Chapter 06

-52 Degrees

"Junhyung?" she called out hesitantly.  He had to be there...he couldn't have climbed out the window, could he?

She peeked outside but saw no sign of a drunken man in the streets.

Impossible.  He had to be...

Jihae crawled over the bed and looked on the floor of the other side and relaxed when she saw him on the ground like a dead man.

Although there was really no reason for her to take care of him or be nice to him when the choice of being so pathetic was clearly his, she walked over to the other side and hoisted him up with all of her strength.  Who knew that such an unmuscular man could be so heavy?  And who knew that drunk men could be so strong?

She hissed when her body landed on his and his arms wrapped around her tightly.  Struggling was a waste of time, she realized after several minutes of trying, and she soon gave in by resting her head on his chest and tuned into the steadily increased volume of the rain.  With her eyes closed, she could imagine seeing and feeling every drop that fell.  And with each drop, she became closer to a lie she had been hiding inside of her.

 

"AJ!  Wait!" she called out with a folder over her head to shield herself from the heavy drops of rain.

The boy ahead of her merely skipped on, not caring about his uniform and, once in awhile, threw a teasing glance at her to make sure that she was still in sight.

They were skipping school again as a part of some unofficial hobby of theirs.

Why were they skipping school?

Jihae looked up at the clouds and closed her eyes to let the rain wash her face.  She enjoyed these days the most

For others, rain could be a disaster.  It could be annoying.  An inconvenience.  But to AJ and Jihae, they saw it as an opportunity.  An opportunity to do nothing special and just enjoy spending time with each other.  Being partners in crime, as they liked to put it.

A smile crept its way on her face as she remembered everything.  The days when she was so innocent, naïve and bubbly were only a number years back, yet they seemed so far away.

They peeked in the window, the garage, the backyard—everywhere—to make sure that the coast was clear.

With a smirk, AJ glanced over his shoulder and waved her in.  No one was home and with the renovation finished, his house was the best place they could think of for that day’s rainy outing.

She bit her lip and clung tightly to the back of his shirt, whispering timidly, “Are you sure this is okay?”

“It’s fine!” he replied in a confident, loud voice to show that no one was home.

 

“Whee~!” Jihae giggled and bounced herself happily on AJ’s bed and ran around his room to observe everything that her eyes would land on.

It was her first time in his room despite being at his house at least once a week and she loved it.  To Jihae, she was not in a guy’s room, but simply her best friend’s room.  It was refreshing nevertheless.

AJ laughed each time she poked at something and ran away as if the object would come to life and eat her. 

After several minutes of observing each item in his room and even re-observing some things that interested her the most, a large hand grabbed hers and tugged.

It soon dawned on her that she had fallen on top of him and all words were lost.  Yet no matter how flustered she became, her body remained frozen.

“You…your face is getting kinda…um…you know…close…” she rambled as the feathery blows of his breathing brushed against her now skin.

He said nothing with words and only gazed adoringly at her as his hand carefully traced her burning cheeks and jawline.

It nearly killed her when it finally sunk in that his lips had already pressed against hers in a slow first kiss.

 

God, what was the point of that?

She let out a long sigh, trying to match Junhyung’s heavy exhale and remembered her kiss with Kikwang only a few hours ago.

Jihae opened her eyes and scowled for a split second.

Junhyung was the most stubborn person in the world in his sleep, but as soon as his eyes opened, he became spineless.  Jihae, however, did not complain about being so tightly trapped in his arms as she was.

Her eyes moved to the open window and she snuggled against him instinctively.  It was nice to have some warmth.

I'll forget, she thought.  I'll burn him out of my damn mind if I have to.  And if...

Suddenly, her eyes opened and she looked up at Junhyung.  Even Jihae did not understand what she was about to do...

But all thoughts were unnecessary if she wanted to fool even herself.  And with that, she landed her eyes on a sleeping Junhyung's lips, held her breath to ignore the mixed smell of wine and cigarettes, and leaned in.

An awkward sound between a grunt and a squeal escape Junhyung's throat and he awakened to the pleasant surprise of Jihae being squeezed in his arms.

What the hell happened?

Without a word, he let her go and, in fact, pushed her off.

For a second, she merely sat by him and stared as he pretended to fall back asleep.

So this was what rejection felt like. 

She smirked at the feeling she'd been best friends with for too long.

With his back turned to her, however, Junhyung reached up to touch his lips and gasped like a little school girl.

She kissed him!

A giggle left her lips and Jihae realized that Junhyung was not mad, but merely shocked.

"Surprised?" she whispered, snuggling up to him once more.

And now she's snuggling!  He was definitely drunk.

Though half of his strength had already left him, Junhyung once again pushed her off.  But , Jihae just had to nuzzle her nose against his neck.  He was a dead man.

But drunk fantasy or not, he didn't care.

Junhyung smiled as he her hair.  At least...she was finally warming up to him.

Of course, that was nowhere near being the right reason for Jihae to suddenly become even more girly in front of him.

Angry tears stung the lining of her eyes as she remembered AJ her hair in the same manner whenever she fell asleep against him on a bus ride to school and her arms immediately tightened around Junhyung's torso as though it would pull the tears back.

this.  No guy was going to rule her mind. 

It had taken her long enough to forget him and she refused to let him control her again.

Falling in love with Junhyung was the last thing she wanted to end up doing, but if that helped, then so be it.

Oblivious to Jihae's ridiculous mental rants and plans, Junhyung fell asleep, only assuming that Jihae felt the need to compensate him for the pain she caused earlier by leaving with Kikwang.

He never chose to be so weak, and honestly, he beat himself up for each time Jihae pulled him down the way she did, but as he looked down at Jihae sleeping peacefully in his arms, he could only kiss her forehead and feel that it was worth it.

Tomorrow will be the last of you.