Man with Dead Eyes

Book of Meanie

Man With Dead Eyes

 

“”

Mingyu cursed, he dont care if someone hears him, even if he is wearing his school uniform that brings a prestigious image, he still dont give a damn. All he wanted is the vending machine at the train station would work and give him his favourite chips. He knocked the vending machine, and he keep pressing the buttons. He can’t waste his money for nothing, he is just a simple guy. Even if he got on everyone’s dream school, he still take a public transportation at school and buy on the cheapest food that can somehow satisfy his cravings.

“Stupid ”

He cursed again, when he hears the train is coming and calling everyone to be ready. It cant be help, he totally wasted his money for nothing. He felt his heart broke, for the fact that it was really rare. And the only place he knows that he can purchase it is through the vending machine, it is quite expensive but it gives him ultimate satisfaction.

He walked to the waiting area, still his head was full of curse. The people keep coming, and the spaces become to near. He was used to it, knowing its early in the morning and most people would come going to their designated places. On his left, there was a group of Middle School girls students giggling and gossiping on the shows they have watch last night. He sighed, feeling the students got too much on their conversation making him push into the person in his right. Even if he is a high school student, taller and older than the girls, they were bigger than his size.

“Im Sorry”

He turned right looking at the person at his back. He wished the latter would understand the situation.

“...”

Mingyu felt his soul is stared by the stranger, and he can’t help to notice how dead his eyes were. He admitted, on every person he mets he first thing he notice is how alive their eyes, what sparkle do the eyes give and what message does it want to convey that the person is unable to put into words. But he was failed to see those on this stranger it was just pure black, no life, no sparkle and no message.

He sense the crowd is moving, as the trains door was opening, and he followed.

That man with dead eyes, he named. He seems like a high-class person to be suitable on riding on a public transportation, his clothes explain it and how his skin was taken care of.  But the blankness on his eyes give curiousness on Mingyu, he have never seen those kind of eyes. He could be struggling on some problem, he could be a man with depression or he just dont want his cover blown. Possible. He assures himself, he look back at the guy again trying not to look like a freak with his intrigued stare, he was sitting opposite to him and he could only wonder what this man have been through.

.....

“Good Morning!”

He greeted to the guard, and the man also smiled back. Somehow the man with dead eyes was lost in his sight. But he shrugged, it was always like this every day, and that makes the public transportation ride even more exciting. He got to meet different kind of people every day, he consume his time waiting on deducing one’s life story by their eyes. It was fun deliberating to his inner self, and finds the stories he have collected amusing.

.....

Mingyu mind was wandering how he would start his essay. He was sitting on the bench waiting for the announcement for the train to come. He admits, he was quite early and that gives him more time to think for his 2 pages essay that must be submitted later this afternoon. The assignment was given a week ago but he was lost on the world of movies that certain site recommends him to.

Confident that there are so much time for the essay, he decided to plan out what he will wrote.

He breathes, this place is the best place to think, he thought. Might be opposite to others, but overhearing on random conversation gives him ideas. He look around looking for an inspiration, well no, just an interesting topic to grabble for.

He was surprise to met those blank eyes again, the man with dead eyes. He was wearing a different style suit that he assume that are expensive but he still wonders why he keep on riding a crowded transportation. Surely, he can call a cab.

He breaks the gaze, looking forward, now he finally have a topic to start for his essay.

“The Man with dead eyes”

 

.....

“Mingyu-ah!” He hears the guard call, throwing the pack of chips as he turned back, with his reflex he catches it.

“Whoaa! Is this for me?”

It was his favourite chips, he has been begging for it in the vending machine. And just for a moment its in his hand. His smile grow wider, the best thing is its free.

“Yeah, I know you like it”

“Thank You!”

He hears the bell, he ran waving the guard good bye. It was just an ordinary day, and Mingyu seems not seeing the start of difference on his life.

 

 

 

......

The days went by, and he always caught on the gaze of the man with dead eyes. He smiled, and maybe the latter might get familiar with his face because it has been days since they could see each other. But again he was answered with the cold stare.

Mingyu cant say the man is staring him, as he would caught him staring on the random faces and things. Maybe, he thought, they were the same, they enjoyed talking to one’s inner self.

Also, he keep receiving a pack of his favourite chips from the guard. He finds it weird and he keep asking guard where he got it. And all he could get are pointless answers, but who cares, he got to enjoy his favourite every day.

 

 

 

......

It was late night, and probably the last train for the day. Mingyu felt he was in a different environment, he have never went home this late and he have never been with this hour which almost everyone was so desperate to get inside the train. There were no spaces, and the person on his side was swaying his head, seems like he was falling asleep, and the worst thing is it might land on his shoulders which is kind of awkward. He was trying to move, wishing those movements would make the latter awake but to no avail.

He was surprised to see that it was the man with dead eyes, he look tired. He straighten his back, trying to position himself on his comfortable posture as he felt the latter have finally landed in his shoulders.

He felt his breathing stop, as he knows his shoulders will move. He was panicking inside, thinking what would be the best solution in his problems without violating his sense of conscience.

As Mingyu was trying to think of ways to get the man out of his shoulder, he felt the stranger snuggle on his neck more and his hand which was holding on the bar transferred to his hand, slightly touching his now cold hands.

It was a slightest touch, but Mingyu felt the warmness the man gave. He wasn’t that cold as he expected to, maybe not physically but also in his personality. His mind wanders the image of the man smiling, and that just give his heart another strong beat beyond his comfort.  

If he could just stand up and scream, but he is shy to tell him not to, because maybe he was just exhausted and it still took an hour before the next station. He closes his eyes, trying to get his whole calm. But that was also a calling to him. The punishment was given to him back in school was pretty rough and he felt really exhausted about it. And now their exams are nearing, even if his not the kind of person who garnered high grades, still he need to pass or he’ll get a long piercing speech from his parents.

Its time to take a break just for a few minutes, it’s nice to stop thinking for a while.

 

 

He woke up from the sudden feeling he was alone, and he almost is. As he was the last one to get out on the train. his hands, he cursed.  He was letting the man sleep on his shoulder, even if he knows it will get numb sooner. He just left without waking him up.

 

“Insensitive Man with dead eyes”

 

 

 

 

 

.........

Mingyu’s eyebrows went high when he receive his essay back, seeing how high his grade for his work. His penmanship look so rush because he started doing it during the break, at that time he wish he start working at it ahead, but it was all worth it.

“What is your grade?”

He hear his friend Dino ask, holding his paper, exciting to share the younger’s score he got on essay.

“A+, you?”

“B”

Dino felt dejected; usually he is always got a higher grade than Mingyu, knowing his topic is his ultimate interest. Guess What? You’re right, Michael Jackson.

“Wow! What topic did you chose?”

“Just random stuff, all for the sake of grades”

“What is it about?”

Mingyu folded the paper in half, and put it inside his folder. He have arrange his stuff and few minutes their next teacher will come.

“Just a man with dead eyes I saw in the train”

“Dead eyes? Is he a ghost?”

“No, silly”

He chuckled; it was just a figure of speech. But it could be, that man could be ghost, grim reaper would be nice.

“He has cold stares, and I was saying how I was intrigued on his life story. I was discussing what are his possible feelings and his situation. That’s all”

Dino nodded, contented on Mingyu’s summary of his essay. Dino then went to rummage inside his bag getting the food he is asked to give. Then he throw it on Mingyu’s desk.

“Here”

The bag of chips, usually the guard will give it to him, but today he hasn’t seen him when he pass on the gate.

“Is this from the guard?”

“Yeah, how did you know?”

“He always gives me that every day”

“Why?”

“He said, he always given like that every day and he knows I like it more so yeah”

“Cool”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

......

“ing ”

He knocked the vending machine several times, and he was keep pressing the buttons. Earlier this was working fine, because he seen a woman who bought her drink here.

He hated it, he was so used on receiving free chips everyday and it suddenly stop. And now his day is not complete without the heavenly taste of those chips.

He kicked, why does this machine always eat his money? The world shouldn’t be this complicated; one must receive what he give.

“Here”

There’s a hand giving him chips.

“Thank You”

And its the Man with dead eyes.

“That machine is old so it malfunctions every time”

The stranger smiled, and Mingyu felt he look ridiculous on his reaction. He was surprised and all he did was stare in the man’s face like it was an alien. A beautiful one.

“Im Wonwoo by the way”

For the first time, he have seen this man smile, he have imagining him to smile but it was more beautiful than he ever expected. His eyes, which he thought are dead, has sparkles that he can’t explain of. It was warm, it was welcoming, and it was gorgeous but it was unknown.

“M-Mingyu”

He snapped out in his thoughts and received Wonwoo hand. It was warm and he felt it travels within his body. He smiled, this is the start on knowing more about Wonwoo and not just all his deducing and guessing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.......

Days went by, and the two are inseparable. The two became more comfortable talking about everything and anything. They would always wait for each other in the vending machine on mornings, and in the bench before going home. They also have each number on their phone, they are not contented on their daily talks and keep talking through phone.

It was the last train that day, and Wonwoo waited for Mingyu to arrive. It take longer than it used to, the younger was getting busy since it’s their exam week and they have given lots of projects to pass.

“Hyung!”

Mingyu breathe, he came running. With his hair disarrange and his face with the beads of sweats.

“Sorry”

“It’s okay, c’mon”

 

 

 

 

Luckily the two have grab a seat on the train, it was still a long trip to home, and Wonwoo was all excited to talk things that happen to office today but he felt Mingyu cant keep up. His eyes are tempting to close but he stop, he cant when the older is still talking.

“You could sleep”

He heard Wonwoo said, his voice resonated through his ears and felt a soft bliss to it. He pulled Mingyu’s head to his shoulder. Offering it to be his pillow just for the ride.

“I know you’re tired”

“Thanks hyung”

 

Mingyu nuzzled his head more, and drift to sleep. Being a high school student was quite stressful, knowing he needs to make his grades higher to enter a university he wants for college. The teachers keep pressuring them, and he wishes it all end quickly to stop his sufferings. But this is part of being student, and he will never be used to it.

Wonwoo gave a small smile at a small amount of time, the younger have drifted on a deep sleep. He smells Mingyu’s hair softly, and make the grip of their intertwined hands tighter. He have sneaked on Mingyu’s hand and felt success when the younger didn’t even notice. He was ignoring the prying stares he got from the train, mostly from student girls who have found Mingyu hot. Who would not? He literally hit every checkmarks on every girls checklist, tall, handsome, hot and with great personality.

He snapped out and forget what others thinks. He wanted to enjoy this rare moment. He love the closeness they have right now, they were no words. It just his presence and his warm, and it make his heart flutter.

 

 

 

 

“Let’s go”

Mingyu let Wonwoo drag him out the train; he was still rubbing his eyes and felt the place was a little blurry since he just woke up.

The next thing he know, he was walking his way going to his house, with Wonwoo holding his hand. He stopped in surprise and was about to let go but Wonwoo make the grip tighter. Still giving a comfortable touch to his hands but a chaotic rhythm on his heart.

He was staring at their hands like it was question on a math exam that he is sure that wasn’t discuss by the teacher.

“You might be not open with this kind of things...”

He heard him started. He met Wonwoo eyes, the sparkle making his heart race even more.

“Don’t even dare to interrupt me”

Wonwoo warned, he transfer his gaze on their intertwined hands. They were at the middle of the side walk and people keep pass on them with curiosity in their eyes. Both care less.

“I find it funny. My father just wanted to punish me by taking a public transportation going to work because I crash his car...”

“I hate it at first, I need to wake up early, I need to walk my way from the station to work and I still need to wait on strangers.  But soon I look forward to it because....”

Wonwoo bits his lips, the stare Mingyu is giving him makes him even nervous. He wanted to just retreat, this was one of embarrassing things he have made.

“Man this is cheesy”

He breathe deeply, it’s just he felt some unknown force is pushing him. To let the things he have hidden for quite long. He loves to hold his hands, and make their spaces close. Maybe, just maybe, through this something will change.

 

 

“because... its because I saw you”

“I found out we also have the same way going to our own destination, so I started giving you chips through your school guard”

“You-“

He was silence with Wonwoo’s point finger, pressing softly on his lips.

“Shhh.  I ordered it abroad, other than that vending machine no one sells it around the country, and that one time I miss giving one to you it’s because the shipping was delayed”

Mingyu laugh to hear it, because of those chips something really interested happening today. But he was thankful; someone put so much effort on little things. He felt a tighter grip on his hand, and he found himself immediately trap on Wonwoo’s gaze.

“I look forward on seeing you dazing off”

“I always wonder what comes in your mind”

“Are we the same?”

His voice was soft, he felt he was soothed with those tone. For a person who owns a deep voice and scare people with stare, this man have so much warm to give.

“Do you find people around you interesting? Just on a few minutes you could figure out their story and it was amusing because you know you aren’t intending it”

A bitten smile.

“I look forward on your annoyed look when someone was insensitive”

“I always caught you cursing over a machine and it is cute”

 

 

“And man you’re so unlucky, it works perfectly fine to others but when it comes to you it malfunctions”

Wonwoo let go of his hand, and went to cup Mingyu’s face. He whispered, only intending for the younger to hear, to make the younger focus to his words.  Mingyu keep silent giving the time the older ask.

“I look forward to your smile, your wild smile that brings me to awe”

“I look forward to met your gaze at the station, because I love how alive you eyes are”

“They give me so much curiosity and message on everything”

“I thought I just find you interesting”

“And now where I am, I...”

 

Mingyu smiled, he have never seen Wonwoo getting so nervous. He is the kind with so much confidence in his system.

 

 

 

“I fall in love with you”

 

 

 

Mingyu smiled widened, and Wonwoo smiled in reply

 

 

 

 There were no words needed to say.

 

 

Mingyu finally discovered what those sparkles means on Wonwoo’s eyes and he found himself mimicking those. Little things he thought has no important give so much sense today.

He closes his eyes, words is always his way to explain what he feels. But now, it wasn’t necessary. He wants to show his response through his action by letting his lips capture by the man with dead eyes.

 

 

               

 

 

 

 

 

 

Maybe I find him interesting; his dead eyes keep bugging me. I have this urge to give it life; I want to give it spark. But I see myself, dreaming of him in my arms, giving me butterflies in my stomach and bringing me to cloud nine. That man with dead eyes caught me, and I’m endlessly thinking of his existence. This isn’t cliché what everyone expects, this is reality and those kinds never exist not until I saw him.

I helplessly expect him to have sparks in his eyes when he sees me, not with those dead eyes. I hope he’ll show his warm to me, not with his cold aura. And I wish to be the person he looks forward to see in the train station. Because I always do, and I wish for him to reciprocate.

-Man with Dead eyes, essay by Kim Mingyu

 

 

 

A/N: This is freaking random, I really wanted to write and I haven’t receive any request. I start making at it from 1AM and the ideas keep flowing. But I find this one really fast, I wanted to show how the two get close but my eyes really cant take it. Sorry. Also, the essay, I want to show Mingyu’s 2 page essay but Im too lazy sooooooo yeah. Hahahahha

If you notice at the foreword, I have 4 prompts working now, requested by my lovely subscribers.

Love lots to my 8 subscriber, I hope you like my attempt on fluff!