Chapter 5: Aquarium & butterflies

He's Beautiful

 

Author's Note: Hi everyone~ I'm baccck! You missed me, right? I'm sorry for my long hiatus T_T School required every bit of strenth and will inside me that it took me quite a while to finish this chapter. I promise that I made it worth the wait. I hope you didn't give up one me~ T_T I'll still continue writing stories. Please continue sending love to my story. Thank you~ *CHU!*


"Chayeon-ah, 이러나..." Chayeon's mom has been repeating this for the nth time, and finally after many tries, it took Chayeon away from her deep sleep.

"Ughhhh....." Chayeon complained, "It's a weekend, Mom."

"But someone is waiting for you downstairs. I thought you have plans!" her mom cried out.

Chayeon suddenly got up, shocked. "Someone? Who is it?" Chayeon is starting to get panicky.

"I don't know. I didn't ask. I think he's a guy from your school."

"Is he gay?" Chayeon asked suddenly that it caught her mom off guard. Seungho is the last person she could think of that would ever visit her but after what happened to her yesterday, there is a slight chance it might be him.

"Why would you even ask that?" her mom asked, exasperated.

"Well..." Chayeon was thinking of a way to explain it, not that having a gay friend is really a secret but Chayeon hasn't told her about Seungho yet and it's weird to talk about it now, "Just...just tell me if he looks or acts like a gay."

"Well, no. Not really. In fact, he's quite charming." Chayeon's mom answered, she's starting to sound dreamily, but suddenly got hold of herself and said, "Well you better hurry up because your Dad is interrogating him. You know, it's the first time a guy actually--" But before her mom could finish what she's saying she already dashed off downstairs.

Chayeon stopped dead in her tracks when she saw Hanyeol. 

"Hanyeol-ah, what are you doing here?" she asked meekly. Hanyeol and her dad suddenly looked at her direction, Chayeon's mom came rushing after her shouting, "Chayeon-ah! You can't show him your bare face!" Chayeon's mom stopped dead in her tracks too when she saw that the two boys are looking in their direction.

But it was too late. Chayeon already faced Hanyeol with her pajamas on, extremely awful bed hair and her pale bare face.

"You're such a lucky guy!" her dad exclaimed, "You're the first guy she ever showed her bare face to!"

"Daaaad!" Chayeon shrieked, "Stop it! Of course, it's the first time someone actually came here."

"Well, could you introduce him to us?" her mom asked cheerfully. 

"Dad's been talking to him for quite some time now, I'm pretty sure he already knows my friend's name. Right, Dad?"

"Nope." Chayeon's dad answered, "You're the one who's supposed to introduce him to us."

Chayeon went toward Hanyeol, stomping loudly. Hanyeol finds it so cute. "I can't believe I'm actually doing this." she muttered under her breath. "Mom...Dad...this is my friend, Hanyeol." Chayeon said lifelessly. 

"It's nice meeting you, Hanyeol!" her mom exclaimed.

"Can you please leave us for a moment?" Chayeon asked. She was so done with everything, including her parents.

"Sure. We'll just prepare brunch." Chayeon's mom said, and then she faced Hanyeol and said, "Please join us, okay?" 

Hanyeol smiled and nodded.

Chayeon walked towards the seat in front of Hanyeol and when she was finally sure that her parents are out of earshot, she started speaking, but before she could, Hanyeol went on first.

"I know what you're going to say. You're probably angry for this surprise visit. But that's the thing, it's a surprise, and I did well, right? I surprised you, right?" Hanyeol's voice is starting to sound softer and softer, "I was expecting you'll be awake because it's almost lunch time and I'll be able to explain everything to your parents easily with you around, but I didn't know you are such a heavy-sleeper." Hanyeol finished. He was frantically explaining himself.

"Why would you visit me on a weekend? If you're going to check on me, well, as you could see, it's pretty obvious that I'm fine." 

"I'm glad to see you're okay." Hanyeol said, "But I was thinking if you'd like to go out today. You know, unwind after what happened yesterday."

"You know, I have everything here at home to help me unwind. I'd rather stay here." Chayeon answered back.

"Then...can I stay here with you?" Hanyeol asked, full of hope

Chayeon let out a sarcastic laugh. She cannot believe Hanyeol's guts.

"So is this your way of asking to return the favor? I know I created so much fuss yesterday...and I'm sorry about it--"

Hanyeol cut her off and said, "Believe me, I was more than willing to help you. I could do that forever...but then, if that's the only way to be able to ask you out then I'm asking you to pay back the favor."

Chayeon has no other choice but to agree. She let out a sigh and said, "그래." 

Hanyeol smiled. He tried controlling his happiness. He wanted to hug Chayeon so bad but he knows that Chayeon would just push him away so instead he looked for an excuse to approach her and touch her face.

"Chayeon-ah, you have something here." Hanyeol said as he reaches out towards Chayeon's lips and wipes off the dirt in her face. Chayeon tensed up but did not protest. It took her a moment to realize that Hanyeol's face is getting closer to hers so she looked away and wiped off the dirt on her face by herself.

Hanyeol noticed how she suddenly made Chayeon flustered so he even more, "You look pretty even with your bare face." 

"뭐?" Chayeon stattered. She didn't know how to react over what he said. Thankfully, her mom finally called them for breakfast.

"Brunch is ready!" Chayeon's mom shouted, "Hurry up the two of you!"


The breakfast table was pretty silent except for the clanging of spoons and forks and its collision with the plates. It was Chayeon's mom who broke the silence.

"Hanyeol, I didn't know what you'd like to eat." Chayeon's mom began, "I just cook what we usually eat for breakfast. It's American-style, I hope you don't mind." she finished.

"No, I love it. I actually lived in America for 10 years before I went here. It's actually nice to eat American food once in a while. I'm getting tired of the same old stuff." Hanyeol reassured.

"Oh really? You're the same with Chayeon then. Except that she left later."

"I see. Why did you migrated here then?" Hanyeol asked.

"Well..." Chayeon's mom took a while before she could answer. Chayeon and her parents exchanged looks before her mom could answer, "Life is hard in America. And my in-laws wanted us to try the life in here, and so far, it's good."

"I'm glad you're liking it here." Hanyeol smiled.

It's now Chayeon's dad's turn to speak. 

"So...young man,” Chayeon’s dad faced Hanyeol, “What brought you here on a weekend?" he asked.

"Uhm...I was thinking about asking Chayeon out--" Hanyeol began, he did not have the chance to finish what he was saying because Chayeon's dad did it for him.

"On a date?" Chayeon's dad's voice is becoming louder.

"Well..." Hanyeol began, and that's when Chayeon decided to in.

"No Dad, we're just going out." Chayeon reasoned.

"On a date." Chayeon's dad continued her reply for her.

"Noooo! It's not a date!" Chayeon insisted. 

Hanyeol did not dare speak. He was beginning to look uncomfortable on his seat. Chayeon’s mom wanted to save the poor guy and decided to stop the two, “The two of you stop it. We have a guest.” But Chayeon’s dad did not listen, nor care.

“Then what is it?” Chayeon’s dad pushed.

“We’re just going to eat out and talk and walk around the place--” Chayeon was beginning to get annoyed.

“On a date. Stop arguing with me Chayeon. That’s what people do on a date.” Chayeon’s dad said.

“Fine. I give up. If that’s how you want to call it. But it’s not a date, it’s like a date, but it’s not one.” Chayeon gave up, but was trying to reason out for one last time.

Chayeon’s dad has his winning smile on and then faced Hanyeol again and asked, “So where are you planning to bring my daughter for your date?” Chayeon’s dad put emphasis on the word date. Chayeon decided to just ignore his father and rolled her eyes.

“I wanted it to be a spontaneous trip. Whatever Chayeon likes, we’ll go with it.” Hanyeol nervously replied.

And then Chayeon’s father let out a loud laugh and asked, “Do you even know my daughter?”

“I’m getting there. I want to know her better that’s why I wanted to invite her out. But I don’t know that much yet.” Hanyeol replied.

“That is probably why you’re thinking that your trip could be spontaneous.” Chayeon’s dad said in between laughs, “My daughter is lazy, if you’re going to ask her where she’d like to be, she’d say she want to be in her bed, and I wouldn’t want you two to be in a bed.”

Hanyeol let out a nervous laugh.

“So you better plan ahead because you wouldn’t get any interesting suggestions from her. She might even bore you.” Chayeon’s dad added.

Chayeon couldn’t take it anymore. Her dad is speaking way too much, “I like aquariums too so you shouldn’t worry, Dad.” and then she eyed her father to show him that she getting annoyed.

“Ah yeah. Aquariums. Forgot about that.” Chayeon’s dad fidgeted. The atmosphere turned awkward again but then Chayeon’s mom came to the rescue. “Chayeon-ah, why don’t you get dressed already? You don’t want to waste any more time. Hanyeol’s been waiting for quite a while now. I’m going to help you get prepared.”

Chayeon agreed and told Hanyeol wait for her for a while. Hanyeol didn’t want any more second with Chayeon’s father, he had enough questions for today, so she told her that he’ll be waiting outside instead. Chayeon didn’t argue anymore.


Chayeon had a hard time on deciding what to wear. She wanted to dress like she usually does but she’s afraid of what Hanyeol might think, but then again, Hanyeol already saw her bare face, how worse could it get? And besides, Hanyeol is just her friend, and it’s not a date so nothing to worry about.

Still, she doesn’t want to go overdressed or underdressed. Thankfully, her mom was there to help her. Chayeon ended up wearing a simple white dress with a denim jacket over it.

As Chayeon makes her towards the door, her mom suddenly hugged her, “Chayeon-ah~ I’m happy you’re making friends.”

“엄마, why are you becoming so emotional?” Chayeon let out a little laugh.

Chayeon’s mom held Chayeon’s face with her hands and smiled, “I’m getting emotional because I’m happy for you. I’m happy that you’re adjusting well.”

“Thank you, Mom. I will always be grateful to you and dad.” Chayeon replied. Chayeon’s mom then gave Chayeon a warm smile and then tapped her shoulder and prompted her to go ahead.

Chayeon then headed downstairs, said goodbye to her father and made her way to their front door.  “Sorry it took a while.” Chayeon said as she was walking towards Hanyeol.

“No problem. Should we go?” Hanyeol asked. Chayeon responded then with a nod, but then hesitated in an instant. Hanyeol noticed Chayeon’s hesitation, “괜찮아?”

“You know I can’t sit in the passenger’s seat, right?” Chayeon replied, avoiding Hanyeol’s gaze.

“I thought it was only because of what happened yesterday.”

“No. I can never seat in the passenger seat. Like ever. So if you don’t mind, can I stay at the back seat instead?” Chayeon asked.

Hanyeol is disappointed but it’s not as if he has a choice. He cannot argue or he’ll lose the chance to take Chayeon out. Without a word, he opened the door on the backseat for Chayeon.

Hanyeol made a mental note earlier about Chayeon’s interest on aquariums so without asking he headed for COEX Aquarium. It felt kind of awkward for Hanyeol to have Chayeon at the back seat. He has to constantly check on her using the rear view mirror and it hurt his neck so much from craning time to time. He was so tempted to ask Chayeon why won’t she sit on the passenger seat but he didn’t want to ruin to mood so he didn’t push it anymore.

Oddly enough, Chayeon started talking, “Stop it. You don’t have to check on me every 5 minutes, I’m okay. But if the reason you’re looking at me is that you’re interested or curious about the truth on my dislike over passenger seat, then I’ll tell you…if that’s the only way to make you stop looking at me.

“It’s okay. You don’t have to.” Hanyeol stammered.

“Don’t worry, it’s okay. It’s just an accident I got into last year. Nothing major. I was sitting in the passenger seat when it happened so it got me a little scared.” said Chayeon.

“Nothing major? It traumatized you from sitting on passenger seats! How is that nothing major?”

“Geez. You’re overreacting! Traumatized is such a big word. I’m just a little scared, that’s all.” Chayeon reassured.

“I’m not believing anything you’re saying right now,” said Hanyeol, “You don’t have to act all brave and strong now. I know how much Yeeun’s words yesterday affected you so much. There’s nothing wrong about being scared, or admitting your weakness, and even losing! It’s part of living.”

“You act as if you know so much about life.” Chayeon muttered as she looks at the window, suddenly turning sullen.

“Maybe I do. I lost on too many battles, I had to recognize and accept my weakness first before I was able to become stronger and adjust to my brand new surroundings. Life in Korea is hard at the beginning but you’ll get hang of it. I’ll help you.”

Chayeon didn’t know what to say; all she was able to do was look at Hanyeol’s eyes in the rear view mirror. Hanyeol smiled at her, but Chayeon didn’t know how to respond to it. To all of it. Hanyeol’s words that seemed so sincere and his smile so warm that matches his eye smile.

