Chapter Eight

You're So Cute (I Want To Wear You Like A Suit)

So, I've started thinking about how I want to end this story and if it goes the way I've been thinking, there should only be about three chapters left. I won't make any promises, though. This chapter took forever, but I'm almost entirely satisfied with it. Man, writing is hard...

 


 

It's funny how time can change things. If someone had told Sungjong months ago that he would willingly go on a date with his boss, he would've laughed in their face. But now he is in some restaurant downtown with the older man and he can't think of anywhere else he could ever want to be. It still amazes him how much he has come to like Sunggyu (and even more so how much the director seems to like him); the night so far has been full of nothing but smiling and laughing, their attention never straying from each other.

Sungjong has just finished his third (or is it his fourth) glass of wine when he feels a prick of curiosity poking his mind. He had been wondering for a while, but now he allows the alcohol to help him say it out loud (although he probably would've said it even if he was sober). Running his finger along the rim of his glass, the young intern watches his boss closely as he asks, "Have you ever dated anyone in the company?"

"I don't have time to date," Sunggyu says simply, holding the younger boy's gaze. He doesn't seem all that surprised by the sudden question, just amused.

"That wasn't a no."

"Wasn't it?"

"Not to me."

Chuckling softly, the director shakes his head. "I thought it was pretty obvious, but, no, I've never dated anyone at the company. I've never even thought about it until I met you."

Although he tries his hardest not to be swayed, Sungjong can't help the smile that tugs at his lips at the other man's bold confession; he just hopes he isn't blushing. He can’t even think of anything to say, which is a bit unsettling. He probably shouldn’t have had that last glass of wine.

Sunggyu, on the other hand, seems rather pleased with the younger boy’s reaction. Resting his forearms on the table, he leans closer, the curiosity in his eyes almost giving away what he’s about to say. "What about you? Have you dated anyone?"

"When you say 'anyone' do you really mean 'Myungsoo'?" Sungjong doesn’t need to be completely sober to know that was what his boss wanted to ask. He is quite familiar with the older man's jealousy toward his friend— it is absolutely ridiculous and positively adorable.

"W-well, I mean—" Sunggyu stammers, his eyes suddenly straying from the intern's. There really isn't any way he can get out of this when it's so painfully obvious what he truly wanted to say.

Sungjong can barely hold back his laughter, his hand doing a poor job of concealing the sound. He considers teasing the older man by lying and saying he and Myungsoo were once involved, but he's pretty sure that might make his boss cry. Allowing a few giggles to escape, he finally answers the question. "I'm actually kind of like you; I never thought about dating anyone I work with." As much as he resists, the younger boy can't help teasing the director just a little. "There were a few offers, though."

"Really? Who?" Sunggyu reacts just as he imagined, wide-eyed and slack-jawed.

"Don't worry." Sungjong is trying to be assuring, but the smirk he's sporting sort of ruins the sentiment. He can't really help it, though, his boss is just too cute when he's flustered. That must be why he says, "It wasn't anyone important."

He expects his boss to press further, but the older man only smiles, looking surprisingly amused. He even manages a chuckle or two as he notes, "Well, as long as it wasn't Woohyun it doesn't really matter."

Sungjong has to laugh at that as well, if only for the irony. "I don't think he really liked me— or any of the other interns. But he has been pretty nice to me the past couple of weeks; you didn't say anything to him, did you?"

"Not really." Scoffing out a laugh, Sunggyu muses, "What would I even say— 'be nice to my boyfriend or I'll kick your '?"

"Did you just call me your boyfriend?"

Sungjong could've just passed it off as a joke, but he truly is curious. Lately he's been getting the feeling that Sunggyu has something important he wants to ask and he has been waiting for him to pluck up the courage to finally say it. Although it was an accident, Sungjong hopes the fact that he said it at all must mean he's at least thought about it.

Across the table, the director looks ready to disappear as he realizes what he's said; he's staring his wine glass as if it holds all the answers, his hand gripping the stem more ferociously than the blush burning his cheeks. Feeling a tad guilty for putting his boss on the spot, the young intern lays his hand over the other's and gives him an encouraging smile once he finally meets his eye.

