Life is Like a Box

Infamous

 

"So what did he say when he called?" Woohyun asked full of curiosity, he was slightly hurt that Dongwoo hadn't felt the need to share that information with him. He always told him everything, so he kind of expected him to return the favor. Maybe he was just too embarrassed. Judging by the short interaction he himself had had with Hoya a few days earlier, he bet he wasn't the smoothest of suitors. Maybe the phone call had been so awkward that Dongwoo just didn't want to be reminded of it. Oh well, too late. He was too curious to let it go anyway. Besides, one should never just sit on a good story, they were meant to be heard. After all, laughter was the best medicine, and he needed a shot of it after the all-nighter he had just pulled.

He was tired, cold and every muscle in his body ached. He was getting too old to partake in those overnight variety shows. Not sleeping for days on end was starting to take its toll on him. This time he had actually been on the verge of declining the offer, he didn't really need the publicity anymore, he was already the biggest and best in Korea. But he was also known as the loveable sweetheart of Korea, his image making him more approachable than other superstars, voted the star with whom most people would want to share a meal. It was part of what made him unique and so successful. And that was all thanks to his fanservice policy and the fact that he had been on almost every single variety show that was on air these days, so he was reluctant in changing his methods.

"Who?" Dongwoo asked absentmindedly, focused on traffic.

"Hoya, obviously!" he exclaimed.

"Oh, him. He didn't call." Dongwoo tried to hide his disappointment, but the sadness in his voice gave him away.

"What? That babo!" Woohyun replied shocked. What a pair of idiots, that shy boss and his strong headed underling, not recognizing the best thing that had ever happened to them, even when it fell right into their laps. No, this was just wrong. He couldn't just sit by and watch this happen. Nobody treated his Dongie like that, not on his watch.

"Oh, it's fine. Not like I've got any time to date anyways." Dongwoo shrugged with too much effort, forcing himself to be upbeat and aloof about the whole thing.

"Change of plans. Remember that chocolate shop I once did a CF for?".

 

Woohyun's heart bounced up and down, up and down, as he tapped the floor with his foot. This waiting in line thing was excruciating. He stared at the box in his hand, wondering if he should have bought a bigger one. The one he had really wanted to buy was the pink heart shaped one, but he had a hunch that that would be a bit much. The hunch being Dongwoo telling him it was too much. So he had bought a plain one, but it was fancy plain.

 

"See. I waited." Woohyun grinned, proud of himself for having survived the wait. He couldn't understand why anyone would do this voluntarily multiple times.

"Hang on while I alert the marching band so they can start your parade." Sungkyu said in a tired voice, but he was clearly enjoying teasing him a little bit, Woohyun could sense it. So that was what rocked his boat, sarcasm. Interesting.

Without asking him his order, Sungkyu went off to make him a cup of coffee. He remembered! Woohyun had never been so touched that someone had paid attention to him. He normally expected nothing less, it was just basic that the people around him would memorize every single little preference he had ever had, preferably anticipating his every need. This was a new feeling indeed.

So excited that his heart was about to burst, he placed the box on the table, crossing his fingers without thinking, hoping against hope that he was going to like it. Usually he had no trouble pulling people's strings, telling them exactly what they wanted to hear to get the desired results. But with Sungkyu, he had no idea what it was that he wanted to hear. He was the kryptonite to his powers of persuasion.

As Sungkyu turned around with the steaming cup of hot java, Woohyun swallowed his breath. His insides were playing ping pong with his heart, never knowing when the ball was going to drop.

"We only accept money at this establishment." Sungkyu said in a business-like manner, firmly pushing the box away.

"Ah, it's not payment, it's a gift.. for you." Woohyun's voice turned extra soft and quiet as he uttered those last two words, feeling the blood rushing to his cheeks as he handed him the money for the coffee.

"It's against company policy to accept bribes." Sungkyu pushed the box even further away, his eyes shooting sparks.

"Oh please, what on Earth could I be bribing you for, to get you to make my coffee even more disgusting than it already is?" he snorted, but stopped halfway through as Sungkyu's death stare pierced right through his skull. Oops. It had perhaps been too much of a low blow, but he had just been trying to join Sungkyu's world of sarcasm. But apparently it was a one way street, and Sungkyu's car was the only one allowed to pass.

Agh, it was all kinds of frustrating dealing with this guy, yet he couldn't seem to be able to keep away. He had never been shot down so many times by the same guy, heck he had never been shot down by any guy ever, until Sungkyu.

He cleared his throat, piecing his smile back together. “So.. I can easily square it with your boss so that you can be allowed to accept bribes.” he gave him a playful wink.

“Next!”.

 

“Ya! Ho! Ya!” he sang as he burst into Hoya's office uninvited.

“Wha..?” Hoya's face was one big question mark.

“Seriously? You flirt with my boy and then give him the cold shoulder?” he complained in a pointed voice.

“Your boy?” Hoya cluelessly asked.

“Oh, come on... why didn't you call Dongwoo?” he was getting slightly irritated, but kept himself in check.

“Ah.. heh.. I was just.. trying to be cool..” Hoya's face instantly turned red.

“Cool?”.

“Yeah, I mean.. calling right away makes me look desperate, so I thought I'd wait a couple of days, you know.” Hoya flashed his teeth in an awkward grin.

“Aigoo, babo.. just call him, okay?” he chuckled, that cute idiot. Perhaps he wasn't that bad a match for Dongwoo after all. Although he would still have to prove himself. Dongwoo was special, he deserved only the best.

“Oh, and hand me a pen and that piece of paper.” he added, scribbling down his private number. Usually he guarded his number as if it was his most prized possession, not giving it to anyone except a few select individuals he knew he could trust. And yet he stood here, jotting it down on a worthless piece of paper like it was just another Monday. What was he thinking? He was acting so out of character that he was beginning to get concerned. Where would this all end? Against his better judgment, he slid the paper into the box.

“Be sure Sungkyu gets this, okay.” he ordered as he shoved the box of chocolates into Hoya's arms.