Chapter 8

Simply Meant To Be

            “Hello!” Baekhyun greeted when Tao opened the door of his house.

            “What are you doing here?”

            Baekhyun raised the cake behind him. “This is for you. For your help to Minwoo.”

            “I haven’t done anything yet.”

            “The mere fact that you volunteered to find a doctor for Minwoo is enough. Can I come in?”

            All he wants is to see Tao. He is in his Sungmin hyung’s house when he suddenly missed Tao. After he admitted to himself his feelings for Tao at the hospital yesterday, he always look for him. He doesn’t really want to visit Tao but when he read an article that says it’s natural to look for someone that you love, he rushed to meet Tao. And he even brought cake.

            Baekhyun saw the papers on Tao’s coffee table when he entered.

           
            “That’s Minwoo’s medical record.” Tao said.

            “Minwoo’s?”

            “I want to know more about his condition before I send his record to the US. I’m still looking for a good doctor for him.”

            “You already read his medical record. Well, what do you think?”

            “Baekhyun—”

            “I only want to know your opinion, Tao.” Baekhyun placed the cake on the table. “Here’s my bribe.”

            “I’m not fond of sweets.”

            “You’re so mean. I baked this one!”

            “Fine.” Tao sighed, then went to the kitchen. When he came back, he is holding two plates, two forks and a steak knife. Then he sat on the floor. He sliced the cake and placed it on the two plates. “Minwoo’s condition is stable.” Tao stated. “At the moment. His body is also well.”

            “But…?” He sat beside Tao.

            “The tumor’s location in his brain is sensitive.”

            Baekhyun’s shoulders dropped at what he heard. “So… will he…”

            “Die? I can’t answer that. But his chances of living are high when the tumor will be removed. The problem is, his family will have to pay a huge sum of money for the operation. Do they have enough resources for it? Because the surgery is really costly.”

            Chaeyoung is just a simple housewife while her husband is running a small store in Busan.

            “How much will it cost?” Tao told him the estimates. Baekhyun almost fainted at what he heard. It is so expensive. “So, if Minwoo will be operated by an experienced surgeon, will he recover?”

            “We’re not yet sure. There is a possibility that after someone undergoes surgery, they will be well. There are also people whose bodies cannot tolerate the surgery. But at least, what I have said, with the best doctor, he’ll have a fighting chance.”

            Baekhyun stabbed the cake with his fork. “Why can’t you give me a positive answer?”

            “It is what it is, Baekhyun.”

            “But if you will—”

            “Baekhyun—”

            “No, it was just a hypothetical question. What if you will be the one who will do Minwoo’s surgery?” Baekhyun faced Tao. “You think you can save him? Will the operation be successful?”

            Tao thinks for a while before answering. “I think so. In my opinion, the recovery rate of the patient would be ninety percent. And with proper supervision, he’ll be back to normal in no time.”

            Baekhyun nodded. “I will not disagree on what you have said because I know that it was true. I have read a few articles about your surgeries in the US. I’m so amazed—”

            “Let’s not talk about that, Baekhyun. I don’t want to remember anything that has to do with my past.”

            “But it is your past that can save Minwoo, Tao.”

            “We already talked about it. Why don’t you just leave it a rest already?”

            “Because I want to save my godchild.”

            “Is looking for a doctor not enough?’

            Baekhyun wants to be angry. He wants Tao to understand why it is important for him to handle Minwoo. Because he is the one that he really trusts that can save Minwoo. But if he pushes it further, they will have a misunderstanding. And he doesn’t want that to happen because they have to focus on more important things. Which is Minwoo.

            “Yeah, that was good enough.” He just agreed. He just continued eating his cake. “The cake that I have made is not that delicious. Give me that.”

            But Tao already took the cake back. “Don’t be silly. If my stomach will hurt, I’ll say so. For now, I’m still fine so do not take the cake away.”

            “But it’s not delicious…”

            “I’ll be the one to decide on that.”

            Baekhyun just watched Tao silently while the latter is reading Minwoo’s medical records. And he can’t help but smile. A few weeks ago, he doesn’t really notice Tao back then because for him, Minho is the most handsome man in this world. Well, Tao is handsome too, in a different way. Not in a bad way though.

            Baekhyun laughed at himself. He even made an excuse to describe Tao. But then, it wasn’t just Tao’s handsome face that got Baekhyun. Because despite his sometime irritating coldness, Dr. Huang Zitao had a gentle heart. And he loved him for that. When will he tell tao about his feelings? Will Tao be okay with it? Would they still treat each other like this after his confession? Hmm, this is really hard when you’re in love. There are so many questions. There are so many “what ifs”. Well, it’s really frightening to think that maybe their feelings aren’t mutual. It hurts when your feelings aren’t returned so it’s natural to think what will happen in the future.

            But will something happen if he just keeps on creating scenarios inside his head? Shouldn’t he be doing something? He’s brave. He can do this. “Tao—”

            Tao’s handsome face slowly turned to him. “Hmm?”

            Baekhyun’s heart beats wildly. “Nothing!”

            Tao’s forehead knotted. “Why are you shouting?”

            “I said nothing! I just want to shout!”

            “You’re noisy.”

            Baekhyun took a deep breath before facing Tao. I can do this. I am tough like that cool armadillo. I can do this. O have to do this. Or else… Baekhyun cursed himself in his mind.

            “You were saying something?” Tao said.

            “Nothing!” Baekhyun shouted. “Ah, actually there is!”

            “Okay. But do you really have to shout right in front of my face?”

            “Mind your own business!” This is it. He can’t go back now. And even if he wanted to, there was just something inside him that was urging him to tell Tao what he felt for him. Oh my gosh! This is the only time when he felt so nervous he might pass out.

            “Tao, listen! I have something to say to you!” Tao winced at his loud voice. But even if it’s like that, Tao doesn’t leave his side. It was a good sign. “I… I… I…like…y-you.”

            At that moment, Tao was just staring at him, while his heart will explode at any moment because of too much nervousness. This was the first time he ever told anyone how he felt. Even with Minho, he wasn’t able to do it. He thought that even he confessed to Minho, it will not feel like this. Because despite the way he feels towards Minho, it’s not as extreme as what he feels towards Tao.

            Another minute has passed and Tao is staring at him. Baekhyun can feel his cheeks flush. This is so embarrassing! I need to hide to the most secluded place in South Korea—

            “That’s the only thing that you’ll say.” Tao wiped his cheek. “You showered me with your saliva.”

            Somehow, those simple words melted the cold numbing his system and reached his heart. Until he slowly felt the adrenaline coming down. But he still feels hurt. It seems like Tao disregarded his feelings. So, this is how heartbreak feels like.

            Baekhyun tries his best to smile but the truth is he wants to cry. He strongly tapped Tao’s shoulder. “I have to go. Finish all of it, okay?” He pointed at the cake. “I tried my best to bake that.”

            Baekhyun didn’t wait for Tao to say something. He stood up and went outside the house. He gets the digital camera in the pocket of his shorts and searches for a member of the riding club. He’s heartbroken but it’s not an excuse to stop helping his godchild. He needs to gather money for Minwoo’s surgery. And he knew the easiest way to do it.

            -----------------------------

            “What’s that for?”

            “For the good of many.” Baekhyun answered at Heechul’s question. He fixed the latter’s hair and Kyuhyun’s which is beside Heechul. Of all the members that he saw at the Rider’s Verandah, these two are the most willing to have their photo taken. “Just keep in your mind that you can help a child with this.”

            “With our pictures? Cool!” Kyuhyun exclaimed.

            Baekhyun nodded. He only took a few shots when Siwon took the camera from him.  Oh no!

            “We already talked about this, Baekhyun. I already told you that you can’t sell pictures of the club members. We’re not poster boys here. I allowed you before because your Sungmin hyung pleaded not to kick you out of the club. But now, I don’t think I could allow you this time.” Siwon placed the camera in his pocket. “I’m taking off your privilege to enter the premises of the Exo Riding Club.”

            “But, Siwon, I really need it this time. I’m doing this for my godchild who needs to undergo surgery for his brain tumor. He needed the money.”

            Siwon thinks for a moment. Then he turned to someone. “Tao, can you do something about this?”

            Tao? Baekhyun felt his heart broken for the second time when he remembered how Tao rejected his feelings. He can’t make himself angry towards the young surgeon but he can’t help but feel pain.

