To the Prince of March 13

TaeNy in a Nutshell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi there! If you're a new reader, this chapter was originally Chapter 81. All the stories here are one-shots, with a few arcs. But in the next few chapters, there's a longer, orderly, comedy story. Please enjoy and read the author's note at the end :)

"To the Prince of March 13"

 

Princess Tiffany visits the Kingdom of Juno to meet the Prince she is destined to marry. However, due to a spell gone wrong, the original Prince falls into a deep slumber. Taking responsibility for it all, the Prince's Royal Advisor, Taeyeon, is forced to mask herself as the Prince and charm the Princess.

 

The princess clenched her jaw and curled her fingers into a fist as the chamberlain continued to speak.

"His Majesty, King Claudio of the Kingdom of Juno salutes the lovely Princess Tiffany Hwang of Altissia and bids her to fulfill her sworn duty as daughter of King Alduin," She closed her eyes and bit back the need to sigh. "--to marry the heir to the Junoian throne, Prince Lars vi Juno and strengthen the goodwill between the two Kingdoms of Altissia and Juno."

Well, this was certainly not how she expected her 18th birthday to go.

Eighteen years of learning how to be prim and proper had given Tiffany enough strength to hold back her obvious distaste for the news. The woman had managed to reduce her boiling anger into a mere nod and a fake smile as she forced the words out of . "It is an honor and a duty I will proudly promise to keep." She lied.

"Lovely." Her father grinned between bites, completely oblivious to his daughter's true feelings. "I hope it will quell the rivalry that results in the competition of our close borders. That and I've heard news that Lars is a charming man. He's around your age, Tiffany." Wasting no time for a response, he turns around and orders the chamberlain to issue a response. Then, he asked Tiffany for a calendar.

"When did you want to leave for Juno, my daughter?"

Tiffany shrugs, then remembering it was considered disrespectful, she fixes her posture and thought ahead. "I heard that Juno holds a grand festival every spring. March, was it? To celebrate when their Kingdom first formed?"

"March 13, dear." Her mother chimed in.

She sighs, staring at the summer sun outside. "March it is."

X X X

Taeyeon hated her job.

Sure, perhaps there was another country bumpkin out there who'd rather willow in the shadows of the obnoxious Prince than she does for a new reality; after all, her official title : "Kim Taeyeon, Royal Advisor to the Junoian Prince." sounded absolutely phenomenal, but her duties were no more than babysitting a cranky, spoiled, young Prince.

Prince Lars vi Juno was a mess.

All stories and rumors of his charming, handsome demeanor thought to have been passed down from the true King Claudio were thrown out of the windows once his unhealthy body rolled into the center, gathering attention for all the wrong reasons.

He lacked patience, rarely listened, demanded and threatened for the most part, and had no proper mannerisms. There was an unofficial nickname labeled to his name, unfortunately so. Prince Lars the Disappointment.

There were only four persons in the world that the Prince had respect for, even if just a little amount -- His parents, the Princess, and Taeyeon.

When news that Princess Tiffany was making a journey to their kingdom for marriage, Taeyeon thought of two things.

Poor Tiffany.

Good on Lars.

She certainly didn't expect herself to be in the middle of it, however.

X X X

"My Prince," Taeyeon bowed slightly. "Another slice, perhaps?"

Prince Lars looked up, angry but not at the woman. With a quick wave of his hand, the servants filed into one line and sped out the room. Ever since hearing the news that the Princess was coming, Lars barely ate, always looking at his stomach in shame.

He knew he was not handsome nor fit. He heard it, he saw it, and felt it. He'd even gone so far as to order all mirrors in his room to be hidden or taken away.

Taeyeon sighed, shifting into a more casual state. She had a duty and an act to keep as his Royal Advisor, and only when she knew when they were truly alone would she break the formalities. "Lars, we shouldn't be wasting food."

"I know." He hissed, then relaxed when he realized his tone was harsher than he intended. "Approximately how many days until she arrives?"

"One full week." She said automatically.

"Do you think I will be ideal by then?" A deadly question to ask a servant.

Taeyeon closed her eyes and began to count. Sure, they'd been close since children, but that didn't protect him from his occasional rampage. "Yes, my Prince." Then continued, "No, Lars."

"Which answer is it?"

"Whichever you want it to be."

He sighs, then once again, waves his hand. "Taeyeon, make sure no one is outside listening to our conversation. Check every corner, drawer, closet, bed, whatever. What I say in this room, stays in this room, do you hear?"

Without wasting a second, she quickly scans and clears out the room, peeking her head outside to find a comfortably, empty hallway. Then she shuts it behind her, lights a candle, and leans in.

He said one simple sentence, a beginning of what started this whacky story.

"Taeyeon, do you believe in magic?"

X X X

The fanfare in this new Kingdom was something the Princess was not use to.

The moment her beautiful, royal carriage rolled into the countryside boundaries their Kingdoms shared, she'd been showered with endless love and praise from all the Junoian citizens. She certainly hadn't expected her fame to spread this far out.

She was excited, moreover the fact she was finally allowed to venture outside of her own Kingdom, but not so much due to the circumstances  revolving around marriage.

To think she'd be wed so early to a man she'd never met or seen before made her mad.

Tiffany had heard stories and tales of the highly praised King Claudio, but it wasn't the same for his son. She'd met the King when she was just a child, but remembered no more than his large beard and green eyes.

All she could hope was two things. One, that the Prince was ever charming as the tales and songs make out to be, or Two, she'd act as a huge disappointment and hopefully become enough of a nuisance to rear the Prince's opinion away regarding the marriage.

She'd weigh her options upon meeting the man eventually.

The princess and her royal retinue arrived a strike away before midnight, exhausting themselves fully as they quietly mingled into the castle. The Queen had stayed awake, showcasing and welcoming them but holding off the grand tour until tomorrow started. She was escorted into the finest guest room the castle had to offer with a small meal to ease the day away.

However, the anticipation kept the sleepy princess awake.

Would Prince Lars really be everything she could hope for? How could her father sign her up for this wedding without so much asking his daughter for her opinion? She was angry, excited, but more anxious than anything. Chugging down soft liquor in an attempt to relax to herself, all the princess merely felt was the strong need to urinate.

Unfamiliar with the castle's layout however, she mingled in the hallways for a while, bumping into artifacts and other people.

With the urge growing stronger, she decided to approach a servant directly and ask for directions. At first, she almost missed her, with her back against the wall, eyes closed, and head tilted as if she was sleeping upright in the shadows, she'd almost mistaken her for a mannequin.

"Excuse me." Tiffany gently spoke, her voice flaring up the sleepy woman. "Huh?"

The two looked at each other in the quiet solitude of the castle's hallways. The woman blinked for a while, then shook her head. "My apologies for drifting asleep."

"Where may I relieve myself?" The princess asked innocently.

"Ah, just down this hall, a sharp turn to the right."

"Much appreciated."

She left without saying another word and left the woman to ponder.

 

Taeyeon wondered who that beautiful woman was and almost convinced herself the entire thing was a random dream. The advisor had been awake most of the night with the Queen, keeping guard of the comatose Prince.

"I don't understand." Her voice seemed so out of place in the quiet chambers. There, in the luxurious and lovely bed belonging to Prince Lars, was the Prince himself, whom no matter how loud or violent you shook and screamed at him, refused to awaken.

Queen Alisa merely tapped on the bedside table, where a note laid still. She recognized the writing to be the Prince's.

"The..Potion of the Beholder?" Taeyeon read out loud. "A potion said to give the consumer the finest body the strongest man can achieve within the of a few days..The ingredients and directions shall not be trifled with.." She mumbled the rest of the formula out, then merely responded. "..I should have known when his Highness asked if I believed in magic."

"You knew about this?" The Queen responded wide-eyed.

"Not necessarily. I knew he had an intention of doing something, though I didn't understand what." She sighs, feeling oddly responsible for the incident. "So the Prince falls into a deep slumber due to a potion that he created in an attempt to become physically fit to impress the Princess who arrives--" She flicks her eyes to the dim light above, judging the night. "Tomorrow?"

