On My Own

The Witty Gentleman Who Ruined Me

I desperately wanted the time to stop right now. My mind is not in the right state to comprehend all of this. The simple fact that he is walking beside me, slowly matching my speed is nerve-wracking.  I wanted to throw up, my guts are having a party inside my tummy and now my heart is cooperating with them by means of skipping its beat on purpose.

“Are you okay?” I heard him whisper at the top of my head.

“Uhm, Yes.” I tried to control my facial expression so hard but he bent and surveyed my face over my shoulder like a very curious lion looking on its prey.

“You skipped breakfast didn’t you?” he asked with a frown and stopped beside the table on the side corner of the last window. He pulled the chair and gestured for me to be seated and all I can do is accept his thoughtfulness.

He stared at me like I did something very wrong.

“I guess I need to take care of you on my own today.” It is clear that he didn’t ask for my permission and he is letting me know about his transparent intention.

“Thank you but it is making me feel burdened to hear that from you. We barely knew each other. I’m a lot more independent than other girls.” I don’t care if he’ll get offended. I might be very nervous right now, but I still have to do something about my timid character today.

He smiled at me and flashed a very alluring charm. I gulped my saliva to avoid my pending hiccup.

“I’m glad you snapped. I want you to tell that exact same thing to other guys too okay?” He winked and proceeded on checking the menu book on his side. He is so cool, it caught me off guard.

If my phone didn’t die on me I’ll have something as an excuse to distract myself. The menu book is currently covering his face, I should cherish this calm period. He shouldn’t be pressured over what to eat; he should take his time and let me breathe.

My best friend probably knew this will happen that is why she picked this place for me. I am a regular customer here and almost all of the staff are aware what I will always prefer as a treat. I don’t need to open my mouth or even utter a word.

His hands caught my attention. Those were the same big hands which linked us together a while ago. I’ve never felt such warmth before. It’s currently winter, but he brought summer back to me briefly not so long ago.

I am curious but afraid to ask. I am not sure how to begin but I am willing to follow his lead. I wish I can evaporate now. I hope he can sense that I am uncomfortably attracted to every piece of him. All he did today seemed to be intentional – and that is to ruin my heart.

I closed my eyes so tight that it hurt; his presence is too overwhelming that I can’t even handle it. My senses allowed me to know that he finished reading the menu and landed it already on the table; I woke up in an instant and shot a fake confident smile.

“I am not comfortable with you for no reason – AvisPhoenix.” I heard him said it properly and without any warnings, my body froze because of the nostalgia of my past...