C h a p t e r 3

Love Is Love

“ So, that MinHyuk guy…how is he like?” MinHo asked.  You and MinHo were out eating dinner.  You called him last night to have a nice hangout.  MinHo picked you up at the library and drove you to his chosen restaurant.

“He’s pretty cool actually,” you answered as a small smile formed on your lips.  “He’s nice too.  I mean, sure he’s not like us status wise but that doesn’t even matter anyway, you know?  Personality is what counts and everything.”  MinHo only nodded as he took a sip of his water.

“Yeah.  I mean, you two seem to become really close, he added. You looked at him as you ate your spaghetti.

“Really? You asked with a muffled voice because of the food in your mouth.  Quickly, you swallowed your food. “I mean, we seem the same to me.”  MinHo chuckled and took a napkin to wipe the sauce off around your lips.  You blushed and slowly ate.

“You two argue and tease each other a lot when we’re over for dinner,” he said.  You nodded.

“Ah~ that’s because he’s a big jerk,” you muttered.  MinHo lightly laughed in response.  You pouted. “Hey, it’s not funny oppa!”

“I’m sorry.  I’m sorry,” he said as he waved his hands in front of him in defense.  You only stuck your tongue out and smiled.

“Oppa, I’m sorry if I always seem grumpy recently in front of you,” you said apologetically.

“It’s alright.  I understand.”  You smiled happily at him before taking the last bite of your spaghetti. “Want dessert?”

“Oppa, is that even a question?”  MinHo smiled and went up to the cashier to order your favorite dessert.  He came back with two plates of a pineapple cheesecake. “Yes!  My favorite!  Thank you oppa!”

“It’s not a problem.” MinHo watched you eat your cheesecake happily.  He smiled. “That’s a cute headband, by the way.” You touched your headband and smiled.

“MinHyuk oppa bought it for me,” you told him.  MinHo stayed silent and nodded in response before he ate his dessert.

MinHo drove you back home.  As the gentleman he is, he opened your door and walked you to the door.  You hugged MinHo before entering inside the house. You saw your umma at her usual reading spot.  She looked up from her book and smiled.


“How was your day with MinHo?” she asked. You smiled.

“It was fun,” you answered.  “We ate dinner at my favorite restaurant and then we went to the arcade.  He won me this panda bear.  Cute, huh?”  Your umma chuckled and nodded.

“Very cute,” she said. “Now go upstairs and do your homework, okay?  Appa won’t be home for a while.  Him and Mr. Choi are out for a business trip in Japan.”

“Okay umma.”  You headed upstairs to your room.  You lied down on your bed and started to play with your new panda bear.  You sighed and looked at the clock.  1:21AM. You sighed again before you got up to get a glass of water.  The house was full of darkness.  You stayed cautious with your surroundings.  Slowly, you tip-toed downstairs to the kitchen.  As you were pouring your cup with water, you looked out the window.  Your eyes widened when you saw a bit of smoke going up the air.  You headed outside to see where it was coming from.  You saw MinHyuk and sighed in relief.  MinHyuk turned to you with a raised eyebrow.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“It’s just you,” you replied.  “I-I saw smoke and…since when did you smoke?”

“From time to time,” he answered.  “It’s been about a month…two months since I did.”  You sighed again causing him to look up at you.  “What?  You’re going to hate me now that I smoke?  Doesn’t your appa smoke?”

“Yeah, but I hate it when he does.  He does it when I’m not around,” you answered and sat down next to him.  You took a sip of your water.  “I mean, smoking is so bad for you and it smells so bad.” MinHyuk just shrugged.

“I’m used to it. It’s not like I do it on a daily basis.”

“It’s still gross. I just never expected it from you.”

“There’s a lot of things you wouldn’t expect from me.”  You gave him a curious look.

“Alrighty then.” You stood up from the chair and faced him.  “Just so you know, you’re killing me more than yourself.  Second hand smoking is much more dangerous.  Goodnight MinHyuk.”  Before entering inside, you watched MinHyuk stepping on the cigarette, picking it up, and throwing it away.  You smiled. MinHyuk caught your smile and did the same but more softly.  ‘He’s weird.  Being all cool and a bad but then he gets all cute and smiley.’ You went straight to the pantry once you entered inside.  You heard the slide door open, indicating MinHyuk entering inside.  You went up to him and handed him a box of Pocky.  “I wish you would quit.  Maybe if you eat Pocky, it coul help.”  MinHyuk accepted the box of Pocky and looked at your shy self. He smiled.

“Thanks,” he simply said. “Goodnight.”  You watched him walk down the hallway.  You felt something holding you back.


“Wait, MinHyuk!”  you called.  MinHyuk stopped and turned around to you in curiosity.  “I-I think you should drop the cool act.  I mean, sure it suits you and all but it’s really not you, you know?” MinHyuk chuckled and shook his head at your sudden comment.

“We’ll see.”  You watched him disappear in the dark hallway. You smacked your head lightly.

“Aigoo, ________ you’re so stupid.  Stop saying things that pop in your head without thinking first,” you muttered to yourself.  “Now he’s gonna think you’re extra weird.”

You were outside by the stairs for lunch.  You can see MinHyuk with a few of his friends and half of the female school population around him.  You were all pouty at the scene.  You stabbed your fork at your salad while you watched MinHyuk laugh at what some girl commented or joked on.  ‘To them he’s all prince charming but to me, he likes to be such a big meanie,’ you thought.  ‘But I think he shows more to me than to anyone.’  With that thought, you smiled.  You took a bite of your food.  From a distance, MinHyuk looked at you.  He would smile at your pouty look.  ‘Easily jealous girl,’ he thought.  ‘Cute.’

“Aye, MinHyuk,” Yukwon called.  MinHyuk’s attention turned to him.


“What’s up?”

“Party tomorrow night at my house,” he whispered in his ear so none of the girls would hear. “Invite ________, too.  We’re all getting together and the guys want to meet the girl you’re always with.”

“Alright.”  MinHyuk looked up to you again.  He had a disapproving look on his face when he saw MinHo sitting next to you.  He watched MinHo give you a small box that revealed your favorite dessert.  He watched you smile at him and hug him and laugh with him.


“I’m gonna go now,” MinHo said.  “I promised to meet up with the guys anyway. I just wanted to give you this.”

“Okay.  Tell them I say hi.”  MinHo nodded and walked back inside the school building.  MinHyuk sighed relief once he left.

“MinHyuk, you alright?” Yukwon asked.  MinHyuk nodded.  Yukwon followed to where his gaze was.  He smiled. “Seriously, just ask her out.” MinHyuk shook his head.

“It wouldn’t work out anyway.”

“And why wouldn’t it?”

“We’re two different people.  Men like MinHo suit her more anyway.”