002

Complicated Complications
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Where's meimei(sister)?" Kris asked Minhyuk as he walked down the stairs.
"Isn't she still asleep? I haven't seen her." Minhyuk replied as he placed two plates of breakfast onto the table.
"She wasn't in her room when I went in earlier though." Kris explained. "It's weird, she don't usually wake up early..." 
Minhyuk took out his phone and dialled her number. The call was rejected and he received a text.

I'm already on my way to school. Don't bother looking for me. I don't want to see that person.

"Just look at our precious... It's all your fault!" Minhyuk tossed the phone over to Kris.
"Hyung... I didn't do anything!" He stuffed a piece into his mouth. "You're still driving me to school right?" 
Minhyuk tossed the car keys to Kris. "I only serve my precious."
"Hyung! I don't have a korean licence!" Kris whined.

***** *****

Urgh. Bother. I woke up earlier than usual. It's only 6 am in the morning and I have two over hours before school starts. My determination to avoid him is certain and I'll make him regret bullying others. Dragging my body off comfy, I make way to the wardrobe and took out my school uniform. I then crept to the bathroom and took a refreshing shower.

Walking down the street, I see adults making their way to work. Everybody's going on with their fast paced lifestyle. And I'm here strolling in the paths of the nearby park. I set by one of the benches and plugged in my earphones, enjoying the cool breeze and the view of the river.
I actually fell asleep for half an hour unnoticed by anyone. Time sure pass slowly when I'm all bored. I took out my phone and opened the sns app to the chat. Should I start the conversation again? Will he find me bothersome? It's early in the morning, what if he's still sleeping?  were the thoughts I had before exiting the application. Gazing at the scenery for a long while, I decided to make way to have my breakfast. Still new to my current school, I took a cab telling the driver to stop at the eateries near my school.

I alighted the cab, made way to the row of shops nearby. I entered a café. It was furnished with woodcraft and the aroma of coffee beans floated throughout the small place. I placed my school bag on a seat at the corner of the glass windows and went to the front of the cashier where the blackboard menu was, unable to decide on what to have.

"Haksaeng(student), what would like to have?" a ajumma called out to me. 
"I'm not sure..." I replied her.
"Why not try this strawberry shortcake? It's one of our favourites." she suggested. 
"Okay..."
"Would you like it to be a set? It'll be ₩9000 A cake and drink."
Ji Hye nodded. "Okay. I would like to have 2 rolls of kimbap too. That'll be take away."
"That'll be ₩12000 in total." The ajumma prepared a tray with my orders.
I almost cursed out loud. Inside my wallet lied only 3 pieces of notes: two 5000 won and one 1000 won. Damn the taxi fare.
"Sajangnim, I'll do without one roll of kimbap. I'm short of 1000 won." I said, embarrassed, placing the two green notes onto the counter.
"It's okay dear, it's service. Don't skip your meals. Look at you, you're so skinny!" the ajumma gave me a benevolent smile.
Who says... I'm not.  "I'll pay you back tomorrow." I sincerely told her.
She waved "It's okay, come by often!"
I nodded with a soft thanks and went back to my seat. I finished my cake and lay down on my left arm. My finger swirled round the rim of the coffee cup. The sweetness on my tongue, but the bitterness within just can't be taken away. That's how I feel for ignoring someone I love. We both get hurt, but that's how we learn to cherish each other more.

***** *****

Luhan entered the cafe and ordered a cup of coffee. He loved the coffee here. The beans doesn't have a cheap bitter taste. After paying his order, he saw a familiar figure with their school's uniform lying on the table. He walked over and sat with her. What made her so tired out? A laugh left his lips. His eyes on her throughout his drink.

"Ya, aren't you going to school? It's already 8.30am." Luhan shook Ji Hye slightly by the shoulder.
"bu yao fan wo...(don't disturb me in chinese)" Ji Hye waved him away.
Ouh? You knew chinese? "You're late for school!" He whispered into her ear.
By that, Ji Hye eye shot wide open. She was startled by the flawless face staring back at her up close.

"Neon n-nugu ya?!" Ji Hye stuttered as she stood up immediately.
"Let's go to school now. It's already 8.15am, unless you want to be late, continue sleeping then." Luhan pat her head before turning towards the exit.
"Ya! Jam kkan man!" Ji Hye ran out after him. "Are you my sunbae?" Ji Hye looked up at him.
"What do you think? You just used banmal(informal tone)." Luhan crossed his arms acting displeased. 
"Mian-ah, joesonghamnida." Ji Hye bowed slightly.
Luhan chuckled slightly. "It's okay, I'm just joking. I don't really care about those formalities either. I'm Luhan, from year 3."
Oh... Same year as Oppa. "Luhan? Are you chinese? Ni hao(hello)." Ji Hye smiled at him.
"Yup, I'm chinese. Are you chinese too? What's your name?" Luhan asked.
"I'm someone insignificant from year 2. Haha, it's not really important to know my name. Thanks for waking me up." Ji Hye turned and walked to her left.
"Hey, that is the way to school." Luhan pointed at the other direction. "Aren't you going to school?"
"Sunbaenim, can you lead me? I don't know the way." Ji Hye gave a sheepish grin.
"Just call me Luhan. On one condition, tell me your name. Nobody is insignificant in the world. Everyone has their own value. That includes you." he gave her a pat on the shoulder.
Ji Hye thought for a moment, "I'll tell you when we reach the school gates."

"I'm Jin Ji Hye. Year 2. I think I can be considered chinese, I'm mixed Korean and Canadian chinese. That's all the answers to your question. Bye." Ji Hye bowed and sped walk to her class block.

--------------------


It's finally lunch break and Ji Hye took out her kimbap and walked around the school, looking for a place where she could have her meal without having the need to go to the cafeteria. She went up the fifth storey and she was faced with a door. Twisting the door knob, she found what most Korean high school would have - an isolated rooftop garden. No one would even take a step here. It looks pretty decent, with potted plants and a few shady trees.

Ji Hye walked to the tree furthest from the door and sat under its shade. She closes her eyes and enjoyed the mild breeze.

"What are you doing here?"

Ji Hye was jolt awake by the voice. She looked around her, but saw no one.

"Ya, you blind? Can't you even see that the door is closed?"

"Who are you? This is the school compound and I'm a student here, I'm definitely allowed access here." Ji Hye replied harshly.

"You've disturbed my nap and you don't even know where I'm at."

Ji Hye trailed the voice to realise there's someone lying at the back of the tree. "Are you kidding me? Don't you have enough sleep in class?"

Please log in to read the full chapter