Chapter 3: The School Heartthrob

He's Beautiful

"So how long have you been here in Korea?" Seungho asked. They entered the library and chose the table farthest to all the students. 

"I was actually born here, but my mom and dad had to bring me to America for some kind of treatment." Chayeon answered. 

"Wait...you're sick?" Seungho asked, completely shocked.

"I was sick," Chayeon said, putting emphasis on the was, "But I'm pretty much okay now. The treatment was successful, thankfully."

"You sure? Because I don't want to be friends with a sick person. I don't want to get attached to you and then mourn when you die. I hate losing someone that way."

This made Chayeon laugh. Chayeon is beginning to notice the change in Seungho's voice. Its pitch and tone. Seungho is beginning to show more of who he really is in front of her.

"Don't worry, I don't have any plans to leave early." Chayeon reassured. 

Seungho went back to what they were talking about earlier, "How old were you when you left?", he asked.

"A year old." 

"And when did you come back?"

"Just this year. A few months ago, I guess." Chayeon admitted.

"What?! So you literally have little to no knowledge about Korea, or even speaking Korean?"

"Well, I speak a little Korean. My mom and dad speak Korean when they're at home so I picked up a few words from them, and I watch a lot of Korean dramas so I learn a few more words, and learn about Korean culture!"

"You learn Korean culture from Korean dramas?!"

"Yes!" Chayeon answered. She seems so proud of herself.

"I can't believe you...not everything you see and learn on TV is true or correct! Korean dramas, romance in particular which I'm pretty sure the ones you usually watch, sugarcoat everything! I even doubt you watch historical dramas. PROPER and ACCURATE historical dramas."

"Wow...you know so much about me."

There were a few seconds of silence, until Seungho asked again, "So why did you come back?"

The question was so sudden it took Chayeon a back. It took her a while to answer.

"Why don't we keep our personal matters to ourselves, eh?"

"You want to do it that way? I'm fine with that but I'm telling you, you will regret it. I won't ever tell you anything about myself and you're going to die in curiosity about my true identity."

"Wow...this guy knows how to play with me well." Chayeon thought.
"Fine!" she said. She took a lot of deep breaths, like a lot. She opened to speak a lot of times, but closed it again and just went back to thinking. After a few agonizing minutes for Seungho, she finally spoke up, "Can...can we just talk about it some other time?"

Seungho can't help but bang his head on the table. So hard it startled Chayeon.

"It's just that, I can't bring myself to talk about it...YET!" She hurriedly added the yet and said it quite loudly than the rest.

Seungho looked at Chayeon again and said, "Fine with me. I just can't understand what's so hard about talking about the reason why you came back...it could be because your mom and dad wants to go back to their roots or something like that."

"It's not just something like that. Trust me on this. Please understand."

"Don't worry, I understand. But how do we get to know each other some more when we can't talk about some things? I didn't know where to begin, and when we did, we can't even talk about about some things."

Chayeon felt bad about her inability to talk about her past. But it's really too hard for her. She's afraid that the truth might ruin their budding friendship, but she's already ruining it without even talking about her ugly past.

So Chayeon tried her best to think of way so that they can get to know each other better without digging up their deepest secrets, her secrets in particular.

Seungho was looking around the library, probably trying to find something interesting to talk aboit or helpful for Chayeon's Korean, when Chayeon said, "Ah! I know!" It startled Seungho more than it should have. "Sorry...got a little excited." Chayeon muttered.

Chayeon excitedly took out her laptop and went into bussiness. Seungho was expectant.

With a click, Chayeon smiled and then looked at Seungho. She wants to see him get excited.

"Ta-daaaa!" Chayeon said cheerfully and then faced the laptop to Seungho.

Seungho couldn't believe his eyes.

WHO IS YOUR SM ROOKIE SOULMATE?

Chayeon went to a site where you take quizzes to find your SM ROOKIE SOULMATE?!

"Are we seriously doing this?" Seungho said, eyeing Chayeon with an annoyed face.

"Why? What's wrong with it? It'll be fun!" Chayeon reasoned.

"Wow. I didn't you were this low. You enjoy this type of quizzes?" 

"Yes! And besides, do you have better ideas?" Chayeon asked.

Seungho thought for a while, but it did not last very long. He shook his head to say no.

"Let's do it then!" Chayeon probed.

"Is this really the only way?" 

Chayeon nodded while pouting her lips.

"Well.....okay! Let's do it." Seungho suddenly rushed into Chayeon's side and shrieked. Chayeon was utterly shocked.

"Oh...sorry. I got a little to excited. Hihihi."

It dawned on Chayeon that Seungho was lying all along. Still, she was happy that she is getting to see Seungho better. "Eyyyy, just a minute ago you we're so against this idea and now--"

"Do you want to get through this or not?" Seungho went serious again. Chayeon is in awe with how quick Seungho could change his mood. He went from cold, to excited, to someone serious.

"알았어 알았어, let's begin. Question number 1: "'What type of personality are you most drawn to?'"

"Hmmm...what do you say?" Seungho asked.

"Me? I'd say funny and handsome."

"Eyyy, so you're the type of person who goes for looks?"

"You're so judgemental. Of course not. I chose that because it's the only option with funny. I like funny boys. I like boys who make me really comfortable when I'm with them." Chayeon defended, "How about you?" she finished.

"Cool and mysterious. I think it gives more excitement when someone is mysterious. Everyday you learn and discover something about him."

With Seungho's response, Chayeon let out a small sarcastic laugh.

"Are you judging me?" Seungho asked.

"Nope. It's just weird hearing a contrasting point of view with mine. Mysterious boys aren't my type."

"Let's not argue about it. Question number 2, 즈세요."

"'What scenario would you want your boyfriend to ask you out in?'" Chayeon recited.

There were a lot of choices to choose from. "This is exciting, but hard!", Seungho exclaimed.

"Well, I'm gonna go with the surprises me on our way home. It would be nice to have someone prepare something special for you, but I like it better when things happen unplanned, or just happens in the spur of the moment. I guess what boys say when they’re unprepared are truly from their hearts."

“I love the amusement park so I’ll go with that option.”

Seungho decided not make any comment about Chayeon's answer and just gave out his answer, “Amusement parks are fun. Let’s go to one someday.”

“Are you asking me out? Because the answer is no.”

Chayeon choked. “Excuse me?! Are you only allowed to go to the amusement park with your future 남자친구?!”

“I’m just making sure.”

“Could you stop translating everything I say with either I like you or I’m asking you out.”

“I’ll do that. But can I ask you something?”

“What is it?”

“Have you…ever had a boyfriend?”

Chayeon eyed Seungho like she couldn’t take him anymore. “I haven't, why?” she answered in an annoyed manner.

“Oh nothing,” Seungho answered, letting out a silent laugh that he tried to hold on to, “It’s just too obvious. You’re such a hopeless romantic who loves fluffy romances and could write a cheesy kdrama in 2 weeks.”

Chayeon did not respond to his comment. She read out the next question instead.

“What is the country you would like to visit with your boyfriend?”

Seungho found the country Paris and decided to say another teasing retort but before he could do so, Chayeon voiced out her answer.

“I’d like to go to New York.”

“What? I thought you’ll go cliché again and choose Paris.”

“Believe me Seungho-ya, I’m no cliché.”

They answered a few more questions until they reached the last two questions in the quiz.

How would you and your rookie boyfriend spend Valentine’s Day?

Chayeon chose playing their favorite games together filled with laughter while Seungho chose rooftop date with candlelight dinner.

“I guess you’re the one cliché, Seungho-ya. I can see that you’re this type that wants to be pampered and extremely taken care of by his lover.” Chayeon chided.

“Can we just go to the last question?”

“Fine. ‘Which scenario would you like to be in?’ Since I’m such a cliché to you, why don’t you guess my answer?”

“Okay then. Let’s see. A quite guy that always surprises you with a hug?”

“EHH! Wrong!” said Chayeon, with a smirk in the face.

“Then what is it?”

“A sarcastic guy who has a sweet side and would always lend his jacket to me.”

“Lend his jacket to you?! Ha! That’s totally from a kdrama!”

Chayeon rolled her eyes and said, “Let me guess yours.”

“If you’re feeling so confident, then try me.” With a smirk, he crossed his arms and faced Chayeon.

“Let me guess, a sweet guy who would bring an umbrella or flats for you?”

Seungho lost the smirk and looked down.

“I’m correct, right? Ha! I knew you’re that type!”

“Fine, fine. You win.”

Chayeon was doing her happy dance when Seungho looked up again and saw someone.

Seungho shrieked, this time, even louder.

“야!!! You scared me! The librarian will get angry!” scolded Chayeon.

“B-but…he’s here…” Seungho replied dreamily.

“누구??” Chayeon asked, suddenly overwhelmed by the fact that she’s actually seeing the true Seungho without any pretentions. Seungho truly became comfortable with her.

