.two

When Life Gives You Choi Seungcheol

 

Haknam Highschool's severely unbalanced gender ratio makes gym class a little different than usual. All the male students have gym before lunch, while the female students (which there are about 15 of us in total) have gym as our last period.

Apparently, our gym times are greatly separated for "protection". I remember overhearing Seungcheol talking about some boys who tried sneaking into the girls' locker rooms, where one guy tried cross dressing as a girl in order to sneak in. These stories were always pretty wild from what I recall.

After several rounds of volleyball for today's class, our gym instructor excused us to go change back into our uniforms. 

"Are you doing anything after this?" Jaeyeon, my locker neighber asked. Jaeyeon is a year above me, who also chose this school for financial reasons. Of course, with both of us being part of the endangered female species, we were friends since the first day of school.

I zipped up my skirt before facing her way. "I think I'll be heading straight home. I'm beat." I exhaled while stuffing my gym clothes inside my bags.

"Ahh you're lucky." Jaeyeon sighed, slumping on the bench. I didn't need her to explain to know what's probably going on. "Going on a date again?" I asked, giving her a empathetic smile.

Jaeyeon could only nod while staring off into space. "This guy named Mingyu challenged me," she began, "He said that if he beat me in the mock exams, I'll have to go on a date with him."

Oh, Mingyu, he's in my class.

"And he beat me by two points." Jaeyeon proceeds to slap her hands onto her face. "I honestly did not think he'd even pass the mock exams."

I sat quietly for a few seconds, trying to think of the right words to say. "Well...uhh...Mingyu's actually a nice person..." I lied. Mingyu's no different than Seungcheol, except not as gifted in flirtation. Seriously, no one tops Seungcheol when it comes to flirting.

But, speaking of Seungcheol, I realized I still have his math workbook with me. Better return it to him before he uses this as a reason to stalk me.

After saying good-bye and good luck to Jaeyeon, I headed back to my classroom. I mentally prepared myself before seeing Seungcheol again, but since it was already well afterschool, the class was empty by the time I got there. 

It felt almost strange being inside the classroom without Seungcheol's presence. I mean, it was peaceful and all but...unfamiliar.

Whatever, I'll just leave his book on his desk for now.

Just as I was about to set the book on his desk, I heard the classroom door swing open. And when I turned around, lo and behold, it just had to be Choi Seungcheol. And just when I thought it was weird not seeing him. 

"Ahri? You're still here?" Seungcheol seemed just as surprised as I am. However for me, I understood his situation as soon as I saw a mop and bucket of water in his hands.

"I came to return your book." I spoke, "and...thanks again for that."

Seungcheol cracked a smile and sat down the bucket of water. "Anything for you princess."

I almost wanted to roll my eyes, but it's not like that would ever discourage him from being a total greaseball. "And what about you? Is this punishment from Ms. Choi?" I asked.

Seungcheol sighed dramatically. "Yup. She didn't like my potato impression of her."

I laughed under my breath and walked up to the chalkboard. "Maybe she prefers pears over potatoes." I commented and started erasing the board. Seungcheol chuckles and shuffles next to me. "Then I should ask her next time."

"Hmm good idea," I turned to him with an amused expression. "let me know what she says." 

Seungcheol presses his lips into a smile. "I will."

During the next few seconds, I began to realize a few things. First of all, Seungcheol is a whole head taller than me. Second, his smile is quite nice. And third...he's standing really close to me. I mean, he does sit directly behind me, but this is the first time I've ever been so close to him, from the front.

There was that weird anxious feeling invading my nerves again, and my stomach did a massive summersault when I realized Seungcheol's eyes were still fixed on mine. I know better than to become flustered in front of Seungcheol, but my body doesn't seem to comply at the moment.

At first I thought I was hallucinating, but Seungcheol's hand begins to move towards my face. He cups my left cheek, sending a whole mess of shivers down my spine. With his thumb, Seungcheol began brushing the skin just below my eye. Ok what is going on?

"You got chalk dust on you." He utters, as if he just read my mind.

My skin felt hot from his touch. And before I could fully process the situation, my right hand instinctively traveled to my face, wiping my other cheek.

Seungcheol chuckles before grasping my wrist. "Wait stop, you're just wiping more dust on your face."

And there it is again, Seungcheol brushing both sides of my face with his hands. Now my whole face is burning.

I could only stand frozen like some department store mannequin, yet my mind on the other hand was a jumbled mess. Looking away from Seungcheol is probably a good idea, that is if I actually still had control over my body.

Somehow, this just turned into a staring contest. 

 

"Uh, don't mean to interrupt, but if you're not gonna help clean, then get out of here."

I visibly flinch at the sudden voice coming from the door. Looking past Seungcheol's shoulder, I noticed the school janitor standing beside the door frame, sporting an obvious look of disapproval.

Seungcheol turns his head towards the janitor, without taking his hands off my face. "Yeah, we'll be leaving." He responds and finally lets go of my face.

However, I had no time to breathe properly when Seungcheol's hand found its way to my wrist instead. He pulls me away from the podium and grabs both our bags.

"Thanks for your hard work!" Seungcheol beams at the janitor with a slight bow before dragging both of us out the door. 

I had no idea whether to be worried or confused. I quickly glanced back at the janitor, who is still shaking his head, and then back at Seungcheol.

"Wait, are you just gonna..." my voice fades, "but you're supposed to clean."

Seungcheol simply shrugs. "The janitor does a better job anyways."

Unbelievable.

I scoff at him, shaking my head in the process. "You know, if Ms. Choi finds out, you might as well make your death wish."

Seungcheol scrunches his nose. "Then I'll make sure she doesn't see me tomorrow."

Pff. Okay.

"And how are you going to accomplish that? Switch schools? Move to another country?"

We both stopped walking. Seungcheol inhales and turns his body towards me. "I have my ways. Don't worry about me." He retorts and taps the bottom of my chin with his finger.

This time, I couldn't refrain from rolling my eyes. I took my bag from his hand and backed away from him. "And I'll be praying for your safety. Good luck!" I chimmed sarcastically, waving at him as I walked towards the school gates.

Seungcheol chuckles and waves back with both hands, making heart shapes with his fingers in the process. Good thing he wasn't close enough to hear me, since I found myself giggling at his stupid displays of affection.

 

-~~~-

 

The moment I walked into class next morning, something immediately felt off.

I can't believe it. Seungcheol is actually not here.

For a little while, I actually thought he went and did something crazy. But a quick chat with Jeonghan confirms the fact that all Seungcheol did was ditch class, at least until Ms. Choi's class is over.

"He's probably sleeping somewhere on the roof." Jeonghan adds. "He'll be back after lunch."

I guess the good news for me is that I'll be able to study in peace, for once. No morning ual harrassment for today.

Now that I think about it, Seungcheol has never missed a day at school. For the past three years, he was always in my class, and he was always here. Today is definitely a change.

When Ms. Choi walked in during second period, she eyed the empty spot behind me suspiciously. As expected, she didn't look very pleased, at all.

Time seemed to roll by quite peacefully without Seungcheol's presence. But, I'll admit it was a little strange without him nagging from behind. Just a little. 

Soon, it was my self-study period, which is always before lunch. Since all the boys have gym class at this time, I literally have the classroom to myself. Just as I tried immersing myself in a book about capitalism, Mr. Park suddenly storms in the classroom with a tower of text books in his arms.

"Hey Ahri, are you busy at the moment?" He exhales and sets the books on his table with a solid thud. "I need your help."

I put my own book down before getting up from my seat. "Sure, what do you need me to do?"

Mr. Park makes a small stack of text books and gestures me over to his table. "Take these to the main storage room. It's in the building behind ours."

I nod and began stacking the books in my arms. They were surprisingly heavy.

Thankfully, the building where the main storage room is located isn't too far. All I have to do is walk across a basketball court that separates the two buildings. After exiting through the back, I was immediately faced with a court full of guys running around and shouting.

It was as if my eyes knew what to expect, and I spotted Seungcheol right away. He had taken his jacket off, wearing his white shirt and gray pants. He seemed to be playing some sort of one-on-one with Jun, the foreign exchange student in our class. If it weren't for the stack of weights in my arms, I might have kept watching.

I began walking around the basketball court, watching my every step so I don't trip and drop everything. Right as I was halfway past the court, I heard someone shout "Watch out!" from afar. I didn't think it was directed at anyone in particular, but curiousity got the best of me and I glanced at the court. 

But something didn't seem right. Everyone is staring at me.

And in that same moment, I noticed the basketball.

It is heading straight towards me. More specifically, towards my face.

I obviously had no idea how to grasp the situation than to shut my eyes, waiting for an impact that will may or may not kill me.

However, that didn't happen.

After about five seconds, all I heard was a thud near my feet. I slowly opened my eyes, only to see Seungcheol half lying on the concrete right beside me. Holy smokes what just happened?

My eyes widened in panic before I kneeled down, setting the books on the ground. Seungcheol pushed himself up, turning his head where our eyes met.

"Seungcheol-" I cut myself off when I suddenly realized the situation. Seungcheol just saved me. He just stopped the ball from straight up murdering me.

"What's up? Did you miss me?" He smiles cheekily, flashing all his teeth as if nothing crazy just happened.

I exhaled, mostly out of relief. "You wish." I managed to answer back. "And...are you okay?"

"Never been better." Seungcheol replies, shifting his focus to the stack of books. "What are these?"

For a split second, I had almost forgotten I had a job to do. "Oh this, I need to take them to the main storage."

Seungcheol raises his eyesbrows and nods. He then began stacking the books in his arms. Before I could question him, he looks back at me. "I'll help you out."

If it weren't for my pounding head and heart, I definitely would have turned down his offer. But right now, I could only watch him as he picks up all the books from the ground. Seungcheol signals to the other guys to keep playing without him, and we both end up leaving the basketball court.

"How was class this morning? Did I miss anything?" Seungcheol asked as soon as we walked inside the building. For a brief moment, I was taken aback. He actually cares about class?

"Nothing much, just the usual." I replied, taking some books from his arms. "Ms. Choi was extra angry today."

Seungcheol snickers. "Sounds about right."

"Where were you this morning anyway?" I asked.

"Sleeping on the roof." He responded nonchalantly.

Wow. Jeonghan was right.

We soon reached the main storage room, which always looks like another closet to Narnia. There are always so much random junk in this room, like these random theater props to sports equiptment to buckets full of water balloons. Why are there water balloons anyways?

I found an empty spot on the floor and placed the books down, and Seungcheol followed suit. He exhales and pats on his shirt, as if he just accomplished something amazing. Nevertheless, I figured I should probably say something.

"Thanks for your help," I paused, "and for the ball earlier."

"No problem." He smirks, "but...now my hands really hurt, can you hold them?" Seungcheol pouts, holding up both hands.

Here we go again. Seriously, for a guys like Seungcheol, flirting is as easy as breathing.

"You're old enough to hold your own hand." I replied.

"Then how about a hug?" He asked without missing a beat.

I scoffed. "What? Ew no, you're all sweaty." I respond while taking a step backwards. Seungcheol obviously doesn't feel the least bit discouraged and proceeds to open his arms.

"Come on, a little sweat doesn't hurt." He chuckles before inching closer towards me.

Oh no. Not today Choi Seungcheol.

"Don't you dare-" I couldn't finish my sentence since I knew I had to get away from this guy.

"Aww Ahri come here." He coos, purposely blocking me from running past him. "The only place to run is into my arms."

"Ugh you're so lame!" I exclaimed, trying to think of anything that can help me right now. For some reason, Ms. Choi's face suddenly flashes through my mind, as creepy as it was, an idea pops into my head.

I suddenly froze and switched on a shocked expression. "It's Ms. Choi." I mumbled and pointed behind him.

Seungcheol's eyes widen for a split second, and right as he turned around to check, I bolted past him.

But thanks to all the clutter on the floor, I barely made it past him when his arm snakes around my waist, swiftly pulling me back. I felt my back collide against Seungcheol's chest, the sudden warmth sending my blood pressure into a total state of chaos.

I could feel the vibrations from his laughter while I squirmed within his grasp. He had both arms around my waist, and I knew it was already way too late to escape.

"Damn you almost got me." His voice was husky, which only further accelerated my heart rate. I had no idea what is going on with me, but his closeness is throwing me off way too much.

But, I promised myself to never lose composture in front of Seungcheol. If he sees me flustered, he'll never let me live it down. 

"It was worth a try." I spoke through my breaths.

Seungcheol's breath fawned over my ear. "But look what you got yourself into." He whispers and then nuzzles on my shoulder. 

"Ugh, what do you want Seungcheol?" I groaned.

"You."

 

My heart skipped a beat. Yes, that's cheesy and all, but I'm just not behaving like myself today. Seungcheol's flirting is something I've dealt with for years. But right now, for whatever reason, his words are extra effective.

I could only sigh at this point. "Ok then, what do you want from me?"

Seungcheol rests his chin on my shoulder and hums for the longest time. "There is something...but I don't think you have the guts to go through with it."

Oh, is he challenging me now?

"What is it?" I asked, even though I know I shouldn't.

To my surprise, Seungcheol loosened his arms. I turned around, only to see him wearing an unreadable expression. I anticipated his answer, even if I knew it's probably going to be something stupid. 

Seungcheol presses his lips together and tucks his hands into his pockets. He then looks at me and smirks.

 

"I want you to kiss me."

 

Hold on. Wait.

What?

Did I hear that correctly?

"You...what?" I honestly don't even know what expression I had on right now.

"Kiss me."

Seungcheol's voice sent echoes through my head and my eyes darted towards the floor. These sort of requests from him shouldn't even be a surprise, but what am I supposed to say? Hells no? Screw you Seungcheol? But then that will just prove his point.

Ugh. Why are you like this Choi Seungcheol?

My eyes continued to move around the floor, as if I could somehow find the answer to this situation. But then, to my utter surprise, I noticed something.

The buckets with the water balloons. Oh my gosh I almost forgot about them.

A brilliant idea pops into my head. And this time it's for revenge. 

Taking a deep breath, my gaze shifts back to Seungcheol. "I'll do it." I stated.

I watched carefully as Seungcheol's expression turned from surpise to confusion to suspicion and then back to confusion.

"You'll-"

"I'll kiss you." I cut him off.

He tilts his head slightly, furrowing his eyebrows. "Really? You're actually gonna-"

"What, you don't believe me?" I cut him off again, "Then I guess I won't." I finished and pretend to back away. Of course, Seungcheol immediately grasps my forearm.

"Ok, yeah I believe you...uh..." His voice fades.

Wow, I've never seen him this confused. I had to bite back the urge to laugh before continuing.

"I do have one condition." I began, "I need you to close your eyes."

Seungcheol narrows his eyes for a split second. He's suspicious again.

"Why? Are you embarrassed?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah," I replied and stepped forward, closing the distance between us. "Your face is embarrasing to look at."

Seungcheol scoffs and chuckles at the same time. "That's a good one." he retorts.

I grin in response and take another step forward. "Now, close your eyes."

"Don't try to pull anything," his voice was low, "you know I can do worst things than just hug you right?"

I pretend to sigh and nod. "I know. Now close your eyes."

In the back of my mind, I was aware that this plan of mine just spells disaster, and I also know the consequences are going to be absolute hell. But it's going to be so worth it.

Seungcheol hesitates for a few seconds before finally closing his eyes. Right as I made sure he couldn't see, I slowly stooped down and reached for the first water balloon.

I took long but silent breaths, trying to suppress the urge to giggle. Then I began stepping back towards the door. Once I reached the door frame, I began counting down in my head.

After three seconds, I threw the water balloon, as hard as I can.

And it hits him. Right in the face.

Perfect.

 

I watched as streams of water began flowing down Seungcheol's face. His eyes shot opened, and he slowy shifts his gaze towards me.

Oh man. The look on his face right now is something I will remember forever.

As much as I wanted to keep watching, I knew it is time for me to run for my life. I managed to grab a few extra balloons before bolting out the door. It didn't take long before hearing Seungcheol's voice echo down the halls. 

Before turning a corner, I looked back and threw another one. My aim was spot on and I hit his chest, drenching his shirt.

Seungcheol stops dead in his tracks, taking a moment to adjust to his soaked clothing. "Shin Ahri..." Seungcheol mutters before looking straight at me. "You're going to get it."

"Then come and get me." I cooed sarcastically and continued running down the hall.

I know, I'm totally screwed. But at least he's finally getting a taste of his own medicine. I giggled to myself even though I knew how much trouble we were both in.

But hey, this is only natural when you have Choi Seungcheol in your life.