C h a p t e r 2

Love Is Love

“________~ah!  Wait for MinHyuk!” your umma said.

“Araso!” you answered. You sat down on the couch as you patiently waited for MinHyuk to get ready.  Your butler walked up to you with a plate of food.  You smiled and bowed.

“You haven’t eaten yet,” he said.  You smiled and took a piece of toast.

“Thank you Mr. Kang,” you said.  “I’ll eat this while I wait.”  Mr. Kang smiled and walked away.  You slowly ate your toast and smiled happily.

“Hey!  Hurry up!  We’re gonna be late!” you heard MinHyuk yell.  You glared at him.  You stood up and grabbed your bag before leaving the house.  You quickly walked away, leaving him behind.  “Wait up!”  You stopped and turned around to face him.

“What?” you asked in an irritated tone.

“I don’t know the way. I’m new to the school,” he said. You sighed and nodded and walked with him side by side.  “Is this school cliquey?”  You nodded.

“I mean, every high school is like that.”  You looked up at him and did a quick observation.  You smirked and he gave you a weird look.

“What?” he asked.

“You’re gonna be the popular type,” you answered with a simple shrug.

“And what makes you think that?”

“Senior.  Pretty boy.  That chic-like appearance,” you answered.  “Chicks are a er for that.”

“Ah, so you think I’m that good looking?  Why thank you.”  You only laughed and slightly shoved him to the side.  “What do you do after school?”

“Either go home or walk around the city.”  You smiled. “Meet me at the back after school okay?”

“Um, how about you lead me to the back?”  You quietly growled.

“Meet me at the front.”

When the two of you arrived, everyone’s attention turned to you two.  You lead MinHyuk to the principal’s office and when you see him around the hallway, you would help him find his classes which was almost after every class.

“I swear, I think my parents set up your schedule and rooms,” you said.

“Ouch, you seem so angry,” MinHyuk said, pretending to be hurt at your comment.  You only shrugged.

“I see you at home and now in school.  Too much Lee MinHyuk in my lifetime,” you said.  MinHyuk smirked.

“But you know you love it~” he sang.  You looked at him weirdly.

“Okay seriously, what are you?  The quiet guy?  The cool guy? Funny guy?  Smug?  Happy?” you asked.  MinHyuk only shrugged.

“Right now, I’m being me,” he answered quietly.  You started to feel a little guilty until he continued.  “Plus if my umma hears about me being a jerk to you, then I’m grounded.” You snickered.  “So why did you want me to meet you in the back?”

“Because I hate this crowded school and wanted to ask if you wanted to hangout before any girl can.” MinHyuk gave you a genuine smile.

“What do you want to do?” he asked.  You smiled and grabbed his wrist.

“Follow me!”  You lead him to the bus stop.  You paid for the both of you and walked all the way to the back.  “Want to eat?”  He shook his head.

“I’m not that hungry yet,” he answered.  You nodded.

“Tell me when you get hungry.  I’ll buy us food.”  MinHyuk only nodded.  The whole time, he followed your around.  When you get excited or see something you find interesting, you would stop and hold his wrist.  It was your way to get his attention and to show him whatever you found was exciting. You did a lot of talking but MinHyuk did listen.  Your eyes diverted to a small accessory shop.  You saw a stand outside of the shop with headbands.  “MinHyuk, look!”  You held his wrist and dragged him to the stand.  You looked at the black headband with a flower on the right side with mini pearls in the middle of the flower.  You put it on and turned to him.  “How do I look?”

“Cute,” he replied with a soft smile.

“MinHyuk, you should buy me this,” you said.

“And why should I?”

“Shouldn’t the guy buy something for a girl?” you asked with a cute, sad pout.  MinHyuk sighed and took out his wallet.  You saw the ten-dollar bill in his wallet.  You looked around and found the man running the store and stand.

“Excuse me sir! How much does this cost?” you asked.

“$12.00,” he answered. Your eyes widened and you pouted. You suddenly had an idea.

“But sir, I’ve seen many headbands like these in signature stores in such low prices. They were like $4.00,” you said. MinHyuk gave you a subtle weird look. The owner pondered at your words. You started to use aegyo on the man. He sighed.


“Alright.  Because you’re adorable with a good reason, I’ll sell it for half the price.” You smiled and bowed.

“Thank you so much!” MinHyuk smiled and gave the owner $10 and received his $4 of change.  He gave you the headband and you happily put it on your head.  “Thank you, MinHyuk.”

“What else do you want to do?”  You pondered for a bit and looked around.


“Playground,” you answered with a small giggle. MinHyuk followed behind you as your pace quickened.  “Slow poke!”

“I’m tired!”  You slowed down and turned to face him.

“You want to go back home?”  MinHyuk shook his head and extended his arm to you.

“Let’s go to the playground.”  You smiled and held his hand to lead the way.

“Omo!  Is that Kim ________?!” you heard a male voice out loudly. Your eyes widened.  “Is this a new love interest?”

“Miss what happened to Choi MinHo?!” a female asked.

“Run!” you yelled. MinHyuk held your hand.  You did your best keeping up to him.  MinHyuk immediately pulled you in an alleyway. You gasped as he held you close against his chest.  The group of reporters ran past you two with constant questions.  Once they were gone, you two sighed in relief.

“You alright?” he asked. You nodded and looked up.  You were able to see his eyes close up for once. You can feel your heart racing as you two looked at each other.

“I-I’m sorry.  I dragged you into this mess,” you quietly said.

“It’s alright.” You two stayed silent.  MinHyuk cleared his throat.  “Still want to go to the playground?”  You shook your head.

“I don’t want to get caught again.”  MinHyuk nodded and headed out first.  “I wanted to go on the swings so badly.”  MinHyuk looked at your gloomy face.

“We’ll go another day, alright?”

“For real?”

“Yeah, just not this week.”  You nodded. You passed by a stand selling ice cream. Your stomach growled.  You held MinHyuk’s wrist to stop him and lead him to the stand.

“One strawberry and…” You looked at MinHyuk.

“I don’t want any,” he said.  You stuck your tongue at him.

“And a vanilla.”

“I said…”

“Too late.  I’m not eating ice cream by myself.”  MinHyuk sighed but smiled at your bright smile when the two ice cream cones were being given.  You paid the woman before handing MinHyuk’s his ice cream.

“Thank you,” he said.

“It’s not a problem.”

When you two arrived home, your umma went ballistic.

“You are so irresponsible.  How could you let MinHyuk involved in all of this?” she asked.  “You shouldn’t have brought him into any trouble, ________.”

“It wasn’t my fault…” you mumbled sadly.  You knew it was the truth.

“It’s okay,” he said. “Besides, she made my first day fun.” You watched your umma calming down. She exhaled deeply and let out a small smile.

“Did you two eat yet?” she asked and then she looked at MinHyuk.  “Your mother just finished cooking something for the both of you.” You stuck your tongue out at her calm personality towards MinHyuk.  MinHyuk noticed and smiled.

“We haven’t eaten yet. ________~ah, let’s go.”

“O-Okay,” you stuttered and followed him to the dining room.  On the table you saw rice, bulgogi, and a bowl of salad.  MinHyuk went ahead to eat.  You sat down in front of him and filled your plate with food. Halfway through your meal, your umma came in.

“_______~ah, spend some time with MinHo oppa okay?” she said.  You sighed.

“I’ll spend time with him when I want to, mom.”

“Why?  Do you not like him?  You two were practically inseparable before.”

“That was until we became teenagers and we found our group of friends.  We’re just friends, okay?  And you guys better not be doing something fishy about this.”

“What makes you say that? You know that your father and I take your side in everything.”  You sighed and looked up at MinHyuk who looked at you with concerned eyes.

“What?” you asked quietly.

“Just making sure you’re alright,” he answered.  You lightly smiled.

“I’m okay now.” Your umma watched you two and smiled before entering the kitchen.  Mrs. Lee caught her big smile.

“What’s with the smile?” she asked curiously.

“My daughter is in love with your son,” she said happily.

“What makes you think that?”

“You have to look at her. The way she looks at your son is just so different.  Look.” Mrs. Kim slightly opened the door for Mrs. Lee.  Inside, they see MinHyuk shaking his head before he wiped the rice off of your face.

“You’re so messy,” he said.  Your face flushed.

“Well sorry I’m not those clean, organized women you see in dramas,” you said annoyingly.  MinHyuk smirked and you turned back to your food. The two mothers closed the door and giggled.

“My son adores your daughter,” said Mrs. Lee.  “He doesn’t usually act like that to girls.”

“And my daughter is just way too easy read.”  The two mothers looked at each other and laughed as they continued to talk about their children.