“Hanyeol!” Seungho replied in a matter-of-fact way

“Hanyeol?” Chayeon asked, looking into the direction where Seungo is looking lovingly. And there he saw, the university’s heartthrob. Chayeon knows him by face, but not by name. He is always followed by the girls that Chayeon lost interest in even knowing him. “Ahh…Hanyeol. So that’s his name.”

Seungho doesn’t take notice of her and started panicking, “Ahhh~ what should I do?”

“Stop it! Why are you panicking?! Let’s go!” Chayeon said, while grabbing and packing up her things.

The last part made Seungho freeze. “What? Where?”

“To him.” Chayeon said in a way as if it’s expected that he knows it.

“Are you out of your mind?!” Seungho asked.

“Well, I may still be single until now, but I’m more experienced than you make me. The only way to get noticed by your crush is to talk to them!”

“I’m not doing that!”

“Oh yes you are. Let’s go!”

Seungho doesn’t understand himself either, but he followed Chayeon even though it was such a crazy idea.

Hanyeol with his two friends went to the Science section bookshelves. Chayeon and Seungho followed them and hid on the corner.

“What is he looking for?” whispered Seungho.

Chayeon took a peek, “I think it’s for his Science project or something.”

“He’s so hardworking, totally my style.” Seungho started to look dreamily again.

“Hardworking, my . I barely even see him here! I bet he does this for show.”

Chayeon risked another peek. This time Hanyeol saw her. They’re eyes met for a split second, but Chayeon instantly broke off the connection.

Seungho saw Chayeon wide-eyed so he asked, “What happened?”

“He saw me.” Chayeon muttered.

“What?!”

“He saw me! What do we do?!” Chayeon started panicking.

“Stopped panicking, I’m going crazy he—“Seungho was becoming so loud that Chayeon had to put her finger over Seungho’s lips and shush him.

“Here’s what we’re going to do…let’s just…just walk and act like nothing happened and we don’t know him and we don’t care about him.”

Seungho expected a better plan from Chayeon, but it’s better than nothing so he just nodded.

“Okay, just follow my lead. Remember don’t look at him! Just.Look.Straight.” Chayeon said firmly.

Seungho nodded and off they go.

Chayeon put up her most innocent face once again and walked like nothing’s wrong. She risked a few minor gaze and saw that Hanyeol is looking at them as if they we’re crazy people. Chayeon just went on, it’s not as if she can do something about it.

Chayeon looked down and tried to see if Seungho is following him, she did not notice that she was colliding with Yeeun, the ferocious highschool wannabe.

“Ow!” she grimaced but then instantly apologized.

“Are you blind?” Yeeun asked.

“Wow this girl has some attitude.” she thought, she instantly regretted apologizing to her. “Well, are you?” she asked, “Because if you’re not, then it’s obvious that I’m not blind.” she finished.

Seungho hurriedly rushed to Chayeon’s side and asked, “You okay?”

“Oh!!! So this is the girl you’re choosing over me, Seungho darling?” Yeeun asked in her annoying high-pitched voice.

“Stop it. I’m not in the mood to talk to you, Yeeun.” Seungho replied.

“So after meeting this girl you became so cold to me? Why? She isn’t that pretty. She’s average. I wonder why you picked her.”

“Maybe because I’m prettier than you.” Chayeon butted in. It was so unexpected that when Yeeun looked at Chayeon her annoyed shocked face is extremely funny to look at.

“Exxxxcuse me? Can you hear yourself?” asked Yeeun.

“Earlier you accused me of being blind, now you’re asking me if I’m deaf. I can totally see now why Seungho chooses to hang out with me rather than you.”

“For your information, Seungho is gay.”

“For your information, I know. And another, for your information, just because some people told you you’re pretty doesn’t mean it’s the universal truth. I’ve seen a lot of girls prettier than you. I usually see them at the mirror so for you.”

Yeeun couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She was dumbfounded. Chayeon just embarrassed her in the library, with almost all the students listening.

“Let’s go.” Chayeon said and then pulled Seungho out of the library doors.

Yeeun let out an exasperated laugh.


Author's Note: So what do you think of the new characters? Sorry if there is very little Hanyeol. Don’t worry you’ll get to know a lot about him soon. Leave some comments :) I’d totally appreciate them. Maybe I’d take a break and then go back when you all decided to give my story some love. ㅠㅠ

Disclaimer: I don’t take credit of the quiz. It’s not of my own creation. Credits to Chaeyeong from Quotev. It’s from his/her quiz “Who is your rookie’tine (SM Rookie Quiz) Quiz”; If you want to see the full and official verson, head on to this link.