            “I’m not Tao’s responsibility.” Baekhyun said.

            “Well, if no one’s going to take you in, then I’ll have to throw you out of the riding club for good, Baekhyun. You’re connection with Sungmin is invalid now especially that no one wants to take you in.”

            “I’ll take him in.”

            Baekhyun braced himself before facing Tao. “You don’t have to do it, Tao. I’m aware of the consequences of what I did so I accept Siwon’s decision to kick me out. I don’t need your pity.”

            “I do not pity you. And if you knew that it is wrong to break Siwon’s rules, then why you still did it?”

            “Well, someone had to do something here!” he snapped. Maybe it’s because all of the pent-up emotions from his recent heartbreak and his worry over Minwoo that he raised his voice to Tao. “I can’t let that child die! And you have no right to stop me since you’re the only one who can help him and yet you refused to do it!”

            Baekhyun knew his words hit home when Tao’s expression changed. “You don’t know what I’ve been through. So you don’t have any right to talk to me like that.”

            “You’re right. I don’t know anything about you and your past. But can’t you forget, even for a second, about how you feel? Can you please think of the child that needs your help right now?”

            “What do you think I’m doing? I think about the welfare of other people that’s why I quit being a doctor! I don’t want that another life will be gone because of my incompetency. If I operate on that child, he might die like the way that man died I operated on last year! Do you want that to happen on your godchild?”

            “Well, you are not God, Tao. You are entitled to have a mistake once in a while.”

            “Doctors are not allowed to commit mistakes, Baekhyun. Because people’s lives is in our hands when they are at the hospital.”

            Baekhyun still can’t accept Tao’s reason. “Why? Do you think you’re not committing a mistake now that you’re refusing to save the life of a child in need?”

            “There are other doctors that can do that.”

            “Damn it, Tao! You failed once because you’re not God to decide on who to live and who don’t. You’re going to fail this time because you refuse to give a child a chance to live!”

            “Why can’t you understand me? I can’t let someone die this time!”

            “It wasn’t your fault that man died, and you know it! That’s why I can’t understand why you can’t forget about it.” Baekhyun is aware that Tao knew what he is talking about because he can’t answer. “Your patient didn’t tell you that he has other illness and it wasn’t stated in his medical record. It was too late when you knew about it but you even tried to save him, right? You didn’t fail on your job to save him, Tao. You were just thinking too highly of yourself and because of that, you can’t accept that you had a patient who died.”

            Baekhyun just sighed. He doesn’t want to dig Tao’s past that the young surgeon doesn’t even want to remember. But he can’t help it. Baekhyun was a bit hurt about their little scene a while ago, but more than that, he really wanted to save his godchild. That’s why he read all of the articles about him because Tao is well-known in the medical field abroad. And that’s the reason why he is pushing Tao to handle Minwoo’s case. Because he was good. And he trusted Tao.

            “Tao…”

            “I’m sorry.” That’s it and Tao left.

            He just let Tao walk away. He tried everything that he can do. I’m sorry too, Minwoo.

            “Baekhyun.” Heechul said. “How much will you need for your godchild’s operation?”

            “What?” Baekhyun is still shaky after his argument with Tao.

            “You should have told me about this, Baekhyun.” His Sungmin hyung said. He was there the whole time. “I will help you. Haven’t you realized yet how rich our family is?”

            “If you told us the reason why you are taking the pictures, Siwon might not have kicked you out. This is the Exo Riding Club, dear. Money has no issue here. You can always ask us.” Kyuhyun said.

            “Don’t make me feel guilty.” Siwon said to everyone. “Maybe you want to be kicked out instead? Baekhyun, how much money do you need?”

-----------------------------

 

Last two chapters left! I'm sorry for the delay. I promised that I was going to post the update the other day but I wasn't able to do so. Mianhe! Anyway, after this I'm going to start at Sehun and Yixing's fic right away. ing FTW! I'll proofread and edit this tomorrow since it's already 2:00 in the morning at my place. Thank you so much! :) 

Oh, and here's a greeting from the Exo oppas, 

tumblr_o26x2yx0xm1qg7ahio1_540.png

Happy Chinese New Year, everyone! :)