Chapter 04

-52 Degrees

"What the hell do you think you're doing, Lee Kikwang?!" Jihae asked through gritted teeth.

Without turning back, Kikwang chuckled and mocked her, "Using full names, are we?  I'm scared."

Back in the office, Junhyung could only stand and watch the two leave together.

Had they been dating behind his back?  Was this their lover's quarrel in the short amount of time that he left them alone?  Why wasn't Jihae making an attempt to run back to him to explain that it wasn't what it looked like?  To at least attempt convincing him that she was not the cheating type?

The questions that filled his mind began to have an effect on the room, making it hot and stuffy.

It was unlike her to show any emotion other than false happiness, but in one day, she had expressed annoyance, anger, worry and (almost) fear--half of those directed towards the person who she was the coldest to and the other half towards someone who became her "friend" only a month ago when he applied to be a bartender.

Just something about Kikwang seemed to loosen her tightly knotted insides as though her cruel self was not an impossible tangled mess, but a mere present bow that needed a tug to release.  This he showed without trying even half as much as Junhyung did and without being as cautious or considerate.

But maybe that was why.  To Kikwang, everything was easy--or at least seemed that way.

The second her eyes met with Junhyung's was the second she showed him the one thing she felt the most towards him.  Disgust.

To Kikwang, her distracted stare at Junhyung's pitiful expression was an advantage.  No time was wasted when he pulled her on to his motorcycle, smiling even more when she did not give a word of protest but in fact strapped on her own helmet.

She was ready to get the hell away from there.




For someone who was extremely light on his feet and always zipping around people during the club's Lovesick Sundays, he rode properly on his black Yamaha and did not drive in crazy loops around people as Jihae had expected.

But as she began to fall asleep against his back from the smooth ride, Kikwang came to a stop and gave her helmet a hearty knock.

"Am I comfortable?" he asked with a childlike chuckle.

Jihae smiled in response to the innocence of his tone.

It was her first smile all day and her first genuine smile since their night together.

But it was a shame that the smile remained hidden under the tinted glass of the helmet.

If not for the gentle pat on her clasped hands, Jihae would not have remembered that she was still holding on to him.  A sigh escaped Kikwang's lips and he took hold of her hands as he began to dismount from the bike when he received no response.

"You must love...my..." he stopped in midsentence and stared in awe as Jihae released her hair from the helmet and hairband, shaking it wildly and letting it fall to her shoulders in gentle waves.

As though she did nothing out of the ordinary, the young woman raised an eyebrow and plainly asked, "What?"




The place was cozy and fit for one person--which was all Kikwang really needed.

Her drunken one-night stand with him did not leave any memories of his home, so everything from the ceiling to the faucet gave a new, undiscovered feeling to Jihae.

Not a single move escaped Kikwang's sight as he watched her look around without moving an inch from the doorway.

Amusing.

He smiled to himself and watched as she carefully took one step to observe even an ordinary black and red digital clock above the light switch with the gleaming eyes of a child, yet with the cautiousness and reserved outer shell of a frightened old lady.

A bored sigh brought him out of his thoughts and he soon realized that Jihae stared at him with focused eyes and cross arms.

"Why did you bring me here?" Jihae snapped.

Defensive and ruthless Jihae had returned and Kikwang could only wish that she gave him a little more time to think of why he really did bring her to his apartment.

"I...um..." he began lamely.

An eyebrow was raised in expectancy.

The atmosphere seemed unnecessarily tense, and Kikwang did not like it one bit.  But he had to find out.

Meanwhile, Jihae was losing patience at the rate of a burning match.  Something inside told her that he was being serious about whatever the hell was going on in his mind, but if he wasn't going to spit it out, she had no reason to stay.

It surprised her when Kikwang suddenly placed a placed a hand on either side of her and leaned in, leaving barely two inches between their faces and his lips.

In a low voice, he asked, "You really...don't...remember me?"

And for just a split second, Jihae felt her heart skip a familiar beat.