Chapter 2

Simply Meant To Be

            “I heard what happened.”

            Baekhyun just sighed while leaning on the counter of Jonglyu Souvenir Shop inside the Exo Riding Club. His friend, Jonghyun is busy sorting the newly bought products for his shop.

            “You’re a little sly, aren’t you, Baekhyun?”

            “Hey, I was just trying things out. I just want to increase the income of my shop. That’s what great businessmen do, right? Don’t tell me you won’t do the same thing for your shop?”

            “Of course, I will do the same. I’m a businessman too. But then, I won’t hide that plan to my business partner. Especially to my friend.”

            Baekhyun groaned. “I’m sorry Jonghyun. I just want to prove something to myself.”

            “I know. I’ve been there before. And because I understand you, I will forgive you. But next time, make sure that you will tell me your plans for your Jonglyu shop outside the club.” Jonghyun jokingly smacked him with a bunch of carnations. “And to help you with your madness,” Jonghyun pulled out a paper from the drawer. “Siwon approved of my proposal to export products to other branches of Jonglyu! Now we can sell products that can be just bought here exclusively. Thanks to Tiffany!”

            Jonghyun is talking about Siwon’s wife. Maybe Jonghyun asked help from her to approve exporting exclusive products from his shop inside the club to other branches outside the Exo Riding Club.

            “So, you don’t have to secretly bring products outside, okay? We’re partners, you know.”

            Baekhyun knotted his forehead. “Who are you? What did you do to Jonghyun? Bring out my friend—”

            “Hey!” Jonghyun jokingly smacked him with the poor flower for the second time. “Why? Can’t I change?”

            “So, you finally admit that you are evil before?”

            “No. Well… a bit. And thanks to Key, he changed me” Jonghyun laughed. “Gosh! I’m so lucky. My husband is so handsome. Aren’t you envious?”

            “Why will I get envious? You’re crazy. I don’t want to be crazy like you.”

            “Nah. It’s okay if the cause of your craziness is love.”

            “You’re so corny! What if I slap your face?”

            “Why? Is there anything that can be slapped besides the face?”

            “Yes. Come here so I can slap your ears.” Baekhyun laughed while he threw a flower to Jonghyun. “But kidding aside, do you think Tao will report me to Siwon for what I did?”

            “Oh, come on. Huang Zitao is too stiff and too cold to care for the world around him. Even if you had a seizure in front of him, he will never look at you. His mind is also flying somewhere else so don’t worry. You will just waste your effort.” Jonghyun makes his way to the flower displays when he remembered something. “Wait, what is Tao doing to your shop? Did he buy his pictures too?”

            “You’re crazy! No, he did not. Uh…” Baekhyun thinks for a second. “Maybe he just passed by. He saw my cuteness so he came inside the shop.”

            “Really? Maybe you will get hit by lightning with what you’re saying.” Jonghyun continued fixing the fresh flowers. “But it’s a bit weird isn’t it? A snob like Tao set his foot in an public establishment. Because every time I see that one, he looks like a British royalty that’s walking on the land of the commoners.”

            “You’re exaggerating.”

            “It’s true isn’t it? It seems like he has a prop on his chin that’s why he can’t get to bow his head once in a while.”

            “You have a point.” But Baekhyun can’t get his mind off the fact that Tao might report him to Siwon. Even if Jonghyun assured him that Tao doesn’t have a time on petty problems like this.

            “If you really want to be at peace, go to Tao and talk to him.” Jonghyun said. “Ask him straight on his face. ‘Hey, you. Did you report me to Siwon?’ If he said ‘yes,’ tell him that you hate him then slap his ear.”

            Baekhyun just laughed at Jonghyun’s suggestion. But he will follow the most sensible thing that he said. He will talk to Tao. It’s better that his soul shall be in peace than being paranoid like this. No, it can’t be.

            He looked at the door of Jonglyu when he heard the bell ring. Jonghyun greeted the woman.

            “Im Yoona, right?”

            “You still remembered me?”

            “Of course. The only woman who is immuned to Heechul’s charms.”

            Baekhyun got curious. “Hi, I’m Byun Baekhyun—”

            “Sungmin’s cousin.” The woman looked at him. “Hello.”

            Baekhyun grasped for the woman’s outstretched hand. “Uh… you know me?”

            “Not really. I just saw you the first time I went here at the Exo Riding Club.”       

            “She’s a model too, Baek. She works with Key. I get to know her when they had their photo shoot here for some brand.”

            Yoona adjusted her eyeglasses and picked up a bouquet and placed it on the counter. “How much is this?”

            Jonghyun tells the price of the flowers. “Will you put it under Heechul’s tab or will you pay for it?”

            “Put it on Heechul’s tab? I can do that?”

            “You’re Heechul’s girlfriend, right? So there’s no problem.”

            It seems like Yoona brightened up because of that. She’s pretty despite her eyeglasses and clothing that is out of place. Her hair is long and just tied haphazardly. If Jonghyun didn’t mention that she is a model, Baekhyun will look at her as a nerd.

            “Thanks, Jonghyun. Please arrange it so I can give this to Sunny for her engagement.”

            “When’s the engagement party for Sunny and Sungmin?”

            “Two days from now. Sungmin is busy preparing for his surprise to her.”

            “That’s sweet. You’re friends with Sunny?”

            “Yes.”

            “Baekhyun, you are the one that doesn’t have any partner here. If I were you, I will get envious.”

            “You’re wrong. I have a partner, Minho.”

            “Minho? He went to Canada. So for you to be not out of place, go to Tao. Don’t chase someone who doesn’t want to be chased.”

            “Tao is not my type. He looks like he can kill me in my sleep.”

             “But he’s handsome. Just wield a knife when you’re with him.” Jonghyun and Yoona laughed.

            Baekhyun stood up, placed a hand on his waist and faced Jonghyun. “Why are you pushing me to Tao? I have Minho and that’s the truth that you have to accept.”

            “Minho’s in love—”

            “With me.”

            “With Krystal.”

            “Who’s Krystal? We don’t even know her. But you know me, okay? So why don’t you focus on me and let me be happy.”

            “You will be happy with someone else.” Then Jonghyun faced Yoona. “So, when will Heechul and you announce your engagement?”

            “Heechul doesn’t even know I’m here.” Yoona picked up the arranged flowers and paid for it. “He doesn’t know who I am.” Then with a curt smile and a nod, Yoona walked out of the shop. He and Jonghyun are left gawking at her.

            “People here are so weird.” Jonghyun said.

            “Yeah, just like you.” Baekhyun said and stood up. “I’ll go find Tao and talk to him.”

            “Good luck.”

-----------------------------

            Baekhyun spotted Tao walking towards the clubhouse. He’s walking alone. Good timing.

            “Hi, Tao!”

            He glanced at him, and then continued walking. Baekhyun didn’t give up. He chased Tao but he didn’t walk beside him. He just stayed behind him so that Tao won’t get tired of his face.

            “Why are you walking alone?” Baekhyun continued. “Are you not afraid of getting suddenly grabbed by women or men who like you?

            “What do you want?” Tao asked but kept walking.

            “Nothing. I just thought that…” Baekhyun can’t help but look at Tao. He looks really good wearing the riding uniform of the club. “The truth is, I just want to thank you for not reporting to Siwon about… you know.”

            “Siwon would have found out anyway. That’s why I don’t need to waste my time in nonsense things. It’s not my style.”

            “I agree. Good thing it’s not your style—”

            “But if I learn that you are selling my pictures again, I’ll have you arrested in no time. Even the people in Exo Riding Club cannot save you.”

            “Don’t be like that. It doesn’t suit you. And I don’t have any plans on selling your picture.”

            “I know what I heard, Baekhyun.”

