Chapter Three

You're So Cute (I Want To Wear You Like A Suit)

This chapter took me a while for a variety of reasons, but it's pretty long, so hopefully that makes up for the wait.


 

It must be some cruel twist of fate that just when Sunggyu decides to talk to Sungjong he practically disappears. With how busy the department has gotten since the start of the new project he should expect it, but it's still a bit frustrating. He's finally worked up the courage to make a proper confession, now he just wishes he and Sungjong could be in the same room for longer than two seconds. The brief glimpses he manages to get make him feel like he's trying to catch a ghost. And it's not like Sunggyu isn't busy himself with the endless meetings he's had to attend over the past few days; he has barely had time to breathe.

But he has had time to think about what he wants to say to Sungjong— it is actually pretty simple (I like you. Do you like me?). When Woohyun told him to talk to the young intern he never said anything about being poetic. Sunggyu is naturally straightforward anyway so he wouldn't be acting out of character. The only problem now is the timing; they are never in the same place at the same time for longer than a moment and it is never just the two of them. He had considered calling or texting, but this is something he would prefer to do face-to-face to better gauge Sungjong's reaction.

Sunggyu has similar thoughts running through his mind as he sits behind his desk attempting to read through a pile of project proposals. The meetings are finally over and he has successfully managed to seclude himself in his office, making sure Hoya knows he doesn't want to be disturbed. Just when he starts contemplating taking a quick nap there is a knock on his door and the director lets out a weary sigh before calling the visitor in; he really should have taken advantage of his free time when he had it.

Assuming it's only his secretary, Sunggyu doesn't bother looking as the person enters, his eyes still skimming through the document in front of him. He finally does look up when a whole minute goes by with nothing but silence; that isn't like Hoya at all. Standing at his door is the last person he expected to see today— and it definitely isn't Hoya. He remains frozen as Sungjong moves further into his office, a small smile pulling at the corners of his mouth. It's the first time in a few days that he has gotten more than a second's glance at the young intern and he briefly wonders if he did actually fall asleep and this is all just a figment of his imagination.

"What are you doing here?"

"Team Leader Nam asked me to bring you this." Stepping up to the director's desk, Sungjong hands over the thin black folder he had brought with him.

Sunggyu's attention is still on the young intern in front of him even as he takes the folder from the other's hands. Had the kid always been this handsome? Maybe it's because he hasn't seen him in a few days or maybe his infatuation has just gotten a lot stronger, Sunggyu doesn't particularly know or care. He had promised himself he would get an answer out of Sungjong the next time he saw him and now that his chance has come he can't break a promise— even if it's with himself.

"I should probably go back now." Sunggyu likes to think Sungjong sounds a bit reluctant as he says this, like he's looking for a reason to stay and the director is more than happy to give him one.

"Sungjong, wait." The way the young intern is looking at him so expectantly is making Sunggyu want to reconsider, but he has never been one to back down, no matter how nervous he may be feeling. Rising from his seat, he walks around his desk to stand in front of Sungjong, his hands stuffed in his pockets in an attempt to stop them from shaking so much. "I like you."

Sungjong is positively beaming, even as he tries to hide it behind his hand. He can hardly look the older man in the eye as he notes, "You said that already."

"I did," Sunggyu agrees, trying not to laugh at the kid's adorable reaction. "And I'm pretty sure you like me too."

"What makes you say that?" Although he's trying to act as if it isn't true, the slight pink coloring his cheeks is a dead giveaway.

Sunggyu doesn't hold back his laughter this time, chuckling softly as he takes a step toward the cheeky intern. "You called me cute."

"I've called a lot of people cute." Crossing his arms, Sungjong lifts a shoulder in an apathetic shrug, no longer finding it hard to meet the older man's gaze. "I just use that word a lot— I told my mom she was cute this morning."

It seems talking to Sungjong is just as frustrating as not talking to Sungjong, but Sunggyu can't say he really minds. It kind of drives him crazy, but it adds a bit of excitement to his generally dull life. "You know, if you keep denying it you'll just make it more obvious how much you like me."

"How much do you think I like you?"

"Probably not as much as I like you, but that's okay."

"And how much do you like me?"

"More than I thought I would."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Sunggyu thinks he should be a tad bothered by Sungjong's never-ending questions or embarrassed about being so honest about his feelings, but more than anything he feels relieved. Although it seemed scary at first, he isn't worried anymore because he knows they both feel the same way— he just needs Sungjong to admit it. He knows it's a childish request, but he's said it twice already, he can't be the only one. "I'll only tell you if you say you like me too."

"Fine." From the way Sungjong (cutely) scrunches his nose it's obvious he is not very fond of the idea; still it's even more obvious that he wants to know what the director is talking about. Letting out a breath, he drops his arms and finally relents, "Kim Sunggyu, I like you."

A strange feeling erupts in Sunggyu's chest like a firework going off and he feels himself moving forward to hold the younger boy in his arms. He really wasn't planning on it, but finally hearing those words must have triggered something inside him. He can feel Sungjong, who had stiffened when he got closer, start to relax into the hug, his arms slowly wrapping around the older man's waist. Sunggyu can't recall the last time he smiled this much; it was probably when he was still a child. Just when he is truly beginning to enjoy being so close to Sungjong, Hoya chooses that moment to barge in and ruin the mood.

"You have a call from—" The secretary stops short when he notices the compromising position of the two men in the room, his eyes nearly doubling in size. As if they've been electrocuted, the pair jump apart as an uncomfortable air settles in the small space. It takes Hoya a few seconds to come back to his senses and then he makes a hasty retreat with an awkward cough. "I'll just tell him you're busy."

Hoya disappears before Sunggyu can deny or explain anything and he knows he will have to answer at least a hundred questions later; he really needs to see about getting his assistant a love life of his own. He wants to blame the younger man's bad timing, but he knows it's mostly his fault for getting carried away. Giving the young intern a nervous smile, all he can do is apologize and hope he hasn't changed his mind. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, but I really should go back now." Sungjong has become shy once again, unable to look him in the eye.

He looks so adorably embarrassed Sunggyu wants to wrap him up in another hug, but he has already experienced why that would be a very bad idea. Since they are technically supposed to be working he figures it would be best if they continued their conversation at a later time somewhere where they would be less likely to be interrupted. "Are you doing anything later? Maybe we could go get a drink or something?"

"Actually," Sungjong begins, an apologetic smile on his lips as he runs a hand through his hair. "There's a team dinner tonight; I don't think I can skip it."

Sunggyu nods in understanding, but he can't hide his disappointment; no matter how hard he tries work always seems to get in the way. However, he won't let that stop him— he'll just have to try harder. "Maybe I'll stop by."

"You?" The young intern looks confused and with good reason.

Following his cold reputation, Sunggyu prefers not to get involved in anything that would result in him becoming close to his subordinates, such as team dinners and holiday functions. He is sure they must all think of him as a jerk, but he's been avoiding it for so long that it would be weird if he suddenly started showing up to these little get-togethers. But he is willing to endure all of the odd stares and any general awkwardness if it means he can spend even a few minutes with Sungjong. Wow, that was unbelievably cringeworthy— he really needs to stop hanging out with Woohyun.

"Am I not allowed? I do work here too."

"Of course you're allowed, I was just surprised; you don't usually make it a point to show up to these things."

"Well, maybe I want to change things up a little. Besides, a good boss should try and reach out to his employees every once in a while."

Sungjong obviously doesn't believe him, but he only smiles as he heads for the door. "I guess I'll see you later."

Though he is tempted to give the younger boy another hug, Sunggyu restrains himself and sends him off with a wave. He is almost certain this will end up being a bad idea, but Sungjong will be there. Really, that's all the motivation he needs.

 

~*~

Sunggyu winds up being right about two things: Sungjong is there just as he'd hoped and this is definitely a terrible idea. He had convinced himself that it probably wouldn't be that bad, but the moment he stepped into the small restaurant and everyone's attention turned to him he instantly regretted showing up. For all his confidence and bravado, he feels awfully small with so many eyes on him. He wouldn't mind so much if their gazes were filled with fear, but all he sees is confusion and mild curiosity, Sungjong being the only exception. In a sea of blank stares the young intern's smiling face stands out the most and it helps to somewhat ease his worries.

Just when Sunggyu begins to feel unwanted Woohyun, the greatest friend anyone could ask for, swoops in and saves him from any further embarrassment. The younger man may be irritating almost all the time, but he certainly knows how to read the mood. The awkward atmosphere gradually lightens as Woohyun leads the director toward an empty chair— an empty chair that is nowhere near Sungjong. As the head of the department, Sunggyu has the privilege of being seated at the head of the table and while that would normally be an honor, right now it feels more like a death sentence. Why is it so hard for the two of them to spend time together without something (literally and figuratively) getting in the way? He wants to rant a bit more, but the food arrives just then and he kind of gets distracted; it seems he chose the perfect time to show up. He is no longer loathing the rest of the night, instead he finds himself loosening up as he eats and chats with Woohyun. 

No longer wary of their boss' unexpected arrival, the employees relax into a comfortable banter full of laughter and a worrisome amount of alcohol. Sunggyu is admittedly having a good time when he makes the mistake of looking in Sungjong's direction; he just wanted to see how the young intern was doing, but the sight that greets him fills him with a familiar but unpleasant feeling. Sungjong is smiling and laughing (which is good) with that same handsome intern from before (which is not as good) and the two of them are sitting unnecessarily close (which is not good at all). That unpleasant feeling worsens as he watches that good-looking kid reach up and pet Sungjong's hair, his gaze far too affectionate to be called friendly.

The logical part of Sunggyu's brain tells him he's overreacting, that there isn't anything to be worried about. But there is another part of him that doesn't like it one bit; right now that part seems to make the most sense. He swears he isn't jealous, he just wishes he was the one next to Sungjong. Ok, so he might be a little jealous.

"Are you trying to melt his face off or read his mind?" Woohyun's voice snaps Sunggyu out of his green-tinged trance and he turns to find the younger man grinning at him; judging by his loosened tie and slightly mussed hair, it is very likely that he is no longer sober. "I know you're jealous, but please don't kill my interns."

Is it that obvious or does Woohyun just know him very well? Either way, he's still not ready to admit it out loud. "I'm not jealous."

“Yeah right,” Woohyun scoffs, rolling his eyes.

“I’m not,” Sunggyu insists even though neither of really believe it. Without really meaning to his eyes wander back over to the two interns who are still very much preoccupied with each other and he feels his frown deepen at the intimate sight. “Who is that guy anyway?”

Following his friend’s lead, Woohyun shoots an amused glance toward the other end of the table before turning back to the director with a smirk. “Who, Myungsoo? He’s harmless— like a kitten. Don’t worry, he isn’t trying to steal your boyfriend.”

“He’s not my boyfriend.” Sunggyu tries not to raise his voice too much, still fully aware of all the open ears in very close proximity. They may work together, but that doesn’t mean they need to know things about him.

Woohyun, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to care about what he says or who hears him. “Then what were the two of you doing in your office earlier?”

“That was just a hug.”

Sunggyu makes a mental note to fire Hoya first thing Monday morning. His assistant has an annoying habit of talking about him behind his back, but he usually ignores it because it is generally harmless; he is almost positive the younger man is the source of every rumor about him that has made its way through the company. So it comes as no surprise that Woohyun knows about that embarrassing incident— or that it was grossly exaggerated. And now his friend is giving him a highly suggestive look trying to get him to confess to things that truly never happened. Why did he think it was a good idea to come here?

Woohyun is relentless in his teasing and Sunggyu is seriously reconsidering the greatest friend ever title he had given out so carelessly. The questions get a bit repetitive after a while and rather than punching his friend in the face, the director decides a little fresh air will be much more satisfying. With the younger man’s cackling echoing behind him, Sunggyu walks out into the cool night. It doesn’t take long for him to calm down, but he isn’t quite ready to go back in just yet. Scanning the busy street, he spots a bench a short distance away with a familiar figure sitting on it. He’s already walking over before he even has time to think about it and he takes a seat beside the unsuspecting intern.

“What are you doing out here?”

Sunggyu isn’t sure which is cuter, the way Sungjong jumps at the sound of his voice or the smile that breaks out on his face when he realizes it’s him. “I just needed some air. What about you?”

Folding his arms in thought, the director lets his gaze linger on the cars and people passing in front of them. He’s sure it looks completely natural— as it very well should after all the practice he’s done to perfect the pose; he has often been told that he has an attractive side profile and he tries it show it off as much as possible. Getting back to the topic at hand he answers simply, “Anger management.”

Unsure of what to make of Sunggyu’s response, Sungjong stares at him for a moment, but doesn’t press further. “I’m surprised you came.”

“Of course; I said I would.”

“I just thought you would be too busy.”

“Even if I was I would still try to make it.”

Sungjong is positively beaming at his words, his head bowed in an attempt to hide it. Sunggyu sees it anyway and it makes him smile as well. He had been worried when he first showed up that they wouldn’t even get to say hi to each other, but things were working out a lot better than he could have ever hoped.

“You know,” the young intern begins, his hands gripping his knees anxiously. “You never told me what you meant before when you said you like me more than you thought you would.”

Honestly, Sunggyu had forgotten all about that; he isn’t even sure, himself, what he meant. But Sungjong’s eyes are fixed on him, waiting for an answer and he can’t just ignore him. He is just about to make something up when someone appears in front of them, ruining the moment.

“There you are.” That someone turns out to be Myungsoo, looking extremely distressed. “Are you okay? Do you want to leave?”

Sungjong doesn’t seem at all bothered by his friend’s troubled expression as he calmly replies, “I’m fine; I just needed some air.”

“Are you sure?” Myungsoo might be overdoing it a bit, Sunggyu thinks, watching as the kid takes Sungjong’s hands and pulls him to his feet.

The younger boy must not feel the same way since he allows the other intern to help him up; there’s even a smile on his face. “Yes, I’m sure. Let’s go back in.”

Sunggyu is beginning to think he’s become invisible when Sungjong turns back to him, his smile now carrying an apologetic tilt. Knowing it isn’t his fault, the director waves him off; it was only a matter of time before they would have to go back and pretend like they don’t know each other. Myungsoo finally realizes who is sitting in front of him and rushes to greet him, mixing in an apology as well. As irked as he is by the handsome kid showing up once again, Sunggyu decides not to make a big deal about it, smiling stiffly as he sends them back in. He still stands by his original statement: this was a horrible idea.

 

~*~

 

Sunggyu is finally put out of his misery two hours later when the few people who are still conscious decide to call it a night. He is just about ready to bolt for the door, but he has Woohyun clinging to his arm slurring something about "round two"; in hindsight, he probably should've cut him off at some point. To make up for his previous neglectful behavior, Sunggyu takes it upon himself to help his friend get home. That was the plan anyway until he notices Sungjong sitting by himself, his clingy companion nowhere in sight. This is the opportunity he has been waiting all night for and he's sure if Woohyun were in his right mind he would tell him to go for it.

With that little reassurance, Sunggyu peels his friend off his arm and sits him down, promising that he'll be back soon before making a beeline toward the lonesome intern. He barely moves two steps when that handsome kid suddenly pops up out of nowhere and starts helping Sungjong to his feet. Although he hasn't had anything to drink, Sunggyu is feeling a bit bold and he doesn't allow himself to think too much as he marches over to the two interns.

"I can take him home," the director offers, stepping in front of the pair.

Startled by his boss' unexpected presence, it takes Myungsoo a few seconds to find his voice. "It's okay, sir. We live in the same neighborhood so we usually go home together anyway."

"Please," Sunggyu presses, hoping his smile doesn't look as forced as it feels; it's hard to look happy when images of the two interns walking home together looking all couple-y keep flashing in his mind. "You guys had a lot to drink; I want to make sure you're safe."

"Actually, Sungjong drank more than I did, I only had a couple of glasses."

"Well, I didn't drink anything so I can drive him home."

"Thank you, but I don't want to trouble you; it'll be fine if we just walk. The fresh air will help sober us up."

"It's no trouble at all. I don't mind taking him home." Sunggyu is starting to lose his patience; he really wishes Myungsoo would take the hint and leave the two of them alone.

"I guess it would be rude if I keep refusing." Completely misunderstanding the director's words, Myungsoo grabs Sungjong's hand and begins leading him to the door.

"Where are you going?"

The handsome intern looks understandably confused as he looks from Sunggyu to the door and back again. "Aren't you taking us home?"

This isn't going at all how Sunggyu had hoped; is this kid being difficult on purpose or is he just that oblivious? Figuring it would be odd of him to flat-out tell Myungsoo to get lost, Sunggyu decides on a subtler approach. "You know, I think Woohyun is looking for you."

It is a terrible lie, but it's the best he can do right now. Myungsoo fixes him with a piercing stare and he swears the intern is staring straight into his soul. As much as Sunggyu wants to look away, he is sure if he so much as blinks it will be taken as some sort of admission. The grip on his soul finally weakens when Myungsoo turns away with a shrug, going off in search of Woohyun.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Sunggyu turns his attention to Sungjong, who has been oddly quiet this whole time. "Your friend has really creepy eyes."

The young intern gives an airy laugh as he jabs the director playfully on the shoulder. "That's just his face."

Sunggyu still thinks the kid does it on purpose, but he decides against arguing further; although that was a light punch, it was still very painful. Not wanting to waste any more time in case Myungsoo comes back, he takes Sungjong by the arm to lead him to the door only to be shaken off rather abruptly.

"I'm not drunk; you don't have to baby me." Sungjong makes an attempt to glare at his boss, but it comes off as more of an indignant pout that is downright adorable. Sunggyu doesn't say that out loud, however; he's beginning to learn that the young intern is not as fragile as he looks. Satisfied that he has gotten his point across, Sungjong starts walking on his own— only to stumble over his own feet a couple of steps later. He is clearly embarrassed, but his expression remains blank. "That had nothing to do with the alcohol."

Sunggyu can't help but laugh, even at the risk of being hit again; the younger boy is just too cute. He can respect Sungjong's wishes, but he figures he wouldn't mind a little help. Trying to be as casual as possible despite his pounding heart, Sunggyu reaches out to grab ahold of the boy's hand.

"What—" For the first time ever the young intern seems at a loss for words.

Sunggyu isn't sure what to say either, but he makes an attempt. "Just in case."

It is a pretty lame excuse (and definitely something Woohyun would say), yet it somehow manages to put a smile on Sungjong's face. Now that he's in a better mood he allows the director to guide him out of the restaurant, his hand gripping the other's a bit tighter as they step outside. The cool night air on the nearly empty street is a better setting than Sunggyu could have ever asked for. He is just beginning to think things are finally working out when he hears a voice calling from behind them. Knowing exactly who it is he tries to ignore it, but Sungjong suddenly decides to become a statue. Reluctantly letting go of the young intern’s hand, he plasters on a tight smile and turns to find Myungsoo hobbling over carrying a dangerously unsteady Woohyun.

"What are you guys doing here?"

Myungsoo is giving him that soul-searching stare again and Sunggyu feels a tad guilty. Readjusting the arm that's slung over his shoulder, the intern grunts, "He said he was waiting for you."

"Oh, right." This really isn't his night; he isn't asking for much, but it seems luck is not on his side. "I told him I would take him home. Since everyone's here now, we can leave."

Off to the side, Sungjong snickers not-so-secretly behind his hand, thoroughly amused by the director's awful lying. Sunggyu pays no mind as he moves to help carry his semi-conscious friend. They eventually reach the car after various stumbles and get Woohyun into the backseat, with no help at all from Sungjong. The young intern prefers to hang back, looking on as the other two struggle with the limp body in their arms.

This is twice the amount of people Sunggyu expected to leave with at the end of the night, but there isn't much he can do about it now. Fully expecting Myungsoo to get in the passenger seat (because the kid can't be that oblivious), he gets quite a shock when he hops in and finds Sungjong smiling over at him, all buckled up and ready to go. There may be some hope left for the evening after all. He just has to get rid of the extra baggage in the backseat.

Woohyun is the first to go, mainly because there is no telling when he will wake up and subsequently throw up. Although he lives the farthest, Sunggyu makes it to his apartment in record time; he is pretty sure he didn't go over the speed limit... by very much. His eagerness is probably showing as he jumps out of his seat and rushes to get his friend out of the car and into a bed. Sunggyu has never been one for exercising, but after lugging Woohyun up to his apartment, trying to balance the other's unconscious body while he unlocks the door, and dragging him all the way to his bed the director feels like he's just done a full-body workout. Woohyun definitely owes him one.

When he gets back in the car there is an odd silence between the two interns. He has a feeling it may have something to do with him, but as he is still pretty worked up about his brilliant plan he decides not to look into it. Sunggyu is in a fairly good mood when makes the mistake of looking in the rearview mirror. Myungsoo's penetrating gaze meets his and he is certain the intern knows everything. Swallowing nervously, he glances over at Sungjong and almost instantly feels better; just seeing the younger boy's face is enough to calm him. More than anything he wishes he could hold the other's hand again.

As the car slows to a stop at a red light he gets an idea. With practiced nonchalance Sunggyu lays his right arm on the center armrest, just close enough for Sungjong to reach him without being seen. The light turns green and he presses down on the gas a bit too heavily as he feels the young intern's fingers brush against his; he was expecting it, but it still takes him by surprise. Clearing his throat, Sunggyu takes a quick peek at the boy next to him who has a hint of a smirk on his lips and he has to bite his lip to keep from laughing out loud. His mood only gets brighter as he stops to let Myungsoo out; with him gone Sunggyu finally has Sungjong all to himself.

"Goodnight, sir. Thank you for the ride." His timing might be terrible, but his manners certainly aren't. "Talk to you later, Sungjong."

For the first time since he met the handsome intern Sunggyu finds himself genuinely smiling at him as he bids him goodbye. Although it probably has more to do with him being glad Myungsoo is leaving and less to do with him liking the guy. Once the other intern is out of the car (and out of the way), Sunggyu wastes no time gaining a proper hold of Sungjong's hand, their fingers automatically locking together. He feels like an inexperienced teenager for getting excited over something so simple; it must be because it's been so long.

"So," Sunggyu starts as they cruise through the empty streets. "What are we doing now?"

Sighing lightly, Sungjong rests his head against the window. "I'm not sure. I don't think there's anything to do at this time of night."

"You still owe me a drink." It has been nearly two months since that prize date, but Sunggyu still hasn't forgotten (partly because he'd made such a fool of himself).

"I probably shouldn't have any more drinks tonight."

"Why— is your mom waiting for you?"

"Yes, she is," Sungjong retorts; there is something almost defensive about the way his hand clutches the director's despite the laughter in his voice. "And I don't want to disappoint her by being late."

"Can I come too?" Sunggyu jokes, just a tad hopeful.

"Why would you want to meet my mother?"

"Why not? I'm actually really popular with older women. Moms love me."

Sungjong bursts into a fit of laughter that is both shocking and delightful. The pure mirth on the young intern's face is such a gorgeous sight that Sunggyu doesn't even mind when the boy releases his hand in favor of covering his face. The sound is so infectious he can't help but join in, even though he wasn't actually joking. By the time they pull up to his— well, his parents'— place, Sungjong has just about regained his sanity, taking a few deep breaths before attempting to speak.

"Maybe next time."

"Fine." Sunggyu finds it absolutely adorable that Sungjong still lives at home and, more than that, how much he obviously loves his mom. It kind of makes him want to call his own mother. "Can I at least walk you to your door?"

Clearly baffled by the simple request, Sungjong peers out the window toward his front door (which is only a few steps away) before turning back to the director. "It's right there."

"I know, but you had a lot to drink; I don't want you to fall walking up the steps." In all honesty, Sunggyu isn't exactly ready for the night to end. And this is his elaborate way of prolonging that inevitable goodbye.

"I already told you: I'm not drunk," the young intern grumbles, rolling his eyes. It shouldn't be possible for someone to look so cute with his face all scrunched up in irritation, but there he is— doing the impossible. And he only gets cuter as his features relax into a shy smile, his hands clasped nervously in his lap. "But I would like that."

Grinning like a fool, Sunggyu hops out of the car and saunters over to the passenger side; although it's a bit useless at this point, he still wants to show some semblance of a cool image. That plan fails rather quickly when Sungjong suddenly grabs his hand, leaving him gaping in the most unattractive way.

"Just in case," Sungjong explains with a shrug.

Sunggyu finds himself speechless yet again, but smiling nonetheless; he never knew the young intern had such a cheesy side to him. Trying to hide his smile behind his fist, he escorts the younger boy on the extremely short walk to his door. They are almost at the top of the steps when Sungjong surprises him again by sitting down. Now he's just confused. "What are you doing?"

"I need to take a break; my legs are tired."

"You've been sitting down all night. How can you be tired?"

"Just sit." Sungjong tugs on the director's hand until he takes a seat next to him, a satisfied smile spreading across his face.

As much as he likes the kid, Sunggyu doesn't really care for being manhandled. "You know, I am still your boss."

"Not right now; it's the weekend and we aren't at the office. Now you're just Kim Sunggyu."

"Well, you owe Kim Sunggyu a date."

"I'll get right on that."

He should probably be annoyed by the sarcasm, but the young intern chooses that moment to rest his head on the director's shoulder and it suddenly becomes difficult to think about anything else. Unsure of what to do, Sunggyu remains frozen in his spot, hardly daring to breathe.

"You should go inside if you're tired," he suggests a few minutes later when Sungjong remains silent and unmoving beside him.

That garners a bit of a response, although it isn't the one he expects. Pressing himself closer, the young intern wraps his arms around him, mumbling something that sounds vaguely like "just a little longer". Sunggyu is totally confused now, but he doesn't mind complying with the sleepy request; having Sungjong clinging to him isn't something he would ever be against. There is fondness in his eyes and in his smile as he cranes his neck to get a glimpse of the kid's face, all the while trying not to wake him. He looks so calm and content Sunggyu finds himself automatically reaching up to the young intern's hair, the movement feeling strangely natural. This isn't at all how he imagined the night would turn out, but it is still a pretty decent ending.