jaewon's side

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The first thing he noticed in the morning was the missing breakfast, Jaewon didn’t see any foods on the table as he walked in to the empty dining room. He walked over to the kitchen and found it was empty too.

 

"Is she waking up late or what?”

 

He grunted and went to the fridge, taking out a bottle of cold water, chugging it down immediately. 

After Jaewon threw the empty bottle to the trash bin, he started taking out breads and jams from the fridge and brought them over to the dining table.

The man casually sat on one of the unoccupied chairs and started making his breakfast, spreading the strawberry jam on the bread before eating it slowly. Jaewon looked around the house as his eyes spotted the time on the wall clock, it was five to eight and yet he didn’t catch a glimpse of his wife yet. Usually, she would be around the kitchen and dining room, or maybe attending Haejin needs in her room. But she will prepare their breakfast no matter what, this is the first time she didn’t make breakfast.

Jaewon shrugged his thought and left some breads in the Tupperware, he didn’t forgot to close back the jam and put them back in the fridge before he left the dining room to take a shower in his room. After a good ten minutes of cold shower, Jaewon dressed up in his work attire and looked at his reflection in the standing mirror just beside his wardrobe. He slung his dark blue necktie around his collar and started making it as he looked at himself in the mirror.

 

“Can I help?” 

 

He turned to where the voice came but saw nothing at his side. Jaewon shut close his eyes as he took a deep breath, he was imagining things he was imagining her voice.

 

“What happened to me?” he muttered and opened his eyes again, continuing what he did before.

 

He grabbed his suitcase and walked out from his room, quietly expecting his wife and son in the living room, waiting for him to come out to say goodbye.

But no, no one was there.

Jaewon slightly disappointed at the sight of an empty living room. He looked at to his right, where her room was located. There were no sounds of her nor Haejin’s cry. His night was peaceful and he just realized that he didn’t heard his son’s cry yesterday night. Jaewon silently walked over to the wooden door that led to her room, he leaned his head to the door, trying to make out any sounds from inside. But there was none.

The man braved himself to twist the door’s handle and slowly pushed it open. The bed was made up perfectly, and there was no one there.

 

“Heeyoung?” her name slipped out from his mouth.

 

No answer.

 

His eyes searched around the room and realized that it was indeed empty. Jaewon furrowed his eyebrows before his eyes widened in realization, “Right, I forgot,” he muttered under his breath as he pressed a palm on his forehead. The scene a night before played again in his head.

 

 

 

“I’m fine with you forgetting our anniversary, or even my birthday. But Jaewon, can you at least remember your son’s birthday? Today we’re supposed to celebrate Haejin’s 100th days, instead I celebrated it with my parents and my sister. You don’t even remember, right?”

                                             

“Let’s get a divorce Jung Jaewon, I’m giving up on this marriage.”

 

“Haejin and I will move out early in the morning. Good night.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Jaewon,” the other man in front of him called his name as he waved a hand in front of him.

The said man pulled back to the reality as he looked around then to his friend, “Yes?”

Minho furrowed his eyebrows at the younger man in front of him, “You alright man? You’ve been spacing a lot today. Anything bothering you?”

Jaewon slowly shook his head as he held onto his small glass filled with alcohol, “Nothing.”

 

It was still evening yet Jaewon told his secretary, Minho to company him drinking. He didn’t know why but he wanted to drink all of a sudden, he wanted to let all the uncomfortable feelings inside him out. Jaewon wasn’t the type to express himself actually, or more like he can’t expresses what he feels.

“You can’t drink too much, remember the reuni tonight?” Minho held on his hand and put his boss’ glass back on the table, “care to tell me? I’m your friend right?”

Jaewon let out a heavy sigh as he put his head on the cardboard table, “I…I don’t even know myself what’s been bothering me.” He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, “it just…I don’t know what to do about this.”

 

“Is this about your wife?”

 

Minho asked as he told the owner to take back the bottle and ordered a snack.

Jaewon hummed answering his friend’s question, “She said she want a divorce and she moved out from the house.”

Silence engulfed the air around them for a while before a loud slam on the table and a loud ‘what’ from Minho startled the customers.

 

“What did you do this time?” The man hissed, totally annoyed with his friend. Jaewon put his head up from the plastic table, he rest his chin on top of his folded arms on the table as he looked at his secretary.

 

“How did you know it was my fault?”

 

Minho clicked his tongue and scoffed, “Of course, she endured enough of your attitudes. So what did you do until she asked for a divorce?”

“I…” he stopped and let out another sigh then looked away from him, “I missed Haejin’s 100th days. I didn’t even remember it in the first place.”

 

“See? That’s your fault, how can you not remember you son’s birthdate? Don’t tell me you didn’t even remember your wedding anniversary,” His words made Jaewon felt even guiltier, he was guilty enough for not remembering his own son’s birthdate.

Minho’s words slapped him really hard.

His friend only shook his head as he understood very clearly what his silent meant, “You’re really unbelievable Jaewon.”

 

 

 

 

“I really hope you guys won’t tell mom and dad about this,” formed a gratitude smile towards the couple in front of her.

The three adults and one little girl sat in the living room of a small apartment Heeyoung owned (before she married to Jaewon) in Gwangju. “We won’t tell anyone about this, I swear,” Jinhee lifted up her two fingers, “but are you really serious about divorcing him?”

The younger one only sighed as she leaned her back on the couch, “I’m trying to work this out, but he keeps blaming his and our parents for this arranged marriage. I guess I’m just tired, it’s been four years and he still didn’t change.”

Lu Han shook his head in disbelieve, “What about Haejin then?” He caressed his daughter’s jet black hair as she played with the tablet PC.

 

“Having Haejin doesn’t change anything apparently,” Heeyoung clenched the hem of her shirt as she let out a scoff.

 

“Okay, let’s not talk about it. How about we have some shaved ice to cool off the heat?” Jinhee offered as she got up and slung her bag onto her shoulder, “Get Haejin and we will wait outside, okay?” she pulled her husband and her daughter with her and went outside while the younger one got up to get her dearest son from the master bedroom.

The room painted in soft light green and green pastel, giving off a refreshing vibe when Heeyoung stepped into the room. Haejin was stuffing the poor teddy bear’s hand into his mouth. The young mother went over to the bed and pulled out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter