Chapter 7

Simply Meant To Be

            “What happened to your mom?”

            Baekhyun and Tao are seated at one of the benches in the hospital’s garden. Beside them was the bouquet of flowers that they just bought. He is busy munching on his ice cream cone.

            “Well, she died.”

            “Baekhyun.”

            Baekhyun just smiled. The saddest part of his life happened many years ago. And all throughout the course of his life, he had learned to accept everything that was happening to him. That is what his father taught him. If he lets the pain be with him all the time, his happiness will be limited. He will not enjoy his life to the fullest. And he was very young to lead a gloomy life. He believes that it will make him look old. And ugly. Who’s in the right mind would like to look old and ugly at the age of twenty? Obviously not him. That’s why he’s good-looking at the age of twenty-eight.

            “My mom was involved in a car accident. She was able to be brought at a hospital but because of her injuries, the doctors said that she might not make it. I didn’t leave her side when she was fighting for her life. I was hoping that she will recover soon. But nothing happened. I saw her sufferings. Until I cannot take what I was seeing. I went away and never came back to the hospital. I went to my grandparents and they always ask me to visit my mom at the hospital because she was always asking for me. I always refused. Until I learned that she passed away.”

            “What did you do?”

            “Of course, what will a child do if he lost his mother? I cried a lot. I regretted my decision before because I wasn’t able to fulfill Mom’s wish, when all she wanted was to see her son. I know… she died with a heavy heart.” Baekhyun felt something clogged his throat so he cleared it. “Anyway, that was a long time ago. I was able to accept Mom’s death eventually. I was also able to accept what my dad said that Mom probably understands what I’ve been through so she’s able to forgive me, for sure.”

            “But did you ever…forgive yourself?”

            “I had to. If not, I will be the one who will be in difficult situation. But I promised to myself that if something like that happens again, I will never be afraid to face it.”

            “Is that why you decided to go to your godson despite if your trauma before?”

            “I am brave. I know that I can do it.” Baekhyun finished the remaining ice cream. “I just need a little help at that time.”

            “In other words, me.”

            “Ah, I forgot to thank you.” He threw a paper napkin at the nearest trash bin. “I just wanted to see Minwoo. Have I told you that he’s my first godchild?”

            “Not yet.”

            Baekhyun leaned on the bench and looked at the flowers of the cherry blossom tree beside them. “I became his godfather the time when I am grieving my Mom’s death. Whenever I’m sad, I’ll just go to Minwoo and my sadness will be instantly done because he is such a cute child. He helped me out during my miserable years. This time, I want to help him as much as I can.” Baekhyun smiled to himself. “Did you know I remember my childhood in him? He’s vibrant, talkative, hyper, smart, multitalented, good, cute.”

            “Go on, add some more. It seems like your descriptions are not yet enough.”

            Baekhyun can feel Tao’s teasing him. “Don’t be jealous, Tao.”

            “Because of what you have said, it seems like I want to laugh instead of feeling sorry for your godson.”

            “Minwoo is like me.”

            “That’s why I want to feel sorry for the world. Imagine, there is someone like you.”

            Baekhyun lets his hair be swayed by the wind. His hair is as messy as his feelings right now.

            “That’s why… I want Minwoo to experience what I’m experiencing right now. He’s like me so he should also have a chance to live longer. To live his life to the fullest. It’s so unfair if he will be gone in this world. He’s too young to—”

            “Life is really unfair.”

            Yes. Sometimes, the world is unfair. And the worse thing is that people cannot do anything to change it.

            “Tao?”

            “Yeah?”

            “Is that dangerous? That brain tumor? I mean, it has not yet developed into a cancer cell so I thought…”

            “It depends on the location of the tumor.”

            “Can it still be cured?”

            “Minwoo’s doctor can only answer that question.”

            “What about you, what can you say about his condition? Will he make it?”

            “I’m not her doctor.”

            “If that’s the case, can you check Minwoo’s condition? You’re a brain surgeon, right? You are an expert—”

             “I’m not his doctor, Baekhyun. I can’t just interfere with his doctor.”

            “But based on your experience, is there a huge possibility that Minwoo will recover?” Baekhyun fully turned to Tao. “Huh? Will he survive, Tao?”

            It took a while before Tao finally answered. “I don’t know. I’m not in the position to say anything about it.”

            Baekhyun’s disappointed with what he heard. Since he learned about Minwoo’s condition, he tried to learn everything about Tao being a celebrated surgeon in the US. If he says yes, maybe he can save Minwoo. But the case is, it seems like he doesn’t have any plans on returning to his profession.

            “I know some of the best doctors.” Tao said. “I’ll contact them for Minwoo’s case.”

            “How about you? Can’t you handle Minwoo’s case?”

            “I’m sorry.”

            Baekhyun sighed. “Don’t worry, I just tried my luck. Thank you for your help” He reached for the flowers. “And thank you for this.”

            “That’s not for you.”

            “I know.” This guy starts being grumpy again. He plucked a piece of rose and offered it to Tao. The guy just looked at him. “Red rose for the, ah… you.”

            “I don’t need it.”

            “You don’t like this? I’ll eat this if you won’t accept it.” Tao didn’t even bat an eyelash. And Baekhyun doesn’t have any plans on giving up. “If bubbles come out of my mouth, just bring me to the emergency room.”

            Baekhyun already bit the flower but Tao didn’t even move an inch to stop him. What a heartless and yet handsome man.

            “If bubbles come out of your mouth, I will bring you to the psychiatric ward.” Tao said and then wrapped his arm around his shoulders then removed the petals that he chewed. “You’re really crazy, Baekhyun.”

            When Baekhyun tried to distance himself away from Tao because he was surprised, Tao didn’t let him go. Like how he didn’t let him go when they dance in his Sungmin hyung’s engagement party. And just like that day, he finds himself enjoying Tao’s company.

            And I love you too! Baekhyun easily admitted his feelings to Tao. Especially when he felt that the young surgeon was caressing his cheek. It was just a mere brush, maybe Tao even wanted him to think it was an accident, but Baekhyun had his own opinion about it.

            Tao liked him.

            Nice.

-----------------------------

            “Ready?”

            Baekhyun just nodded to Tao. At that moment, they are in the front of the room of his godchild. He holds the flowers tightly when Tao knocked on the door and slowly opened it.

            “Wait—”

            “Get in.” Tao was able to push him inside before he can even protest. And because Tao was behind him, he crashed on his sturdy chest when he tried to take a step back. “I’m here, Baekhyun. Don’t be afraid.”

            Baekhyun looked up to Tao. And when he saw that handsome face, his uneasiness was gone in an instant. Yeah, he could trust Tao. And he would be by his side, or behind him, no matter what.

            “I need strength.” Baekhyun placed his hands on Tao’s face. “I can do this! Fighting!”

            Baekhyun faced his fear for the second time. He saw Minwoo sleeping on his bed. He can’t see the boy’s mom. Maybe she was in the bathroom when he heard the toilet flush.

            Baekhyun sighed for the nth time when he felt Tao’s hands on his shoulder.

            “You can do it.” Tao whispered.

            For the life of him, he wasn’t expecting, especially for someone like Tao that his lips will touch his cheek. Tao kissed him! Baekhyun looked at him, shocked.

            “I was just getting back at what you have done.” Tao said casually. “Be thankful that I have just kissed you there.”

            Oh damn.

            “Baekhyun?” Chaeyoung said, Minwoo’s mother. “What are you doing there? Please come in.”

            Baekhyun walked like a robot, with Tao pushing him towards the couch near the bed.

            “Are you two been here for a while?” Chaeyoung asked. “I’m sorry if I wasn’t able to notice your arrival… Baekhyun? Are you okay? Your face is really red.”

            He automatically touched his face. And because he is still carrying the flower, he loudly gasped when it hit his face. He silently cursed.

            “Let me.” Tao gets the flower form him and gave it to Chaeyoung. “Baekhyun worked hard to… bring it here.”

            “Oh, thank you.” Chaeyoung replaced the flowers from the vase with the fresh ones that they bought. “Minwoo keeps on asking me when his favorite hyung will will visit. Thank you for visiting, Baekhyun. As well as your boyfriend.”

            “Huh?”

            “I really thought that you don’t have any plans on marrying someone. You are so dedicated in your work.”

            “Ah, he’s not my boy—” Baekhyun wasn’t able to disagree with Chaeyoung when Minwoo woke up. “Hello there, buddy! How’s the cutest boy in this world? Next to me, of course.”

            “Hyung…” Minwoo’s gazed past him. “Who is this handsome man beside you, hyung? Your boyfriend?”

            Tao was sitting on the couch when Baekhyun looked at him. He felt his face become hot when their gazes matched that’s why he looked back at Minwoo.

            “He’s not my boyfriend. Uh… we’re just friends, you know?”

            “No? It’s such a waste, hyung. If you don’t take him as a boyfriend then I will!”

            Baekhyun cringed at Minwoo’s words. “Hey, I’m reminding you that you are just seven years old. You shouldn’t talk like that.”

