Chapter 16

Light

💡

“Omo.” Kai uttered.

“What?” She asked.

“It’s pouring outside.” He replied.

“Hey kids.” A policeman called. “You can borrow my umbrella if you want. Just return it here tomorrow.”

“Thank you… but what about you?” She asked.

“I’ll be here all night. It will stop raining by then. Now go. I’m a father myself so I know how he must feel right now.”

“Thank you, ahjussi.” They both said and bowed to him as a sign of gratitude.

 Kai opened the umbrella as he opens the door to the wet outdoors.

“Let’s go!” Kai shouted and pulled _____ closer to him, making sure she won’t get drenched in the rain.

(Making sure that _____ won’t get wet, he positioned the umbrella closer to her – getting himself wet from the rain instead of her.)

The two ran as if they were being chased by a wild boar.

“_____!” Kai giddily called as they ran.

“Ung?”

“This is my first time!” He loudly said, beating the sound of the rain and its thunder.

“First time for what?”

“To run with a girl under the rain.”  

Once they reached the entrance of the hospital, Kai closed the umbrella and shook off the remaining droplets from it.

“Kai.” She called.

“Yes?”

“This is my first time too.”

“To run under the rain with a man?” He asked with a chuckle.

_____ shook her head. “This is my first date.” She corrected with a smile. “Thank you.”

Kai messed up her hair again. “I should be the one thanking you.” He said with sincerity. “I had a great time. We should help another kid find her mom again next time” He laughingly added.

_____ laughed with him. “We should.” She replied, going along with his joke.

“Let’s go. We can’t let your father go crazy.” He reminded her.

“Ung.”

With Kai as her guide, _____ returned to her warm room safely.

“_____!” Her father yelled. “Where have you been?! You had me worried sick!”

“I’m fine, appa. Calm down. Your blood pressure might rise.”

“It’s already as high as the 63 building! Aigoo! What took you and Chanyeol so long to get back here?”

“Actually…”

“I should introduce myself properly next time… when he’s not about to kill me.” Kai told himself with a sigh as he opened the borrowed umbrella again.

“Kim Jongin.” Someone called him from behind.

Kai turned around at the call of his name.

“Hyung?”