Octo

Lachrymose

"After God created Adam, who was alone, He said, 'It is not good for man to be alone.' He then created a woman for Adam, from the earth, as He had created Adam himself, and called her Lilith. Adam and Lilith immediately began to fight. She said, 'I will not lie below,' and he said, 'I will not lie beneath you, but only on top. For you are fit only to be in the bottom position, while I am to be the superior one.' Lilith responded, 'We are equal to each other inasmuch as we were both created from the earth.' But they would not listen to one another. When Lilith saw this, she pronounced the Ineffable Name and flew away into the air."

Taehyung squinted at the computer screen, rubbing at a kink in his neck. He and Amaris had been at the library for maybe three hours now without learning anything much about Lilith beyond what the Oracle had told them. They had been able to find a full translation of the Alphabet of Sirach that showed them what the Oracle refused to translate, though it didn't help much. There weren't many sources on Lilith, only being mentioned breifly in interpretations of the Book of Genesis and in other writings. While the Bible connections Amaris had found in Genesis 1:27 and 2:18 noted her existence, there wasn't much to go on. Meanwhile, Taehyung could only find variations on the same story.

"Do you think the Oracle is trying to tell us that Lilith became a demon?" Taehyung turned to Amaris who had her head resting on a stack of books. "I mean, a lot of these texts are saying that Lilith became a demon. Some even say she became a demon king's queen. It would go along with all the other books she left open for us to see."

"She keeps saying 'wrong,' and I don't know what she wants," Amaris mumbled into the books.

"Does she mind telling you what's so wrong about it?" Taehyung raised an eyebrow.

Amaris shook her head, giving a hefty sigh and closing her eyes. Taehyung wondered why the Oracle was being so cryptic about what she was trying to say. She clearly wanted to help, but something was holding her back from explicitly telling them what they needed to know. It felt odd trying to trust this unseen entity on something so delicate. Taehyung was having a hard enough time thinking that any of these things about demons could be true, much less trusting the secretive Oracle pointing them towards these tall tales.

"Taehyung you need to take a leap of faith."

"What?" Taehyung turned to Amaris, the only other person in the library, but her eyes were still shut and she seemed to be asleep.

"I know you don't trust me." Suddenly, Amaris sat up and looked at Taehyung. When her eyes opened, however, they were a brilliant silver that shone like a million stars.

"What the hell?" Taehyung jolted, scooting back in his chair.

"It's me, the Oracle," she said. moved in a strange way when she talked almost as if she wasn't used to having one.

"When I sleep, it doesn't necessarially mean that the Oracle is asleep too... she has her one shot to control our body completely when I'm asleep."

"Is Amaris asleep?" Taehyung asked, still completely shocked by what he was witnessing.

"Yes, she dozed off." She nodded, standing up. "She did not really sleep well last night. She was anxious about this case you have brought to her."

"What are you trying to tell us?" Taehyung asked. He was shaken, facing the Oracle like this. It was difficult just grasping the idea of the Oracle as a metaphysical being, but seeing her in the body of his old friend was jarring. It looked so wrong. Her eyes looked cold in Amaris and her speech pattern was too formal. No matter how he looked, Taehyung couldn't find Amaris in this person before him.

"I cannot disclose everything." The Oracle shook her head. "I would expose far too much about myself which would put the both of you in danger. Despite what you and Amaris may feel, I only wish to keep her safe."

"Then what can you tell us?" Taehyung stepped forward, searching the Oracle's vibrant, empty eyes for an answer.

"I can tell you that Lilith did not leave Eden of her own accord," she said, "and she was not happy about it."

"What does that mean?" Taehyung's brow furrowed.

"Lilith wants revenge. You have to stop her. I am unable to say anything more than that," the Oracle answered.

"No offense, but that doesn't really help at all." Taehyung crossed his arms.

Without a word, the Oracle touched two fingers to Taehyung's temples. A series of numbers flashed before his eyes at a speed faster than he could read. Somehow, though, the numbers were ingrained in his memory.

"Coordinates?" Taehyung shook his head, blinking rapidly.

"Everything you need will be there," the Oracle said, sitting back down and placing her head on the pile of books just as Amaris had.

"Wait!" Taehyung called out.

"Hm?" Amaris jolted up, but this time her eyes were her own. "Did I fall asleep? Why are you looking at me funny?"

"I...I spoke to the Oracle," Taehyung breathed, pulling out a chair and sitting next to Amaris.

"What did she say?" She asked, suddenly much more awake.

"Not much, honestly," Taehyung allowed himself a small laugh before continuing, "just that Lilith didn't leave Eden on her own and is vengeful. She gave me coordinates and said that everything we need would be there. I don't know what that means, but I'm thinking it's worth a shot."

"Then I suppose we should get going." Amaris smiled softly.

Taehyung smiled back as she stood up to put the books back. It was comforting to see Amaris back in her own body. It had been chilling to see the Oracle speaking with Amaris' mouth. The Oracle was so cold, distant, and mechanical, almost inhuman. Amaris, in contrast, was warm with a certain empathy that radiated into everything she did. 

Although Amaris was nowhere near the girl who had disappeared ten years ago, she had a distinct character to who she was now. Maybe she wasn't the Amaris Taehyung had loved, but perhaps that was for the best. Love had no place in a case and certainly no place among oracles and demons.