Eleven.

The Specials

Chanyeol started up at his dad, his eyes slightly wet.

“This is not a drill. We have to go fight, right now!” his father announced. There was a slightl grumble about the den as the men of the gang grew annoyed. Though Chanyeol thought if anyone should be annoyed, it was him. After all, it was his fifth birthday.

His lip wobbled sadly as his father knelt down in front of him.

He knew how to fight. He’d known that since before he could talk, thanks to where he’d grown up – in the centre of a vicious gang rivalry in the ty part of town.

“Pa, where’s mum and Yura?” little Chanyeol asked, a few tears falling down his chubby cheeks.

His dad sighed, “You know where, Chan. They left for a better life, okay? So me and you is all we got”

“Me and you is all we got” Chanyeol nodded, wiping his face on his sleeve.

“Hey, dry those tears, bud” his dad said softly. “You’re gonna be a big boy, aren’t you. Chanyeollie? Gonna show daddy what a strong boy you are?” he soothed, placing a gun into his son’s hand and pressing a knife into the holster strapped to the child’s hip.

“Yes, Pa. I’ll do good” he fought back more scared tears.

His dad smiled, ruffling Chanyeol’s hair, “That’s my boy. Let’s go show those good for nothin’ bastards who’s in charge!” he said as he got back to his feet.

Chanyeol tried to make his little legs keep up with the fast pace of the men as he marched out of the shabby warehouse. His father had taken him out to small fights between the gangs before, but something felt different this time, something felt darker and even in his childish mind he knew that he wasn’t allowed to be little for much longer.

By the time he’d gotten outside, the fight was already in full effect and people were being hit, stabbed, or gunned down everywhere that Chanyeol turned.

He ran over to a broken wall to crouch behind it, he was scared and he didn’t want to do this. He didn’t want to fight. He just wanted his mum and sister back to tell him it was okay. Wanted them to take him away with them.

He’d told his dad once that the boys from playgroup didn’t fight and that if they did, then their mothers would tell them off. His dad had pulled him out of playgroup after that, and it had just been around the clock training.

He crouched as low as he could, but to no avail, because in the next moment there was a man’s face leering over at him, eye swollen and bloody as he sneered down at the child.

“Well, what do we have here? Baby wants to play with the big boys, does he?”

Chanyeol fought back the urge to cry, his hands gripping his gun tightly in his hands.

“You’re not supposed to play with those, kid” the man laughed scathingly, “they ain’t toys, you know”

Chanyeol pointed the gun towards the man’s chest, “You don’t know me!” he shouted, “I’m not a baby!”

“Oh, baby’s got a mouth on him just like his Pops. Your Pops is gonna be worm food soon, kid. And then so will you” another laugh left the man.

Chanyeol’s chubby little fingers tightened on the trigger and then with a loud bang, the smile fell from the man’s face as a pretty red stain blossomed on his shirt.

Chanyeol felt as though his whole world had collapsed as he nameless man’s body dropped down before his feet. His little hands shook violently from the impact of not only seeing the body, but the force of shooting a gun had on his not-fully-developed arms.

Everything seemed to go in slow motion for the child then, as the police sirens blared in the distance. Then he was being swept up by his dad and they were running and not stopping until they were back at the shabby warehouse.

“Did you see!” his dad roared happily, lifting Chanyeol high so that everyone could see the boy, “My son made his first kill today! My boy is a man!”

There was an uproar of cheers, but the boy didn’t want them. He didn’t want to kill people, to hurt them even.

His dad placed him back down on his feet with a grin and ruffled his hair, “Happy birthday, Chanyeol”

 

It had only taken them ten minutes for them to don their gear and be following Changmin out of the school grounds and down to the battle field.

None of them had ever seen so many Specials in one place before. There were hundreds of them, so they all knew that this wouldn’t be good. From the distance, they could see a line up of Rogues, maybe thousands of them. They really had been building up their numbers, if they’d managed to bring the numbers back up that high.

It hit them hard in that moment, that this war was real. That this was actually happening. That they were about to fight. That these could be there last moments of life.

It was make or break, and they didn’t know which fate was waiting for them.

“Alright” Changmin said, “As for now, you’re the last line of defence, you might move up the line fast. I honestly don’t know, but what I do know is that this is it. This is your life, your friends’ lives on the line, and your mistakes are going to matter. You need to be on your guard. This fight is going on throughout the city and where you get stationed will be pot luck at this point. You’re all brilliant fighters, I don’t dispute that, but you’re sloppy sometimes and we can’t have that now. I’m up front, so I have to go, just listen to instructions and… don’t die. Copy?” he looked at each of them in turn, trying to get across just how much he really didn’t want them hurt.

“Yes, sir!” came the collective response and then Changmin was running off to the front line, where the rest of the Guards were waiting for his return.

Down the way they could see Onew and the other teachers already there and poised for battle. It seemed like everywhere they turned, there were both familiar and strange faces, all looking ready but none could hide the terror behind their eyes.

“So, this is it, huh?” Kris said softly, “This is our last chance to do some good”

Junmyeon nodded, his hand seeking Yixing’s and gripping onto it tightly, “It looks like it”

“No matter what happens” Kyungsoo said, “We’ll meet each other at the end. Back here, all of us. We’ll all make it through this, alright?”

Baekhyun pulled Kyungsoo into a tight, desperate hug, “I love you, okay?”

“I know, I love you too” Kyungsoo hugged him back before they pulled apart to see a large man headed towards them.

“You four,” he said gruffly, pointing to Kyungsoo, Jongin, Junmyeon and Yixing, “get down to the city and fight. You four,” he pointed to Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Minseok and Jongdae, “You’re in the woods. Go! And the last four,” he addressed Kris, Tao, Sehun and Luhan, “you’re coming to the front with me. And for those of you going into the city, the refuge point is the old mill, just out of town. Get all the Normals you can to safety. Get moving! Now!”

They didn’t even get to say goodbye before they were being pushed apart and then they were running, fast and determined, to where they needed to be.

 

When they got to the city, Yixing and Junmyeon were sent to one side of the city, whilst Kyungsoo and Jongin were sent to the other.

The fighting in the city was heavy and screams littered the air, whilst debris covered the ground. Houses were half blown up and bricks lay in piles where walls had been knocked through. The air was thick with dust, bringing a plague of coughing down upon the fighters, both good and bad.

There were bodies scattered around the floor, some looking as though they could be sleeping and others that were not so fortunate.

A large block of wall came flying forward towards them and Kyungsoo only barely managed to push Jongin out of the way before it hit the younger. He pulled it around heavily and sent it back to the Rogue that had thrown it at them, hitting him hard in the gut and sending him to the floor in pain and winded, giving Kyungsoo and Jongin time to circle around to where their side needed more hands on deck.

Fires were beginning to break out around the city, along with the dirty cackles of the Rogues as they sought out innocent Normals to torture.

“We need to get them out!” Kyungsoo shouted above the roaring noise, “Jongin, go and teleport people to safety! Go!”

Jongin looked as though he didn’t want to leave the elder, but he knew there were far bigger things to worry about, so gave the Earth Special a nod before darting off into a burning house where he found two young children trembling as they huddled under a broken table.

“Hey, it’s okay. I’m here to help you” Jongin told them softly, “Take my hand…” he held out his hands to them, waiting for them to trust him.

It was the girl that moved first, crying silently as she held onto her younger brother and took Jongin’s hand. Just in time too, as a large chunk of the ceiling thundered down where they had just been sat.

The boy let out a yelp of fear and then Jongin got them out and took them to the refuge point.

“Jack! Lola! Oh thank god!” A woman who looked rather battered started as she ran over to the children, a man following after her.

“Ma! Pa!” the kids cried back as they were swept up by their parents, who were holding them close and paying their thanks to Jongin.

Jongin didn’t stay to watch anymore. He gave them a small nod before returning to the city to get out more innocent people before they were hurt or killed.

Kyungsoo did his best to keep track of where Jongin was as he fought. He’d formed a sort of allegiance with another Special, a girl that could control graphite above all, but several other stones also. Amber was her name, they’d bonded together, squashing any Rogues that came at them.

Kyungsoo was too caught up in the war to realise that he was actually killing people, that they all were. It wouldn’t hit him until much later, just how much war could change you.

“” Amber hissed as a sharp shard of metal caught her cheek as it flew past, leaving her a large cut across it.

Kyungsoo winced at the angry looking slice, “You alright?”

“Not dead” Amber said, clenching a fist and caving in a Rogue’s head between two graphite slates, “That’s what matters” she let out a heavy breath of air.

“Right,” Kyungsoo nodded, “Not dead.”

Amber grinned, “But they should be” she said darkly, and like a mutual agreement had been made through the look they shared, they tuned back to the onslaught of their foes and started swinging once again.

There were bits of rock, glass, metal flying everywhere, hitting the bare parts of their skin and causing little scrapes and scratches but nobody paid it any mind, too focused on the fight before them.

“There’s too many of them!” Kyungsoo yelled, “They’re everywhere!”

Amber sighed, “Can’t you make an earthquake or something? Swallow them up?” she yelled back questioningly.

“Not unless you want the whole city to go under and have innocent blood on your hands!” he said, “I won’t risk it whilst there are still Normals in the city!”

“Your call then!” Amber nodded, “Half of that house is gonna collapse!” she pointed, “help me lure in that group of ers over there!”

Kyungsoo nodded, “On it!” he said, then together they began to move and work out a trap.

The Rogues were none too wise as they fell into the movements that Kyungsoo and Amber had set up. Placing them where they were wanted, allowing Kyungsoo to let the ball drop, burying the group under the fallen house, crushing them to death.

They both winced at the sound of the snapping bones and squelching bodies beneath the rubble. That definitely wasn’t a sound they’d ever want to get used to.

“I got out everyone as far as eleven streets back in each direction” Jongin announced as he landed behind the pair, “From there, there’re other people getting them out”

Kyungsoo and Amber shared a look before Kyungsoo gave a tiny nod, “Go with Jongin and get everyone to fall back as far as twelve streets. Jongin I need you to signal me when they’re back, then come catch me.”

“Catch you?” Jongin asked in confusion.

“Catch me” Kyungsoo affirmed, “Go!”

Jongin’s eyes looked sad as he took in everything that was happening around them, Kyungsoo and Amber killing people… People falling down everywhere, rocks and rubble crashing down upon the fights.

“Kyungsoo…” he said, his voice cracking slightly, he didn’t want to leave the elder to fight alone. That was the last damn thing he wanted.

Kyungsoo looked back at him, turning momentarily away from the treat to take Jongin’s hand and give it a squeeze, “Go, Jongin. It’ll be okay. Just come and catch me when it’s time, alright? It’s going to be fine, I promise” he soothed, then dropped the younger’s hand.

It was when Amber grabbed his arm and began to tug him away that Jongin reluctantly agreed to the unclear plan that Kyungsoo had upon him.

Kyungsoo waited and waited until finally a small rock fell out of nowhere, as though coming out of a void.

There were Rogues running at him, at least fifty that he could see, and more coming from the sides and behind, looking full of themselves. They stopped short at the sight of Kyungsoo smirking, then the next thing that they knew, everything was shaking violently, buildings were crumbling, cars were sounding screeching alarms, glass was cracking and shattering until the Earth began to cave in on itself and it wasn’t stopping as a gaping hole came about and they could do nothing but fall to their deaths.

Kyungsoo had set it off and he didn’t know if he’d be able to stop it. He concentrated with all his might, barely containing the quake to the designated area.

The next thing that happened, the ground was flaking away beneath his feet and he was losing his footing, he closed his eyes tightly as he began to fall into the canyon he’d created.

He was almost certain that he was going to die, but then a pair of arms grasped him firmly around the waist and he was being pulled through the darkness until the light came back and he was sat in Jongin’s arms among the rubble, looking out at the bottomless put before them that had swallowed half of the city and the Rogues along with it.

“They’re gonna hear about this…” Jongin said slowly, “and they’re gonna be pissed that you killed off a fair amount of their numbers”

Kyungsoo sighed, “I’m ready for them” he said, “Believe me, I’m ready”

 

Sehun growled as he and the Sargent used the power of wind to push back the enemy lines. It was tiring work and he felt as though he was being pushed to his limits.

“You’re good at this, kid!” the Sargent yelled over the noise of the wind, “You sure you grew up all sheltered?”

“With respect, sir, I had the most sheltered ing life going until me mam and dad got killed. I grew up with the Norms. It was cushdy!”

The Sargent laughed, “And how’s the not-so-cushdy life treating ya?”

“Could be worse” Sehun shrugged, forcing a harsher wind to blow, “could be better, too though” he laughed tiredly.

“Well, you’re not wrong” The Sargent said, “Now, how about we show these ers what we’re made of?!”

“Hurricane time?” Sehun raised a brow.

The Sargent grinned, “Let’s mess ‘em up, Son” he gave the affirmative nod, then together they threw the Rogues into a whirlwind of fear.

It was then that Kris burst through, leaping into the air and changing into a Dragon mid-leap. He let out a roar of anger, causing the enemy to scream and cry out in fear. They hadn’t been expecting that, that was for sure.

If it were possible for a Dragon to smirk, Sehun had no doubt in his mind that Kris would have been doing so. He gave a mighty flap of his wings, knocking people over before opening his mouth and letting all hell rain down upon The Rogues.

There was a thunderous grumble from inside the Dragon’s chest, then his throat began to glow a violent blue and he let out a large burst of unforgiving fire, scolding and burning his victims, some to death, others just enough for the pain to make them wish they were dead.

Sehun and the Sargent did their upmost to use their power over the wind in order to keep the fire contained to where the enemy stood, but then a Rogue stood from the flames, not a burn on him and they knew that this would be bad.

The nameless Rogue brought the Dragon fire up over his head, then with a laugh so foul it made Sehun want to cry, he threw the screaming hot fire at the Specials.

The screams of pain were horrendous and so very loud as Special after Special keeled over, meeting their fiery end. They’d lost maybe forty of their numbers and many more were hurt.

Sehun looked over to Luhan to see the boy hissing in pain. Along his arm was red and blistered from where the fire had managed to catch him, Sehun wanted desperately to go and make sure that he was okay, but knew that he couldn’t, at least not yet.

A lot of the ground was burning along with many victims of the fire, but there was nothing to be done about it, not when the Rogues were unrelenting in their fight to kill.

Luhan’s arm was bubbling and blistering but he gritted his teeth and did his best to ignore it whilst he memorised the face of the Rogue that had caused it.

Tao was quick in realising what the elder wanted to do, “Take my hand” he said to the elder, “I have an idea”

Luhan did so without question, showing the faith that they had in each other. He let out a small gasp as all around him time started to slow.

It occurred to him then, just how dangerous Tao could be if he wanted to be so. It was a scary notion and the thought of having so much power both amazed and terrified Luhan.

He kept a hold on Tao’s hand as he sought out something, anything, in the rubble that could help him. In the end, his eyes landed on the belt of a dead Rogue. With a slight cringe, he used his power to detach the belt from the corpse and moved it over to where the Fire Rogue stood, where he wrapped it thrice around the man’s neck and pulled at either end.

He gave Tao a small nod and time moved at normal speed again. The two of them watched as the man gasped for air, pilling at the belt with all his might, but to no avail, then his body went limp and he fell to the ground, joining the other corpses and following them out of life.

“That’ll teach the little er” Luhan muttered under his breath before re-joining the battle properly.

He spared a glance over at Sehun, where he saw the younger fighting against two Rogues, hand to hand. Sehun was doing surprisingly well – all of the lessons must have paid off.

Admittedly, though he hadn’t actually known what to expect from having to fight in the war, he hadn’t expected there to be so much physical fighting. He’d assumed it would be mostly powers, but as he looked around there were people throwing punches left, right and centre. Even Kris, though still in Dragon form, had taken to grabbing people with his claws and throwing them harshly into other Rogues.

