Chapter 6

Between Two Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6

Hakyeon

    I left shortly after Wonsik joined us. Hongbin lead me back to the staircase, and from there I returned to the closet. Using the key provided I entered the room set the dial back to H and went home. I had made sure to remember the twists and turns behind the painting of the late king. The small room was used for The frequent meeting with the rebels. They stated that rather than acting out violently, they preferred to get close to the prince and try to talk him into an agreement.

They had used underhanded and violent methods to deal with the former king and his advisor, but insisted that they were both mean, and hot blooded. They thrived on the pain and suffering of anyone that was not them. They ate lavishly, and spent their money rapidly. The Prince was said to keep to himself. He like to eat just as his father had, but rather than eating large feasts that cost a fortune, the Prince would eat almost anything. He never turned his nose up at a meal. Before his father’s passing, he often was found with the hounds, horses, or playing a ball game with knights or young boys.

When this information had been passed along to the Prince of Vannes, he had opted to try to befriend the other prince. Hongbin and Jaehwan had informed me that the Prince of Vannes was a cheerful man, smiling often. He compliments the staff and treats them very well, almost like family. He had been raised close to his mother, as a second son, he was never supposed to end up ruling, so his father ignored him. His older brother and father were also harsh men. They thought the world belonged to hem, and would fight everyone to get it or keep it. They were attacked by pirates while at sea. Or that is how they said the rumors went. It had been nearly four years since the King of Vannes and the first Prince had been home. Everyone assumed them dead.

With pride Hongbin spoke with pride about how both Vannes and Saint Malo have thrived since each Prince had come to rule. He was very hopeful that they would be able to end the ongoing feud between the lands.

So far no one had been lucky talking the Prince of Saint Malo into a meeting with the Prince of Vannes, but at least there had been no attacks from either party. This is where I came in. Seeing me in a dress, the three pleaded with me to try to seduce the Prince.

 

As I walked down the school hallway toward my locker, I thought to myself, “I don’t have to go back. I don’t have to wear a dress and try to seduce a Prince. It’s kinda dangerous. If I get found out, I’d likely lose my head.”

I stopped at my locker and fiddled with the dial. When I turned around Taekwoon was standing behind me with one corner of his backpack slung over a shoulder. I jumped, “Goodness! You scared me.”

Unphased he nodded toward the door to the outside. “The bus will be there in five minutes.”

I glanced at my watch in shock, and saw that he was correct. I grabbed the books I needed for that evening, and rushed into the room to grab my things. I pulled the key from around my neck and put it into the stained pencil case and then stuffed my pencil case into my desk. I arrived at the bus stop with a minute to spare. Taekwoon was already waiting, and greeted me with nod. The bus was five minutes late. After two minutes the silence started to wear on me.

“So,” I started. “Why were you still at school?” He looked at me. I took in his wet hair and gym bag, “Ah, basketball again?” He nodded.

The silence resumed. The wind blew, pushing cold spring air through my thin sweater. Taekwoon ped his bag and pulled out the jacket to his tracksuit for gym. He tossed it to me as the bus pulled up and boarded the bus without looking back.

 

Taekwoon

    After playing basketball alone in the gym, I was shocked to see that Hakyeon was still at school. I debated for a moment before I made up my mind to approach him. I walked up behind him, and saw that he was lost in his own thoughts. When he turned around and saw me, I nearly laughed at his little jump.

I informed him that it was getting late and that if he hurried we would be able to catch the next bus. He thanked me and darted into the classroom to  gather his things. I watched him from the doorway for a moment, but once he was nearly ready to go, I hurried away. For some reason,the thought of him knowing that I was waiting made me worried. I acted as though I had been waiting at the stop and greeted him with a nod. He smiled and returned my greeting warmly, as he always does. We sat there is silence, but we could both feel the growing tensi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter