One: Changmin

This Was No Accident (it was a therapeutic chain of events)

As was customary, before uttering a single word, Changmin’s long fingers reached for the box of incense marked by the rose atop it in full bloom. Drawing out one stick, he brought it carefully over to a brightly burning candle, lit the end, and smelled the burst of unmistakable jasmine in his nose. His favorite smell in the world.

He let the scent linger for a moment, the rustling of clothing the only sound in the room, soaking in the serenity around him. The sound dampeners kept out the hustle and bustle of the busy city around them, and the exceptionally large parcel of land the temple was placed upon could often afford its occupants the illusion of being secluded from the world around them.

“Now,” he said finally, “We can begin.”

When he turned back to face the room it filled him with such sudden joy to peer out at the seven earnest faces watching his every move. Such youth and innocence was something that Changmin felt drawn to nurture instinctively, which was quite startling considering in the past he’d never felt any kind of inclination towards children. But as of late his mind was beginning to change, and the idea of a family of his own was a warming and prevailing notion.

Changmin moved to the soft, satin cushion at the head of the room and folded his legs underneath him as he sat. Hands on his knees, he said, “In the beginning, there was only the Faceless God.”

Several children leaned forward at their own perches, and Changmin did his best not to smile at the movements. For most of the children, ranging in age from seven to nine, this was a much needed break from relentless studies, in everything from mathematics to philosophy. And especially from the hour each day in which fingers actually bled from frantic attempts to master the fairest of instruments. Changmin’s part of the day, at least for the younger children, was nothing but story time. A combination of relaxation through meditation and tales of old.

“According to the old legends,” Changmin continued, teasing at the child closest to him, “told first thousands of years before you were born, Martell,” the child giggled, “the Faceless God was alone in the darkness. He found this to be displeasing, therefore He created all life.”

The youngest of the children, a fair skinned girl who was still weaning the loss of her parents and old life, spoke out of turn, “But who created the Faceless God?”

Another voice rang out, “And why was he faceless?”

Changmin quieted them patiently, waited for them to settle down, and then said, “The Faceless God was without form because the universe was without life. When there was life, He became Nameless. And, if you’ll all listen carefully to the whole tale, your questions will be answered. Agreed?”

Around him tiny heads bobbed, still thoroughly engrossed with every word he said.

“Now, the Faceless God gave birth to the world, and because there was now life and beauty around Him, He was no longer without form. But He was without a name, because He was alone. So He became the Nameless God, and sought to cure loneliness, as if it were a disease.”

Just behind the furthest child from him Changmin could see the sun low in the sky. It would set soon, and the children would have their final meal of the day before returning to their beds for sweet slumber. With any luck, Changmin would be able to slip away from the Academy. At least for the night.

“Did He?” a soft voice asked.

Changmin nodded. “The Nameless God forged for himself a daughter. Do any of you know why?”

Tentatively a few hands raised into the air, and Changmin nodded at the most reluctant of them.

“Because,” a young boy replied slowly, “girls are nicer than boys?”

Changmin chuckled. “The Nameless God, Darrin, created Himself a daughter because they are in fact, very nice. But also because they’re gentle and kind and loving. The Nameless God knew that if He created a son, there would be companionship, but also the potential for volatile competitiveness. But a daughter, the Nameless God reasoned, would bring about patience, creativity, and knowledge. Thus, a daughter was created, and the Nameless God was no more. Now He was the Father God.”

This was a tale Changmin had heard himself dozens of times before, from his elders, teachers, and even friends. While the children were too young to fully grasp the story, or its importance, it was best to familiarize them with it at as young an age as possible. This was a story they would tell their clients, in soothing, gentle voices, perhaps over a massage, or the sweet moments after passionate love making.

A boy to Changmin’s left crossed his arms and remarked, “Girls aren’t always nice.”

“No,” Changmin agreed with an indulgent look. “And that is something that the Nameless God, now the Father God, quickly learned. For His daughter, the Sun Goddess, was just as quick to temper as nurturing. She could sir the sea into tsunamis, whip the wind into hurricanes, and upturn the earth at the mere thought of dissatisfaction.”

“Why?”

“She was often lonely as well,” Changmin provided. “She was a daughter, but She wished to be a sister and mother. She loved her Father God very much, but She wanted more.”

A shadow crossed against the light in the distance and it drew Changmin’s attention right away, tripping his words up, making him give pause in disbelief.

The children must have sensed his loss of thought because the one nearest him, Martell prodded, “Teacher? You said the Sun Goddess was unhappy?” He parroted back to Changmin, “She wanted more?”

Seconds later the shadow had a form, and words that were, “It’s been my experience, kid, that women usually do.”

Seven heads turned at once and Changmin let out a low exhale of breath. “Your experience is severely limited, sir, if you think only women want more.”

“Sir?” the man laughed, hands on his empty belt. “It’s been a long time since I’ve been called that, Minnie. At least in a way that wasn’t condescending.” Changmin supposed he should have been thankful the man had sense enough to not bring a revolver into a temple that housed a large volume of children.

Changmin rolled his eyes and stood slowly. Turning his back on the man, he walked the short distance to the incense and smothered the tip with his thumb and finger quickly. The smell would linger in the room, however. It would likely be there, floating through the air like mist on a cold winter morning, when the older students arrived for their vocal lessons the following day.

“Children,” Changmin said, dipping his fingers into his long sleeves and giving them a customary bow, “why don’t you all take a trip through the nearby gardens? The Father God created for His Sun Goddess daughter a Moon God brother. Some of our best sculptors on Helios have created works that are present in the garden. Go and see which ones you can find, and I’ll ask you about them tomorrow.”

It was with some reservation that the children rose from their seats, regarding the stranger with caution and some with distain. They arced wildly around him to use the other exit, wary of who he could be, dressed in brown pants and a browner coat, dirt smudging his face slightly, hands calloused from pistol use.

Changmin had seen more than one of the children look to his gun belt, eyes searching for the guns that had stolen life before

When all the children were gone, most of them forgetting the stranger moments after exiting the room, skipping and frolicking off to the garden hand in hand, Changmin said to the man hotly, “You ruined my lesson.”

“Did I now?” the man questioned, moving through the room to the center, quick and nimble on his feet as the navigated the maze of pillows the children had been sitting on. “Don’t you think they’re a bit young for the rest of the story?”

Changmin crossed his arms. “They’re not for the point of it. The story serves to illustrate that we are all ever changing, ever evolving, and that even mighty Gods can be humbled, therefore we must be as well.”

“Because,” the man chortled, “the Sun Goddess and the Moon God end up having uous , which produces the children that supposedly we’re descendant from, and eventually end up overthrowing their father, who, shocker, disapproves of the relationship. The story goes they locked him below ground where the Father God becomes the Death God, and ferries souls specifically who come to him prematurely, as if they’re the children he once wept to have.”

“No,” Changmin said sourly, “I thought I’d leave out the near patricide and the . Just for today, though.” The man laughed and Changmin asked, “What are you doing here, Yunho?”

Yunho grinned wider than he had been before. “Can’t a man come see his little brother?”

Truth be told, and all decorum aside, Changmin wanted to desperately throw himself at his brother. It had been nearly eight months since he’d seen Yunho, and those months had been full of nightmares. His brother was too reckless, too easy to forgive his enemies, and careless with his life. There was never much of a guarantee that Yunho would come back to him, which made every parting that much more difficult.

But Changmin was mindful of how often the walls had eyes, so he merely gave his brother a knowing look and said, “Were I not who I am, you might be so carefree. But you know as well as I do, that you can’t simply come waltzing in here to see me any time you want.”

Yunho shrugged. “Maybe I bought you.”

Changmin snorted. “Bull.” It felt good to let the curse word slip. He spent most of his time around children, who couldn’t be exposed to such vulgarity yet, and adults who were his respected peers that would think less of him if they heard the words. But with his brother there was no pretense, and he could say what he wanted.

“I tried,” Yunho eased out, taking a daring step forward. “I tried to put my request in for your time about a week ago. And imagine my surprise when I was rejected simply because you’re no longer accepting requests. Changmin, what’s going on?”

Simply, Changmin said, “I haven’t been taking clients for several months now, Yunho, and this is something you’d know if you hadn’t been gallivanting around the galaxy, doing your best to not get arrested for smuggling goods that you know very well are illegal.”

“Hey,” Yunho protested, thumbs hanging on his belt, “I’ll have you know I only smuggle contraband about half the time. I’m still a legitimate business man, Minnie, at least fifty percent of the time.”

Changmin said, “You charmed your way in here, didn’t you?”

Yunho leaned forward them, tugging him into a firm hug that was exactly what Changmin had been craving for what felt like forever. His brother’s arms were heavy and comforting around him, making him feel a child again in the best way.

To Changmin, who hardly ever left the planet now, Yunho smelled like space. It was a distinct, unmistakable smell of fuel, stardust and freedom.

“Inez let me in when I told her I hadn’t seen you in over half a year. She said she’d look the other way when I try to slip out.”

With one last squeeze to Yunho, Changmin released him to begin cleaning up the classroom. There wasn’t much in the way of clean up, however. The younger children were exceptionally tidy. It was always the older ones, the ones who were closer to initiation or dismissal, that left the biggest messes.

“You didn’t answer my question,” Yunho said, following him around the room. “Why aren’t you taking clients? You’ve never not taken clients.”

Changmin tossed over his shoulder, “Isn’t it my prerogative?”

“Sure,” Yunho said. “It’s just not expected.”

There were a few candles that Changmin had to put out, silencing the flames with his fingers. Through one of the windows he could see the children in the nearby garden, darting about, enjoying themselves. He thought it was a million times better than keeping them cooped up inside. The weather would be cold soon, but for now it was fine for them to play until dusk.

“Maybe I’ve decided that the children are my calling.”

Yunho arched an eyebrow. “I didn’t know you even liked children.”

Yunho, Changmin could admit, had always been the more affectionate of them. Yunho could be hard and demanding, but he could also be comforting and nurturing. He loved children, and they seemed to flock to him naturally. If a year ago someone had told Changmin that he’d be the one surrounded by children, and not Yunho, it would have been a laughable statement.

“Why are you here?” Changmin asked, trying not to sound like he was prying into Yunho’s business. He was very much aware that sometimes, the less he knew, the better. More than once there had been Alliance representatives at the Academy doors, humiliating him with their questions about Yunho. “And how long are you planning on staying?”

Yunho ticked off on his fingers, “Kyuhyun wanted to visit his sister--she’s with the Helios orchestra for the season, and Onew had a list about a mile long of parts he needs for the ship to keep her going for the next couple of months. But I think Ryeowook just wanted to stretch his legs on a Core planet for a while, and Zhou Mi would never pass up an opportunity to shop in a high end district like the one here on Helios’s capital. Leeteuk is going to attempt to reign in the spending of all parties, but I haven no doubt Zhou Mi will come back with more clothes than he can possible wear, and god help us with Ryeowook having access to the food market about four blocks from here.”

Changmin inferred, “So you’re in-between jobs, spending credits that I’m going to hope were obtained in the fifty percent of legitimate business you conduct.”

“I can safely report that your fears are not realized, brother mine,” Yunho said. “All the credits that are spent today, will be the kind that were legally obtained.” His face darkened for a moment. “I’m sorry about what happened last time, with those bastards coming at you, thinking you knew where I was laying low.”

Humiliation hadn’t even begun to cover having Alliance men on Academy property. His superiors had given him dark looks for weeks, and Yunho had nearly tarnished his reputation by association alone.

There were a lot of things Changmin could abide by, and many more he could overlook, but his reputation was by far the most important thing he had. His reputation garnered him work, and would continue to impact the future he planned to have very shortly.

He desperately needed it to remain intact.

“You nearly cost me a booking,” Changmin said accusingly. “I choose my clients very carefully, Yunho, and I often look forward to the meetings as much as you do. To have a client nearly back out, based on the Companion, is nearly unheard of. People would have talked about it for months, if it had happened.”

“Sorry, sorry,” Yunho breathed out, and Changmin believed him. “Let me make it up to you. Dinner, tonight, with the crew. They’ve really missed you, Minnie, especially Kyuhyun. I know you guys are really close.”

Changmin couldn’t help the smile that crossed his face at the mention of his close friend. Kyuhyun was wild. He was rebellious and free, adventurous and daring. He made Changmin laugh, but more than that, he allowed Changmin to vicariously experience all of the life that Kyuhyun lived continuously.

“I can’t,” Changmin said, settling the last of the candles to the side, making sure the incense was carefully tucked away for future lessons. “I have a previous engagement tonight. Tomorrow?” When Yunho didn’t immediately answer, Changmin felt a pit settle in his stomach. “Is this … are you not staying longer than just today?”

The look on Yunho’s face was too telling. “Changmin …”

“Why?” Changmin demanded, feeling himself get angry, “would you come all this way, make a journey that must have taken the better part of a week to reach Helios, and only stay one night?”

He couldn’t possibly duck out of the dinner he’d committed to, later that night. It had been too long in the making, with extensive guests expected at the magistrate’s home, and Changmin prepared to give the best first impression humanly possible. Not even for Yunho, who had been gone eight months, could Changmin cancel.

Mostly because Yunho would be gone again soon enough, maybe for even longer than before, and Changmin had his whole life in front of him waiting to be made or broken during dinner.

But also because Changmin was actually looking forward to the dinner, and meeting everyone.

Look absurdly guilty, Yunho rocked back a little on his feet and said, “See, here’s the thing …”

Changmin pinched the bridge of his nose. “Yunho.”

Voice low, so much that he was nearly whispering at Changmin, “I got a lead, Minnie. I finally got one. On the Eye.”

Changmin threw his hands up. “Not this again, Yunho!”

“No, wait!” As Changmin turned to put distance between them, lest he strangle his brother to death, Yunho darted closer, insisting, “I mean it this time, Changmin. I have real, concrete information this time. No wild goose chases! I have a real lead on the Eye, and I came here because I need your help.”

The Eye. The Eye of Terra.

It was an absolute myth, no matter what Yunho foolhardily thought, and no amount of leads or evidence would prove otherwise. The Eye, which was supposed to be an impossibly valuable gem--a blood red diamond, was more importantly rumored to be one of two necessary keys capable of opening a vault of Earth’s greatest treasures. Naturally it was completely shrouded in mystery where this vault was, and the bigger mysteries were no doubt were who had preserved all of these treasures, but also what the second key was. None of this had stopped Yunho from plowing ahead with his near obsession over finding it, barely taking enough jobs to keep his ship flying and his crew fed. It was the most reckless thing about his brother, his infatuation with the vault and primary the Eye, and Changmin had long ago stopped believing in the tales children grew out of with puberty.

“I don’t want to hear this,” Changmin said, pulling away. “I mean it, Yunho.”

“Will you just give me a minute?” Yunho asked, voice straining. “I’m your brother, aren’t I? Don’t I deserve sixty seconds of your precious time. I’d pay for it, were that an option.”

Changmin clamped down on his anger. “Sixty seconds, Yunho. And only because you’re my brother.”

Technically speaking, they weren’t brothers in a biological sense. Instead Changmin had been one of the younger orphans of Eaton, not quite a Core planet of the Alliance, but not a Fringe one either. He’d been wandering the streets, barely a few years old and not equipped to survive for very long until Yunho had come upon on him and taken him under his wing.

Maybe Yunho just hadn’t wanted to starve alone, because that year, the year Changmin had met Yunho, was the last year of the Browncoat Rebellion. Trade and food resources from off planet had been drying for years, but in Changmin’s fifth year alive, they ended completely.

Changmin being chosen to train with the Companion Guild was something of a miracle, then. A miracle named Yunho.

And Yunho told it this way:

A Companion representative had come Eaton to choose one child, maybe two, under duress from Core activists who were pressuring the guild to pull children from outside the upper class on Core planets. When Yunho had heard the news, and also that those chosen to train as companions would be well fed, well educated and propelled up in society for the rest of their lives, Yunho had taken Changmin by the hand, taken him directly to the representative and presented him so boldly as the best candidate that apparently refusal hadn’t been an option.

There had been thousands of children bought to see the representative, and only Changmin had been chosen from Eaton.

It was not lost on Changmin that Yunho could have pressed for himself. As a child Yunho had been extremely adorable, smart, clever and determined. If anything had gone different, any single thing, Yunho could have been the one being trained as a Companion. And Changmin likely wouldn’t have survived the streets without him.

Changmin had barely survived living a life of luxury, separated from the one person he called family, until Yunho was old enough to earn passage to Helios and land work on the planet allowing them to visit each other frequently.

Until, at least, Yunho had gotten the Eye in his mind a decade ago and been distracted by it enough to go off world often for years at a time.

“Okay, listen to this,” Yunho rushed out, seeming almost childlike in his need to explain. “I was on Boria when I heard about it.”

“Essentially a smugglers den,” Changmin interrupted smoothly. “Let me guess ,you were drinking and playing cards?”

Yunho grinned foolishly. “What else is there to do on Boria?”

Changmin shrugged. “There’s also the .”

“Anyway,” Yunho pressed on, clearing his throat in a way that told Changmin he had in fact visited a brothel or two on the planet. “There was this old timer on Boria, and true, he was a drunkard and I normally wouldn’t have paid him any attention, but he claimed to be a servant of the Old Ones. More than that, he said he’d been indentured to the First Family in his youth, and that he’d actually seen it.”

“The ramblings of a drunkard,” Changmin said flatly.

From within the pocket Yunho retrieved a faded photograph and showed it immediately to Changmin. “That’s him, Minnie, the little boy in the far back corner. And pray tell me what’s that in his hand?”

Changmin squinted at the photograph. It was hard to make out a lot of it, the film having seen better days, but indeed there was a small child in the periphery of it, and something spherical was in his hand.

“That’s it, Changmin. That’s the goddamn Eye.”

The photo was black and white so it was more than a little difficult to tell for sure, but it actually looked like a gem the boy was handling.

“This doesn’t prove it’s the Eye.”

Yunho held up a patient finger. “This old timer told me quite the unique story about the First Family and he swears on his life that they gave the Eye to an unsuspecting family friend, fashioned it into an ornament of sorts, and to protect it they hid it in plain sight. As you know, the First Family’s first and only priority is preserving the memory of Earth that was. And Changmin, I know the alleged family they gave it to.”

Okay, though Changmin couldn’t bring himself to admit it, he was a bit curious now. This was substantially more than Yunho had ever had on the Eye. And while Changmin still didn’t quite believe it existed, he also knew that Yunho had gone off on the chase before with far less evidence.

But it begged the question …

“What does this have to do with me?” Changmin handed the photograph back and narrowed his eyes as his brother. “Why tell me all this?”

“It’s the Choi family,” Yunho said with a bit of a wince. “The Choi’s of New Haven, and you know what that means.”

Changmin almost choked on the air he drew in. “Are you serious?” In terms of Core planets, New Haven was one of the most wealthy, and also the most heavy protected. The residents of the small planet were heavily screened, and visitors were hardy ever allowed planet side. An orbiting space station took care of most of the trade needed for the planet, but the planet itself remained rich and secluded. Elitist.

Changmin resided on Helios, a very rich planet, and often took clients from the more prestigious planets such as Persephone, but New Haven was a beast all its own. And even Changmin had been vetted heavily the only time he’d taken a client from the planet. In fact it had been such a hassle that he’d vowed never to do it again. And for one other very important reason.

“Yunho,” Changmin said almost sympathetically, “you’re not getting on that planet. No one gets on that planet who isn’t supposed to be there.”

“Ah,” Yunho corrected, “no one gets on that planet that doesn’t have legitimate business. A Companion … one like you would have business there, and you’d need someone to ferry you there. That would be me.”

And now Yunho’s presence made perfect sense. Along with this prying as to why Changmin wasn’t currently taking clients.

Furry building in Changmin’s blood, he asked, “So you’re using my feeling for you, as my brother, to me out to whoever suits your purposes?”

The color drained out of Yunho’s face. “No! Changmin. That’s not what I meant at all.”

“That’s pretty much what it sounds like.”

He just couldn’t bring himself to confess that he’d do worse if Yunho but asked. Yunho, his brother, had risked is life to protect Changmin on the streets, and fended off the sharks to get Changmin in with one of the most prestigious guilds possible. Yunho had sacrificed and given everything for Changmin, and for all of the anger Changmin felt for him at times, there was nothing he wouldn’t do for Yunho.

Yunho almost wailed sorrowfully, “I know you took Choi Siwon as a client once. You’re the only Companion he’s ever seen that I have direct access to, and his birthday is coming up. Did he … request you for the event?”

Once before Changmin had remarked to Yunho that Siwon was his most determined client, several times a year requesting his presence, attempting to ply him with gifts and attention.

Gritting his teeth, Changmin revealed, “Siwon has placed a request for my services.”

Yunho turned away, running a nervous hand through his hair. “I was just thinking that you’d accept, and he’d be in such a feeling of elation that he’d allow you to pass through customs on the planet especially fast. After all, his birthday is in six days.”

“And,” Changmin added, “it’ll take at last five days to get there. Which is why you wanted to leave as soon as possible, to make the deadline.”

“I am not,” Yunho stressed, “asking you to be unfaithful to your vows, or do anything you don’t want to. It just thought that if you accepted Siwon’s invitation, he’d be so utterly distracted that maybe he wouldn’t notice me looking around for the Eye. It’s not uncommon for the more lucrative and sought after Companions to have a bodyguard or two.”

Changmin felt his chest ache a little. “Is this what I’m worth to you, Yunho? A way to get your foot in the door?”

Yunho looked more than reproachful when he turned back to look at Changmin. And with a cracking voice, he said, “I love you very much, Changmin. You’re my brother and I care for you even more than you think I care for the Eye. If you did this for me, it would simply be a favor between brothers. But don’t think for a second that if you choose not to, that I won’t still love you exactly as much as I do now. If you say no, I’ll figure something else out, and I’ll come back as soon as I can. Sooner than before, and we’ll get to spend some real time together. Do you understand?”

It was absolutely true that Yunho had the ability to make him feel like a child with the briefest of words. A child who craved the affection and love of the only family he’d ever known. His big brother.

“Why the rush?” Changmin questioned. “There will be other opportunities besides this party.”

“Ah,” Yunho replied, “but I wasn’t the only one listening to the old man, and by now the news is out that it’s possible the Choi family has been hiding the Eye for over a hundred years. I won’t be the only one attempting to get planet side in the coming week, and I certainly won’t be the only one attempting to get into the party.”

Palms sweating, Changmin steadied himself and asked, “Do you really want to know why I’m not taking clients anymore? It’s directly linked to why I can’t go away with you this very second.”

Yunho’s head dipped. “Are you considering retirement?”

Changmin clarified. “I am retiring. Yunho, I’m getting married.”

The startled look on Yunho’s face was almost comical, along with the way he listed almost suddenly to the side, peering at Changmin like he was a stranger. “You’re getting married?”

Changmin gave a shaky nod, not at all sure why he was so unsteady. “Tonight I’m supposed to attend a dinner that my fiancé’s family is hosting. Tonight, Yunho, I’m meeting my soon to be extended family. A lot of them for the first time.” He’d finally have the big family he’d always wanted.

Eyes watering, Yunho whispered, “My Minnie is really engaged? Getting married?”

“I am.”

Yunho pressed, “Who?”

Lips pulling into a smile, Changmin revealed, “Choi Minho. The Magistrate’s son. It’ll be announced after tonight.”

Yunho was so plainly awed. “The Magistrate’s son? Minnie, you’re moving up in the world. To the very top.”

Changmin ran his hand almost nervously through his hair. “I met him over a year ago, and there was an instant connection. I saw him three times in six months, which is quite uncommon. And then eventually he wanted to see me exclusively. He wanted to marry me. So out of respect to him I haven’t been taking any other clients until the wedding can be announced and my withdrawal from the guild begun.”

“Respect?” Yunho questioned almost viciously.

“Love,” Changmin indulged. “I haven’t been taking clients because I love him and I want to be with only him.”

Yunho looked like he needed to sit down. “I can’t believe it.”

“Believe it,” Changmin said, daring to grin. “I’m going to meet his grandmother tonight. And his brother who’s been on Persephone for the past three years. Yunho, tonight is very important. Minho is the Magistrate’s son and I represent the Companion’s Guild, in a favorable position as is. Tonight has to go well. Tonight is the most important night of my life thus far.”

“I understand, Minnie. And I’m happy for you.” He actually looked like he felt the words he was saying, making Changmin feel eternally better. He had known his big brother’s approval would matter, but hadn’t imagine it would be this much.

“Can’t you stay an extra day?” Changmin asked. “I want you to meet Minho. I want to know that you like him.”

“If you like him--love him, it’s enough.” Yunho shook his head. “And I only came all the way out to Helios to see if I could persuade you to have a part in the heist just this once. I’m so very happy for you, Changmin, but I can’t linger. When’s the wedding?”

“The summer,” Changmin said. “Minho wants an outdoors wedding, and I don’t really care either way. But by summer my withdrawal from the Companion Guild will be finalized and Minho will have his father’s seat on the council. We’ll be in a good position.”

Yunho swore, his voice firm, “I’ll be there, Minnie. I’ll be there to see you get married.”

Changmin reached over to pinch his arm. “Then give up this Eye business. If you get caught trying to sneak onto New Haven you’ll get at least a five year sentence in the labor camps. You won’t be around to see me get married.”

Yunho gave him a wink. “Don’t worry about me.”

“I always worry,” Changmin sighed.

Yunho slid a hand around the back of Changmin’s neck and drew him in for a sweet kiss to the forehead. “You just remember who the big brother is here.”

“Me, because I’m taller,” Changmin teased.

Finally Yunho released him and hooked his fingers again on his belt. “I guess I’ll be going then. I mean it, Changmin. I’ll be here for your wedding. I wouldn’t miss it for the world. And when I come back, we’ll get dinner and hang out and it’ll be great.”

Watching Yunho leave was always a difficult thing, and though Changmin had mastered control of his body a decade ago, his emotions still eluded him at times.

Maybe it was just he feared that his brother would end up breaking his word one day, and he’d come back in a body bag, if he came back at all.

For his meeting with Minho’s family, Changmin bathed with rosewater, brushed his hair a thousand and painted his face with the makeup he almost only wore when seeing a client. He dressed in his most expensive clothing, exquisite silk that fell like water across his skin with a shimmer, and glanced his appearance in the mirror before leaving for Minho’s family home.

He looked perfect. Absolutely perfect.

If only he could make himself smile.

Changmin certainly wasn’t the first to arrive, but he was earlier than most of the expected guests. It was deliberate on his part, giving himself more than enough time to greet his expected father-in-law respectfully, take a quick cup of tea with the woman who’d be his mother-in-law, and steal away with Minho for a brief second of uninterrupted silence. Often they were followed by chaperones, but Changmin liked to think he and Minho were getting better at avoiding them.

“You look upset,” Minho observed right away, pressing a chaste kiss to the back of his hand as he led them through deserted rooms in search of true privacy. “Is something wrong?”

Changmin shook his head, but did confide, “My brother came to see me.”

Minho finally stopped them in his father’s solar, closed the door behind them and proceeded to push Changmin up against it, giving him a more proper kiss. Certainly it was the kind of kiss that their chaperones wouldn’t approve of. “Ah, the mysterious brother that I have yet to meet. That’s not a good thing that he’s here?”

“It is,” Changmin agreed, kissing Minho back deftly. “I only get to see him a couple times a year. It’s just …”

“Yes?”

Changmin felt a grimace cross his face. “He asked me to do something Minho.”

Minho’s long, beautiful fingers traced Changmin’s jaw lovingly. “Something you didn’t want to do?”

“I don’t particularly, but he’s my brother and I’d do most anything for him.”

“Then what?” Minho asked.

Changmin felt a grimace overcome him. “In almost twenty-five years I can count on one hand the amount of times Yunho has actually asked anything serious of me. He simply doesn’t ask important things, but when he does, it’s because he really … needs them from me.”

“You want to help him?” Minho pressed another kiss to Changmin’s mouth, but this one was dry, indicating that there would be no heavy makeout session.

“What he asked of me,” Changmin eased out, “you wouldn’t like it.”

“Can you tell me?”

Changmin gave him a sorry face. “Yunho’s business isn’t always legitimate. This is a case of that. I don’t want to implicate you in any way, if something were to happen.”

A little angry, Minho asked, “But your brother was all too quick to try and implicate you?”

Changmin gave Minho a soft push. “He wouldn’t do that, Minho. He’s even more overprotective than you are, if you can possibly believe that. No, what he asked of me is completely legal, and even if things went bad for him, I’d be perfectly fine.”

Minho asked, “So it’s something you don’t personally agree with?”

Changmin’s head thudded back on the door and he groaned. “It’s complicated.”

Minho took Changmin’s hand in his own and squeezed it. “I think you’d better tell me what you can. And Changmin, I hope I don’t have to remind you that whatever you tell me stays with me. I won’t ever betray your confidence, especially with your brother.”

They were going to be married, Changmin supposed. And they were very much in love. Minho had been trusted with other things before, as well, and never had he betrayed Changmin. Of course the matter with Yunho was different, but this was the man Changmin intended to spend the rest of his life with, and who was a pure and honest man.

Eventually Changmin revealed, “Yunho wanted me to do something that I promised I wouldn’t do anymore, out of love and respect for you.”

Minho listened attentively and patiently.