            “I’m a businessman, so it’s natural that I find ways on how I can earn more. And I admit, I’m tempted to sell your picture because the offer is high.” Baekhyun looked down and followed Tao’s footprints. “But I changed my mind, I swear. I was about to return the check if you haven’t get to it first.”

            “Really.”

            “Yes. You can ask my… customers if you like.”

            “Who are those customers?”

            “Them.” Baekhyun can’t give names because Tao might discover that he’s lying. It’s the reversed thing that happened to him. He got bugged by his conscience first then doing a bad thing after. “I’m sorry. I promised that it won’t happen again. Because Jonghyun got mad at me. He’s my partner in business. I’m insane if I repeat that mistake again, right? And I’m smart so I will never do it again—ouch!”

            Baekhyun bumped at Tao’s solid back. He was not looking so he didn’t notice that Tao had stopped walking. He rubbed his forehead and looked up. But his nodded forehead is gone when he saw Tao’s handsome face.

            “Did you know that you are one of the most handsome men that I have met?”

            “Thanks. Can you leave me alone now?”

            “Huh? Are we done talking? You haven’t forgiven me yet.”

            “You’re forgiven. Now go.” Then Tao turned his back on him. “This is not the right place for hardheaded people like you.”

            When Tao walked away from him, he just realized where he is now. They have made it to the outdoor stable. The staff at the stable is busy together with the club members in getting their horses. And Tao is right, he shouldn’t be here. Because the people might not notice him and he might get trampled with their horses.

            “Wait, I’ll just take a look at my Minho…” He does not believe Jonghyun that Minho went to Canada. Maybe he is just at the stable together with the other club members before going to Canada.

            “Baekhyun, what the heck are you doing here?” His Sungmin hyung said. His forehead is knotted while looking at him. “You know that non-members of the club are not allowed here especially when the horses are about to go out!

            “I know. But—”

            “Hey, Tao!” It is Kai’s voice. “Could you take your boyfriend somewhere else?”

            Baekhyun looked around. Tao has a boyfriend? He just learned that now.

            “Kai’s talking about you, Baek. Just go somewhere else with Tao. Go before Siwon spots you and ban you from going here at the outdoor stable. There’s too many horses here. You might get hurt.”

            “I’m not Tao’s boyfriend!”

            Baekhyun marched away but the running horses still reached him. The members might not notice that he’s still there that’s why they already made their horses run. And because he wasn’t able to walk away that far, he’s covered with dust caused by running horses. He’s coughing nonstop while trying to fan the dust out of his face. But when he opened his eyes, he immediately felt pain. The damn dust gets into his eyes. And it irritated the hell out of him!

            “Hyung!” Baekhyun shouted. He needs help because his eyes hurt. “Hyung!”

            “I’m here. What’s wrong?”

            “Even if his eyes are closed, he knows that voice. “Tao? There’s dust in my eyes. My left eye hurts.”

            “Okay, can you open your eyes?”

            “No.” Baekhyun opened his left eye using his fingers. “Blow on it.”

            Tao tries to blow on his irritated eye but when he tries it for the third time, nothing happened. Baekhyun wants to cry because his eye really hurts.

            “What shall we do? I don’t want to get blind!”

            “Don’t shout.”

            “Then do something!”

            “All right.”

            Baekhyun felt that his feet were being lifted off the ground. After a while, he’s riding a—

            “I’m taking you to my house. It’s just near. Hold on tight.”

            “What—”

            It’s too late to protest because he felt someone sat behind him. Baekhyun opened his uninjured eye once again and he realized he was atop a horse. Tao’s horse.

            What the—

 

-----------------------------

Too many otps in one chapter. Jonghyun and Key, Siwon and Tiffany, Heechul and Yoona, Sungmin and Sunny, and Minho and Krystal. :) Many SM artists will make their appearance in the future ;) Thank you so much for commenting, subscribing and upvoting. And oh, HAPPY KRISYEOL MONTH!!! 🎊 🎉