C h a p t e r 1

Love Is Love

“Hey!  You little rascal!  Get back here!” the manager of the store yelled.  MinHyuk sprinted down the street.  He turned back and saw the man slowing down.  The man threw another fit before giving up as he turned back to his small convenient store.   MinHyuk took deep breaths before he looked at the two packages he had stolen.  He sighed and walked back home.  The closer he got to his home, the more he questioned because of the lights.  ‘They’re usually in bed at this time,’ he thought. Inside, his parents sat down against the wall with big smiles on their faces.

“Umma?  Appa?  What’s going on?” he asked curiously.

“We’re moving!” they exclaimed happily.  His eyes widened.

“Wait?  What?” he responded.  His appa stood up and walked closer to him.

“You’re umma and I are going to work as servants for the Kims.  The family who runs the fashion business,” he said.  MinHyuk nodded.  His umma stood up and looked at him with a soft smile.

“You’ll be able to continue high school too,” she said.  MinHyuk smiled and nodded.  “And don’t even think about giving them such a cold impression.”  He then sighed.

“I’ll try not to,” he replied and headed to his room.  “When are we moving?”

“Tomorrow morning. So pack up, son!” his appa exclaimed happily.

It was the next morning. MinHyuk and his parents looked up at the huge mansion in front of them.  He heard the squeal his umma made.

“This house is so beautiful!” she squealed.  A couple came out of the front door with welcoming smiles.  The three bowed at the couple.

“You must be the Lee family,” Mr. Kim informed.  “Lee YoungSoo and Lee MinJung?”  The couple nodded and MinHyuk’s father put his arm around MinHyuk.

“And this is our son, MinHyuk,” YoungSoo introduced.  MinHyuk bowed to them.  “I hope it’s alright if he’s not working.”

“It’s not a problem. We can provide money for school for him,” Mrs. Kim said.

“Oh, no please….” Mrs. Lee got interrupted.


“It’s alright.  The boy will have a bright future ahead of him.  Please follow us.”

The family had a tour around the house.  After the tour, Mr. and Mrs. Kim lead them to a little hallway that is connected to another house.

“And this is where the three of you will be staying,” Mrs. Kim said.  The house was clean and elegant.  “Enjoy your stay here.  Tomorrow will be the start of work.”  Once the couple left, MinHyuk looked at his parents.

“What do you guys do anyway?” he asked curiously.

“Maid,” Mrs. Lee answered.

“Chaufferur,” answered Mr. Lee.  In response, MinHyuk nodded and took his things to his new room.  He looked around and nodded in satisfaction.

“Nice,” he said quietly to himself and started to unpack.

Hours and hours passed. It was five in the afternoon when he heard the doorbell ring.  He left his room and saw Mrs. Kim talk to his mother.  He looked at his umma smile and nodded Mrs. Kim in response.  She turned around and saw MinHyuk.

“I’ll be back okay?” she said.  “I’m going to help and cook dinner.”

“Alright.  I’m going to take a stroll in the backyard. MinHyuk grabbed his sweater and followed the women out.  He saw a table and chair and sat down to relax.  He took out his iPod and listened to his songs.  As Mrs. Lee and Kim headed inside the kitchen, a teenage girl was putting away a carton of ice cream.

“MinJung~shi, this is my daughter,” Mrs. Kim said.  “_______~ah!” You turned around and smiled.  You bowed when you saw Mrs. Lee.

“Wow, she’s beautiful,” Mrs. Lee complimented.  You slightly blushed.

“Th-thank you,” you responded shyly.

“________, this is Lee MinJung,” Mrs. Kim introduced.  “She’s our new maid and will also help around with the cooking.”  You nodded.  “Now hurry and get ready for dinner.  The Choi family is coming over soon.”  You sighed.

“Alright,” you answered and slowly walked up to your bedroom.

“Special dinner?” Mrs. Lee asked.

“Pretty special,” she answered.  “The Choi family is a close friend of ours.  They have an only son, MinHo who is around your son’s age.  My daughter is a year younger.  _______ and MinHo are close childhood friends.  I remember how my daughter wouldn’t want to leave his side. But as they were growing up, they started to become distant which I can see.  We’re trying to see if they can become closer but I think it’s going to be impossible.”

“Do you plan an arranged marriage?”

“Not at all.  She deserves a man who loves her and who she loves. She definitely doesn’t know that which is why you’ll see her become very grumpy.”

You lied down in bed once you finished your shower.  You groaned at the thought of the Choi family coming over.

“Stupid dinner,” you mumbled and sat up.  You went inside your closet and searched for a cute outfit to wear.  You decided to wear a plain white skirt with a pink off-shoulder top.  You put on a pair of black flats and a white headband before you walked out to your balcony. From a distance, you can see a boy around your age sitting down.  You faintly hear the music playing.  ‘I guess they have a son?’ you thought. You smiled and grabbed the tree branch and slowly climbed down.

MinHyuk heard a soft noise.  He looked up and silently watched you climb down the tree.  He shook his head.  ‘It’s called the back door.  Stupid girl.’  He stood up and walked closer.  His eyes widened when your foot slipped and you let out a scream.  He broke out into a sprint and caught you.  Both of you fell, him on his back while you laid on top of him, both of your faces a few centimeters apart.  MinHyuk stayed calm but your eyes were wide and you can feel your cheeks heat up a bit.

“________~shi!” you heard one of your security guards call.  You quickly got up on your feet and MinHyuk followed in a cool manner.  “Are you alright, miss?”  You nodded.

“I’m okay,” you said.

“Stop climbing down that tree, miss.  That’s not the first time that you fell,” he said before he walked away.  You nervously chuckled and turned around to the boy. “Oh and miss?”  You turned back to the man.  “You should hurry to dinner.  The Choi family is here.”

“Thank you,” you muttered.  The guard was out of sight and you looked up at the emotionless boy.

“Go to dinner,” he said.

“You look very unfamiliar,” you said, completely avoiding his demand.

“My parents work for your parents,” he answered.  You smiled and nodded in response.

“My name is Kim ________. May I know yours?”  MinHyuk sighed.

“Lee MinHyuk and I suggest you go down for dinner,” he said as he sat back down.  You shook your head and sat down next to him.

“No way,” you responded. “I am not eating dinner with the Choi family.”

“Just go.”

“I don’t really want to.” You watched him put his iPod in his jeans pocket.  He stood up and held your wrist.  He dragged back inside the house.  “Hey! Let me go!”

“You left me with no choice.”  You struggled to escape his grasp.  MinHyuk opened the door to the dining room catching everyone’s attention.  “Here’s the girl,” he said and pulled you to your seat. You glared at him as he sat you down. MinHyuk looked at you and smirked before walking away.

“MinHyuk, please join us if you’d like,” Mr. Kim suggested.  MinHyuk politely smiled and shook his head.

“I shouldn’t intrude,” he said.  “Have a nice dinner.”  You bit your lip in anger.  MinHo looked at you.

“Are you alright?” he asked.  You looked at him with a smile.

“Peachy,” you answered and at your food.

Once the family left, you headed straight up to your room.  You never thought that their visit would last until midnight.  After dinner, the family moved to the family room to talk for hours.  You ended up dying of boredom, both you and MinHo.  You changed into a pair of pajama shorts and an oversized T-shirt.  You walked out to your balcony and started to climb down again.

“Again with the climbing?”  Your eyes widened.  You turned around and sighed in relief.  “Don’t fall again.”

“I’ve done with plenty of times!” you yelled back and jumped down.  You stuck your tongue out at him before you started to walk around. MinHyuk sighed and followed you around. He watched you lie down on the grass so he decided to do the same.

“Shouldn’t you be sleeping?” he asked as he stared up at the night sky.

“Shouldn’t you?” you asked back.

“Weekend.”  You sighed at his answer and continued to look up at the sky.  “Look, I figured you were going to have a lecture if you didn’t show up at the dinner or something.  Might as well go there and not get in trouble.”  You only shrugged.

“I don’t care.  I got lecture a few times already so I’m pretty used to it,” you replied.  “I like the family.  I grew up knowing them and their son.  MinHo isn’t a bad guy.”

“You don’t seem to like them,” MinHyuk pointed out.

“I just know that they’re planning a marriage for us, that’s why.  I don’t want to stick around having the parents talk about us and how much of a perfect match we are.”  You made a face.  “It’s annoying to think that they are planning your future and everything.  I just feel that I have no freedom.  Being rich getting whatever I want but freedom.”


“Then get your own freedom,” he said as if it is the easiest thing to achieve.  You scoffed.

“If only it were that easy.”

“Just constantly bug them or persuade them.  I think they just need some persuasion though.”  You only nodded.

“Have you ever wished on a shooting star?” you asked out of the blue.

“I never saw a shooting star,” he answered.  “Why? Have you?”

“I wish.  It’s so hard seeing a shooting star with all of these lights.  I always read that wishing on a shooting star makes your wish come true.”

“We all read on that.” You rolled your eyes.

“Know it all,” you muttered.  MinHyuk muttered took a quick at you.  He smiled before staring up at the sky again.