Chapter Ten

You're So Cute (I Want To Wear You Like A Suit)

It's almost the end, I can't believe it. I've mostly figured out what I'm doing, so hopefully it won't take too long to finish this. Anyway, enjoy ^_^

 


 

Although Sungjong had accepted Sunggyu's apology and they had literally kissed and made up, he couldn't quite let the incident go. So, he reasoned they should go out on a date every day for a week to make up for all the time they lost; just as expected the director needed no convincing before he eagerly agreed. They started with a simple dinner date the first day, wanting to catch up and just spend some time together. The next day, Sungjong decided to try something a bit different and dragged Sunggyu with him to a karaoke bar.

The older man complained the entire way up until he had the mic in his hand and the music started playing— he seemed to become a different person after that. Sungjong's fond exasperation at the director's whining quickly melted into profound awe at how good the other man sounded. He never knew his boss had this side to him, but he was glad he got to see it. Although the younger boy felt a little intimidated at having to follow such an impressive performance, his competitive side soon kicked in once he saw his boyfriend's near-perfect score and he stood up for his turn with a desire to win that left no room for nerves. He didn't do quite as well as Sunggyu, but Sungjong was enjoying himself far too much by then to even care. The rest of the night continued in the same way, filled with lots of music and laughter (not to mention a fair amount of alcohol), leaving Sungjong curious about the other sides of the director he had yet to discover. Luckily, he didn't have to wait very long to find out.

Although it was much calmer than the last, their next date was still just as eventful. They ended up going to see a movie thanks to Sunggyu's insistence that they do something far less likely to give him a splitting headache in the morning; the younger boy didn't really mind as long as they were together. He kept that sappy thought to himself, though, it was embarrassing enough that it had even passed through his mind at all.

The couple easily decided on an action/thriller that recently came out and, after a quick stop at the concession stand, they went to find their seats. Sungjong thought things were going pretty well— the movie was good so far and he was enjoying Sunggyu's company— until a certain scene came up. The two main characters had found themselves in close quarters and the that had been growing from the moment they met seemed to reach its boiling point, leading to an incredibly steamy kiss. Before Sungjong knew it, their clothes were off and he nearly choked at the graphic scene unfolding in front of his eyes.

Beside him, the director was in a similar state of shock, a handful of popcorn frozen halfway to his mouth. There was a hint of a blush on his cheeks as he glanced at the younger boy before quickly looking away and clearing his throat. Sungjong would've laughed or made a teasing remark, but he felt just as embarrassed; there was something extremely awkward about watching a scene next to the man he has only been dating for a week or two. Although he tried to focus on the rest of the movie, the thought kept resurfacing and he started wondering if Sunggyu was thinking about it as well. With how stiffly the older man seemed to be sitting in his seat, it was safe to say he was. The awkwardness refused to dissipate even after the movie was done and the two men came to the mutual conclusion to call it a night.

Sungjong has no problem putting it all behind him and starting the next day anew; he isn't so sure about his boyfriend, though. Aside from a text saying he wouldn't be able to take him to work, he hasn't seen or heard from the older man all morning. He knows the director has a tendency to make things more complicated than they need to be, but he's pretty sure that isn't the case now so he doesn't let it distract him from his job.

It's mid-morning and Sungjong is hard at work. He had been unlucky enough to be assigned the task of making copies, but the machine was, of course, out of paper and no one had bothered to refill it. Which led him on a quick trip to the supply room where he picked up a box of copy paper before heading back. While he should probably be annoyed, he finds he doesn't really mind since it gets him away from all the between Myungsoo and Sungyeol.

As he's walking back into the copy room, someone else walks out and Sungjong nearly drops the box trying not to run into them. Tightening his grip, he immediately bows his head in apology. "I'm sorry, I didn't see you."

"Don't worry about it; I'm okay."

The younger boy looks up from where he'd been staring at the ground, his eyes widening at the sight of the man in front of him. "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you," Director Kim airily replies, his smile somehow both cute and charming at the same time. Chuckling at his boyfriend's stunned expression, he takes the box from his hands and walks back into the room.

Sungjong doesn't know what else to do but follow his boss; he has no idea why he is so surprised, they run into each other pretty often every day. Perhaps he'll figure it out if he keeps asking questions. "How did you know I was down here?"

Sunggyu places the box of paper on a nearby table and turns to him with an incredibly smug-looking smile, his arms folded across his chest. "I know everything."

"Team Leader Nam told you, didn't he?" It's Sungjong's turn to look smug, whatever spell he'd been under suddenly lifting to reveal a knowing smirk; the director must have thought he sounded cool, but the younger boy thinks awkward and cheesy would be more fitting.

