.four

When Life Gives You Choi Seungcheol

 

Today marks the first day of my so-called punishment. Right as gym class ended, I packed my belongings and headed straight back to class.

By this time, the last few students were clearing out of the classroom, and the place was soon empty with the exception of our homeroom teacher. I approached Mr.Park, greeting him before setting my bag down on an empty desk.

“Ahri! Right on time.” He began, shoving some papers into his bag. “The principal explained everything to me.”

I winced, momentarily glancing away to hide the slightly ashamed look in my eyes. It’s embarrassing and all, but at least I won’t have to do the explaining anymore.

“Anyways, here’s your work for today.” He spoke, handing me a stack of worksheets. “Grade as many as you can, and you may leave in an hour.”

I nod, taking the load of papers before delivering them to my desk.

“And don’t forget to shut the door when you leave.” Mr. Park announced as he passed the door frame.

“Yes sir, see you tomorrow.” I bowed at him.

 

The classroom is empty again. I sunk into my chair, staring at the papers in front before letting out a deep sigh. Time to get started.

I picked up the answer key, studying it a few times while attempting to grade the first worksheet. Thankfully, everything is in multiple choice format, and I managed to finish the first few pages rather easily.

Yet just as I started getting the hang of things, my focus is suddenly interrupted by a bunch of noises coming from outside the window. I paused my writing, growing more curious as the noises became louder.

I made my way towards the window and slowly peeked down at the source of the noise. However, a smile crept on my face as soon as I realize what it is.

Seungcheol and his teammates are gathered around the basketball court below, and it looks like they’re preparing for today’s practice.

My eyes were instantly fixed on Seungcheol, who began shouting commands to the guys in front of him. I could only stare at amazement, considering how different Seungcheol acts whenever a basketball is around. Unlike his usual behavior around me, this side of him still baffles me, yet at the same time, it’s rather refreshing.

Out of nowhere, the memory of my first encounter with Seungcheol came flooding in. I can still remember how casually he slung his arm around my shoulders on the first day, pulling me from a group of male students who were bombarding me with weird questions. I also remember how he led me into his classroom, which turned out to be mine as well. 

From that point on, I've had more than my fair share of pick up lines and spontaneous skinship. Getting used to his flirting was difficult, since Seungcheol is rather, you know, handsome. And the fact that he is captain of the basketball team only made things harder.

I've seen him out on the courts way too many times. Even when the sun would blaze down on him, he'd be playing with sweat glistening from his jaw and neck. Sometimes, he wouldn't even wear his shirt, and I would find myself wondering how it is possible for his body to be so well sculpted. 

I mean, the way his muscles lined around his arms, his chest, and then down to his abs-

Okay WHOA, what the hell am I thinking?

I quickly pushed myself away from the window and threw my hands to my face. Okay, maybe it’s time to go back to grading papers.

Right as I took a step back however, I suddenly heard my name being called. My mind went blank for a moment, yet I felt sure it wasn’t just my imagination.

I slowly peered out the window, and my gaze instantly fell onto Seungcheol, who is now frantically waving at me. I almost choked my breath before a surge of laughter bubbled at my throat.

“Hi Ahri!” He shouted, throwing both hands in the air. I gave in to my own laughter before awkwardly waving back. Interestingly, I did not realize this right away, but my heart is now beating fast.

Seungcheol didn’t stop and proceeded to make heart shapes with his arms. I pressed my lips together, not sure how he can go from a serious team captain to a giant cheese ball in a matter of seconds. He kept making gestures at me until Jeonghan finally dragged him back to the court.

The smile on my face is still there. I placed my fingers against cheeks, noting how warm my skin felt. I hate to admit it, but something about me has changed, especially the way I react to anything Seungcheol does.

But…now’s not the time to think about that. I still got a mountain load of papers to grade.

I patted my face several times, hoping to suppress the nerves so I can actually concentrate. Glancing at the clock again, I trudged back to my chair before picking up the next worksheet.

 

Apparently, time moves much faster when you’re focused. I checked the time again, and indeed, an hour has already passed. I sat my pen down and stretched my arms, noting that it is almost seven o’clock. The sun had already set, and the only thing on my mind right now is to get home. But realizing how dark it is outside quickly made me feel a little uneasy.

I cleaned up and organized as much as I could before exiting the classroom. However, heavy chills immediately crawled up my spine when I saw just how dark the halls were. For a school that tries its hardest to save on its utility bills, I probably should have seen this coming.

The entire hallway is empty and silent, and the only source of light came from the lamp posts outside the building. I knew schools at night were creepy, but I didn’t think it would be this creepy.

I began walking towards the building exit, sticking close to the walls while trying to fill my head with happy thoughts. But who am I kidding, the creepiness is simply too much. The main exit is still quite a distance from my position, and I mentally cursed at the excessive length of these hallways.

My senses are starting to become fuzzy, but I could have sworn I just heard some sort of shuffling noise coming from behind. I whipped my head back almost instantly, yet I saw nothing other than total darkness.

Okay, maybe I’m just scaring myself at this point.

 

I drew in a deep breath before slowly turning back. But in that moment, my eyes widened in horror before my heart dropped to my stomach.

There is something standing in front of me, as in right in front of me.

I legitimately screamed out loud before stumbling backwards. My body was ready to collide with the floor, yet something immediately grasps both my forearms, jerking my body forward.

 “Whoa geeze, calm down!”

I froze.

That voice. Wait a minute…

My eyes slowly peered opened, and I swear my heart was about to explode.

Look who it is. Choi freaking Seungcheol. What the hell?

My jaws instantly fell opened before I pushed him away.

“Seungcheol, what the hell?” I stammered, glaring at the boy who wore an obviously amused grin on his face. Even in this dim lighting, I could tell he was holding back the urge to laugh.

“What? I was just waiting for you. Did you not see me?” He asked, acting nonchalant.

Oh yeah, like I can totally see you lurking when I’m practically blind in this terrifying darkness. Are you kidding me right now?

 “Ugh, I seriously hate you.” I heaved, placing a hand on my chest to tame my breathing.

“Okay okay, sorry. I didn’t think you would get this scared.” He spoke, shuffling closer to me. He leans a shoulder against the wall, looking at me with a raised eyebrow. “Don’t tell me you’re afraid of the dark.”

I flinched. Well who isn’t?

I decided to quickly change the subject, because who knows how long he’s going to tease me. “Why are you here anyways?” I asked, looking up at him.

“Oh, I just finished practice.” Seungcheol replied, running a hand through his hair. “And uh…I thought we could walk back together or something.”

He averts his gaze, yet I proceeded to stare at him in confusion.

“Seungcheol…” I began. “We live in opposite directions.”

He continues to stare blankly at the wall. “Oh, um…my mom wants me to pick up something from the grocery store, so uh…I’ll need to…go your direction.”

My brows furrowed for a second. Why is he hesitating all of a sudden?

“Okay…” I replied, blinking several times at his odd behavior. “Let’s go then.” I said and began walking around him.

However, I froze at a sudden tug on my hand. I glanced back, only to see Seungcheol’s fingers wrapped around mine. That unfortunately, set my heart rate right back into a mess.

“What are you…” my words barely left my mouth when Seungcheol steps up to me.

“You might want to hold onto me.” He grins. “It’s still pretty dark and scary in here.”

I didn’t have the time to respond when Seungcheol’s hand tightens, gently pulling me alongside him.

My eyes could only focus on our joined hands. Even as we walked in the dark, I could tell my face was becoming bright red. Something like this can’t possibly be good for my heart. Heck, nothing Seungcheol does is good for my heart.

We made it out the school gates, and soon we were pacing down the streets. The night air felt cool against my body, yet my skin remained warm from Seungcheol’s touch. He still hasn’t let go of my hand, and for some reason, I didn’t mind.

I was prepared for this walk to be totally awkward, but Seungcheol managed to completely avoid that by endlessly cracking his lame jokes. Even when I assured him that I wasn’t mad at him for scaring me earlier, he refused to quit with his ridiculous puns. His jokes are seriously awful, but the two of us still ended up laughing like total idiots. And yeah, we got plenty of weird looks from strangers.

Time seems to fly by way too quickly, and before I knew it, we were already outside my house. Seungcheol released my hand, leaving me with the most unusual tinge of emptiness. I shrugged it off however, and glanced down at my watch.

Right away, I physically gasped at the time, suddenly remembering that Seungcheol still had an errand to run.

“You should go!” I blurted, eyeing him. “The grocery store is about to close.”

However, Seungcheol didn’t budge. “It’s fine. I can go tomorrow.” He smiles and points behind me. “Come on, go inside.”

In this moment, the strangest sensation poured over me. Maybe it’s the way he’s looking at me, or maybe it’s the fact that he’s been holding my hand this entire time, or maybe, it could be that I’m starting to think Seungcheol probably made up this excuse just to walk me home. Whatever the reason is, I am sure as hell confused.

I somehow managed to make it to my front door. Before turning the knob however, I turned to him, this time with a smile.

“Thanks for walking with me, Seungcheol.” I spoke, giving him a small wave. “Good night.”

I swear he had the brightest smile on his face.

“Good night.”

 

The moment after closing the door, I threw myself on the nearest couch and buried my warm face in the cushions.

This confusion is real, and so are the butterflies in my stomach.

 

Looks like I won’t be getting much sleep tonight.

 


A/N: gahhh sorry this chapter felt so rushed...and I'm just so poopy at character development OTL I tried. Next chapter will be more upbeat! Thank you for reading!