Chapter 16

Between Two Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 16

Hakyeon

Once girls started to arrive, Wonsik led me outside to where a carriage with Hongbin's family crest was waiting. He held out his hand to help me into it. I wanted to slap it away and get in on my own, but knowing that I had started playing my role as a lady from a wealthy family, I knew it would be best to take his hand and allow him to help me.

I gave him a polite nod, which he returned with a bow and shut the door with a smile and good luck. It was a very odd exchange.

The carriage drove me around to the front of the palace where I joined a long line of other girls waiting to be helped from their carriages to be let in. On the red leather seats of the carriage was an envelope. I carefully opened the envelope with a lace gloved hand. Inside was an invitation addressed to N. They had given me the name Natalie, but stated that I go by N, that it was a nickname given by my later father.

They had created a very elaborate back story for me, no siblings, both mother and father had passed on. I was now the ward of an old woman who lived far from town, but was close with Hongbin's family, which was cause for the invitation.

I felt the most difficult part would be pretending I didn't know my friends. This was proven true when the door opened to show Hyuk dressed in a doorman's uniform. He dropped into a sweeping bow, and flashed a bright smile at me. "Allow me to assist you, my lady." Still bowing he held out his hand above his head.

"Thank you." I delicately place my hand in his and gracefully exited.

"Do you have your invitation?" He asked. I nodded and handed it to him using both hands. He took it from me with another polite bow. and pulled the invitation from the envelope. He read over it. "Please come this way Miss Cha." He bowed again and directed me toward the entrance. I thanked him again and took back the invitation.

I looked around and saw that there were other women also being directed inside. A few were napping about their belongings, or insisting that they not be touched by the 'help.' I could not help but shake my head in disgust. "The prince would be insane to pick a girl with an attitude like that."

"I'm glad to hear you agree." I tuned to see a girl with black hair pulled into a braid that was then wrapped into a long bun at the back of her head. She wore a similar dress to mine, in pale green. He held out a gloved hand, "My name is Emilie. I hope we can be friends."

I smiled warmly. "My name is Natalie, but most people call me N. I think I could definitely use a friend among a group like this."

Emilie let out a small chuckle behind her lace glove. I made a mental note to cover my mouth when laughing. Emilie and I walked inside together, and were pointed into a  large drawing room where a few of the other girls were already seated.

We found chairs and sat. One of the men approached us and asked us if we would like something to drink. We both answered that tea would be wonderful. The weekend had only started, but it was going really well so far.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. Once all of the girls had arrived. The Queen, the prince's mother, entered with her three grown daughters. She addressed the room with her hands firmly clasped in front of her. "I will be around to visit each small group. My daughters will be going around as well." As she spoke she turned her upper body, back and forth, slightly to face everyone, while keeping her feet planted. "I would like to have you get into groups of five." She gave a small clap and dismissed us to get into our groups.

Emilie and I were approached by a group of three girls. One of which, had been causing a significant ruckus outside. I inwardly rolled my eyes, but stood to greet them warmly, holding out my hand and introducing myself. The girl who had caused the issue held out her hand to shake, and then wiped it on her handkerchief after, earning giggles from the two henchwomen at her side. "I am Mauve." She drew out her name. It sounded like a rich wine. We sat down, and Mauve immediately set to work getting Emilie to be another of her Henchwomen.

"Oh, Emilie, your skin is like porcelain, what do you do to keep it in such a state." one of the girls cooed,  

Emilie blushed and her eyes fell to her hands under the table. I smiled as her actions reminded me of a certain someone back home.

"What about you Natalie?" Mauve said my name as though it were dirty, "What ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter