Chapter 5

Simply Meant To Be

            “How’s your eye?”

            “Huh?”

            “Your eye. Isn’t it injured when—when was that again? Did you ask Donghae to check on that too?” Tao just finished checking his wound.

            “There’s no need for that. I didn’t feel anything wrong with my eye since you treated it.”

            “You need to ask Donghae to check it just to be sure.”

            “Why don’t you check it yourself?” Baekhyun leaned on Tao’s couch and looked up while waiting for the young surgeon to check his eyes. “Since I’m already here.”

            Tao did. Baekhyun can’t say anything on how Tao checks his eye. And when Tao s doing his stuff, Baekhyun felt like Tao was the most caring person he had ever met in his entire life. His patients are so lucky.

            “Why don’t you join Donghae in his clinic? You’re also a good doctor.”

            “I’m a brain surgeon.”

            “But you know how to take care of people. The way you take care of me.”

            Tao put away his things. “All of the members of Exo Riding Club have their own places here. And Donghae belongs to the clinic.”

            “You? Where do you think you belong?”

            “I only joined last year. I still don’t know my place here.”

            “Well, at least you’ve helped me. Thanks, Tao.”

            “Hmm.”

            Baekhyun fixed his hair. “You have a talent Tao, don’t waste it. I think you will help many people here at the riding club together with Donghae.”

            Tao didn’t react.

            Maybe he didn’t want to talk about his past. It can’t be like that. Tao needs to face whatever his problem is. That’s why Baekhyun thought of something that can make Tao talk. He acted like his eye hurts. And as he expected, Tao sort of panicked and picked up the phone.

            Baekhyun held Tao’s hand. “You can take care of me on your own, Tao. You don’t need anyone to help me.”

            Tao glared at him. “There’s nothing funny with what you just did, Baekhyun. I hope you won’t do that again.”

            “I just want to—”

            “Give it a rest!” Tao shouted angrily. “And I don’t need you to tell me what to do!”

            “Tao—”

            “Get out, Baekhyun.”

            “What?”

            “Your eye is not infected as well as your wound. You can go now. Good night.”

            Baekhyun doesn’t like it but he gets offended on how Tao drove him away. But he doesn’t let Tao see that. He stood up and faced the other man.

            “You’re rude.” He said. “Hmp! Be thankful that I became addicted to your smile. And to your face as well. If not, I might have punched you.”

            “I said get out.”

            “I will! Just wait because I’m not yet ready to get out.” Baekhyun marched towards the exit. “How dare you bring me here then you will get rid of me just like that?  I want to slap your ears!” He turned to Tao for the last time. “I hate you, you…you handsome, grumpy creature!”

            Bekhyun didn’t notice that he was near the door so when he turned around, his leg hit the doorframe. That’s why his wound bled again.

            You’re really unlucky, Byun Baekhyun.

            Tao approached him but when he probably saw how he looked right now, he stopped. Though Tao really looked like he wanted to help him, he decided against it.

            “I will call the paramedics from the clinic.” Tao said instead.

            “No need to do that. Thank you.” Baekhyun wiped away the blood trickling down his leg before walking out of Tao’s house.           

            Tao followed him. “Just wait for the medics.”

            “No. I’ll just go to them. Just go back to your house and continue wallowing.”

            He continued walking. Tao is also following him. His leg hurts but he didn’t stop walking. He didn’t need Tao if he didn’t want to be needed. And where are those freaking medics?

            “Baekhyun, we have to do something on your wound. It doesn’t stop bleeding and something might happen to you.”

            “I’m fine.”

            “No, you’re not.”

            “Okay, so what? You don’t have anything to do with me. You drove me out of your house, remember?” He sat on a bench to check his wound. Tao was already in front of him. “I said I don’t need—”

            “You don’t need me but your wound needs me.”

            “It doesn’t make a difference!”

            “Whatever.” Tao sat on the ground and trapped his legs.

            Baekhyun tried everything to get away from Tao’s strong hold but it’s useless. Tao brought his medicine box with him while he holds his legs. Baekhyun wants to kick him but he can’t. He might hate Tao for throwing him out like that but he still couldn’t find enough strength to hurt him. He carefully takes care of his wound that has become even worse. It’s painful so he just let Tao to do whatever he is doing. His gentle touch helped ease his pain.

            “I’m sorry.” Tao said without looking at him. “That was rude of me. I shouldn’t have talked to you like that.”

            Okay, at least he had realized his mistake. But Baekhyun is still disgruntled at him so he doesn’t say anything.

            “I just don’t want anyone to mess with my private life.” Tao continued.

            Tao looked up at him. Baekhyun caught his breath at the sight of that handsome face of a man. His heart pounded heavily against his chest. His mind is at haywire while looking at Tao. Darn! Why can’t he get angry at this man?

            You like him. Baekhyun stilled at the thought. He liked him?

            “Baekhyun…” Tao sighed when he ignored him. “The medics are here. They will take care of you.”

            Baekhyun noticed the familiar vehicle parked near them. He doesn’t wait for Tao to get up and he already walked towards the vehicle.

            “He has an open wound.” He heard Tao say to the two medics. “Take care of him.”

-----------------------------

            Everyone is having fun at the Exo Lounge. There’s a band that is currently performing and they are singing a lively song for the visitors of the engagement party of his Sungmin hyung and Sunny noona. The band that is performing is Sunny noona’s favorite band that his Sungmin hyung invited for his fiancée. While he is listening at the music, he is looking at Tao. The man is busy looking at the singer in the stage.

            It had been three days since they last talked to each other. After they part ways outside Tao’s house, the surgeon didn’t try to approach him or to talk to him. He’s still mad but not that much. Maybe if Tao tries to talk to him, he will face him. But he didn’t. And somehow, he kinda missed Tao.

            “Byun Baekhyun.”

            Baekhyun’s forehead knotted when someone appeared in front of him—obstructing his view of Tao. He looked up. “Cho Kyuhyun. What do you want?”

            “Grumpy, aren’t we? Would you like to dance with me?”

            “Why?”

            “Nothing. I just want to dance with you.”

            He is still skeptical about this. “Are you planning something?”

            “No. I just want to enjoy. And you seem to be enjoying the rock music so… shall we?”

            Baekhyun stood up. He’s bored anyway so he just let Kyuhyun bring him to the dance floor. Everyone else around him was dancing in front of the makeshift stage. He looked pitiful if he didn’t join in the fun. And Kyuhyun knew how to have fun. He can dance and after a while, he is enjoying the party.

            “Hey, there’s someone cuter there.”

            “What?”

            “That person is cuter so—ouch!”

            Baekhyun slapped Kyuhyun’s arm. “You’re leaving me here alone for someone else? What if I stab you with a fork, huh?”

            Kyuhyun just laughed and waved at someone. “Hey, Tao. Maybe you want to dance with Baekhyun. He doesn’t want me because I’m not as handsome as you.”

            Before he could even react, Kyuhyun turned him around. The next thing he knew, he was in Tao’s arms.

            “Enjoy each other.” Kyuhyun said and walked towards the stage. “Hi, Victoria!”

            And then there was just the two of them—Tao and him. When his eyes landed on Tao’s face, his heart beats erratically. He tried to get away so that his feeling will not worsen. But ato didn’t let him go.

            “Kyuhyun passed you to me.” Tao said. “So, why don’t we just do what he said? Let’s enjoy each other.”

            There’s no chance that he will get mad at this man again, so he closed his eyes.

            “I hate you.” He said. “I want to strangle you, you know? Where’s your neck?”

            “I’m sorry.”

            Baekhyun clicked his tongue. Then he sighed, and opened his eyes. And there it was again, Tao’s beautiful handsome face he just couldn’t get himself to hate for real.

            And the worse thing is his heart is also messing with everything. Because he shouldn’t feel this way, especially he knows that it’s Minho that he likes. He couldn’t be… liking this guy. Darn it! But if he just likes this guy in front of him, his heart will never beat like this. Nor he will never feel happiness like this.

            It was the weirdest feeling he had ever felt. He had seen all of the people how they fell in love, and it’s a huge problem. Baekhyun stilled. Wait, when did love become involved in this? He just shook his head. Nah, love was too complicated. He is just fascinated to Tao because despite the handsomeness and the grumpiness of the man, he has a good heart. He was a man full of contradiction. And he doesn’t want contradictions. So, he found Tao fascinating. And another thing, he has Minho. And when the man comes back from Canada, he will confess.

            The song finished and it was replaced by a love song. But instead of Tao bringing him back to his table, he felt Tao’s arms tightening his hold on his body. He looked up.

            “The music is beautiful.” Tao said. “Let’s not waste it.”

            “I—”

            “Dance with me, Baekhyun.”

            Oh darn! His mind shouted. Anyone on their right mind cannot decline to Tao’s offer. Especially if the one who asked is someone as handsome as him. His heart gave up again. And the playing music is mocking him.

            `Been running from these feelings for so long… Telling my heart I didn’t need it… Pretending I was better off alone. But I know that it’s just a lie… So afraid to take a chance again… So afraid of what I feel inside…

            “I hate that song.” Baekhyun complained.

            “Just bear with it.”

            Tao then took him back to his arms, closer this time. He leaned into Tao’s solid strength.

            But I need to be next to you, I need to share every breath with you… I need to know I can see you smiling each morning, looking through your eyes each night, for the rest of my life… here with you, near with you, I… I need to be next to you…

            He needed to be next to him. Darn…

            “Baekhyun, I’m really sorry about what happened.”

            “Hmm.” His face is just leaning on Tao’s chest.”

            “I didn’t mean to you know… hurt your feelings in some way.”

            “Hmm.”

            “And I hope… you won’t get too close to Kyuhyun again. We all know how troublesome that man is. Together with Heechul. It’s better to stay away from any frenzy.”

            “Okay.” Baekhyun took a deep sigh. Why is he feeling so good just being in Tao’s arms?

            His mind is still going bananas. But when he’s in Tao’s arms, it seems like everything was back in order. It was like… the hell with the world! It really felt good to be in is arms.

            “You’re forgiven, Tao. But if you do that again, I will ask my Sungmin hyung to give you a karate chop.”

            Tao chuckled. “Okay.”

            “Hmm.” Baekhyun smiled as he closed his eyes. “I like that music.”

            “I’m starting to like it myself.”

            Baekhyun was enjoying the wonderful feeling caused by being wrapped in Tao’s arms when the music suddenly stopped. After that, he heard a noise. That’s when he suddenly woke up from his dream-like state. He immediately distanced himself from Tao. He can feel his cheeks are hot that’s why he can’t look at Tao. Good thing that there was a small commotion at the stage so he was distracted form his feelings right now. But he was fully aware if the man beside him.

            He saw Kyuhyun standing and looking up at the stage. In front of him is a woman that is sitting at the back of the drum set.

            “What the heck was that for?” Kyuhyun asked angrily.

            “Nothing. I just felt like it. Why, do you have any problem with that?”

            “Woah.” Baekhyun muttered. “Someone sassed on Kyuhyun.”

            “He’s doomed.” Tao said. “It looks like he found his match.”

            “I like her already. Especially how she makes Kyuhyun’s life miserable.”

            “You’re mean.”

            “Well, just a little bit.” Baekhyun looked at Tao. He was smiling at him. He felt that if ever his own heart has its own legs, maybe it kneeled in front of Tao. He was really in love with that smile of his.

            “Friends?”

            “Huh?” Baekhyun looked at Tao’s outstretched hand. “Ah… okay. Friends it is. It’s just easy. Whew!”

            He accepted Tao’s hand. Like how he accepted the fact that he has feelings for Tao. I’m doomed.

 

-----------------------------

Annyeong guys! I'm so sorry for not updating this for two weeks. Anyway, we're halfway this story! 5 chapters left. And if you want to check the song mentioned in this chapter, you can listen to it by clicking this. The song is called Need To Be Next To You by Leigh Nash. The song is pretty old but it's nice! And of course, Kyuhyun and Victoria appearing. They appeared on Minseok and Luhan's story and if you have read it, you might know the root cause of their nonstop bickering. Thank you so much for being patient, guys. Saranghae! :)