He vaguely wondered how the others were doing; if they were fighting, or hiding. If they were alive… But he shook away the thoughts, knowing that if he lost his focus, there would be no telling how he’d meet his end.

Focus was key and though his friends meant everything to him and more, he couldn’t risk his life over thoughts and worries that he didn’t know if he’d even get an answer for.

He gave Tao a small glance, whereby the younger nodded in return, then the two of them were running full throttle towards to Rogues, ready to win the war for good.

 

The woods were quieter than expected, though they could hear the uproar from the city just beyond and the roar of a large animal from the battle field.

“Do you think they’re okay?” Baekhyun whispered lowly, he was crouched behind a large oak beside Jongdae, who was peering around for any sign of danger.

Jongdae looked at him, “Do you want the truth, or a lie?” he asked.

“Truth”

Jongdae nodded, “Okay. I honestly have no idea. We’re all good fighters, but we’ve got no idea what’s out there. We’re in way over our heads with this and I don’t know how many of us are going to make it out alive” he said softly, gripping Baekhyun’s hand tightly in his own.

Baekhyun let out a slightly bitter laugh, “I did mean the low-key version of the truth” he said, “Maybe a little less doom and gloom”

“Doom and gloom is all I’ve got, unfortunately” Jongdae smiled with a small shrug, “I can see Min and Yeol. They’re headed back here”

Sure enough, a moment later the pair were moving in to crouch down beside Jongdae and Baekhyun.

“There’s a group of about ten to the west and another to the south of about fifteen. They’re patrolling the woods for any of our lot. We’ve got a central group of about twenty. I told their leader – Victoria – about the Rogue packs, so they’re on their guard. There’s another group of ours to the east, about five or so, headed up by Chaerin. They’re on their guard too. Last we saw, the west bound group were headed our way, so be ready” Minseok whispered urgently, “Something tells me they’re not just stopping by for a natter. It’s kill or be killed. Got it?”

The others nodded, getting back to their feel, though keeping out of sight as they readied themselves for a sight.

It was mostly silent, but after five minutes or so, there was a tell-tale crunch of leaves and the sound of men and woman walking and chattering loudly.

“Oh, there’s some here” a woman purred, “Young ones too. I can smell them. Come out little babies, we promise not to hurt you too badly”

A man laughed harshly, “Came out, come out wherever you are… Or shall we play a little game of hide and seek? If you win, you’re free… But if we win,” he jumped out in front of Baekhyun with a sly, menacing smirk, “You die. Hello, baby”

His black and yellowed teeth were making Jongdae feel nauseous as he stood beside Baekhyun, who clearly wasn’t enjoying the sight either.

Baekhyun’s eyes narrowed, “I really with you hadn’t called me that” he said through gritted teeth, “Pet names don’t really sit well with me”

The group laughed as the grimy looking man with tattered, greasy hair shot them an amused look, “And what you gonna do about it, little baby? Cry to mumsy?”

“Tempting” Baekhyun deadpanned, “But I had a better idea” a smirk came to his lips as the smile dropped, his dirty hands flying up to at his eyes.

“I can’t see!” he called out in terror, “The little bastard’s blinded me!”

Jongdae took that as his chance to show the man over, a blot of electricity running out of his palms and into the man as he slammed back into the rest of his posse.

“Bastards!” Another woman screeched, darting forward and slapping Baekhyun hard across the face, “How dare you!”

Baekhyun didn’t even flinch, but Chanyeol wasn’t so calm.

It was with a growl that he used fired to shove the woman back, burning her entire front un the process.

She screamed in pain as her pretty face blistered and cracked like a pig roasting  on a spit.

“Like hurting woman, do you boy?” a handsome man stepped forward, flexing his chiselled jaw as his bright green eyes pierced Chanyeol’s brown ones.

“I don’t like hurting anyone. But if a woman is tough enough to make a swing, she’s tough enough to take one. It’s not a one sided standard, pal” Chanyeol responded shortly. His hands still flaming lowly in an unspoken threat.

The man hummed as though he approved of the statement, he gave Chanyeol a once over and smiled not unkindly, “I see. Well then, son. How about you play with someone your own size?” He suggested without room for disagreement as he lifted his palms up to face Chanyeol, then at an alarming rate, wooden darts began to shoot out of them.

Training for years definitely had its benefits. It allowed Baekhyun, Jongdae and Minseok to jet out of the way and begin to take on the rest of the group whilst Chanyeol fought the handsome Rogue.

“Ever killed anyone before, Son?” the man asked as he watched Chanyeol dodge many of his darts and reduce others to ashes.

Chanyeol laughed once, low and bitter, “I’ve killed more people than you could dream of” he said, “Don’t let me charm fool you”

“Wouldn’t dream of it” the man said softly, managing to catch Chanyeol’s shoulder with a dart and bury it deep into him.

The Rogue looked impressed at the fact Chanyeol didn’t even stop to acknowledge it, he simply set his shoulder alight and allowed the ashes of what had been the dart to trickle out with the blood of the wound.

“You’re oddly polite for a Rogue” Chanyeol commented as he managed to catch the man’s hand and burn it slightly.

The handsome man laughed softly, “I see no reason to be hostile to you. If you not for this war, we would not be fighting. Our views differ, but we are both still people” he said calmly.

“How very civil of you” Chanyeol pursed his lips, “I might have liked you if you weren’t, you know, scum of the Earth and all that”

The man smiled, shooting several more darts Chanyeol’s way, “And I, you. If not for you being a dirty Normal sympathiser” he shrugged almost playfully as he dodged a few flames that Chanyeol had thrown at him.

“Edgar!” One of the two woman left standing shouted, “Edgar, fall back! Fall back, now!”

The handsome man – Edgar as it were – sighed as though he was being terribly hard done to and lowered his hands. He looked at Chanyeol apologetically, which almost made Chanyeol want to laugh at the sheer thought of it all, “Another time then, my boy” Edgar said with a smile, “It seems I have been grouped with a bunch of incompetent  fighters, with even worse manners. Alas, I must go. Apologises, this fight was rather… enjoyable” his lips curled up slightly at one side as he gave Chanyeol a small bow before the pretty woman with the burnt face grabbed him and began to haul him away as quickly as he could manage with her, the other woman and the three men left standing, leaving behind their dead and the blinded man.

“DON’T LEAVE ME HERE!” The dirty looking man cried out loudly, “DON’T LEAVE ME HERE, YOU COWARDS!”

Minseok tutted, “They’re gone, idiot. Shut up” he snapped as he nursed a wound on his arm, which had been curtesy of one of the women of the group, when she had crown claws and made a grab for him.

The blind man began to weep, cradling his face in his grimy hands, though the boys showed no remorse.

They of course felt bad for him, they weren’t heartless, but he had tried to kill them.

The coward.

“Please don’t kill me” he sobbed at their feet, “Please, I beg you, don’t kill me”

Baekhyun scoffed, crouching down in front of the man and grabbing his chin harshly to still him, “Don’t beg” he ordered harshly, “It’s pathetic. You’re pathetic enough without begging. Not so big now, are you? Without your little friends, what are you but a piece of on the floor? Huh? You’re nothing. You come here, and you tell people that Normals deserve to die, and the likes of you should rule this place? You think you could rule a planet when you can’t even control yourself?

 “You make me sick. The lot of you do. You’re begging people with years less experience than you not to kill you? I’d sooner die than be where you are right now. Stinking of piss and grovelling like a pathetic little animal. You’re nothing… nothing. We’re not going to kill you…” he hissed, pushing the man’s face away from him and standing up straight again, wiping his hand on his jeans as though it were infected by just touching the man.

“Oh, sir, thank you! Thank you, kind boy!” The man whimpered, getting to his knees and grabbing blindly to Baekhyun’s legs.

