Introducing, Nini

Nini, let's play!

“Soo, sweetie. Come on, just talk to him.” Kyungsoo’s wonderful mother offered her son the phone.

“No! I don’t want to talk to him!” Kyungsoo was faced away from his mother in his small yellow chair as he colored angrily.

“Do Kyungsoo. Get your up and come talk to this boy this instant. He’s very upset you’re not talking to him.” She pressed in a scold.

Kyungsoo simply colored aggressively on his blank paper, using red to very much express his emotions.

Kyungsoo’s mother sighed. “I’m sorry Jongin.. Soo… He’s being unreasonable. But I will see you tonight for Christmas Eve dinner, right? Both you and your family…? Yes?! That’s wonderful. Can you put your mommy back on? Thank you, dear.”

As Kyungsoo’s mother went on in conversation with her best friend, Kyungsoo put his crayon down and stared blankly at his paper.

Jongin was still coming over for dinner? Then that meant he had to see him. He didn’t prepare any kind of present since he was so busy being upset with the boy for the last three days.

Kyungsoo was getting nervous now, his tiny heart beating so fast that he didn’t do anything for anyone coming over; to him, that was kind of rude. He wouldn’t like it if no one got him a present.

Oh, but what if Jongin didn’t get him present? They were, after all, on an unofficial break, so it was entirely possible that Jongin didn’t get him a present. They always got each other a present… It would be a shame if Jongin didn’t.

It was then Kyungsoo decided he would make Jongin a present anyways. He really missed Jongin and found himself moping about the house, trying to find something to do. It was difficult when his favorite person ever wasn’t around anymore. So it was decided. He would stop being mad at Jongin and get over his anger, just so he could have his friend back.

Kyungsoo wasted no time and got to work, he only had seven hours to get this all done. And it had to be perfect.

First, he thought a sculpture was a great idea. He whipped out his array of mixed and matched playdough and worked vigorously to make.. Something.

The first sculpture ended up being an alien with its arms stretched around its head. Kyungsoo didn’t like that so he scrapped it. The next sculpture was going to be Jongin’s face, he thought that would be something nice.

“Aw honey. That’s a wonderful sculpture of a bear. You should make something for Jongin since he’s coming over!” His mother said excitedly as she leaned over to see what her son was doing.

“But this is Jongin.” Kyungsoo said a little defeated.

“Oh. Um.. It looks great sweetie.. Then what are these?” She knelt down on the table beside him and pointed at two round blobs on the face.

“Those are his ears.” Kyungsoo tried to smile, but the way his mother was acting was giving off signs that it wasn’t any good.

“Oh, why don’t you bring them down more? So that they’re on the sides of his face?” She looked over to her son and found him frowning, it always put a dent in her heart to see her son frown.

“You don’t like it.”

“I never said that Soo, I think it’s wonderful—”

Before she even had a chance to cheer her son back up Kyungsoo took the palm of his little hand and smashed the face back into the nothing it had always been.

“Kyungsoo why on earth did you do that?”

“Because it was bad, I’ll make something else.” Kyungsoo hadn’t spared his mother a look as he stuck his tongue out and began focusing on a new project.

Kyungsoo’s mother sighed and stood up, leaving her son to his own destruction.

It took Kyungsoo an entire hour before he gave up completely on the project. There was no way he could make anything from the playdough, so he left his last project on the table and stormed away. The boy was getting very frustrated.

His next idea was to give Jongin some of his own toys. He knew Jongin liked to play a lot with his toy cars and army men, so it was possible that he could decorate his army men on something and present it as a gift. But that was quickly shut down when his mother went into his room to check up on him. She said that it was bad to re-gift, especially when the toys were given as a special present to him before.

Kyungsoo ended up putting the army men away and decided against that idea, since mommy said no.

The next present idea was a drawing.

Kyungsoo spent three solid hours, at his special table, sitting and standing in all kinds of positions as he tried to make the perfect drawing.

Some drawings had a giant dog being walked in the park or playing Frisbee. Another drawing had an alien holding hands with him and Jongin. His personal favorite was the drawing of Kyungsoo standing on top of a pile of gold while he sprinkled it down over Jongin. He thought it was the best looking out of all his drawings.

Kyungsoo’s mother would pop her head in the living room to see what her son was up too, giggling to find his little in the air as he leaned over the table. She brought him a pouch of apple juice and a plate full of chopped pears and strawberries.

“Do you mind if I join you?”

“Sure! You can draw something for Nini, too!”

His mother smiled as she took a piece of paper and began drawing a couple flowers.

“So. Does this mean you’re not upset at Jongin anymore?”

“No.. I’m not.” Kyungsoo sighed as he colored in a particular lovely patch of grass and sipped on his apple juice.

“And why the change in heart?”

“What does that mean?”

“It means why did you change your mind?” She smiled at her son’s cute innocence.

“Oh, because I miss him. And I think that he should get a present too. Because I’d feel bad if I didn’t get a present if I went over his house.” Kyungsoo put a piece of pear in his mouth.

“I see.” She nodded very understanding of the situation. “Well, I’m glad you’re not mad at him anymore. You seemed really lonely, and I’ve heard Jongin cried a couple times because you didn’t want to talk to him.”

Kyungsoo froze. He hated crying, especially when Jongin cried. He had bad experiences when Jongin cried, and he vowed to never see the boy cry again.

“It’s okay, he’ll feel so much better when you talk to him.” She offered her sweet smile to the boy.

Kyungsoo ended up with ten drawings to choose from. His mother told him to choose the one he liked the most, but his favorite was the treasure one. He couldn’t give that to Jongin, he had to give him something more special than that. And he knew just which drawing was perfect for that.

“Mommy! They’re here!” Kyungsoo yelled through the house as he watched a car pull up on the side of the street.

“Kyungsoo, go get the mat please.” His father asked as he walked toward the entrance.

Kyungsoo quickly complied and ran with his small sock covered feet banging about the floor. He went on and took the mat from the closet and placed it on the floor in front of the door. When he finished, the doorbell rang.

Kyungsoo quickly ran from the door and hid behind his father as he went to open it.

Everyone greeted each other in high spirits, Jongin’s mother and father bustling in with food and bags of gifts of their own. As soon as Kyungsoo’s mother walked in to greet everyone, Kyungsoo ran to her and respectively hid behind her.

“Kyungsoo? What’s the matter dear? Why are you so shy all of the sudden?” Jongin’s mother asked in her brassy tone, she was a very eccentric woman.

Kyungsoo simply shook his head and buried his face more into his mother’s leg.

Jongin had been behind his two parents, holding a bag and looking eagerly into the room.

Kyungsoo saw the boy’s familiar cheeks and bolted past everyone, making a mad dash for the boy he so dearly missed. He brought the boy in a bone crushing hug, smooshing the bag in the boy’s hands.

Jongin didn’t even have a moment to process anything that was going on and before he could realize what was going on, Kyungsoo was placing a big fat wet kiss on his lips.

All of the adults looked at the two with shocked faces; Kyungsoo’s mother might have been the only one with a gaping smile.

“I really, really missed you.” Kyungsoo pouted when he let the boy go.

Kyungsoo’s father chuckled, “What was that Speed Speedum?” He asked.

“A kiss!” Kyungsoo exclaimed happily as he turned to the parents.

“And why on earth did you do that?”

“Because that’s what you and mommy do when you haven’t see each other in a while.”

Everyone in the entrance nearly giggled and shook their heads as Jongin’s parents made their way into the house.

“Kyungsoo, mommy and I kiss each other like that when we haven’t seen each other in a while because we love each other.”

“But I love Nini.”

Jongin’s father snorted. “Nice.”

“Uh, you see, Kyungsoo when two people love each other—”

“Okay! That’s enough.” Kyungsoo’s mother butted in and started leading her husband inside the house. “They’re just kid’s honey. We’re not giving them the conversation of the birds and bees right now. Just let them be kids.”

“But they’re boys—”

“Not!” Her voice went an octave or two higher. “Important right now. Tonight is about letting the boy’s rekindle their friendship. Now shut up and get the alcohol and kimchi.” She said threateningly through her teeth.

Dinner had gone by smoothly. The parents were occupied talking about their wonderfully dull and super busy work lives (minus Kyungsoo’s mother, being an at home mom).

Kyungsoo and Jongin had spent most of the dinner sitting next to each other flinging pickled radishes and pieces of fish at each other. Somehow it was discreet enough for no one to pick up on. Especially since both boys were done eating not even ten minutes in. After that they immediately went to play in the living room.

It was quite obvious how much the two boys missed each other, the way they would blow cars up shoulder to shoulder, share their cookies every time they snuck one from the kitchen and especially the way Jongin would stare at Kyungsoo’s smile.

Oops. That was a personal trait.

One of Jongin’s most favoritest things in the world was Kyungsoo’s smile.

“Here, here, here, here!” Kyungsoo held his present in Jongin’s face. Everyone had gathered in the living room to open the presents they had brought over.

Kyungsoo had been holding out his drawing that he made specially.

Jongin took it with a great big smile. His smile growing even brighter when he looked the picture over, eyes wide with endearment.

“Ahhhhh! Soo I love it! Thank you so much.” Jongin squeaked in his small voice. But that was all he did. He just smiled and stared at the picture. It was a picture of Jongin with teddy bear ears and Kyungsoo with a penguin beak and bow tie, both of them were holding hands and smiling brightly in what seemed to be a beautiful meadow.

Kyungsoo didn’t like Jongin’s reaction. So he panicked and told the boy to “wait right there” as he ran off.

Everyone in the room was completely baffled as the little feet ran off and circled the house with great speed. The boy returned extremely out of breath and held out his hands full of other things he was going to present as more gifts.

In his left hand was a pile of the cookies his mother had made earlier in the day and in the other hand was the playdough design he last left on the table. It was a heart with a bunch of little holes pressed into it as a ‘pretty’ design because Kyungsoo really had no idea of what to do with it.

“What’s all this?” Jongin asked as his smile began to grow once again.

“I-It’s more of your present.”

“Kyungsoo.” His mother said to pull the boy back.

“I-It is!”

It really seemed as if anything Kyungsoo would do for the boy wasn’t enough, and that was really starting to worry him.

“Thank you so much Soo!” Jongin exclaimed even more excited, his cheeks tinting with red.

“D-Do.. Do you like it?”

“I love it, thank you sosososososo much!”

Kyungsoo smiled slightly, feeling all sorts of terrible that he didn’t get the boy a new toy from the store, or pajamas of their favorite television show.

“Here, now you have to open mine.” Jongin held out the decorative bag he had crushed between the two of them earlier.

Kyungsoo was actually very surprised to see that the bag was meant for him. He was terribly fine just giving Jongin something, a way for him to apologize for how stupid he was.

Kyungsoo took the paper in the bag out and stared at the fluffy top of a lightly brown bear. He pulled out the teddy bear and stared in complete awe at its cute nose and perfect size. It was almost the size of his torso, making it the perfect hugging toy.

He gasped after a moment. “It’s so beautiful… This is too much.. I feel bad because, because I only made you a drawing.. I’m sorry Nini…”

“No! It’s okay! I love it so much, I really love that I look like the teddy bear.” Jongin said enthusiastically.

“Really?”

“Yeah, really! It’s why I wouldn’t let you hold the bag. Because your present was in it an I didn’t want you to see it.” Jongin’s cheeks were pink as he swayed front to back on his feet.

Kyungsoo looked down, his cheeks bright with all the happiness pouring from his body. And also the mortification of making a dumb accusation towards his best friend.

That was when it suddenly hit Kyungsoo what he should name his new teddy bear.

“Nini.” He said with the utmost confidence.

“What?”

“No, that’s what I’m going to name him. Nini.” Kyungsoo held up the teddy bear and smiled brightly at it. “I’m naming it after the bestest person in the world.”



Omffffffg I forgot i wanted to make this update a sort of christmas special! So i whipped this up and finally introduced one of the main characters. Nini~

Four chapters in and they kissed already?!??! Damn things are moving fast

jk they're just kids, it's all super innocent and doesn't mean anything to them right now. they just know they love each other blindly and dearly and don't know they were meant for each other since birth.

I made the drawing up top and I'm almost certain that's how i want Nini to look. Went through a couple trial and errors before that one came out. But I'll still be working on it. Hopefully... Should've probably scanned the pic instead of taken it with my phone.. maybe i'll do that later.. So i edited it to look a little better in lighting bc my lighting was terrible...

Gonna be swamped next semester and I regret everything 

Hope you liked it!