Six

Lachrymose

Amaris was an angel fallen to Earth. It sounded so painfully cheesey, but to Taehyung it was true.

She was tall with long, slender legs and a waist any other girl would envy. She wasn't as curvy as some American girls were, but she had a softness to her edges. Her hair was long, reaching mid-back, and incredibly silky. Sometimes, Taehyung would just run his fingers through it and it would feel like silk. When she walked, her hips would sway in such a tantalizing way that Taehyung worried other boys would notice her.

Not only was she beautiful outside, but her heart was the most gorgeous of all. Taehyung loved Amaris' sense of adventure, her hunger for excitement. She took them on great adventures off the beaten path. Besides that, she was the most caring person Taehyung had ever known. She would talk to the student sitting alone at lunch, help the struggling librarian carry books somewhere, and listen to all of Taehyung's troubles.

He was so lucky to have Amaris, the fallen angel. They were best friends, they did everything together. He loved going to the movies with her and smuggling in snacks; he loved going to the mall and letting her pick out thinks for him to wear. Most of all, he loved her. 

Sure, she only saw him as a friend, but from the time they had met to just about a year ago so had Taehyung. She didn't know his feelings. Maybe if he just told her, she would realize she loved him too. Regardless, Taehyung would have to muster up the courage to confess his feelings.

And so, he decided, he would confess his feelings to Amaris on the day of her sixteenth birthday, next week. It was a school day, a monday no less, so he would take her out for parfaits after classes ended. She loved parfaits, and it was the perfect birthday treat. There, he would give her a letter. It'd be kind of weird, but Taehyung figured the best way to ensure he could say everything he wanted to was if he wrote it down. Hopefully after that, Amaris would accept his feelings and it would go from there.

Taehyung daydreamed about his plan as the days went by painstakingly slow. He had written the letter already as well as read it, edited it, re-read it, and edited it again. It took everything for him to not just leave the letter in Amaris' desk at school and run for the hills.

Nevertheless, Taehyung was able to hold off until Amaris' birthday. That morning, he practically flew out of bed over the excitement and nervousness at what he planned to do later that day. He hoped that Amaris hadn't caught on to his strange behaviour recently; he wanted everything to be a perfect surprise.

Taehyung all but ran to school, arriving ten minutes earlier than his usual ten minutes late. When he slid into homeroom just as the late bell was ringing, he noticed Amaris was nowhere to be seen. Her desk all the way up at the front was empty, no bag to signify her ever being there that day.

Taehyung wasn't worried, though. Maybe she decided to show up late or even take the day off. It was her birthday after all and with her parents being American, they were very liberal about school expectations. He just decided that he would drop by her house on the way home to take her out for parfaits.

The day went by just as slowly as the past week had. The anticipation was killing Taehyung, each second taking approximately an hour to pass until the final bell rang.

Arriving at Amaris' house in no time, Taehyung slammed his fists on the door feverently.

"Taehyung?" Amaris' mother opened the door with a surprised and mildly frightened look. "What are you doing here?"

"It's Amaris' birthday, and I wanted to treat her to parfaits," Taehyung said excitedly, not seeing that she was very clearly upset.

"I'm sorry, but you have to go." She shook her head, starting to close the door.

"Wait, why?" Taehyung frowned.

"Amaris is very sick," she answered before adding, "please stay away."

Before Taehyung could ask any more questions, she closed the door in his face with a heavy thud. He stood there, dejected, wondering what on Earth could be wrong with his best friend for her mother to be that distraught. Despite his curiousity, Taehyung decided to leave it alone and head home.

For a few days, the pattern went on like this. Amaris' desk would remain empty at school and Taehyung would be shut out of her house by her parents. After a week, Taehyung stopped dropping by after school and instead called her house everyday. Each call, however, was met by voicemail.

After three weeks, Taehyung knew something was seriously wrong. One last time, he decided to stop by Amaris' house to find out once and for all what was happening. When he arrived, however, he found the residence empty with a 'for sale' sign posted in the lawn. 

Amaris was gone. Without a word, she disappeared. She had gone off somewhere on some adventure. Only this time, she left Taehyung behind.

Taehyung awoke abruptly, his sheets thrown in disarray. After all these years, Taehyung wondered why he dreamed about the day Amaris disappeared without a word. He had felt so betrayed, so lost. It wouldn't be until the following year that he would find out about Amaris' new status as Oracle.

"I really loved her," he whispered to himself, swinging his one good leg over the edge of his bed to sit up.

He reached over to where his prosthetic leg leaned against the wall and went through the motions of attatching it to his stub while his mind thought about the Amaris he had known all those years ago and the Amaris he had met that day.

Getting up, Taehyung walked over to his chest of drawers filled with neatly folded polo shirts and too many pairs of black socks. He opened the top left drawer filled with ties, reaching beneath his least favorite ties that were shoved in the back to pull out a crumpled envelope.

Inside that envelope was Taehyung's love letter to Amaris, his confession. It was crumpled and dirty from all the travels it had made from one place to the next, never reaching its intended home. After all these years, though, it hadn't been opened. The sticker sealing it shut had since passed its expiration date, but Taehyung had never thought to look back on those feelings. Tonight, however, was different. Tonight, Taehyung was going to read the words he wrote a decade ago.

Amaris,

This is probably the weirdest birthday gift you're ever going to get (even including that time I got you a jar of pickles). I've just been thinking about this a lot recently, and I feel like I'll explode if I don't say something. By now, you've probably guessed what this is going to be, but just bear with me until the end. See, I really like you, Amaris. You've been my best friend these past three years, and the time we have together is the best. I can't imagine going back to a life without you in it. I want you to know that you're really important to me, and no matter your answer to the contents of this letter I want us to still be friends. I've realized that I love you, Amaris. You're beautiful inside and out, you make me feel like I'm worth a damn. I've never felt like this around anyone before. I've never had a friend like you, never felt this way about anyone the way I feel about you. I love you, Amaris, and I want you to accept my feelings. 

Love, 

Yours Truly,

Taehyung

P.S. Happy birthday. Hope it was a good one.

Taehyung laughed fondly at his terrible writing. Back then, he had been young and foolish. He always let his emotions get the best of him, bringing out the strangest in him. He wondered what would have happened if he gave the letter to Amaris when he had planned to. Would she have accepted his feelings, or would she have turned him down? Would their friendship have remained intact, or ended up in shambles?

"Guess I'll never know." Taehyung shrugged, returning the letter to its envelope.

Tired, Taehyung returned to bed, but not before placing the letter on the inside pocket of his work jacket.