Baekhyun stepped back in disgust, “Shut up!” he snapped, “I said we’d spare your miserable excuse for a life. I didn’t say anything about being kind in doing so” he spat, “Yeol, Dae. Tie him to that tree, tight enough that it hurts” he commanded.

Minseok and Jongdae shared a concerned look as Baekhyun looked down his nose at the snivelling man.

“Baek…” Jongdae tried, but it was pointless.

“DO IT!” Baekhyun shouted, “And hurry up about it. We need to relocate. Leave the bodies as are. Someone else will clean them up”

He remained stoic in the face as he waited for the others to do as instructed before he gave them a small nod and they moved on, ignoring the pleas that the pathetic man screamed after them.

Jongdae walked beside Baekhyun uneasily until he couldn’t take it any longer, he placed a hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder and stopped them all in their tracks, “What the was that?!” he demanded hotly.

Baekhyun seemed to deflate at the question, “I… I don’t know” he admitted, his voice cracking, “It’s just… He reminded me of… And I just… I snapped. I didn’t mean to be so… I didn’t… I can’t just… I’m sorry, Jongdae” he whispered, his eyes glistening slightly with tears.

Jongdae sighed, pulling his best friend into a hug, “Shut up, stupid. Look, I know this is hard, but what happened back there… Baek, we can’t let that happen again, okay?” he pulled back slightly to look at Baekhyun, “That… We aren’t those people. We can’t get back at them for what they’ve done to us right now. This war isn’t a personal vendetta. It’s about making this world a liveable place and not letting evil win out. Yeah, he was a pathetic excuse for a person, and we’d have left him there either way, but that… Baek, I was scared of you back there…”

Baekhyun swallowed hard, “I know, I’m sorry. I am, I don’t know what came over me… It won’t happen again, I promise. I’m not… I don’t want to be a bad person…”

“I’ve seen bad people, Baek” Chanyeol spoke up, nudging Jongdae gently out of the way and taking his place, “And you ain’t one of them. Believe me. Bad people get off on that , and I know you well enough to know that what happened back there was out of fear, not out of some sick desire to see someone hurt. You are so far from a bad person it’s almost funny that you think you’d be one, alright?”

Baekhyun nodded sadly, “Alright” he repeated.

“Hey,” Chanyeol said, tilting Baekhyun’s chin up with his fingers, “Don’t give me that. We’ve got a war to win here, Byun Baek, and I need you on top of your game. Because if anything happens to you, I can tell you now, I might just have to turn into a bad person”

Baekhyun laughed, wiping at his tears with the back of his sleeve, “I don’t want that to happen” he said, “I don’t want my giant to change for the worse”

“Good, because I don’t either, but you gotta stay with me in this if you mean that, alright? You gotta keep your head screwed on. No more making little cowards piss themselves, no matter how much they deserve it, yeah?” Chanyeol smiled, brushing back Baekhyun’s hair with his long fingers.

Baekhyun nodding, “So you’re saying… I’ve got to…. Get my head in the game?” he raised a brow.

“I swear to god, you make another high school musical reference during this fight, I will set you on fire myself” Chanyeol deadpanned, making Baekhyun laugh.

“But Yeol, why does this feel so wrong? My head’s in the war, but my heart’s in the song…” Baekhyun snickered as the four began to walk through the woods again, keeping their voices low in case of any unwanted company.

Jongdae grinned at the way Chanyeol groaned, “Yeol, I think you make this feel so right…”

“Should Baek go for it?” Minseok put in.

“Yikes” Chanyeol gave in, earning quiet giggles from the others.

Times like these were important in a war. Wars were vicious, unrelenting, and all around spirit crushing, but in spite of that, there were times when you had to pick yourself back up and allow yourself to smile.

As morbid as it seemed, you had to laugh in a war, because otherwise the grief of it would pull you under and it would never let you back up, you’d drown in a sea of your own regret and none of them wanted that to happen.

They would find moments to laugh, to smile.

By god, they’d find them, even on the darkest days.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: what's next for the boys? Dun dun duuuuuunnnn....

Much love~

Until next time<3