The Responsible Space Cadets

Nini, let's play!

“Come in, In 5, over.”

Kshhh. Roger that.”

Kshh! In 5, are you in place?”

Kshh, Yung 99, I am in place.”

Kshh, good. Ready yourself for the battle of a life time.”

Kshh, you be ready for this battle. I heard a pair of colorful pieces of gum didn’t make it out.”

“No! We’ll have to pull out our bestest defenses! We’ll need to call upon our rock force!”

The two boys were seated on small orange chairs, suited just for them. Kyungsoo had his favorite red blanket on as his cape while Jongin had his own green one. They were enclosed around a cardboard box, drawn on with crayon and all kinds of bland colorful designs to represent the spaceship they were flying in.

“Rock force?! I thought that the other people got rid of that stuff since it almost took over the universe!” Jongin jumped in his seat, making the store bought space helmet tilt off his head.

“I took a secret stash. We’ll win against the Slime Goop with it! Come on!” Kyungsoo waved his arm in the air, signaling for the boy to follow with his hands on the cardboard handles of the steering wheel.

As soon as the boys looked ahead their worlds were into the vast darkness of space; specs of silver and white sparkling everywhere. Just behind them was the armada they were leading into battle against the Goops, to prevent them from covering the entire universe in its deadly slime.

“Attaaaack!” Kyungsoo yelled as his thumbs pressed down on the top of the steering wheel, letting loose the green plasma guns.

The two shrieked and squealed as their ship would graze into other ships or when they were slightly hit by the slime canons. It was an intense battle between the good people of the universe and the evil Slime Goop overlords. Left and right ships crashed and broke down—particles of ships would float around in the little gravity they had.

“To the right!” In 5 screamed at Yung 99 when one of the Goop ships slipped passed him.

“Got it!” Yung 99 shot the evil ship down.

“Yeah!” In 5 cheered with the couple other ships that saw the fight.

“Oh no, we’ve got one on our !” Yung 99 turned over his shoulder watching the captain of the Goop armada chase them down and shoot relentlessly. Yung 99 turned back around and grew the most serious face he could muster on his small features. “Just follow my lead.” Yung 99 pushed his steering wheel forward and rushed all around the battle field.

“Kyung! Be careful!” In 5 exclaimed when Yung 99 started to drive the ship straight up.

Yung 99 said nothing, his face getting more and more upset as he drove, trying to rid the darn Goop off his tail. Sweat started to drip from his brow as he concentrated, ignoring all the pleas coming from In 5.

As soon as Yung 99 was out of the battle field, he turned and started his decent back down into the battlefield.

It was a crazy idea and terribly dangerous as Yung maneuver his way through all the ships that tried shooting each other down. Ships flew by this way and that, In 5 was clung onto his chair, leaving all the controls to Yung 99.

“Kyungsoo!” In 5 screamed as the ship hurdled toward a Goop ship that turned up and started to shoot at them.

Yung 99 ignored the boy and pulled away as soon as the Goop ship was just a couple feet in front of them. The ship behind them and the ship in front collided with one another, successfully clearing their flanks.

“You did it!” In 5 screamed and raised a powerful fist as he did so. Yung 99 smiled to the boy next to him.

Everyone in their own ships cheered for them, admiring Yung 99’s risky and smart move.

“Aaaalright boys.” Came the melodious voice of Kyungsoo’s mother.

The illusion dissipated, showing the white walls of the living room and dark windows from outside.

“It’s been way past your bedtime.” She said as she leaned over one of the couches to bring down the shades of the window.

“Awww! But mom!” Kyungsoo bounced in his seat in retaliation.

“No but’s. I let you stay up long enough. Come on, both of you. Up, up!” His mother went over to the two and started pushing them off the chairs.

Jongin yawned as soon as got out of the box, rubbing his eyes as he did so. The yawn was infectious, making Kyungsoo’s mouth do the same.

“Alright, now I’m going to count on the two of you to get ready by yourself. That means make sure you brush your teeth and face before I get up there to tuck you in. Can I count on the two of you to be responsible enough?”

“Yeah, of course mom! I’m reponsiple!” Kyungsoo looked up with a proud smile on his lips.

“Yeah! We’re reponpiple!” Jongin smiled just as big after repeating the boy next to him.

Kyungsoo’s mother rolled her eyes, “Alright, boys. Go upstairs, okay?”

“Okay!” The two chimed as they raced each other up the stairs.

Once they were in Kyungsoo’s room, the two changed.

“Wait, wear my star PJ’s.” Kyungsoo handed Jongin his onesie as he was leaned over his dresser, dressed in nothing but underwear. “That way I can wear my Buzz Lightyear ones and we’ll match.”

“Okay!” Jongin took the onesie and dressed in it as Kyungsoo dressed in his Buzz Lightyear onesie. The two were so happy to be matching, it felt like they were closer than they already were.

Once they were in the bathroom, they shared the small white stool that allowed their small short bodies reach the sink and mirror.

The two started off by washing their faces in warm water, splashing each other a little more intensely than they thought—both their onesies were covered in a decent layer of water. They rubbed a little hand soap on both their hands and rubbed away at all the spots they thought reached their face with their noses scrunched and eyes shut tight—they couldn’t be too careful when it came to soap; it was one of the worst feelings in the world to get it in their eyes. Once they rinsed and finished a quick splashing on each other, they dried their faces with giggles and grabbed for their toothbrushes. Kyungsoo gave them both toothpaste, accidentally putting a little more than needed.

As soon as Jongin was about to put the toothbrush in his mouth, the toothpaste fell on his chin.

Kyungsoo giggled, “Look at your face!” He pointed at the boy to look in the mirror.

Jongin frowned when Kyungsoo started giggling, so he took the glob on his chin with a finger and wiped it on Kyungsoo’s cheek.

Kyungsoo gasped, a mischievous smirk playing on his gasp. He grabbed the toothpaste bottle and squeezed a generous amount and tried to smear it on Jongin’s face, but the boy shrieked as he ran away from the hand.

Instead of making its way on the boy, the glob of toothpaste landed on the mirror.

Both boys froze and looked with wide eyes at the mirror.

“Uh oh..” Jongin said with a slight giggle leaving his mouth. Kyungsoo giggled just as much back.

Kyungsoo got back up on the stool and started smearing the stuff around, bringing both hands in when one just wasn’t quite doing the job.

“There. That way it’ll look flat like the mirror!” Kyungsoo stood back and admired his crafty work. A mirror covered in small hand marks of toothpaste, it was a masterpiece.

“Hey, what’s this?” Jongin picked up a bottle from the tub.

“Oh! My dad uses it! He called it some sort of cream.. But you squeeze up here—” Kyungsoo had pressed down on the very top, making a ball of fluffy cream stuff shoot out. It made Jongin jump with a giggle.

“It looks like frosting!” Jongin went to reach a hand out and taste it.

“No! Daddy said it wasn’t meant for eating, you’ll get really sick.” Kyungsoo pulled the bottle away before Jongin could touch it.

“Then what else do you do with it?”

“I dunno… Put it on your face?”

Jongin held out his hands for Kyungsoo to put some of the weird creamy substance in.

“Okay boys, you’ve been in here for a mighty long tim—” Hyun Mi had opened the bathroom door; she walked in to find her son and Jongin seated in the middle of the floor in  pajamas, covered in shaving cream.

Kyungsoo’s face had a messy beard and hair connected with the cream; Jongin’s face had a mustache that curled, thick eyebrows and hair that pointed at the very top.

The bathroom was a complete and utter mess. Water was puddled all over the floor around the sink, the mirror was covered in a thick layer of blue toothpaste and the ground had splotches of shaving cream, too.

The two boys looked up at Hyun Mi with guilt riding all over their faces.

“Boys…” She breathed out at the atrocious sight of her just cleaned bathroom.

“W-We—”

“Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin!” She reprimanded. “What did you do?!” Her face was a little red with irritation, making the boys cower in mortification.

“I accidentally got toothpaste on the mirror and thought that-that rubbing it would make, make it better. So it didn’t look so bumpy, but smooth.” He said in his small childish voice as he tried to think of the right words to say.

“And then we thought that you were supposed to put this on for hair.”  Jongin added as he pointed at the bottle of shaving cream.

Hyun Mi stared at the two boys for a moment, calming down and relaxing her shoulders. “Oh boys.” She rolled her eyes. “This is shaving cream. You use it to get rid of hair. But you don’t put it on like that, and you don’t play with it. Now I want you both to get undressed and head in the bath tub. You’re getting baths, for the second time today.” Hyun Mi demanded as she grabbed a towel from the closet.

“Okay..” The two said together and started to take off their pajamas.

“What is all this water?” She asked as she laid the towel down on the ground and started wiping everything up.

“We were splashing each other when we were washing our faces..” Kyungsoo mumbled with his head bowed when he took his and Jongin’s onesie.

“Oh and your pajamas are all soaked.. I just washed these too.” Hyun Mi sighed as she got up to put them in the hamper.

“Wait! Can’t you dry them in the dryer?” Kyungsoo asked as the thing chased her out the bathroom.

“I could, but you can just wear different pajamas. You have plenty.” She giggled as she walked over to Kyungsoo’s basket.

“But Nini and I want to wear the same pajamas! And they have to be those.”

“Goodness you’re so demanding after causing trouble. Alright I’ll put them in the dryer.” Just before heading down the stairs to the washroom, she the faucet for the tub to let it run as the two boys waited for it to fill up.

When she returned she found that the boys had just about removed all the shaving cream from their faces and started wiping everything up on the floor.

“Boys!” Hyun Mi nearly had heart attack at how much they weren’t really helping.

“What?” Kyungsoo asked a little scared that she yelped.

“Oh my goodness, just get in the tub, both of you.”

The floor was just smeared around with water and shaving cream rather than it having been picked up like she intended with the towel. The two boys got into the tub and started rubbing away all the shaving cream on their heads.

As they did so, Hyun Mi was able to clear the floor up from all the water and shaving cream. That only left the mirror to fix up.

“How did you even accidentally get toothpaste on here?” She asked as she wet a paper towel and started wiping the mirror.

“I took a bunch and put it in my hand and tried to put it on Nini and I missed and it got on there.” Kyungsoo said in nearly one breath as he dumped a cup of water on his face.

“Oh my goodness.. Well now we know not to do that anymore right? Next time there will be more severe punishments if you do, so don’t do it again. Alright?”

“Yes mom.”

“Yes, Mrs. Do.” Both boys hung their heads in shame as they finished rinsing out the shaving cream.

Hyun Mi had finished cleaning the mirror and helped the boys by washing their hair and giving them a quick scrub with the three-in-one soap.

“And now you boys are going to dry up and wait for me to come back with your pajamas. Alright?” She instructed as the two boys dried up.

“Okay.” They nodded and walked off into Kyungsoo’s bedroom as his mother went downstairs.

“Here, you can use these for underwear—”

“Jongin!” Came Hyun Mi’s voice from downstairs. “Make sure you wear a diaper!”

Jongin froze and his cheeks went red as Kyungsoo stared at him.

“Oh, I think those are in the bathroom closet still.” Kyungsoo thought nothing of it and ran off into the hallway with his towel still wrapped around his shoulders.

Jongin was a little embarrassed especially since he was already four years old and still wetting the bed at night. But Kyungsoo didn’t mind in the slightest, he had his nights every once in a while, too.

Hyun Mi had joined the two back in Kyungsoo’s room after getting their pajamas warm and dry. The two were sitting on Kyungsoo’s bed, reading through a popup book that Kyungsoo could barely read.

Hyun Mi smiled softly at the sight of the two boys sitting in just their undergarments, shoulder to shoulder.

“Alright you two, here you are.” The two boys looked up and jumped off the bed with smiles.

Once they were both dressed, Hyun Mi gathered them in Kyungsoo’s bed.

“Can you read a bedtime story?” Kyungsoo asked with his eyes wide and full of the young innocence he so possessed.

“Not tonight boys. You’ve stayed up way past your bed time, and caused enough trouble.”

“Aw! Please!” He pleaded as his mother pulled the blanket to their chins.

“Not tonight. Maybe tomorrow, okay?” She leaned down and kissed the tops of both their heads.

“Nini’s staying over again tomorrow night?” Kyungsoo smiled in excitement.

“Not that I know of. But I can still read you a bed time story.”

“Oh.. I wanted Nini to be there tomorrow.” Kyungsoo pouted.

“It’s okay, next time I sleep over we can.” Jongin turned over to the boy and smiled.

“Okay!” Kyungsoo smiled back.

“Alright, good night boys.” Hyun Mi chuckled as she got up and turned Kyungsoo’s night light on. “I love you.”

“Love you, too, mommy.” Kyungsoo his side and cuddled into Jongin as he closed his eyes.

“Thanks Mrs. Do.” Jongin said in a soft and warm voice as he turned into Kyungsoo, closing his eyes too.

“You’re very welcome.” She whispered as she turned the light off and closed the door.

As soon as the door was closed, she leaned against the wall and let out a long and pent up sigh. It looked like it would be another long night.


oh hey i actually updated didn't think i would...

it's another small thing, fast and bleh.. idk these aren't coming out how i anticipated, but yolo

tell me what you think please ^^ i'd really appreciate that

and i'm totally down for suggestions btw, tell me a little experience you'd like to see them go through and i'll see what i can do about it :D i've got a couple ideas lined up, but i'm very open to suggestions with this fic thing 

talk to me if you like at these places!

twitta ♥ tumbla  deviantart