"Is that— is that okay?" Sunggyu asks a few moments later, looking less likely to run away but still undeniably nervous.

Smiling even wider, Sungjong nods in agreement almost immediately. "Only if I get to call you mine, too."

"Really?"

"That's kind of how these things work," Sungjong quips, chuckling at the look of disbelief on the older man's face; it seems the director wasn't expecting him to agree so easily, if at all. Which is kind of silly since he had been planning on having this exact conversation days ago, but Sunggyu obviously didn't know that. Rather than enlightening his boss, Sungjong decides to resort to teasing him; he might be a little drunk. "I'm starting to think you've never done this before."

Sunggyu makes an attempt at speaking, but all that comes out is unintelligible sputtering. Realizing he is clearly making a fool of himself, the older man promptly closes his mouth and proceeds to pout like a petulant five-year-old. "You're mean," he grumbles with a halfhearted glare.

Sungjong tries to look apologetic, but it's a bit hard with all the laughing he's busy doing. He does feel a tad bad, though, and he tries to express it by gently squeezing the director's hand. "I'm just kidding; I'm sure you've dated lots of people before."

"Is that a compliment?"

"According to everyone in the office, it's a fact."

"They must be talking about someone else."

"No, I'm pretty sure they meant you. You're the only Kim Sunggyu in the entire building."

"Well, then they're lying," the director insists, not at all pleased at having to defend himself.

"I know." Although he has heard his fair share of rumors about Sunggyu, Sungjong isn't naive enough to actually believe all of them. But that doesn't mean he won't about it. Looking the picture of innocence, the young intern drawls, "But since we're already talking about it, are there any other rumors you want to clear up?"

Sunggyu clearly didn't learn his lesson and once again tries to talk before thinking, his words no more understandable than the last time. His recovery, however, is much better as he clears his throat and stands up. "It's getting late— I think it's time to take you home."

"Aw, we were having fun, though." It's Sungjong's turn to pout now as he lets his boss pull him from his seat; he isn't ready for the night to end, especially not when things are just starting to get interesting.

"You were having fun," the director amends, taking a few bills from his wallet to pay for their meals. "I felt like I was being tortured."

The younger boy is almost positive he is just joking; he doesn't even feel the slightest bit sorry for laughing. He would never say it to his face, but his boss can be a bit dramatic at times. As if proving his point, a fierce scowl darkens the older man's features as he stomps toward the door without bothering to check if the young intern is following behind him. Honestly, Sungjong doesn't know what to do with him sometimes.

Rushing to catch up, he swallows the laughter bubbling in his throat at how childish Sunggyu is being and says, "I just wanted to get to know you better. Don't you want to know more about me too?"

That actually manages to make the director smile, though it's more of a sarcastic smirk. "I'm already learning a lot about you— like how much you like making me suffer."

Sungjong doesn't bother holding back his chuckles this time and he also doesn't deny Sunggyu's statement; there is some truth to it after all. He figures it would be pretty pointless trying to explain how cute the older man looks when he gets flustered. As adorable as that would be to see, it really wouldn't be worth all the whining. But Sungjong still feels a strange urge to tell him anyway— he might be just as childish as Sunggyu. That thought is far from comforting.

 

~*~

 

Despite his never ending complaining, Sunggyu isn't really all that upset. He's a mature adult— he can handle a little teasing. But more importantly, he is completely infatuated with the young intern and there is nothing he enjoys more than seeing the kid smiling and laughing (even if it's at him).

Once they leave the restaurant, Sungjong immediately calls the director's bluff on his threat to take him home. It seems he is very much aware of his power over the older man. Accepting his fate, Sunggyu allows the younger boy to lead him around the bustling streets, only making the slightest fuss once in a while; he's just glad he isn't the only one who doesn't want the night to end. They don't speak much as they walk, but they don't mind the silence.

Their wandering comes to an end a little while later at a small park, the playground instantly catching the young intern's eye. Sunggyu looks on fondly as Sungjong makes a beeline for the swings, leaving him to follow shortly after. For a few minutes he just stands watching the younger boy swing back and forth, his hands in his pockets and an affectionate smile on his face. He's content with just standing there and getting lost in his thoughts until Sungjong starts waving him over.

"Hyung," the young intern calls, his voice filled with laughter. "Come on, it's no fun swinging by myself."

"I'll pass," the director replies as he steps closer. He makes the mistake of looking at the younger boy and almost changes his mind; he really wishes Sungjong would stop being so cute. Attempting to ignore the kid's pouting, Sunggyu stares pointedly into the distance, his arms folded across his chest.

Sungjong is still swinging, completely unaware of his boss' inner turmoil. Or maybe he knows exactly what's going on and he wants to some more. "Are you still mad about what I said earlier?"

"Hardly," the older man scoffs. He wouldn't be half as successful as he is now if he allowed himself to be affected by other people's words. When he finally dares to look in the intern's direction Sunggyu finds the kid staring back at him, an almost irritatingly innocent smile on his face. Hoping to wipe that expression away, he says, "You should be a lot nicer to me, you know, since I'm your boyfriend and all."

Unfortunately, his words only seem to brighten the younger boy's mood, his smile growing wider by the second. "But you're so cute when you're embarrassed."

"I'm not cute." Sunggyu tries to put as much authority into his voice as he can, but even to his own ears it sounds incredibly whiny. He knows he isn't helping his case when he decides to glare and pout at the boy in front of him; he always ends up feeling like a five year old whenever he's around the young intern.

"See? You're totally proving my point." Sungjong looks and sounds exceptionally pleased with himself, his light laughter tinkling in the air. Dragging his feet across the wood chips on the ground, he brings his swing to a stop, his eyes still focused on the director. "You know, you really shouldn't frown so much."

If it weren't for the fond smile on his face, Sunggyu would almost think the kid was making fun of him again. Actually, he kind of does. But despite his doubts, he steps closer to the younger boy until he's standing right in front of him and grumbles, "I'm frowning because of you."

Reaching out, the young intern gently uncrosses the older man's arms and simply replies, "Then I guess I should be the one to fix that."

Before the director can respond, Sungjong leans forward and plants a quick peck on his lips; it only lasts a few seconds, but Sunggyu still feels it even after the kid pulls away.

"How about now?"

His mind having left him the moment he felt the intern's lips on his, the director just stares for a couple of seconds. When his senses finally start coming back to him he poses a question of his own. "Do you still think I'm cute?"

"You're adorable." Sungjong's answer comes quickly, a defiant smirk on his lips.

Figuring he would say something like that, Sunggyu smiles and notes, "You have a lot of work to do, then."

This time he makes the first move, wasting no time leaning in to capture the younger boy's lips as his hand comes to rest against Sungjong's cheek while the other grips tightly to the swing's chain. The kiss is longer and deeper and Sunggyu thinks he could definitely get used to this. Not the kissing— well, yes the kissing— but more so just being with Sungjong. He wonders if tomorrow would be too soon for another date. God, he's hopeless.

 

~*~

 

Not for the first time Sunggyu practically skips into work looking far too happy to be there— especially on a Monday— and not for the first he garners many odd stares from everyone in the building. He pays them no mind, however; it's not like he really cares what they think anyway. But he can't quite ignore Hoya. His assistant never hesitates to state his opinion, whether the director wants to hear it or not. Preparing himself for whatever sarcastic comment the younger man has in store for him, Sunggyu trudges toward the elevators where his secretary stands dutifully, a cup of coffee in one hand and a folder in the other.

Hoya scans him up and down as he approaches, no doubt noticing his unusually good mood. Surprisingly enough, he doesn't say anything right away, although it's obvious he is dying to make a remark. Instead, he pushes the button for the elevator and politely hands the older man the coffee; it is all so civil and frankly terrifying, if Sunggyu is being honest. It isn't until they've stepped into the elevator that Hoya finally speaks his mind, his signature smirk in place.

"It looks like someone got some this weekend."

Sunggyu was expecting him to be a lot harsher, he isn't even half as annoyed as he usually is when his assistant speaks. The younger man must be losing his touch. Raising his cup to his lips, the director inquires, "Got some what?"

"."

Sunggyu nearly spits out the small sip of coffee he'd taken at the unanticipated reply. Unfortunately, most of it gets stuck in his windpipe and he just about coughs up a lung as a result; if he weren't so busy trying not to die, he would kill Hoya for laughing at him instead or helping him. He settles for punching the younger man's arm as hard as he can once he's out of death's grip, his voice a bit hoarse as he asks, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"What— you asked." Looking unapologetic, the secretary shrugs and presses the floor button before crossing his arms over his chest. "Besides, I was just saying what everyone else is thinking."

"What are you talking about?"

"From what I’ve heard, you're having a steamy affair with... someone. No one has quite figured out who it is yet."

"That's ridiculous." And, true— kind of. He wouldn't necessarily call their relationship steamy, although it did have its moments. But that's beside the point. "Where are they even getting this stuff?"

Professional gossiper that he is, Hoya is more than ready to share everything he knows; if only he was this dedicated to his actual job. "They're just trying to figure out why you've turned into Mr. Sunshine all of a sudden. I don't know if you noticed, but you haven't really been acting like yourself lately."

Sunggyu has noticed, he just didn't think it was that big of a deal. Apparently, it is a big deal— to everyone else, anyway. The elevator doors open and he quickly steps out, his assistant trailing after him as he starts the short trek to his office. This whole situation is really getting out of hand and he just wishes things would go back to normal. "Don't they have anything better to do?"

"Don't worry about it; I'm sure they'll find something else to gossip about soon enough." Taking his place behind his desk, Hoya gives the director a confident smile that is almost reassuring.

"Since when were you so nice?" Sunggyu wouldn't doubt him so much if he didn't feel like the other man was getting ready to make fun of him.

"I'm always nice," Hoya scoffs, rolling his eyes at his boss' skepticism. He moves to take a seat, but stops short when he remembers the folder in his hand. "Oh, here; I almost forgot."

Confusion flashing in his eyes, the director hesitantly takes the folder. "What's this?"

"You have to decide which interns to hire."

Oh. So much for things going back to normal. Usually, Sunggyu is able to make decisions without his feelings getting in the way, but it doesn't sound like it will be that easy this time. The fate of Sungjong's future is in his hands and he has no idea what to do. It would be easy enough to just hire him, but it wouldn't be ethical to let personal feelings control his decisions. And if he didn't hire him the younger boy would probably hate him for the rest of his life. The older man certainly has a lot to think about.

"I'm screwed."

 

~*~

 

Although he acted rather relaxed at the time, Sungjong was actually quite thrilled when Sunggyu asked him to be his boyfriend (even if he didn't really mean to). His feelings for the older man have grown a great deal over the past few months and he was glad to know the other felt the same way. After spending the weekend staring off into space with a dopey smile on his face, the intern was eager to get to work so he could share the eventful story with his best friend. Myungsoo had been wary when he first learned of his friend's interest in their boss, but once he had seen that his friend could take care of himself, he stopped worrying so much. He still worried a lot, but he tried to be subtle about it.

Sungjong can only imagine the lecture he will have to endure once he tells the older boy everything. He doesn't let that stop him, however, as he drags Myungsoo into the break room. Woohyun hasn't shown up yet, so they have a few minutes to slack off.

"If you wanted me to get you coffee, all you had to do was ask," Myungsoo drawls, the smirk on his face accompanied by a raised eyebrow. Crossing his arms, he leans against the counter and waits for the younger boy to explain himself.

Sungjong doesn't appreciate his friend's attitude, but he is much too excited to give it more thought. He only rolls his eyes and gets to the real reason they're here. "So, I told you we went on our first date a few days ago, right?"

"I think you mentioned something about that," the dark-haired boy replies just a bit sarcastically, the animated phone call he received still fresh in his mind.

"Well, anyway, he asked me to be his boyfriend," the younger boy continues, a smile finding its way to his lips as he recalls that night. He even chuckles a bit thinking about how it all happened.

Cocking his head to the side, Myungsoo smiles softly at his obviously-smitten best friend. "You really like him, don't you?"

"I do," Sungjong confirms with a shy nod. The smile on his face has grown much bigger, its radiance practically making him glow.

"And I guess he really likes you, too." Sungjong only nods in response this time, his gaze diverting to the floor. The younger boy can be really adorable sometimes, the older intern thinks as he reaches a hand out to brush his fingers through the other's hair. "You know, there are a lot of people who would be really upset if they found out you were dating Director Kim."

The younger boy lifts his head at those words, a few chuckles escaping in the process. Before he has the chance to reply, a new voice suddenly speaks up.

"What are you guys talking about?"

The two interns turn toward the break room door to find Sungyeol standing with his hands on his hips, his round eyes curiously peering between them. Sungjong has no idea when he got there or how much he heard, but he isn't taking any chances. Hoping he sounds more composed than he feels, he shrugs and says, "Nothing."

Myungsoo, on the other hand, looks like a deer in headlights as he asks, "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I wanted to get some coffee, but gossip is fine too." Grinning impishly, Sungyeol steps further into the room, his long legs bringing him closer with only a few strides. "So, who are we talking about?"

"No one." There is no way Sungjong is letting that giant anywhere near the truth.

It appears the tall intern doesn't quite believe him, if his pointed stare is anything to go by. "Yeah right, I heard Myungsoo say something about you and Director Kim."

Sungjong and Myungsoo share a look, panic and uncertainty passing between them in that brief moment before the older of the two finally breaks the silence. "Fine, we'll tell you," he sighs. "But you can't tell anyone. Ever."

The excitement in Sungyeol's eyes dims slightly, a frown tugging at his lips. "What's the point of knowing a secret if you can't tell anyone?"

"Sungyeol," Myungsoo warns, his gaze turning icy.

If he was on the receiving end of that look, Sungjong is sure he would be frozen to the floor, but his long-limbed colleague looks far from scared— he might even be a little bored. The two of them seem to be having a silent conversation as far as the younger boy can tell; it's almost as if they've forgotten he's still there. Sungyeol is the first to look away, letting out a resigned sigh as he finally relents. Smiling in triumph, Myungsoo turns to Sungjong and prompts him to talk.

The young intern glances between his two coworkers for a moment, trying to figure out what he just witnessed. He quickly decides he really doesn't want to know (at least not right now) and focuses his attention on the situation at hand. Running a nervous hand over the back of his neck, he says, "It's not a big deal, but Director Kim and I are dating."

"Oh, I already knew that." The lanky intern looks mildly unimpressed, as if he was expecting a juicier secret.

Sungjong is so stunned he almost doesn't know what to say. "You did? How?"

Sungyeol appears quite pleased with himself as he smirks and replies, "I wasn't sure until I walked in on you guys last week, but it wasn't that hard to put it all together."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Myungsoo actually sounds a little hurt; there may even be a pout forming on his lips.

"I could ask you the same thing."

The two older boys have gone back to that weird staring thing and Sungjong is once again beginning to feel out of place. Before he disappears completely, he steps forward and makes his presence known. "Well, since we all know now, let's try to keep this between the three of us. I would prefer it if people weren't whispering about me behind my back."

"Then you chose the wrong guy to date," Sungyeol notes, that smug smirk back on his face. "I didn't think Director Kim was even your type."

"And what exactly is my type?" Sungjong regrets asking the question as soon as the words leave his mouth; he should know better than to let that tall kid get to him.

Grinning proudly, the long-legged intern folds his arms over his chest and turns his head to the side (probably to show off his profile). His inevitable response soon follows. "Me."

Myungsoo follows that up with a well-timed— and well-deserved— smack to the back of the older boy's head. Sungjong has never felt prouder or more grateful.