The Grandmother and the Chauffeur *Edited*

Opposites Attract

   A/N: Hey ya'll! So this is another edited chapter. About 40% is different from the original so I'd recomend reading it if you don't want to get confused later on. ^^


I gave the woman a quizzical look and gently pushed her away from me. 

“Excuse me, but, WHO are you?” I asked. “And why are you speaking weirdly?”

  “Well…” The old woman started. “I’m pretty sure that I’ve already introduced who I am. And what do you mean ‘Speaking Weirdly’? I’m speaking in my first; wait no, OUR first language.”

    “Huh? Wha-“

   “Miss Kim?” I was cut off by my History teacher. “Can you share with us about what you two are talking about? The rest of us here don’t know how to speak Korean.”

   “Speaking Korean? But, I don’t know Korean either.”

  “That’s pretty hard to believe because you have about twenty witnesses here that have seen you speak it.” He gave me a ‘You can’t fool me with that bull crap’ look.

  The old woman next to me stepped up. “I’m sorry; I was just so excited that I forgot where I was exactly.” She said in perfect English. “What I was saying before was that my name is Taeyeon Jeon and Baelynn Cho is my long-lost granddaughter.”

   The silence in the room was no more as a wave of whispering flooded the room. Not a lot happens in this town, so this whole ordeal was like a gossip gold mine to my classmates.

   I could have sworn I hear one of them whisper "What is this? The Princess Diaries?" 

 “Baelynn CHO?” My teacher asked then turned to me. “If I remember right, isn’t your last name Kim?”

     "Yeah, it is.” I nodded. “I’m sorry Ma’am but I think you might have the wrong Baelynn; see, my name is Baelynn KIM. Not Baelynn Cho." 

 Her eyes widened a bit before she started giggling like a cheerleader. "Goodness greatious! My dear! Who was the horrible person that told you THAT?" 

     When she saw my still unconvinced face she gave a small but sad smile.  

    "Now look here..." She placed her hands on both of my shoulders. "After searching the world for almost 16 years, WHY would I refuse to say you aren't my grandchild just because of a last name mishap? I KNOW you are the one I have been looking for… especially since you are the spitting image of your mother."

Once again, she left me speechless. Just, how in the world am I supposed to react to this situation? I mean, I'm still in the middle of class right now too!

    "My dear, the answers to your questions will come in due time." She said as if she could read my mind. "But for now, let us be off!" 

I didn't even have time to grab the rest of my books before she took my hand and started to drag me out of the school. 

   "Wait! Where are we going?!" I asked, trying to keep up and not trip over my feet. I was shocked at how fast she could walk in those heels.

 "Why… to get you out of that orphanage, silly!" She laughed. "Why would you keep living there when you have a family that's waiting for you back home?"

  "What?! But, School's still going on! And, even with a pass or not, they don't just let strangers take kids out of school!"

  "Ah! But, you see my dear. I'm not a stranger." she led me through the school's front door and kept walking until a big man in a M.I.B-like suit and a black car were in front of us. The big man opened the door and she ushered me into it. 

   "I'm your Grandmother!" She squealed in delight and told the driver to start heading to our destination. 



  It wasn't long before the black car drove onto the gravel in front of Pam's Dream House. The woman who claimed to be my Grandmother took my hand and forced me out of the car and into the building. To my surprise, the head caretaker was already waiting for us. She looked hesitantly at the old woman beside me.

   "Ma'am, I thought we were going to wait until she came home AFTER school?" 

  The old woman blew a raspberry and wave the question away. "So I could wait for her even more after all these YEARS of searching? No way!"

  The head caretaker sighed and led us to the conference room. The old woman hasn't let go of my hand once and I could feel it tingle due to lack of blood flow.

      We sat down as the caretaker sat in front of us and placed a couple of files in front of her. I eyed them and noticed one of them was my own personal file.

 "Baelynn..." She said, getting my attention. There was a kind of sorrowfulness in her eyes along with something that looked like guilt. But, why would she be guilty? Out of all the head caretakers that I’ve had to deal with, she was the most kind. She never hurt me, never scolded me for something I didn't do; she was practically the closest thing to a mother-figure that I've ever had.

  "I know that you might be a little shocked right now because of this... situation..."

 I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "A BIT?"

    She ignored my comment and sighed. "... Truthfully, I was shocked too. But, you have to understand, Baelynn. All that this woman says.... it's true..."

 I flinched. "Wait... what?"

 She looked at the old woman next to me as if to say she should be the one to explain, which she did. The old woman turned her body towards me and took my hands into hers.

   "Baelynn, sweaty... Like I said earlier, your last name isn't Kim. Actually, Baelynn Kim isn't your real name at all. You were born as Cho Bae-rin, Baelynn is just an Americanized verson of your name..." She paused to give my mind the time to process the info. "You are the daughter of Lee Hae-rin and my son, Cho Baek-ho."

   The room was silent as I tried to take it all in. "If I had a family this whole time, why am I here? Did... did they really not want me?"

  Horror struck the old woman's face. "Oh! My dear, no! That's not it at all! They loved you with all their heart! You were the most precious gift they ever had!"

   "Were?" I questioned. She frowned sadly and looked down. "They both died 16 years ago when someone broke into your house. Your mother was shot on the spot by the perpetrator, while your father ended up in a coma due to a blow to the head; he died a few months later."

  The hands that gripped mine shook as she started to tear up. "By the time the police came, the damage was already done, and you were gone; kidnapped when you were only three years old!"

   By now, she was sobbing. “When your father died, everyone thought you were dead. I was the only one who held onto the hope that you were still in this world and right after his funeral I started to look for you. I searched the whole world for you and finally found you here!" She cupped my cheek and smiled through her tears. I could see the happiness in her eyes and hope started to form inside of me.

What if it was true?

What if she IS my actual Grandmother? 

    The feeling didn't last long though, for doubt started to form in my heart. "I'm sorry, but, no matter how real this seems to be... I still can't bring myself to believe it without any proof."

   The woman nodded slowly in understanding. "I wasn't expecting you to. So that's why I came up with the idea of going to the hospital and taking a DNA test. Would you like to do that?"

   I thought over it a bit, and ended up agreeing. We didn't hesitate to drive to the hospital at all. The nurses took hair, saliva, and blood samples from the both of us, and told us the results would comeback in a week. During that said week, I got to spend some time with my 'Grandmother'. I got to skip school so she could take me out shopping and to go to different types of restaurants for lunch and dinner. She found the closest Korean restaurant and made me eat there once a day so I could try the different Korean meals.

     In all honestly, I have never tasted anything as delicious.   

   We even went to the theater and found out that we both love watching horror movies. It was actually pretty nice and I couldn't stop smiling the entire time.

      When the results finally came back, we picked them up and returned to the orphanage to read them. I was nervous. What if I wasn't her actual granddaughter? What if I was actually a total and complete stranger to her? I was scared that I wasn't going to be who she thought I was; and, surprisingly, I wanted to be the one she was looking for. I really wanted to be her granddaughter.

   She gave me a confident look before opening the envelope and taking out the results. She quietly read through it and sighed. Panic ran through me and she looked up.

    "It says that...." She started off. "...Taeyeon Jeon and Baelynn Kim are...." She smiled at me with such delight.

  "100% Grandmother and Granddaughter!" 

    My eyes widened in surprise and we both jump up, hugging each other in glee. I couldn't believe my ears! This was true! This was really true! 

   After our little celebration my grandmother, hehe, proceeded to tell me that now that we had the proof, I would now have to live with her in her house in South Korea. She booked us plane tickets for the next day and told me to relax until then while she finished up the legal paperwork. I didn't own much so I just packed my three favorite outfits and some books into my bag. 

  The next day, we boarded the plane at around noon after I said my goodbyes to the other kids and the caretakers; I would be lying if I said that I wouldn't miss them. 

   My grandmother and I sat down next to each other and she noticed how nervous I looked about riding the plane. So when it started to take off, she helped to distract me by telling me all of the wonderful things that would happen once we got to South Korea. One of them was this huge party that the family was going to have in honor of her turning 87 years old. It was supposed to take place the day after tomorrow and my grandmother loved the idea of also making it a celebration of me being found and also an early 19th birthday party, which happened to actually be the day after my grandmother's.

     My cheeks pinked at the thought of people being happy because I was found and, honestly, I totally couldn't believe that I have been celebrating on the wrong day this whole time. 

   The flight to South Korea was going to be really long, so my grandmother told me to get as much sleep as I possibly could. I happily complied and sat back in my seat.

   As I closed my eyes the last thing that I thought before succumbing to sleep was that; if this whole ordeal was a dream, I hope I never wake up.



     I was still asleep when we finally landed and my grandmother woke me up by gently shaking my shoulder. We grabbed our carry-ons and exited the plane to step into the Korean airport. She explained to me that her chauffeur had already grabbed her non-carry-on bags and was waiting for us outside. I wondered how she knew this, but I guess that's just what the 'chauffeur's' job was supposed to be. True enough, when we walked out of the airport, there he was, M.I.B-styled suit and all. He took our bags and placed them gently into the trunk along with the others and opened the door for us so we could climb into the back seat. 

     "Isn't he sweet? Not only is he my chauffeur, but also my best friend! Isn't that right, Joohyun?" She leaned over a bit towards him expectantly. But Mr. Joohyun looked his shoulder at me with an amused twinkle in his eyes. "Oh? Are we now, Malady?"

   My grandmother puffed out her cheeks in annoyance as I tried to hide my laughter. "Awwww! Really? You're going to act like this in front of my granddaughter?!"

  Mr. Joohyun laughed an apology. "Oh, you know I was just kidding, Taeyeon-ah. She's right, Miss Baelynn. My family has been serving her family for generations, but we've been best friends since elementary school."

     "I have so many stories to tell you about how much trouble he got in during high school! He used to be such a ladies man!" My grandmother laughed while Mr. Joohyun raised his brow. 

  "Oh yeah? Wait till I tell her how much of a drama Queen you used to be. Remember the 'Haley's Comet' incident?"

That shut my grandmother up as her eyes grew large. "You wouldn't..."

   Mr. Joohyun chuckled. "Oh yes, I would."

  That's how the rest of the drive to my grandmother's house was. The two of them trying to oust embarrass each other and me trying my best not to die of laughter because of them. By the time we actually got to the house, I was almost completely out of breath. 

   Mr. Joohyun climbed out of the car and opened the door again so my grandmother and I could get out. When my eyes landed on the house I was in total shock at how much I was underestimating my grandmother's way of living. I, at first, thought that she would have lived in some sort of traditional Korean house that was surrounded stone walls (She showed me pictures of them once.). Instead, it was a huge four-story, modern mansion that looked like it was designed by a professional architect. (A/N Imagine it as like the house that the killer guy has in 'sensory couple')

     "Hmmm... Well that's strange." My grandmother's concerned voice brought me out of my shock. 

 "Is something wrong, Grandma?" 

  She was looking at a few cars parked not too far from ours. "Joohyun? Were we, by any chance, supposed to have visitors today?"

Mr. Joohyun took out his phone and I guessed that he was looking at a calendar app. Hehe, old people and their phones. 

    "Actually..." He replied. "Today was the day everyone is supposed to come and help decorate."

  My grandmother clapped her hands together like she discovered something "Oh! That's right! Oh dear... and I haven't even told them all about finding Baelynn." 

Before I could ask who she was talking about, she grabbed my hands and led me through the front door. If the outside of the house was amazing, then the inside was just astonishing! The place was so huge that I can't even try to describe it! Although, I could say that I bet I'd get lost at least once here. 

     My grandmother turned to me and gave me an apologetic smile. "Baelynn, sweety. I'm sorry to say this, but would it be alright if you could go find your room by yourself? There are people here that I need to see and explain the situation to before they can see you."

    I nodded and she proceeded to give me directions to where I'd be sleeping from now on. Turns out, she wasn't the only one who resided here and my room would be on the third floor where some of the other kids in the 'family' were supposed to stay.

    So I grabbed my duffle bag and climbed up the two sets of stairs and onto the third floor. Instead of it being one big hallway like I thought it would be, it was, instead, like entering another house. Once you got onto the floor, the first thing you would see was a living room and a small kitchen. After the living room, there were two different hallways that I could only guess led to rooms. 

     From my grandmother's directions, she said that my room would be the last one in the hallway on the left. So I went left, walked all the way down to the last room and, well what do you know, there's a door with my name on it, literally. I guess Mr. Joohyun wanted to have some fun by making a pretty door sign just for me. 

   I smiled to myself and opened the door. The inside was pretty simple with just a bed, a closet and a desk. I didn't question anything since my grandmother promised that she'd take me out shopping for cloths and other stuff that I would need later. Knowing her, I bet she'd have so much fun looking for things to decorate my room with. 

   I placed my duffle bag onto the bed and looked around until my eyes landed on another door on the other side of the room. Curiously, I opened it to find out it was a bathroom; and a pretty big one at that. The toilet sat in a small niche right next to a big walk-in shower that was hidden behind a glass wall. Across from them were two sinks which, I noticed immediately, one already had a tooth brush and other personal items already sitting around it. Before I could question why they were there, another door that was exactly right across from the one I was standing in caught my eye. 

      "Ah~ It must be like, a 'roommate' kind of thing." I told myself. Now I was getting even more excited. I wonder if they're making me share a bathroom with my cousin or another distant relative! I hope she's nice; it'd be awesome if we could become friends. 

      While thinking happy thoughts about the new life that was ahead of me, I decided to take a quick shower to get rid of some of the jet lag. I found a towel that was on my bed, got a new set of cloths and headed back into the bathroom. Man, did the hot water feel nice. 

   Once I was clean and fully clothed, I made my way back into my room and droped  down onto my bed. It didn't even take a minute before my eyes started to feel heavy and I could feel the rest of the jet lag telling my body to shut down and rest for a bit. Sleep washed over me and I was in pure bliss for a few minutes.

      And when I say minutes: I mean MINUTES. Because me being the light sleeper I was, woke up by the sound of a door opening.

     Curiosity won me over as I got up and leaned my back against the wall next to my bed; but before I could even say the words "Is someone there?", a hand shot out and grabbed my throat while another grabbed my shoulder and pinned me against the wall. I squeezed my eyes shut and let out a painful choke. 

     "Who are you..." a deep voice growled. I opened my eyes, only to be met by deep, dark brown ones glaring back at me. The person that was holding me hostage was a boy who looked to be my age. He had dark brown hair and wore what look liked some sort of school uniform. He wore a scowl on his face and did NOT look happy to see me. When I didn't answer him, he growled again and tightened his grip on my neck, choking me slightly.

  "I'm going to ask you only once more." he spat.

    "Who the hell are you and what are you doing in this house?!" 




A/N: Dun dun DUUUUNNN! Haha!

So I originally had the chauffeur's name as Joohoon but it looked weird to me, so I changed it to Joohyun instead. I'm going to do this with some other characters too, so please to be alarmed if you get confused by the name changes!