"Today, actually." Queen Alisa replies. "She's already here, sleeping in the guest room."

"Which makes our situation more complicated than it needs to be." They grow silent, but Taeyeon could tell by how the Queen shuffles around that there's more that needs to be said. "Your Majesty, your mind wanders."

She swings and kicks her feet on the ground, standing with a demanding authority. "Kim Taeyeon, you've served my son since you were both a child. Arguably, you know him closer than anyone of us do."

"That is up for debate." She answered bowing her head down.

"And you are loyal to us, are you not?"

"Loyalty passes through all of my bloodlines. Yes, Your Majesty."

"Stand up." She commanded, then put a firm hand on Taeyeon's shoulder. "Recite your title to me."

Taeyeon's lips quivered, though she wasn't necessarily scared. "Daughter of House Kim, a family of royal retainers. I serve as Prince Lars vi Juno's Royal Advisor and close companion."

"Then I ask you as his closest companion." She steps forward, pressing one of Lar's silk robes against her chest. "To keep this a secret between us two, that you shall act as Prince Lars vi Juno, both physically and mentally, to impress the princess and carry on the wedding."

Taeyeon took a heavy step back, nearly falling onto the ground. "With..with what power?" She dared to ask.

"With my power as the Queen." She smiled. "And the power of make-up, of course."

X X X

Tiffany found her lists of things to be amazed of growing. The castle which rivaled even her's, had a darker theme known to the Junoian Kingdom. Their favorite colors were a dark purple clad in a platinum lining. The marble floors reflected beautifully, and she found herself staring at her reflection on the ground often. Mostly due to the odd fact that the castle seemed to harbor no love for mirrors.

"Your Highness?" Someone knocked on the door, bowing before they dared to attempt eye contact. Tiffany turned around gracefully, her white gown floating behind her. "Yes?"

"I am Jung Jessica, your personal for this trip anointed by the Queen herself. It is an honor."

"You may drop the formalities, Jessica." She smiled, hoping to use some of her lively personality to cheer up the gloominess of the castle. "Likewise, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"Whenever you're ready, I'll take you to the main throne room where you shall meet the Prince."

She merely nods, patting her head to ensure the braids were still there. Then, with a heavy step, began to make her way to the throne room.

Jessica makes small talk as she escorted. "The Prince has been very excited to meet you. He hasn't stopped talking about it since your letter came in."

"I hope I can live up to the expectations."

"I think it's the other way around." She snickers before representing herself. "Here we are..and here we go."

With a heavy push, the tall, wooden doors creak open to present and showcase a long room. It looked like a church, almost. The heavy, gold and red throne sat against the wall where three people stood idly waiting. Tiffany stiffened to which Jessica gave a small encouraging smile. 

She took a deep breath and remembered her mannerisms. "Your Majesty." The Princess carefully tips herself forward, bowing as a sign of respect. The Queen delightfully exhibits her excitement and ushers her forward. The King smiles, tapping against his cane for support. "Princess Tiffany! Welcome to my Kingdom. Your beauty is truly remarkable."

And hiding behind the two Royal figures was a quiet, awkward Prince. As Tiffany got closer, they parted ways to reveal him.

The first thing Tiffany noticed was his height.

Standing next to the Royal couple made him seem so tiny, his physique wasn't entirely visible from the thick, black uniform, but Tiffany was more than relieved to know he wasn't heavy as some people described him. He had an innocent look to his face, his jawline fairly sharp, eyes holding an uncertainty but nevertheless welcoming. He was fairly attractive which Tiffany thanked the Gods for.

"Princess Tiffany." His voice was calm and higher pitched than she'd expected. She let her hands forward as he bowed to kiss the top of her hand. "I am Lars vi Juno, it's an absolute honor to meet you."

X X X

Taeyeon wanted to scream. She wanted to scream, rip off her wig, throw it at the Queen, and scream some more.

The Princess was absolutely breathtaking, her white gown made it seem like she was glowing. They served breakfast and despite the luxurious foods she was presented with, Taeyeon could not find an appetite.

How do boys eat? Is it weird if I hold my fork in my left hand? Am I suppose to cut through, oh God, what if she's looking at me? Will she notice I'm not really the Prince? Will the make-up smudge off if I get food on my cheek? Oh God, why did I agree to this?

"My Prince." Tiffany spoke softly. Taeyeon tensed up, subconsciously eyeing the queen for help. "Please feel free to drop the formalities and call me Lars." She tried to smile.

"Lars, is there a particular sport you enjoy doing?"

It was a simple question, but every small detail of trying to lie made her want to vomit. She'd never been that great at lying. Taeyeon took a moment organize her thoughts. The Prince rarely participated in physical activities that wasn't eating, and she herself personally had very little downtime to properly play a sport. Staring at the Wall of Knights behind her, she caught an idea.

"I enjoy..ah, uh, fighting." She shut her eyes. "With..swords! Of course. Often times I come by the Junoian Police Headquarters to survey their training."

"Admirable. Mind you if I tag along to watch?"

.....

"Of course."

ing . Now she expects me to be a top tier fighter.

"I must say, Tiffany, that your presence comes at a beautiful time. Within the season, we are to host a grand celebration to commend the Kingdom's power. I daresay it will be the finest, most beautiful thing you've ever seen. But for the time being, I understand you have the idea of staying for a few weeks?"

"A month at most." She corrected respectfully.

"Plenty of enough time for you two to get along." Queen Alisa smiles, patting her son on the shoulder. "I have not set a schedule for the two of you, I reckon you could handle the touring yourself. The horses and servants are at your disposable, of course. Do me a favor and impress her so that she may never want to return home."

"Yes, Your Maj--" Taeyeon caught herself mid-sentence and hurriedly switched to the word mother instead. Tiffany merely sat across the table, wiping her lips of food.

X X X

"What do you have in store for me today, Lars?"

"Uhhh......." Taeyeon looked around, feeling a bit lost without a sense of duty. Normally she'd be the one following the Prince to whatever he felt like doing. He never liked going outside or socializing, which made Taeyeon very awkward at situations like this. She sighs, fiddling with her jacket. The sun had been out and shining beautifully, with rays of warmth hugging every corner. But Taeyeon didn't dare take off any of her clothes with the mistake Tiffany find out she had feminine features.

They mingled behind a carriage, hiding behind velvet curtains. Taeyeon dawned on an idea for a moment. "I understand Altissia has a beautiful coastline, Juno may not be as impressive, but I'd like to take you to the beach."

The ride wasn't far, they'd cut corners and traveled in the back roads to prevent potential traffic from being seen. It wasn't everyday that the Prince's carriage was on public roads, and Taeyeon was trying to hide her identity for as much as possible.

With that in mind, Taeyeon ordered to be set on the farthest beach possible to avoid any random strangers. They had a few soldiers with them who merely lingered to protect their carriage.

The salty ocean filled their lungs, though it wasn't unpleasant. Tiffany seemed to get along rather easily, taking off her heels and folding the ends of her dress. Though she didn't seem to mind to get down and dirty. Her elegance was replaced with happy, natural smiles from digging into the sand. The sight made Taeyeon calm down a bit.

"My apologies, it's just been so long since I've had time to myself to play as a child on the beach again." Her eyes curved into crescent moons which the Prince found adorably cute.

She leaned down, pulled her sleeves up, and started making tiny forts. Tiffany picked up a stick and began drawing onto the sand, explaining to Taeyeon what it was like at home where two of her dogs patiently waited.

The Princess talked a lot, but Taeyeon didn't mind. She preferred it actually and listened attentively, laughing at some jokes and wild stories. They scouted the shoreline for more bare branches and playfully fought with sticks. Having no actual training however, Taeyeon lamely posed and pretended to strike, Tiffany laughed, countering all of her moves, giving the Prince a slight idea that she was merely toying with her.

They talked about the marriage a little bit, but brushed it away for the time being. They just needed to take it slow and get to know each other first. Somewhere along the beach date, the Prince threw the idea of searching for rocks that matched their eye colors.

Tiffany's eyes were a beautiful shade of light brown

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter