Chapter Five

You're So Cute (I Want To Wear You Like A Suit)

It's only been like a week, but here's another chapter. I don't think I've ever written so much so fast; I've been writing this part in my head for the longest time, so I guess that's why it came so easily.


 

After his visit with Woohyun, Sunggyu comes to the conclusion that he and Sungjong need to talk. He kind of knew that already, but it didn't hurt to get a second opinion; it isn't always a good idea to trust Woohyun's opinions, though. Nevertheless, Sunggyu is willing to take that chance this time, if only to clear up any possible misunderstandings. He thought he had been pretty obvious about his feelings, but it seems Sungjong still has some doubts— that definitely won't do.

Although he isn't entirely sure what he wants to say, he still goes in to work on Monday determined to make things right. Woohyun had given him some suggestions on how to best express his feelings, all of which were impractical and embarrassing; he decided not to mention that he could embarrass himself just fine without his friend's help (he's done so many times already). However, Sunggyu wouldn't let it happen again.

His confidence begins to wilt by lunchtime when he has yet to see Sungjong; usually he would've gotten a few random glimpses of the young intern zooming around the building by now. If he didn't know any better, he would think the kid up and quit or something (he actually does for a moment). Immediately after he has this thought it occurs to him that he might be over thinking this a little— he should probably work on that. Sunggyu soon learns that many of the interns, including Sungjong, are working out of the office for the day on a crucial part of the company's new project. There isn't really anything he can do about that so he decides to follow the younger boy's lead and focus on his work as well.

It is a decent distraction, though he still thinks about Sungjong from time to time; he hasn't forgotten about the talk they haven't yet had. He gets some hope a couple of days later while he's on the elevator. Hoya is with him, going over his schedule for the day when the doors open and a gaggle of interns tumble into the tiny box. His presence doesn't go unnoticed by the group who rush to greet him with varying levels of poorly-hidden fear and panic. It's good to know his reputation is still intact, but Sunggyu can't say he really cares at the moment. He doesn't bother masking his indifference as he surveys their young, nervous faces until his eyes land on a particular face. Just like that his stoic expression is broken, leaving him gaping at Sungjong; he has no idea why he's acting so surprised— he was bound to see him again at some point.

Hoya is still droning on about his next meeting, but Sunggyu tunes him out completely as he continues staring at the young intern. As dramatic as it sounds he feels like if he so much as blinks, Sungjong might disappear; he just wants some kind of confirmation that this is real. His prayers are answered when the younger boy meets his eyes and smiles. Sunggyu knows he's being dramatic again, but he honestly feels like he's just seen the sun or something equally bright and mesmerizing. He smiles back instantly and it's almost as if it's just the two of them.

That is, until the elevator doors open again, the bell bringing him back to reality. Eager to escape the presence of the infamous Director Kim, the interns waste no time filing out of the cramped carriage, most likely thanking every god in existence that they made it out alive. Sungjong is the last to leave, although he seems to be dragging it out for as long as possible, his feet shuffling uncertainly as he lingers by the entrance. In the end, he doesn't say very much (maybe because he has nothing to say or maybe he is just very aware of where they are), only a simple, "Bye."

"Bye," Sunggyu replies in return, his smile growing even wider. It doesn't happen often, but whenever the younger boy becomes shy around him his heart swells with a strange mixture of pride and affection; he enjoys seeing that he has that kind of effect on the young intern.

Sungjong appears to have gotten some of his confidence back, the corners of his lips curving slightly as he starts backing out of the elevator. "Bye."

"Bye." Sunggyu isn't sure if the younger boy is teasing him or if he's just happy to see him, but doesn't really mind. All that truly matters is his smile.

With one last wave Sungjong is gone, but Sunggyu's smile remains; he has no need to worry now that he knows they are on the same page. He still wants to talk to him, although the subject might be a bit different now. Just as he starts to imagine what he might say, his thoughts are suddenly interrupted by his secretary's snarky voice.

"Can you please stop trying to flirt while I'm around?"

"I wasn't flirting." He had completely forgotten Hoya was still there, but he's too annoyed to be embarrassed. "I was just... being friendly."

Hoya scoffs, not buying it for even a second. "If that's how you are with all your friends, then count me out."

Sunggyu makes a mental note to start looking for a new secretary the minute he gets back to his office.

 

~*~

 

Ultimately, Sunggyu decides not to fire Hoya, if only because he doesn't feel like training anyone new. So he endures the teasing and ignores the jabs, adamantly refusing to let the younger man ruin his good mood. He has more important things to worry about, like how to get Sungjong alone; it is a nearly-impossible task that has been stumping him for the longest time. Considering he would rather die than be caught anywhere near the company cafeteria, Sunggyu figures he will just have to find him at the end of the day.

Sometime later as he is sitting in his office attempting to get some work done to pass the time, there is a knock on the door and he wonders for the briefest of moments if it could be Sungjong. That small sliver of hope is swept away when Myungsoo steps into the room, carrying a black folder at his side. He doesn't look especially pleased to be there, but Sunggyu is starting to think that's just his face. Wasting no time, the intern walks up to his desk and wordlessly hands over the folder.

Sunggyu knows he shouldn't be intimidated, but he still hasn't gotten used to the intensity of the younger boy's gaze. He can only hope it isn't obvious as he takes the folder from him, a slightly uneasy smile on his face. He assumes that is the end of it and Myungsoo and his piercing eyes will finally leave— except Myungsoo doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Clearly baffled, the director probes, "Did you need something?"

"I know about you and Sungjong."

Sunggyu chokes on thin air, his eyes opening wider than usual; he definitely wasn't expecting that. Making an effort to compose himself, he clears his throat and asks as calmly as he can, "What do you mean?"

"Sungjong already told me everything." Myungsoo finally looks away, his gaze dropping to the floor. He's quiet for a few seconds, possibly considering his words, before he continues. "I told him it probably isn't a good idea to get involved with a coworker."

"We're both adults— I think we can handle it." Is he seriously trying to lecture him? Sunggyu is actually kind of amused now.

A slight frown darkening his features, Myungsoo turns back to the director. "I just don't want him to get hurt."

There is something about the intern's expression that makes Sunggyu want to reassure him. "I would never do anything to hurt Sungjong."

The intern appears to be satisfied with that answer, his frown softening a bit. It also appears to be the end of their conversation as the younger boy bows and thanks him before turning to leave. Evidently, he got what he came for, although it still remains to be seen what he will do with that information.

"Myungsoo, wait," the director calls just before the intern can open the door. There is something he has been wanting to ask for quite a while now and he figures this is the best chance he'll get. "Do you like Sungjong?"

Myungsoo stares at him silently for a moment, his face giving nothing away. When he finally responds he answers simply, "He's my best friend."

Squinting at the younger boy, Sunggyu tries to figure out what the hell that could mean; that wasn't even close to answering the question. He decides to decipher it later and lets Myungsoo go, a tired sigh escaping him once he's alone again. Aside from being nosy and just a touch overbearing, Myungsoo isn't so bad. He might have to reconsider his opinion of the handsome intern. He's starting to think Woohyun may have been right— the kid does seem pretty harmless.

 

~*~

 

Somehow, Sunggyu manages to make it to the end of the day without going insane; he wasn't too sure he would be able to say that a few hours ago. While everyone else is pouring out the doors, he stays where he is at his desk, waiting for just the right time; there’s no guarantee that Sungjong hasn’t already gone home, but he still has hope. Not to mention, Hoya had implied just as much right before he left. After what he hopes is an acceptable amount of time, Sunggyu wanders down to the offices in search of the young intern. He finds him almost immediately after he steps out of the elevator, most likely coming from the copy room judging by the stack of papers in his hands.

"There you are— I've been looking all over for you." It isn't necessarily the truth, but he has been thinking about the younger boy all day.

Smiling brightly, Sungjong chuckles, tilting his head to the side. "Well, you found me."

Sunggyu didn't think it was possible, but the kid actually got cuter since he saw him earlier; he's so enamored he nearly forgets why he's there. Despite the distraction he is still able to get his point across. "Are you almost done? I thought maybe we could get something to eat and talk?"

"I'd like that— just give me a few minutes to finish this up and I'm all yours."

Sunggyu already thought the younger boy was being unfair with his cuteness, but then he has the audacity to wink at him and now it's official— he's fallen for the young intern. He can't think of much else as he follows Sungjong back to his desk, his recent revelation leaving him speechless. He wouldn't know what to say even if he could speak, so it's just as well.

"This will only take a minute," Sungjong promises, grabbing a seat and getting straight to work.

"There's no rush." As cheesy as it sounds, every second they spend together is time well-spent no matter what they're doing. Sitting at the desk next to the younger boy, the director scans the room, noting all of the empty chairs. "Is anyone else here?"

Sungjong spares him a brief glance before turning back to his task. "No, it's just me. I probably should've left with everyone else, but I really wanted to get this done."

Even though he admires and appreciates the intern's hard work, Sunggyu can't help teasing, "You should take it easy; I don't want your mom complaining that I'm overworking you."

"Actually, the only thing she's complaining about is why I haven't invited you over again. Do you think you'll be stopping by again any time soon?"

"I still have to return her dishes, but I feel like I won't be able to leave if I go back."

"That sounds about right," Sungjong laughs, the sound muffled slightly behind his hand. When he moves his hand away there's a smirk pulling at the corner of his mouth, a sure sign of impending mischief. "Would you do it for me, then?"

Sunggyu couldn't say no even if he wanted to— not that he ever would— but he probably shouldn't have said yes so quickly. His eagerness is rewarded with a laugh from the young intern, his smile playful yet shy. The director is beyond relieved when Sungjong turns back to his work and he tries as subtly as possible to fan his burning cheeks. So much for not embarrassing himself...

"So," he begins, a couple of minutes later when he feels like he's gotten a decent hold of himself. "I talked to Myungsoo earlier."

"How did that go?" Sungjong asks, sounding amused and just the tiniest bit annoyed at being disrupted.

That was not at all the reaction Sunggyu expected. "You don't sound very surprised. Did you know about it?"

Giving up on getting any more work done, the young intern puts down his papers and turns to face his boss. "He told me he had been thinking about talking to you, but I didn't think he'd actually do it."

"Well, he said it's a bad idea for coworkers to get involved with each other and he thinks I'm going to hurt you." Those weren't the other intern's exact words, but Sunggyu could tell that's what he meant. Sliding himself closer, he voices his concerns, hoping the younger boy can understand. "He made it sound like I shouldn’t be with you."

"He's a good friend, he just worries a lot; he's been like that since we first started working here."

"I think it's about more than friendship. Does he have a crush on you or something?"

"He's my best friend."

He says it like it's just that simple (and maybe it is), but Sunggyu doesn't agree. He isn't half as worried about his friends as Myungsoo seems to be about Sungjong— and he's known them much longer than the two interns have known each other. Still, that isn't even the worst part. The worst part is that he has yet to get an answer to his question and he doesn't bother hiding his frustration, exclaiming, "That's exactly what he said."

Sungjong apparently finds his turmoil entertaining, soft chuckles accompanying his usual bright smile. "You're cute when you're jealous."

Sunggyu would love to deny the second part of that statement or at least fire back a witty reply, but it seems he's lost his words once again. There's no rush to get them back, though, if he's seeing what he thinks he's seeing in the younger boy's eyes. The young intern appears to be contemplating something— something that involves the director's lips. Sunggyu is fully aware of what is going through Sungjong's mind, mostly because it's in his mind as well; the only question now is if they're going to do anything about it.

Without even realizing it, Sunggyu finds himself much closer to Sungjong than he was moments ago, the space between them shrinking more and more with each passing second. Then they pause, their gazes locked, and everything seems to freeze as well. It's pretty obvious where this is going, but the director isn't sure if he should make the first move. Sungjong makes the decision for him as he starts inching his face closer until they're barely a breath away. Just as he surges forward through that last inch of space, Sunggyu's brain mixes up the signals and he feels himself moving in the opposite direction. He tries to correct it, but it's much too late, Sungjong is already leaning back.

"I'm sorry. I thought—" A flurry of emotions pass over the young intern's face, the most prominent being hurt. "I should go."

Before Sunggyu can even think of moving, the younger boy is already up and out of his seat and then he's gone. Everything's ruined now, there's no way he can fix it. Amidst the silence of the empty office he hears the ding of the elevator, the sound like an alarm waking him from his daze. And then he's off, racing across the room to the hallway toward the elevator. His body seems to be doing a lot of things without his consent recently, but he doesn't mind this time.

The doors are already starting to close by the time he gets there and he rushes forward, his arm reaching out to stop them from shutting completely. Pausing at the entrance, Sunggyu takes a moment to catch his breath; these kinds of things seem so much cooler (and less tiresome) in the movies. He's not really sure where to begin, perhaps with an apology, but he has to say something.

"Sungjong."

The young intern shows no reaction as he continues staring at the floor, adamantly ignoring the older man's presence. Sunggyu feels absolutely horrible now.

"I-I'm sorry," he tries again, stepping further into the elevator. He can only imagine how the younger boy must be feeling and he'll do anything he can to change that. He takes a few more steps when Sungjong still refuses to look at him, his nerves becoming increasingly unsettled. He dares to lift the younger boy's chin once he gets close enough, a bit of confidence returning when Sungjong finally looks at him. Sunggyu allows himself to be bold long enough to ask, "Can I still kiss you?"

The young intern regards him silently for a few seconds before nodding once and that is all the director needs. His hand still resting below the boy's chin, he leans forward and presses his lips to the other's. Sungjong kisses him back almost immediately, a soft sigh escaping as his arms wrap around his boss' waist. Sunggyu pulls back long enough to take a quick breath before his hands reach up to hold the intern's cheeks and he's diving in for more; it's more like diving up since Sungjong is obviously taller than him, but he is in no position to complain at the moment. He feels like he could stay like this forever— and he gladly would— until the elevator doors ding open and he remembers exactly where they are.

They part, panting slightly but smiling, Sungjong's arms still around the director's waist; fortunately for them, the elevator is still on the same floor which is also still empty. As eager as he is to continue where they left off, Sunggyu knows it would be best if they went somewhere else first. But then again perhaps it would be even better if they stopped all together— for now, at least. "Should I take you home?"

"What if I don't want to go home?"

Sunggyu never knew pouting could be so attractive, it almost makes him reconsider. Biting his lip, he runs his hands over the younger boy's shoulders, willing himself not to give in. "It's late; your mom is probably waiting."

"Why did you have to bring her up now?" Sungjong really needs to stop pouting, it only makes Sunggyu want to kiss him more. "You're ruining the mood."

Chuckling despite his frustration, the director relents, "Fine, I won't talk about anyone's mother."

"How about we just stop talking."

Sunggyu definitely won't argue with that.