Luckily for Chayeon, they already arrived on their destination that she didn’t have to respond, “Oh! We’re here! I’ll go ahead!” she said and then hurriedly opened the car door and went out. She was preparing to sprint towards the ticket booth but Hanyeol suddenly called her out, “Chayeon-ah!” Chayeon was so afraid to face him. It turned very awkward for her all of a sudden, “I’ll just park the car. Wait for there!” Chayeon was so relieved upon hearing this, “Okay! I’ll just buy the tickets!”

Chayeon went on to buy the tickets and after a few minutes, Hanyeol came back to meet her. Hanyeol didn’t greet Chayeon immediately upon seeing her because is talking to someone on his phone, “Thank you. I’ll see you then.” Hanyeol then finished the call and faced Chayeon, “Sorry. Did you wait for too long?”

“No, it’s okay. I already bought the tickets. It’s my way of repaying you for yesterday’s lunch and for all the fuss I caused you. I apologize.”

“It’s okay~” Hanyeol cheerfully replied, ruffling Chayeon’s hair as if she’s a kid. Before Chayeon could protest, Hanyeol took her by the hand and said, “가자!” Chayeon was taken aback by Hanyeol’s actions but it wasn’t long before Chayeon was laughing like an elementary student together with Hanyeol.


The two went all around the aquarium park until they felt too tired to walk. They sat down on the bench and Hanyeol bought snacks for the both of them.

“You like aquariums so much, don’t you?” Hanyeol asked.

Chayeon nodded, “It’s so fun to look at underwater animals and see them swim around. It has a calming and soothing effect to see them like that. I like it so much.”

Hanyeol couldn’t contain his happiness seeing Chayeon like this. So precious and so warm.

Chayeon suddenly noticed Hanyeol’s staring, “Stop looking at me like that. It’s embarrassing.”

“미안해, I can’t help it.” Hanyeol knew it’s going to sound cheesy, but it’s the truth. A thought suddenly came into Hanyeol so he asked, “Oh! Chayeon-ah!”

“왜?”

“Does Seungho know about our trip today?” Hanyeol asked.

“Oh…Seungho! I forgot! I should’ve texted him. I’ll do it now.”

Chayeon took out her phone and was all ready to text Seugho, but Hanyeol stopped her before she could. “Please don’t. I mean, not now. He might not react well when he hears about this.”

Chayeon thought about it and realized Hanyeol was right. She needs to tell it to him personally so that she could explain herself freely, “You’re right. It’s not the right time.”

Hanyeol suddenly stood up, “Shall I take you home now? Your dad might get angry if you’re out too late.”

“You’re trying so hard to win my dad, it’s funny. But you’re right, we should get going.” Chayeon stood up too and together they made their way to the doors.


When they we’re finally out of the aquarium park, Chayeon noticed that Hanyeol wasn’t making way towards the parking lot, instead he was walking towards the direction of the taxis. Before Chayeon could ask, Hanyeol spoke up, “Let’s take the taxi home.”

“Why? What happened to your car?” Chayeon nervously asked.

“Don’t worry, my car is okay. Let’s just ride the taxi home instead.”

“Why?” Chayeon was so confused about Hanyeol’s decisions.

“I really just want to ride the taxi with you. I want to sit beside you. If we ride my car, I’ll have to leave you alone in the back seat again and I don’t want that to happen. Let’s just both stay in the backseat. Please~ Just allow me to seize the day.” Hanyeol begged and explained at the same time.

Chayeon felt like she has no choice but to grant Hanyeol’s wish. “Fine, fine! But how about your car? What are you going to do with it?” Chayeon asked.

“My car’s going to be okay. Earlier, before we went in, I already asked our driver to get the car. The person I was talking to earlier was our driver. He couldn’t stay out this late so he had to get the car early and I had no better idea but to take the taxi because he couldn’t wait for us. So, shall we go?” Hanyeol playfully held out his arm to Chayeon.

Chayeon couldn’t explain what she was feeling. She doesn’t even know if she was really supposed to feel that way. Hanyeol made her feel butterflies in her stomach because of his undying effort. He was even willing to ride the taxi just to sit beside her. Chayeon can’t admit it verbally but she really had so much fun and she finally confirmed that Hanyeol’s intentions are pure and true. She then took Hanyeol’s arms and they walked on towards the taxis. 


Author's Note: You waited so long, right? I’m really sorry. I hope you enjoyed Chapter 5. I don’t know when can I write Chapter 6…but I will! I promise~ I’ll see you then!^^