The Misadventures of Cookies

Nini, let's play!

“Staaaand back! You unworthy Slime” Came the booming authority of a deceptive tone.

“You’ll never catch me alive!”

“Nini! Nooooo, we’re space people! Not cops and robbers!”

“Oh…” The small boy chuckled, “That’s right, I forgot.” He nodded and spun around in a circle on the ball of his foot.

“My laser slime powers are too powerfullest for you, Oh-Stinkey-Brain!”

The other small boy feigned a gasp, “Only my mommy can call me that! Take that you pile of goo!”

With that the boy jumped from the top of the couch, his red blanket (serving as his cape) flying out and cereal box of a helmet tumbling off. The boy landed on Nini’s side, tackling him to the ground.

“Nooooo!” Nini yelled in horror, but not really meaning a word of it.

“And that!” The boy stood up and held a cardboard laser gun in Nini’s face, making stereotypical noises of a galactic gun.

Nini scrambled to his feet with the largest grin upon his face. “Ah! You shot me… But my healing powers are no match for you Captain Soo! My slime heals as soon as its hit!” He laughed a boisterous laugh, running behind the couch and pretending to be shot in the gut.

“But Nini, that’s unfair! You have to die somehow!” Soo stomped a foot and pouted as the boy hid.

“…Hmm, okay!” The boy easily complied and fell to the ground.

“Nini?” Soo asked after the boy went silent. “…Nini?” He asked again with a little more worry as he made his way behind the couch.

“Jonginnie?” He asked as he turned the corner and noticed the small familiar figure of his best friend lying on the ground.

Soo slowly made his way over, unsure as to why Jonginnie was like that. He was nervous that Nini might be having of his “episodes” again.

“BOO!” Screamed the lying boy as he sat up.

Soo shrieked so loudly that his mother was more alert to the two four year old’s rough housing. She had been in the kitchen preparing supper.

Nini laughed at the boy’s scared face. “Got cha! But I’m dead since you shot me so many times.”

The slight horrified look on Soo’s face went away once he process the situation, finally. Instead, a lovely smile spread across his small bright cheeks. “Haha! Oh noooo! What’s this?! I’m losing control over my hands!” Soo pretended to yell as his hands faced his laser gun toward his chest. “Gah!” He yelped after making the sound of the gun shooting at his chest. “Oh noooooooo!” And he fell to the ground right beside Jonginnie.

“Noooo! You were supposed to live on!” Nini said with one eye opened and the other closed.

“Yeah but your slime got on me and took control of me. Besides, I couldn’t just let my best friend die and not go with him!” The boy smiled so terribly cheerily to the warm boy next to him.

The two laid there smiling, thanking each other for existing in the other’s life—even if they hadn’t said it physically.

“Mmmm, do you smell that?” Soo said after taking in a large breath of air.

“Cookies!” The two whispered in unison.

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” Soo said when the two sat up.

“Cookies for breakfast!” Nini giggled to himself, he was always giggly.

“Noooo!” Soo laughed, but quite enjoying the idea.

“Then what?”

“Let us retrieve the gold from the Cave of Smells!”

Nini’s face lit up and the two were off their bottoms and making their way toward the kitchen.

But their world was turned entirely around.

The walls were no longer flat and white, but dark and bumpy as if they were into the depths of a cave. Stalagmite and stalactite came from the ceiling and the bottom floor, the dim lighting barely shining enough to show them the way.

Soo wrapped his cape around his waist and immediately became a small Indiana Jones. Nini turning into Short Nini, was following nervously as the sidekick to Soo Jones, playing his part well in the dark and creepy halls of the Cave of Smells.

“What’s that smell?” Soo whispered, his voice bouncing off the walls.

“It’s the gold! I think it’s this way!” Nini pointed out as the two walked through the cavernous halls.

“Wait!” Said Soo Jones with quick caution. “I think the Momma Cave Bear is in here.. We have to be careful!” He whispered loudly as the two hid behind the corner of the kitchen doorway.

“There she is!” Whispered Nini very loudly and the two boys turned to coward.

“Wait, wait! I think she’s leaving!” Soo Jones said as his mother stalked out of the kitchen, leaving the two boys to intently watch their surroundings. “The coast’s clear. Come on! But on your tippy toes!” Soo Jones whispered almost to a low mumble, and the two scrambled into the kitchen.

“Up there! The pile of gold!” Short Nini exclaimed as he pointed to the top of a rocky perch.

Soo Jones gasped, “Great job Nini! Now we just have to climb to get to the top…”

“How about this?” Short Nini had found a small stool near the pantry and pointed it out.

“Perfect!” Soo Jones said a little too loudly and caused the Momma Cave Bear to call out to her son.

“Kyungsoo? Are you in the kitchen?” Called his mother from the room she was in, she had been taking a call from her friend.

But Soo Jones and Short Nini were too preoccupied with taking the stool and placing it near the island counter where the freshly baked cookies laid. Short Nini was on the lookout for Momma Cave Bear, while Soo Jones reached to the top of the island counter with every inch of his small little feet.

“Almost… There..” He grumbled as his tongue stuck out to the side.

“Hurry!” Whispered Short Nini in a rush, he was sure Momma Cave Bear was coming back.

“Got them!” Soo Jones said excitedly and picked half of the cookies that had been just freshly baked and stuffed them into the basket of his shirt.

The two giggling boys had long scrambled off before Momma Cave Bear went back into the kitchen to check up on dinner. In fact, she hadn’t even thought to check up on her son and his best friend for at least ten minutes. But that was only when she noticed half of the chocolate chip cookies she made were missing.

Momma Cave Bear gasped and muttered under her breath, “Kyungsoo..” She then yelled in a firm manner to the two who were responsible for the disappearance of her cookies. “Boys!”

The two boys had somehow escaped upstairs without making a sound despite their mouths being full of giggles. They were in Kyungsoo’s room, hiding in the fort the two had built earlier in the day. They shared the cookies and fed each other—making sure to get the chocolate all over each other’s noses and mouths. They were inseparable, even when Kyungsoo’s mother yelled up at them—which made them giggle even harder.

“Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin, get your bottoms down here!” Kyungsoo’s mother had yelled up at them from the bottom of the stairs and the two boys froze.

“Oh no..” Jongin whispered with a bit of worry.

“We should do what she says…” Kyungsoo whispered back just as apprehensive.

The two boys trudged out of Kyungsoo’s room and to the top of the stairs, waiting for further instruction from his mother.

Kyungsoo’s mother instead made a finger beckon the two down. The boys slowly made their way down, their heads hung and cheeks rosy with embarrassment.

“Did the two of you eat the cookies I just made?” Came Soo’s mother’s strict voice.

The two small children were so embarrassed that they couldn’t even answer properly. Instead, they kept their noses to the ground and twiddled at the hems of their shirts.

“Boys?” She drew out.

“Yes..” Kyungsoo mumbled so very softly.

“I’m sorry, what was that?” His mother crossed her arms on her chest.

Kyungsoo looked to Jongin for reassurance, he was very torn between lying and telling the truth to his mother. But Jongin nodded his head toward Kyungsoo, his soft features knowing that he should tell the truth.

Kyungsoo looked up at his mother and nodded his head reluctantly.

“Ah. I see.” She pursed her lips and nodded her head slowly. “Well. As punishment, you boys will clean the living room this instant. Jongin put your toys in your bag and Kyungsoo bring your stuff back up to your room.”

The two boys relaxed their shoulders and let out the breaths they had been holding in. They immediately got to work, scrambling to the living room with a shimmer of joy. Kyungsoo’s mother had given them a forgiving punishment.

“And no dessert!” She yelled after the two. “Goodness me. Those two never quit.. Still, I’m glad they told the truth.” She muttered to herself as she smiled at the two boys bustling out in the living room; yelling and grinning at each other to get their belongings cleaned up.

“Are you talking to yourself again Hyun Mi?” Came the low voice of the man entering through the front door.

“Oh goodness, Joon! You scared me!” Hyun Mi turned around and smiled at her husband.

“What’s going on in here?” Joon smiled as he watched the bustling boys laugh and giggle as they picked their things up.

“Well, I gave them a punishment for eating most of the cookies I made, but it seems as if it wasn’t a punishment at all.” Hyun Mi smiled and leaned into her husband’s side.

“Daddy!” Kyungsoo shrieked as soon as he saw his father. With hands full of cardboard lasers and Legos he charged toward his father and wrapped his legs in a bone crushing hug.

“Oof! Kyungsoo, you dropped everything.” Joon sighed out.

“Heehee, hi daddy.” Kyungsoo looked up him with the widest smile he could muster.

“Hey shrimp, how you doing?” His father smiled just as brightly back, placing his hand on top of Kyungsoo’s head.

“Great! Nini and I are picking up our toys.”

“Is that so?” Joon tousled Kyungsoo’s fluffy locks. “Why hello there Jongin, you’re staying over for another sleepover tonight?”

“Yup!” Jongin smiled from just a little ways from the family.

“And it seems the two of you were indulging yourselves in cookies.” Joon smirked this time, knowing he caught the two red handed. It was written all over their faces—literally.

“Y-Yes… We did…” Kyungsoo said while he backed away next to Jongin, cheeks rosy.

“Alright! How many did you take?!” His father said with excitement, almost cheering the two boys on as he crouched to their level.

“I dunno, like ten hundred!” Kyungsoo said with an excitable voice, him and Jongin brightening back up.

“Ten hundred whoa! That’s one too many for me—”

“Ahem.” Came the throat clearing of the mother behind.

“—Uh, I mean.. You should know better than to steal cookies. Especially before dinner.” Joon changed his voice to a lower octave, to seem more authoritative. “Now go finish your punishment. Off with you two!”

Joon stood up and watched as the two small boys went back to their cleaning. When he turned around to his wife he was met with her sharp glare and grimace, arms firmly crossed against her chest.

“What?” He asked in almost a snooty way.  

“You can’t encourage them like that Joon. You’ve got to stop doing that.”

“Oh stop it Hyun Mi, let the kids have a little fun. You’re always pestering them and making them so robotic! Let them have adventures!”

“I do let them have adventures, all the time! During play time!”

“I meant real adventures, Hyun Mi.”

“But cookies before dinner?!”

“Okay, okay. You’re right. I’ll lay low on the encouragement… But you shouldn’t be so hard them!”

“I was hardly hard at all. I just told them to pick their things up and no dessert.”

“No dessert?! You monster!” Joon picked up his work bag and feigned a fake gasp.

“Oh shush. Sometimes I wonder who’s the real kid here.”

Joon made his bottom lip jut out into a pout.

“This is exactly what I mean.” Hyun Mi rolled her eyes and began pushing her husband up the stairs so he could change while she checked up on dinner. “Dinner will be ready in ten.”

“Be down in a bit to help!” He yelled down to her.

“Mrs. Do?” Came a soft and small voice from just below her.

“What it is Jongin?” She asked kindly.

“I don’t have to go home early, do I?” The boy’s brows were furrowed oh so very slightly, Kyungsoo was just next to the arm of couch, his eyes large and watchful.

“Oh, no little one.” She giggled slightly. “Why would you think that?”

“Because Soo and I stole cookies when we weren’t supposed to…” Jongin looked down, his cheeks red with embarrassment.

“No no, you’re not going home early Jongin.”

Jongin smiled with a release of breath, “Great!” And he ran off to Kyungsoo, holding on to his hand as they whispered giggles to one another.

“Goodness, they’re just like little girls. Can’t separate them.”


Oooookay, so there's the first little drabble like thing... It's short, and rather fast paced.. Yeah.. But I really just wanted to get something up. It was gonna drive me crazy if I didn't finish the first chapter.

I had all these ideas and I was so pumped for this, but then I lost the drive, so updates on this will just be slow lol

But most of the drabbles will probably be this small in length and what not.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this though!