            “Hyung, you taught me so I should do it, right?”

            “I…taught that to you?”

            “You did say he is like you in so many ways.” Tao said.

            Baekhyun is still not looking at Tao. He fanned his face that still feels hot.

            “Hyung, he’s your crush, right? It’s obvious.” Minwoo touched his face. “Your face is so red.”

            “You’re just seven years old.” Baekhyun emphasized because he can’t say anything. His godson was too bright for his own good. In other words, he’s doomed. “Anyway, how are you feeling? Are you hurt or something?”

            “Nothing hurts as of this moment. But I know that my headache will be back soon. So I will just follow Mom and stay with her here.”

            “Your Mom’s right. It’s better that you stay here while Tao is still finding…” Baekhyun bit his lip. Minwoo doesn’t have to know his condition. Not now. “While the doctors say that you can’t go home yet.”

            “Okay, hyung. Thanks for coming here. And for bringing your boyfriend as well.”

            “He’s not my…” Fine, he will just let the boy. “You’re welcome. Don’t worry we will visit you again. Just rest well so that you will be fine in no time, okay?”

            “Hyung, when you two get married I’ll be the ringbearer, okay?” Minwoo gets something from under his pillow and gave it to Baekhyun. “I have decided to become a painter, hyung. And you are my second painting. Because Mommy and Daddy are my first.”

            He was overwhelmed with so many pencil in that paper. “Is this how you see me, Minwoo? A rat?”

            “Hyung, it’s an armadillo. When it’s threatened, it will wrap itself on its hard coat.”

            “I am an… armadillo?”

            “Yes.”

            “Thanks.”

            Baekhyun chatted with them for a while before he said goodbye. All the while, Tao was just silently watching them. When they exited the room, Baekhyun leaned against the door and looked at Minwoo’s “painting”.

            “That’s a nice… rat.”

            Baekhyun ignored Tao’s teasing. He’s busy holding his tears.

            “He wants to become a painter.” Baekhyun mumbled. He felt a few drops of tears fell on his cheeks. “And I’m not a rat. It’s an armadillo, okay? It’s a cool animal.” He put a hand on his waist, and wiped his tears. “I told you I’m weak in these kinds of situation.”

            “At least you saw Minwoo.”

            “Yeah.” His tears continue to fall. He slapped Tao’s arm. “It’s your fault! You didn’t let me go back when I still can.”

            Tao didn’t say anything. He just moved to safely wrap him in his arms. Baekhyun didn’t say no either. He just let himself be hugged by Tao. He needed a hug. He needed someone to tell him he did well—facing his fears. He needed someone’s strength he could cling on to because he felt so drained of his own strength. And Tao’s hug gave him all he wanted at that moment.

            “You did fine.” Tao said.

            Ah, no wonder he fell for him.

            “Of course.” Baekhyun finally wrapped his arm around Tao. “Thank you.”

-----------------------------

Anneyong guys! I'm so sorry for not updating this fiction lately. So many things have happened this past few weeks. One of which is the EXOluXion in Manila last January 23. That day, I have seen how glorious and divine the boys are. Yixing was not able to make it to the concert but it was fun nonetheless. I was pretty near the stage so everything was almost in HD. Let me share some of the pictures that I took.

This is the stage, it occupied the whole floor of the Arena.

tumblr_o1rteifVk41qg7ahio1_1280.jpg

Silver ocean by Phixo (Baekhyun gave PH Exo-Ls an official name lol)

tumblr_o1rteifVk41qg7ahio2_1280.jpg

This banner that Suho is holding was distributed by EXO Philippines as part of their fan project. Suho was performing when he noticed this banner and took it from a fan. That girl is so lucky >.<

tumblr_o1rteifVk41qg7ahio3_1280.jpg

The boys are performing Love Me Right. They are only six here because Minseok and Jongin are seated at the other end of the stage. Poor boys weren't able to perform because of their injuries :(

tumblr_o1rteifVk41qg7ahio6_1280.jpg

Baekhyunnie ❤️‍tumblr_o1rteifVk41qg7ahio5_1280.jpg

And last but not the least, Sehunnie. Kris and Chanyeol are my ultimate bias but the moment I saw this kid, he instantly snatched my heart. My heart is still with him. I don't have time to go to Korea so I can't have my heart back yet. Just kidding! :Ptumblr_o1rteifVk41qg7ahio4_1280.jpg

Okay, enough of this. So this story has only 3 chapters left :(. When I'm finished with this one, I'll post my ing/LayHun fic. Thank you so much! :)