Nihil

Lachrymose

Kim Taehyung arrived at the office to the usual hustle and bustle that would make any sane person run for the hills. There were people scurrying for evidence, typing reports up at breakneck speeds, rushing out the door to chase a lead, and answering phones like madmen. Everything was fast paced, but he found it to be just the right tempo for his life. It was chaotic, but it was home.

As he approached his desk, Taehyung's brow furrowed at the telltale manila envelope on his desk that would no doubt be his next case. It wasn't like he minded having a new case, but no one had told him beforehand. Usually, he'd get at least a day's notice. 

When Taehyung reached his bare cubicle, he sat down and quickly opened the thick envelope containing masses of reports and photos. He glanced over the photos first, taking in the gruesome murders of at least a dozen women. Each one had once been quite beautiful, but was left almost unidentifiable at the time of their death. After a moment of looking over the information, Taehyung realized something was wrong. The photos were too old, the reports archaic.

"Boss?" Taehyung rapped his knuckes on the doorframe of his boss' office.

"What is it Detective Kim?" His boss answered without looking up from her computer. "I'm very busy."

"It's just..." He faltered, unsure of what exactly to ask. "There was this file on my desk."

"I would hope our best detective would know what a file on their desk meant by now," she muttered, still engrossed in whatever she was doing.

"But this case is almost two hundred years old," Taehyung insisted. Something had to be wrong. "And it's a cold case."

"Taehyung, here's the truth." She finally looked up from her screen and took her glasses off. "This case has been the bane of this institution. We don't know how this has been happening exactly ever twenty years for the past two hundred years, but we have to stop it. If the pattern continues, there's four months until the next murders. You're our last hope Taehyung. You're all we got."

"With all due respect, ma'am, you're having me chase ghosts," Taehyung said.

"I know, and it's basically impossible," she sighed, rubbing her temples, "but there is someone who might be able to help us."

"Who?" Taehyung's brow furrowed.

"The Oracle." She turned back to her work.

"You know I don't believe in that stuff." Taehyung shook his head.

"You don't have to believe, Detective Kim, you just have to solve this case."