"That's not important right now." The older man dismisses the question with a simple wave of his hand as if they both don't already know the answer. He's clearly embarrassed, but he still manages to keep his composure as he tries to steer the conversation in a more favorable direction. "Anyway, I just wanted to talk to you about this morning. I hope you don't think I was trying to avoid you or anything; I just had a lot of things to do and I didn't want you to be waiting around for me. It had nothing to do with last night, I promise."

It's sweet how concerned he is, even if it's completely unnecessary. His smile softening at the thought, Sungjong saunters over to the table and pulls out a stack of paper from the box; although he's happy to see his boyfriend, he still has a job to do. As he's heading to the printer he shoots over his shoulder, "It's fine, you don't have to explain anything. I know you're a busy guy; I don't expect you to blow off your job for me."

"Are you sure?" Sunggyu is still standing by the table, his expression uncertain.

"Mm-hmm," the younger boy hums, placing some paper in the tray before turning to the director. "But you're still going to have to make it up to me on our date later."

The older man's expression suddenly becomes even more troubled, his frown getting deeper and deeper as he steps closer. "That's actually another thing I wanted to talk to you about. I'm pretty much going to be stuck in meetings for the rest of the day, so I don't think I can make it."

"Oh." Sungjong can't say he isn't disappointed; he was really looking forward to their date. Feeling a bit childish, he turns back to the printer, busying himself with checking the ink and trying not to pout too much. He's in the middle of formulating a mature response when he feels a pair of arms wrap around his waist and a firm chest press against his back, making him stiffen for a moment before relaxing into the embrace.

"I'm sorry." Sunggyu rests his chin on the younger boy's shoulder, pulling him the slightest bit closer.

His heart racing more than would like to admit, Sungjong bites back the smile threatening to split his face in two; it's ridiculous how easily the other man can cheer him up. He places a hand over his boyfriend's as he reassures him, "Don't be— it's not your fault."

"I still feel like a jerk, though."

"You're not a jerk," Sungjong replies, spinning around to face his boss. The director looks as sulky as he sounds and the young employee almost laughs at the unintentional cuteness. Attempting to lighten the mood, he winds his arms around his boyfriend's neck and jokes, "Besides, you have to work so you can make money to take me out. I'm not a cheap date, you know?"

His efforts prove successful when Sunggyu lets out a small laugh, a bright smile replacing the frown on his face. "I'll keep that in mind." A lightbulb seems to go off in his head just then and his smile widens even more. "Hey, why don't I make it up to you tomorrow? It's the weekend so we can spend the whole day doing whatever you want. How does that sound?"

"That sounds perfect." Sungjong can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday. Wanting to show the older man how much he likes the idea, he leans in to give him a simple peck on the lips, but stops short when a thought suddenly occurs to him. "Oh wait! I completely forgot about the company retreat. We're leaving tomorrow morning and we'll be gone all weekend."

The director is pouting even more than before, at first from being denied a kiss and then from the unexpected change of plans. Things like pride and dignity don't appear to be important to him anymore as he shamelessly whines, "Do you have to go?"

"Well, no, but I was really looking forward to it. It's my first company trip as a full-time employee. Aren't you going too?"

"I wasn't planning on it."

"It won't be much fun if you're not there."

Sungjong can tell Sunggyu is ready to change his mind; he's said all the right words, now he needs to seal the deal. And he does so with the chaste kiss he meant to give him earlier and a cute "please". The older man practically melts in his hands, a wordless nod being his only reply and the younger boy gives him another kiss for his troubles, this one a bit longer and deeper. They're so caught up in the moment they don't even notice someone else entering the room until the person clears their throat loudly and the pair break apart rather abruptly.

Sungjong heaves a huge sigh of relief (literally and figuratively) when he sees Myungsoo standing in the doorway looking surprisingly unsurprised. If anything, he looks incredibly bored— as if he's already walked in on a number of coworkers making out. Whatever the case may be, Sungjong decides the best course of action is to play it cool; there'll be time enough to feel embarrassed later. He likes to think he is the epitome of laid back with his arm propped up on the copy machine behind him and an easy smile on his face.

"Hey, Myungsoo. What's up?"

His friend's only response is a raised eyebrow that leaves the younger boy a bit unnerved. Sunggyu looks just as anxious beside him, his eyes darting between Myungsoo and the door before settling back on Sungjong; he's the oldest one in the room, but right now he seems more like a lost little kid. Unlike his boyfriend, the director has no desire to act like nothing happened and, instead, chooses to take himself as far away from the situation as he possibly can.

"Uh, I should go," the older man says, already inching toward the exit. "I'll talk to you later, Sungjong."

Sunggyu is already out the door before he even finishes his sentence and Sungjong can't blame him for wanting to get the hell out of there. He wants to leave too, but he foolishly chose fight over flight. The younger boy also can't blame the director for avoiding all eye contact with Myungsoo as he's leaving— his friend's stare is way too intense. Although he should be used to it by now, Sungjong still feels quite flustered under the other boy's piercing gaze. But that might have more to do with being caught kissing his boss.

"Is this what we're doing now?"

Myungsoo finally speaks after what feels like forever, his teasing tone matching the light smile on his face. Sungjong knows exactly what he's referring to, but he still sticks to his nonchalant act, shrugging as he says, "We were just talking."

"Well, it sure didn't look like it to me." The sarcasm is strong in the older boy's voice as he steps closer, his arms crossed over his chest. "Because from where I was standing it looked a lot like you were making out with Director Kim. You know, your secret boyfriend who you probably shouldn't be making out with at work?"

Sungjong is fully aware that Myungsoo has never been much of a fan of his relationship with the director, although he does attempt to be supportive, but he really thinks his friend is being a tad excessive. Even if he does have a point. Their relationship won't stay a secret for very long if they keep acting so recklessly. Although he doesn't want to argue, Sungjong still feels the need to defend himself, a frustrated sigh escaping his lips as he turns back to the machine behind him. "It's not like we did it on purpose. We were talking and it just kind of happened. You know what that's like, right?"

Now at his side, Myungsoo blushes almost instantly at what the younger boy is implying and he hesitates for a moment too long before declaring, rather unconvincingly, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Come on, don't you remember last week when—"

"Ok, ok, yes, I remember. You don't have to say anything," Myungsoo nearly pleads, his hand firmly clasped over Sungjong's mouth. He seems more freaked out about his friend potentially revealing his secrets than what he walked in on a few minutes ago. "I won't nag you anymore; just be more careful next time."

Prying the older boy's hand away from his mouth, Sungjong chuckles and notes, "You should really practice what you preach."

 

~*~

 

There's nothing Sunggyu hates more than waking up early. He endures it during the week (because he has to if he wants to get paid), but on the weekend there isn't much that can get him out of bed before ten a.m. And yet, here he is: awake and upright— at work no less— and he has only himself to blame. He had originally planned on opting out of the company retreat, his presence isn't necessarily needed and probably also isn't wanted. But then Sungjong was asking him (and kissing him) and he found it hard (more like, impossible) to say no.

Hovering near the small crowd of employees standing outside the building, Sunggyu mentally kicks himself once again for being so weak around Sungjong. The kid is a dangerous mix of adorable and clever that he can never resist— not that he even knows how. With the younger boy in mind, the director finds his gaze wandering through the crowd until he lands on the kid and he is only the tiniest bit surprised by how good he looks this early in the morning. Everything about him screams ridiculous and cute and ridiculously cute from his navy shorts and yellow plaid shirt to the bright smile on his face. And then he laughs and Sunggyu's heart stutters, affection blossoming in his chest and tugging at the corners of his lips.

"You know, if you're trying to look like a creep, it's working."

And just like that whatever good mood Sunggyu was in is chased away, his signature scowl returning in full force. He has no idea why Hoya decided to come along, but he's starting to think it's for the sole purpose of making fun of him; judging by the cocky smirk he gets from the younger man, that seems to be true. It is still way too early and the director is still way too tired to make any threats, so he settles for what he hopes is an intimidating glare.

It isn't. Hoya merely laughs in his face, completely disregarding the fact that the man in front of him is his boss. As insolent as ever, he seems unable to restrain himself from making another brash comment. "I know he's your boyfriend and everything, but all that staring was making me really uncomfortable."

"I wasn't staring," Sunggyu argues, finally finding the energy to speak. It's a bit pointless since the younger man probably doesn't care, but he still wants to defend himself. "I was just admiring how good he looks."

Crossing his arms, the secretary sneaks a glance toward Sungjong before replying, "I don't blame you. But why don't you try acting like a normal human being and go over there and talk to him."

"We both know I can't do that." The director chooses to ignore the fact that his assistant just checked out his boyfriend, although he definitely plans to revisit the topic later. Instead, he focuses on the improbability and impossibility of him actually going to talk to Sungjong. Hoya thinks it's weird for him to look at the younger boy from across a crowd of people, but Sunggyu thinks it would be weirder if they acted like they knew each other when they've been doing the exact opposite for so long. But more than anything, he isn't ready for the rumors that are sure to spread if he follows Hoya's advice.

Hoya isn't as sympathetic to his plight as he would like him to be, his commentary remaining blunt and truthful. "And we both know you really want to."

That is not at all what Sunggyu wants to hear (because it's true) and he lets out a frustrated groan; he really hates how well the younger man knows him. "Why are you even here?"

His assistant simply shrugs, looking quite pleased with himself, which only further frustrates the older man. The trip hasn't even started yet, but he already wants it to be over. Since glaring at Hoya doesn't work, Sunggyu decides to just glare into empty space so the other man knows he's done talking to him. He finds himself groaning once again when he notices Woohyun approaching.

His friend has always been more of a morning person (much to his dismay) and today is no exception, his smile almost dangerously cheerful as he practically skips toward the director. Once he reaches him, he takes in the scowl on the older man's face and turns to Hoya, eyebrow raised in curiosity. "What's up with him?"

"He's scared to go talk to his boyfriend," the secretary helpfully responds, not at all impressed with his boss.

Even though his friends are talking about him as if he isn't there, Sunggyu refuses to be a part of the conversation; they'll probably just ignore anything he says anyway. But it's not like he can really argue because he is scared— or, at least, somewhat concerned. Talking to Sungjong isn't the problem, it's everyone else's reactions.

Woohyun doesn't seem to understand, however, his face screwed up with a frown as he scoffs. "You're being an idiot. Do you want me to call him over for you?" He doesn't even bother waiting for his friend's reply before spinning around and yelling into the crowd, "Hey! Lee Sungjong!"

A hush falls over the group as all eyes turn to the three men, no doubt wondering what all the commotion is about and Sunggyu is sure he has never been more embarrassed than he is right now. He's torn between wanting to run away and wanting to beat the team leader up for putting him in such an awkward situation. He feels even worse when he spots Sungjong looking at him, his expression curious yet confused and maybe a little bit worried. The director wants to tell him not to worry and that Woohyun was just being stupid, but speaking seems impossible right now with everyone's attention focused on him; it's not like he isn't used to talking in front of large groups of people, he just usually has time to prepare first.

The silence is on the verge of becoming extremely unbearable when the bus the company rented for the retreat pulls up in front of the building, thankfully stealing the other employees' attention. Now that everyone is back to minding their own business Sunggyu can breathe a bit easier, although it only lasts for a few seconds until he remembers who got him into this mess in the first place and he glares at Woohyun with a fire in his eyes. As oblivious as ever, the younger man is back to his overly-cheerful self, a goofy grin plastered on his face; Sunggyu should be used to his friend embarrassing him and not caring, but it still grates on his nerves. Wanting to give him a taste of his own medicine, the older man reaches out and lands a sharp smack to the back of Woohyun's head.

"The only idiot here is you."

 

~*~

 

Sunggyu has come to the conclusion that today just isn't his day; not one thing has gone right and he doesn't see it changing anytime soon. It seems especially true when he steps onto the bus and spots Sungjong sitting by himself near the back. Since the seats are filling up fast he figures it wouldn't be weird if he happened to sit next to the younger boy, it is truly a perfect opportunity. There are only a few people in front of him and none of them are Myungsoo so he's sure he can make it, but it is just when he has this thought that one of the people in front of him takes the seat— his seat— next to Sungjong and Sunggyu almost feels like crying. To make matters worse, the seat-stealer, he soon realizes, is the same guy he saw mooning over his boyfriend the week before. To make matters even worse than that, Sungjong looks up just then and meets his gaze, a hint of a smile on his lips and the director doesn't know what to do but stand there gaping like a fish until Woohyun directs him none-too-gently into an empty seat.

And now he is stuck between a rock and a hard place with the highway zooming by through the window on one side and a yammering best friend on the other. Sunggyu wishes he could sleep through the entire bus ride, but that's kind of hard to do when Woohyun is whining in his ear about how unfair it is that Dongwoo wasn't allowed to come; it takes an incredible amount of patience for him to remind the younger man that his boyfriend isn't part of their department so he obviously wasn't invited. Of course, that does nothing to appease the team leader, who seems to forget that he is a grown man and not a toddler for all the pouting he's doing. The director would almost prefer sitting next to Hoya— at least he can appreciate silence.

What feels like a lifetime (but in reality, is only a couple of hours) later, the bus pulls into a rest stop so the employees can stretch their legs and do whatever else they need to do before they get back on the road. Since Woohyun sulked himself to sleep half an hour ago, Sunggyu finally has some peace and quiet and he doesn't really feel like leaving his seat. That is, until he sees Sungjong walking into the convenience store and before knows what he's doing, he pushes past his slumbering friend and dashes off the bus as calmly as he can.

Once he steps into the store he takes a moment to scan the room and figure out some kind of plan. He had not thought about how to approach the kid or even what to say, he just knows he has to be subtle; quite a few of their coworkers are roaming the aisles and the last thing the older man needs is another rumor, especially if it involves Sungjong. Speaking of the younger boy, he spies him browsing through the selection of snacks near the back, his hands already full with all kinds of junk food.

Sunggyu wastes no time strolling over to where the kid is, his steps perhaps a bit too eager for someone trying to be nonchalant. Sungjong doesn't seem to notice him, though, his attention still on the display in front of him; he looks so focused the director almost doesn't want to interrupt him. He finally gets his chance a moment later when the boy, having made up his mind, reaches for a bag of chips and struggles to hold onto the snacks he already has while trying to pick up a new one. Chuckling softly at the cute sight, Sunggyu moves forward to help him, plucking the bag from the shelf and placing it on top of the small pile he's cradling in his other arm.

Sungjong's eyes are on him at last, shocked at first but then shrinking with the enormous grin that blossoms on his face. "Thanks."

"No problem." The director would like nothing more than to pinch his boyfriend's cheek or ruffle his hair, but their coworkers' presence makes that next to impossible. He decides to remain cool and casual, shoving his hands into his pockets in case he gets tempted to do anything affectionate. But he can't resist teasing the kid just a little. "You're not planning on eating all of that by yourself, are you?"

Hugging his snacks a bit closer, the younger boy lets out a breathy laugh and replies, "No, of course not. Most of this stuff is actually for Kangsoo."

"Oh." Sunggyu could have gone the rest of the day (not to mention the rest of his life) without hearing that name again. He knows he's being childish, but he just doesn't like the guy— there isn't anything he can do about it. It is taking a great deal of effort not to roll his eyes or sigh dramatically and he thinks that shows real progress.

Sungjong seems rather amused, his nose wrinkling with suppressed laughter. "Why are you making that face?"

So much for progress... He thought he had done a fairly good job of controlling his facial expressions, but apparently, he was wrong. Still, he refuses to admit anything. "What face— I'm not making a face."

"Yes, you are. You look like you just a lemon." The boy is as persistent as the older man is evasive.

Clearing his throat, Sunggyu tries to erase every last trace of emotion from his expression. "I don't know what you're talking about; this is just my face. Are you saying I look weird?"

"Not any weirder than usual," the younger boy quips before brushing past him and heading to the register up front. His boss is right behind him, no longer concerned with whoever might be around them. He has an equally witty rebuttal poised on the tip of his tongue when Sungjong turns to him again, smirking like the adorable devil he is. "So, what was that all about earlier? Team Leader Nam yelling my name like that?"

The director comes to an abrupt halt, partly because of the sudden change in subject and partly because they're now in line to check out; he was kind of expecting it, but he really hoped that incident would be long forgotten by now. Not in the mood for embarrassing himself in public, Sunggyu decides to play dumb, shrugging as he says, "I don't know. You'd have to ask him."

Sungjong gives him a pointed look, clearly not believing one word of what he said, before shaking his head and sighing. "You're ridiculous."

Sunggyu can't argue with that; even he can't believe the things that are coming out of his own mouth. It would probably be best if he didn't say anything for a while. Thankfully, it's Sungjong's turn to pay and he steps up to the register to place his snacks on the counter. For a few seconds there is nothing but the sound of the machine scanning each item along with the indistinct chatter of the other customers in the store until the cashier announces the total. The younger boy starts rummaging in his pockets for money, but before he can pull out even a cent the director is already handing over his card. The transaction is over rather quickly and Sunggyu takes his card and the bag with a polite thank you. He's now the one leading the way as they head to the door with the kid trailing closely behind.

"You didn't have to do that," Sungjong insists once they're outside. He sounds more upset than he looks, the tiny smile on his lips giving away his true feelings.

"I know." The director doesn't think it's that big of a deal; he was just trying to be a good boyfriend. "But I wanted to."

The boy is absolutely beaming now, his happiness creating a glow around him that Sunggyu may or may not be imagining. He's sure the grin on his face is just as bright, though. He is beginning to think there might be some hope for this trip after all.