When Duty Calls

Nini, let's play!

“Come on, I think it’s this way!” Kyungsoo’s small voice yelled as he dragged little Jongin through the department store.

“I dunno, you said that earlier.” Jongin was getting more and more apprehensive as the two wondered through the store alone.

It was that time of the year, where all mothers and fathers went around the mall shopping like crazy for presents. Kyungsoo’s mom had brought the two little tykes along with her on her shopping spree but a single mom and two hyper active children can go a number of ways.

The last Mama Soo had seen the two boys was while she was in women’s lingerie area, looking for something to treat herself with. She had been so caught up with the lingerie that the absence of her son and his best friend’s small voice hadn’t phased her.

As soon as Mama Soo realized that she was alone, all sorts of panic rose in her. She grabbed her shopping bags and started calling for the two small boys. But the two were already half way across the store looking for a bathroom.

“Soo, we already passed that. We should just go back and ask your mommy to take us.” Jongin brought his free hand to his mouth, trying to hide the anxiety he was feeling being separated from an adult.

“I can do it! Mommy asked me to be reponsible and that’s what I’m doing!” Soo exclaimed in his small childish accent.

Jongin had nothing else to retaliate, so he quieted and let the boy drag him along.

Kyungsoo could hardly read, he understood what certain characters meant, otherwise he couldn’t really read sentences. So he was on the lookout for a sign that had the universal symbol for bathrooms.

“Soo…” Jongin groaned. “My stomach hurttsss.” He complained with a small coo.

“Just hold on a little longer, we’ll find you a bathroom, I promise.” Kyungsoo turned to Jongin a little more worried for his friend.

“Look, Soo! The bathroom!” Jongin exclaimed as he watched a few people and their families walk out hand in hand.

Kyungsoo looked for the sign and grew a wide grin, finally, they had found the bathroom.

“Come on!” Kyungsoo said excitedly as he dragged the boy with him towards the women’s bathroom.

As soon as they pushed the door open they rushed for a stall, not noticing the woman washing her hands or anyone else in the other stalls.

Kyungsoo reached on his tippy-toes to close the door behind the two and tried locking it as Jongin started taking his pants off.

“Wait, the seat’s too high. I can’t reach!” Jongin complained as he turned around to Kyungsoo.

“Hmm.. I’ll help you up.” Kyungsoo said very seriously and got on all fours on the side of toilet. “Try climbing on my back!”

“Okay!”

Jongin did just as the boy asked and climbed up with his small little grunts as he looked for things to grab onto.

“Oh no, I think I’m going to fall in.” Jongin said as he teetered on the toilet seat. He was much too small for the large porcelain bowl.

Kyungsoo got up and quickly held onto Jongin’s hands before the boy teetered anymore into the bowl.

“Thanks.” Jongin smiled at the boy, earning a grin from him in return.

The two waited there for a moment, waiting for Jongin do his business but nothing seemed to happen.

“Uh oh… I can’t poop…” Jongin said with a bit of embarrassment flushing on his chubby cheeks.

“Why not?” Kyungsoo said with a pout.

“I think it’s cause I’m conspatated.”

“What’s conspated?”

“I dunno, mommy said it’s why I can’t poop.” Jongin shrugged.

“Aw man… I don’t know how to help…” Kyungsoo frowned as he looked at Jongin’s stomach.

Jongin went back to focusing on pushing his poop out, squeezing his eyes shut and contorting his small lips.

“Poooooop, oh little poooooop. Come out, come out from Nini’s booty. Come ouuuuuut, come ouuuuuuuuut.” Kyungsoo started singing, earning a shocked expression from almost everyone in the bathroom.

“It’s a little poopy, and it will come ouuuuuut. Into the big toilet it will come ouuuuut.”

Just ask Kyungsoo was about to start his new improvised verse, a few little plops fell into the toilet. Both Jongin and Kyungsoo looked to one another and smiled big goober-like smiles.

“You did it!”

“I did it!” The two cheered as Kyungsoo jumped and Jongin bounced on the seat. “Oh wait, I have to wipe… Mommy or daddy usually wipes, but… Oh no…”

“It’s okay, I’ll hold onto you and you do it yourself! You’ll be all grown up.”

A couple giggles came from the stalls next to them, all the women were enthused by these two young whipper snappers.

“Good idea!”

Just as Kyungsoo wrapped his arms around Jongin’s neck to hold him a woman barged into the bathroom. She whipped her head around frantically looking to see if her children were in there.

A woman who had been washing her hands smiled, understanding the whole situation—two small boys without parental guidance must have escaped when their parent wasn’t looking. When the frantic woman made eye contact with her through the mirror she motioned her head to the stalls.

The frantic woman looked toward the stalls hearing the little voices of her children bustling about the stall. A wash of relief nearly took over her body as she listened to the boys giggle and use the toilet paper dispenser.

She walked up to the stall, a knuckle in as she brought the other one up to knock on the stall. Just as her hand pressed on the stall it slid open (from Kyungsoo not locking it properly) showing the two boys hugging on the toilet as one wiped himself.

“Boys.” Mama Soo said in an authoritative tone to them.

Kyungsoo looked over his shoulder as Jongin stared a bit in horror at Kyungsoo’s mother.

“Hi mommy!” Kyungsoo had the brightest and most innocent smile on his face, as if he and Jongin did nothing wrong.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“I took Nini to the bathroom! He had to poop.” Kyungsoo smiled widely.

“I can see that. But you know you’re not supposed to leave mommy’s sight in public. Ever.” She crossed her arms and raised a brow to them.

“Oh… Yeah… I’m sorry mommy… I knew you were busy so I thought, I thought I could be reponpible and take Nini.”

“Yeah you tried being reponpible alright.” Mama Soo sighed as she walked into the stall and help out the two young boys.

As the family of three walked by the shops full of festive cheer and toys, Jongin had stopped in front of certain one. In the window was teddy bear, tan and brown all over and full of fluffy looking fur.

Jongin was mesmerized by the teddy that was hidden in between two large teddy bears. It was smooshed and hardly recognizable, but Jongin’s eye caught it just in time.

“Would you like a snack Jongin? Jongin?” Mama Soo asked as she turned around to find that Jongin was missing again. Kyungsoo was by her side, looking around for the boy as well.

She looked behind her, spotting the boy with his face and hands pressed up against the window of a toy store.

“See something you like?” She asked a soft tone as she approached the boy.

Jongin leaned back to see where Kyungsoo might have been. He was over at the snack booth getting two bags of crackers for the two of them. Kyungsoo was a big boy, always doing things on his own.

“Yeah. I really like this teddy bear.” Jongin smiled up to his best friend’s mother.

“If I got it for you for Christmas would you like that?”

“No, not for me. I think it’s perfect for Soo…” Jongin looked back at the window and watched all the other boys and girls go about picking toys for their respective friends.

“Hmmm.. How about I get you that teddy bear and you give it Kyungsoo for Christmas?”

“Really?!” Jongin’s face brightened.

“Really.” Mama Soo smiled sweetly and pulled out her purse. “Okay, quickly, let’s go buy it before he finishes buying snacks!” Mama Soo exclaimed in a cheery whisper.

 

“Hey! Where did you two go?” Kyungsoo asked as he put a couple gram crackers in his mouth.

“Oh nowhere far sweetie.” His mother said as the two walked over, Jongin with a large bag from the store they just came out of.

“Oh, okay. I bought us snacks Nini!” Kyungsoo ran up to his best friend and held out the bag of gram crackers he had just gotten.

“Aw thanks!” Jongin took the bag and smiled.

“What’s that bag for?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Oh I asked Jongin to carry a bag for me, it was getting to be too much for me to carry all these.” Mama Soo fabricated again.

“Oh, then let me help too!” Kyungsoo grabbed the handles just where Jongin’s small hands had been holding.

“No! I’ll do it.” Jongin ripped the bag away and hid it from him.

Kyungsoo was taken aback by the sudden action and stood there with his mouth agape. He harrumphed, “Fine.” And stuck up his chin, walking proudly on the other side of his mother.

“Now Kyungsoo, don’t be so upset.” Mama Soo said with a soft voice after noticing how upset Jongin seemed.

Kyungsoo simply kept his chin up and walked ahead toward the exit of the mall.

“Oh boy.” Mama Soo sighed as she looked ahead, too. It seemed like it was going to be a long night of a sassy young boy being mean to his best friend.


Omg suuuuper short update, but I had to do something about one of them needing to be sung to in order to poop

Finally on break and can't wait to work on the five stories i'm working on :------)

Hope you all did well or are doing well on finals or school work! 

Thank you <3