Chapter Four

You're So Cute (I Want To Wear You Like A Suit)

Look who's back~ I really didn't mean to take so long on this chapter, but I really didn't know what I was doing for a while. I've figured some things out, so hopefully it will all move more smoothly now. Anyway, enjoy ^_^

 


 

The next morning, Sungjong wakes up to the smell of his mother's cooking, a fairly normal occurrence that never fails to bring a smile to his face. The smile doesn't last for long, however, as he soon realizes he is in his own bed, but he has no memory of how he got there. The last thing he remembers is sitting outside with Sunggyu, everything else after that is kind of blurry. He should probably be worried, but it's not like he woke up in a ditch somewhere. Everything is fine, he tells himself as he sits up to stretch his tired limbs. Even if something had happened, he could wait to figure it out later— he has food waiting for him.

With that thought in mind, Sungjong hops out of bed and throws on a pair of shorts and a hooded sweatshirt. He is just about to leave when a ping sounds from his phone, signaling a new message. He has an idea of who it might be and he's proven right when he unlocks the screen and finds a text from Sunggyu.

'Are you up?'

Grinning at the device in his hand, Sungjong quickly types up a reply as he starts heading to the kitchen.

'I am now.'

His eyes are still on his phone as he continues walking, his body moving in the right direction through scent rather than sight. It isn't long before Sunggyu sends his own reply, although it doesn't seem to make much sense.

'You never told me your mom was such a good cook. You should hurry or there won't be anything left.'

Sungjong can't even begin to guess what that could mean; if he didn't know any better he would think the older man was drunk. He is just beginning to type up a reply when he steps into the kitchen and his eyes land on Director Kim sitting at the table, an array of food in front of him. Taking in the director's rumpled shirt and unkempt hair, Sungjong adds yet another question to his ever-growing list. This is quite possibly the most confusing morning he's ever had. He has half a mind to wonder if this is a dream; it wouldn't be the first time his boss has appeared in his subconscious.

Sunggyu spares him a brief glance before he is back to scooping spoonfuls of rice into his mouth and chasing it down with soup. It isn't the most attractive of sights and Sungjong should probably be mildly grossed out— actually, he sort of is— but he still finds himself smiling; it's really unfair how much he's come to like the older man. Trying not to think too much about it, he turns his attention to his mother. He strolls over to stand beside her by the stove and envelopes her in tight hug. "Good morning, Mom. If I had known you were going to make so much food, I would've gotten up earlier to help you."

"It was no trouble at all," the older woman says, smiling up at her son. She picks up yet another plate of food and takes it to the table as she continues, "Anyway, I had to find some way to thank Director Kim for bringing you home last night. And for taking such good care of you at work. So go eat; this is for you too."

Sungjong doesn't hesitate to follow her orders; he would never miss a chance to eat his mother's home-cooked food. Sitting across from his boss, who is unsurprisingly still eating, the intern eagerly digs into his meal. He still very much confused about why the director is here in their kitchen eating their food, but he can't say he really cares at the moment.

For a few minutes only the sounds of clinking silverware and enthusiastic chewing can be heard in the tiny kitchen as the two men devour the enormous meal. Although almost all of his attention is centered on the food in front of him, Sungjong doesn't miss the fondness in his mother's gaze as she watches Sunggyu tear into a piece of fish. He doesn't know if he should be amused or embarrassed by her sudden infatuation with his boss. He can't really blame her, but if she keeps this up he doesn't think he'll be able to look the director in the eye anymore.

Obviously unaware of her son's impending embarrassment, Mrs. Lee takes a seat next to Sunggyu, her smile brighter than the still-rising sun outside. "So, Director Kim, how is Sungjong doing at work? He always looks so happy when he comes home. I'm sure he's doing well, right?"

"Of course; he's very important to me." There is a split-second before Sunggyu realizes what he's said and he rushes to cover it up, his eyes wide in panic. "I mean, to us— t-to the company. He's a very hard worker."

Sunggyu looks so incredibly uncomfortable Sungjong almost feels bad for laughing. He tries his hardest to stifle his chuckles, but a few still escape his lips. He figures he should say something before the older man dies from the awkwardness; he looks just about ready to drown himself in his soup bowl. "Mom, you're making him nervous. Just let him eat."

Thankfully, his mother takes the hint. With one last gentle pat on the director's cheek she is up and out of the room, leaving the two men to finish their meals. Sungjong had hoped his mom leaving would help Sunggyu relax, but he still seems too mortified to look anywhere that isn't the table. He isn't even eating and that is quite possibly the most troubling thing; the director had once boasted that the two things he was best at were sleeping and eating.

"Well," Sungjong starts, trying to lighten the mood. "It looks like my mom really likes you."

His words seem to work as Sunggyu finally looks up, the smallest of smiles on his lips. There is still a hint of pink on his cheeks, but he sounds as confident as ever. "Of course she does. I told you moms love me."

"Don't get any crazy ideas; she's a happily married woman."

"She's cute, but I'm actually more interested in her son."

Cursing his feelings for the older man yet again, Sungjong tries to look as impassive as possible. He shouldn't be so happy hearing something so cheesy— especially not this early in the morning. He tries his hardest to not let anything show, but Sunggyu sees anyway, a big grin stretching its way onto his face. A change of subject would be very helpful, Sungjong thinks.

"What are you doing here, anyway— besides seducing my mom."

"W-what— I'm not—" Sunggyu is now the one at a loss for words and everything feels right in the world again. He looks completely stunned, his face frozen in disbelief.

"I'm just kidding." Sungjong doesn't think he'll ever get tired of teasing his boss. "But if you came here to check up on me or something, you really didn't have to. I can handle my alcohol."

The director appears to have gotten ahold of himself, a smile once again gracing his features. "That's good to know, but I've actually been here since last night. After you fell asleep I brought you inside and your mom invited me to stay since it was so late."

That definitely sounds like something his mother would do, although it was probably more of a demand than an invitation. She is tenacious, to say the least and Sungjong supposes the same could be said for him as well.

All of his questions have been answered, but he's still not satisfied. "I liked it better when I thought you came here to see me."

"Maybe that was the reason why I stayed." Sunggyu looks rather sincere, so much so that Sungjong feels inclined to believe him. That is until he opens his mouth again. "I mean— besides the fact that your mother was blocking the door."

"So much for liking me more than I like you," the young intern grumbles just loud enough for the other man to hear. He knows he is being childish, but he was sort of under the impression that the director had serious feelings for him. He just kind of thought that meant something.

Sunggyu apparently has something to say about it, however, he doesn't get the chance as Mrs. Lee comes back into the kitchen just then. His words dying on his lips, he gives her a small smile before going back to his meal. Sungjong doesn't miss the many looks thrown his way and he knows their conversation is far from over.

Breakfast ends shortly after, the atmosphere a tad more awkward than when it started. Sungjong isn't in a bad mood, but the director seems to think he is and he isn't sure how to bring it up. It also doesn't help that his mother is still quite present, happily humming as she packs some extra food for Sunggyu to take with him. She is the only genuine smiling face between the three of them when the time comes for the older man to leave.

"Thank you for the food, Mrs. Lee; it was delicious." Sunggyu says, giving the older woman a hug.

"Don't even mention it." She returns the embrace with uncontainable enthusiasm, her smile never dimming. "Come back again soon so I can cook some more for you."

Nodding in reply, the director's smile stiffens as he turns his attention to the younger man standing silently a few steps behind his mother. Sungjong's no body language expert, but he is pretty sure his boss is trying to tell him something with his eyes. He has no clue what it could possibly be and he tries to relay that message through his own gaze; he's never been one for nonverbal communication so he can't be sure he got his point across. Judging by the confusion settling over Sunggyu's features, Sungjong guesses it didn't work. Since there isn't much he can say while his mom is still around, he decides to keep it simple. "See you at work on Monday, sir."

Clearing his throat, Sunggyu nods and turns back to Mrs. Lee once more. "Thank you again. I'll enjoy the food."

With all of the goodbyes out of the way the director finally leaves, his jacket and bag of food in hand. Sungjong breathes a sigh of relief once the door closes, running a hand through his hair; this was a rather eventful morning. He doesn't know what to expect when he goes in to the office on Monday. But he has bigger things to worry about right now, mainly his mother’s obsession with his boss. She looks so happy he just knows he won’t hear the end of it.

 

~*~

 

"Oh good, you're not dead."

Without waiting for an invitation, Sunggyu steps into Woohyun's apartment, pausing briefly to take off his shoes. He had decided to stop by mostly to check up on his friend, but also because he didn't want to be alone with his thoughts at the moment. And obviously that was the right decision judging by the younger man's delighted reply.

"I could've been, for all you know. You're the worst best friend ever." Woohyun sulks by the door, his bottom lip jutting out petulantly.

"What do you mean? I called Dongwoo for you." Paying no mind to the other's dramatic reaction, Sunggyu walks farther into the apartment; he really doesn't see what his friend is getting so worked up about. He spots Dongwoo on the couch, looking rather comfortable, and gives him a wave. "Hey, Dongwoo."

Woohyun seems to be done sulking as he shuffles away from the door, though he still looks unhappy. Standing beside his friend, he crosses his arms, insisting, "That's not the point." His eyes roam over the older man's form and his tone turns curious. "Weren't you wearing those clothes last night?"

Sunggyu curses internally at the sudden observation; he honestly didn't expect Woohyun to notice. He had thought (more like hoped) the other man would be too hungover to be paying such close attention. With no excuse, Sunggyu is left staring speechlessly as his friend begins connecting dots and drawing conclusions— most likely the wrong ones. He finally manages to sputter something out when Woohyun starts smirking suggestively, his eyes sparkling with all kinds of inappropriate thoughts.

"I-it's not what you think— nothing happened."

"You don't have to lie, I won't judge."

"I'm not lying."

Sunggyu really doesn't know why he is still friends with Woohyun. It's becoming hard to keep his cool when his face feels like it is practically on fire; he just hopes the younger man can look past that and see that he is telling the truth. But then again, this is Woohyun after all. Even if he does believe him, he never misses an opportunity to . Perhaps if he distracts him he can save himself from any further embarrassment. Holding up the bag of food he brought with him, Sunggyu offers, "I have food."

That appears to do the trick as the younger man instantly grabs for the bag, his eyes now alight with hunger. Sunggyu didn't mean to give away Mrs. Lee's food, but it helped get his friend off his back and that is definitely worth the slight twist of guilt he feels as he hands it over. No one can resist the call of free food and even Dongwoo finds himself being pulled in, trailing after his boyfriend into the kitchen. Sunggyu can only sigh as he follows behind them; he really should've just called.

"Who made all of this?" Dongwoo asks, peering into a small container.

Sunggyu wouldn't mind lying, but he can't very well say that he made it. He is known for a lot of things, but cooking is not one of them. Sighing once more, he spills the truth. "Sungjong's mom made it."

"You slept with him and his mom made you breakfast?" Woohyun seems to have forgotten how to use his inside voice. His eyes are practically popping out of his head, but he still manages to stuff a slice of kimbap in his mouth. "I totally underestimated you."

Groaning in irritation, Sunggyu sinks into a chair, his will to live slowly leaving him with every passing second. He has no idea where Woohyun got the idea that something happened between him and Sungjong— especially since he explicitly stated the opposite. There's no point in trying to explain himself, but he does it anyway; Dongwoo might believe him, at least. "I didn't sleep with Sungjong, I just slept in his house. On his couch, actually— we weren't even in the same room."

"If you say so." Unsurprisingly, the younger man is not convinced, the smirk on his face as smug as ever. "But don't you think you missed a really good opportunity?"

"His parents were home." Sunggyu knows exactly what his friend is implying and he is both disgusted and annoyed.

With no shame whatsoever, Woohyun shrugs and says, "I wouldn't have let that stop me."

Dongwoo bursts out laughing, the food he was chewing nearly flying everywhere; it is an infectious sound that has his boyfriend cracking up as well. Sunggyu, however, is immune. He didn't think it was the slightest but funny— all he's thinking about is how much of an idiot his best friend is. And, if he's being honest, Dongwoo's a bit of an idiot too for laughing at him. No wonder they're together. Observing the giggly pair across the table, Sunggyu shakes his head, muttering, "You two are perfect for each other."

"Are you jealous?" Grinning playfully, Woohyun takes his boyfriend's hand in his and makes a show of linking their fingers together. Dongwoo looks on in amusement with just the tiniest hint of pink dusting his cheeks.

They are a cute couple, Sunggyu can admit it, but Woohyun is way too cocky. Rolling his eyes, he slaps his friend's hands away from the container of kimbap before taking one for himself. "Why would I ever be jealous of you?"

"Oh right— I forgot. You're only jealous of Myungsoo."

Sunggyu pauses in the middle of chewing, a frown settling on his face. Woohyun seriously needs to learn how to shut up. "That's it; you're not allowed to talk anymore."

 Sunggyu finds himself wondering yet again why he came here; he must enjoy suffering. Or maybe he's an idiot too.