Stolen: Part II

TaeNy in a Nutshell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(By request -- Stolen: Part II)

"I think she's cute."

The older woman burst out in laughter, struggling to keep her briefcase on her lap. I flushed in embarrassment. "W-What are you laughing for?"

"Oh, god. My sides. Don't make me laugh so hard, I just ate." Jessica snickered, picking up the jewelry on the floor. "Jesus, Tiffany. Are you talking about that nerdy, broke college student we helped out a few days ago?"

"Taeyeon." I whispered, leaning outside the window. "She's nice. I think she deserved it."

"Now now, remember? We rob strangers for a reason." Jessica dramatically pauses, jabbing her finger on her friend's chest. "No. Emotional. Attachment. No. Guilty. Feelings."

"We didn't even rob her.." I mumbled again.

Jessica scoffed. "Just let it go. You did your good deed of the year. Now, have you heard of the Branwen Mansions..?"

X X X

Jessica was right. She was the unofficial leader of our little thieves guild, and for good reason. The Ice Princess had no concern for people, and in our line of work, its a necessary attitude to have.

But I still couldn't stop thinking about that girl. She looked so..broken. And I know what that looks like. I see it all the time in my reflections.

Was what I did really the right thing? Is it still a good deed if I'm a bad person?

I took advantage of people's selfish, materialistic desire they accumulate unnecessarily due to their concern regarding their social standing in society. But I was certainly no hero.

So why?

Why was I in front of her house, again?

I snuck in through the window. In the corner of the small room, there was a dying, flickering light that danced with the window's breeze. I walked over, carefully plotting each and every step, before leaning down to blow candle dead. Then, I heard a slight snore.

I blinked, shifting my body for natural light to come in through the window.

The girl rested her head against her crossed arms, half of her face buried in sleep. I saw her pretty, long eyelashes, her gentle round cheeks, and her loosely tied up hair.

. Am I being creepy?

...

...

. She's hella cute.

I looked at the pink clock I installed in her room the last time I saw her, and carefully saw the edges of numbers indicating that it was nearly one in the morning. I took a step back, cursing when I hear something being knocked over. She stirs in her sleep, groaning a little bit. Then she shivers.

Carefully dropping the grocery bag beside her, I snuck my way onto her bed where her black blanket was. I picked it up, then wrapped it around the cold girl. I looked up, glaring at the broken window, mentally taking note to fix it later -- when I feel a pair of hands on my feet.

I nearly screamed, only because of how cold her palms felt, but when she gently squeezed my ankle, I relaxed.

"Holy , you scared me." I whispered harshly.

She pauses. "What...What are you doing in my house again?"

. Now I need a good excuse.

"I..uh..was..I was in the hood and I thought I'd drop by some food for you." I gently kicked the bag next to me, trying to lure her attention away from the real issue that I was breaking into her house again.

Her eyes stare at me unsurely, then she shakes her head, pinching her arm. "Am I dreaming?"

"No." I lean down, making myself comfortable. I regret blowing the candle light away. I can barely see a thing. "Do you have any lights in here?"

She coughed, squeezing her blanket. "I couldn't pay the electricity bill this month. I didn't have money."

", Taeyeon. You shouldn't be livin' like this. Why the .......you don't deserve this."

"Uhm, thanks. But, again, why are you in my house?" There's a small angle of sadness in her tone of voice. "Did you..come back to take back what you gave me?"

"What makes you say that?"

"I just..don't think I deserve any of this."

"Shut the up."

Finally, her brown eyes meet mine. "God, you're so pathetic. Have some respect for yourself. No. Whatever you have in this room is yours now, I promise. I'm really only here to give you this." I point at the grocery bag, opening it up with my foot. "Some food."

"..I.."

"Don't say anything." I shove a sandwich into her hands. "Just eat."

X X X

That wasn't the last time I made an appearance at her house, with or without her permission. Suddenly, I was thinking about someone. I was stealing for someone. Every time I snuck into another rich person's house, I'd see a piece of furniture and think, "That Taeyeon girl would love this."

Every time I ate good food, I wondered, "Did she eat today?"

Even in the comforts of my warm, soft bed, I'd think, "Is she cold tonight?"

There was a recent shooting in her neighborhood, and I couldn't sleep knowing anyone could sneak in her window or barge through her front door. So I took my car and parked across the street from her house. I tilted the drivers seat back and slept in the car, hoping, that if anything happened, I could somehow protect her.

I didn't stay up for long. The sun's rising sunshine began to seep into my windows as I tossed and turned away from the blinding light. There's a small, almost inaudible knock on my window. I pry one eye open, seeing myself face-to-fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter