Volunteers Needed, I'm Looking at You, Kris

Puppet Master

Just as Sehun was cleaning up the last of the boxes from the living room he noticed something odd.  “Hey, Hui Qi?  What’s with all the ugly patterned luggage near the front door?”  

 

“What?” Hui Qi headed back inside to see what Sehun was asking about.  “Damn it…  Chan!  What did I tell you yesterday?  Go put ChenChen’s ugly luggage in his room, if you can’t find it, just knock on the doors until you can hear his whining about not wanting to wake up.  I swear, no one listens to me nowadays.”

 

Chanyeol jumped with a start, surprised to hear Hui Qi yelling at him.  Oh no… I forgot about the luggage after she almost killed Chen.  “Sorry, I wasn’t sure if I was still supposed to move it after what happened yesterday…”

 

“Huh?  What happened yesterday?” Sehun inquired.  It seemed that Joonmyun had been too slow in retrieving Sehun or Tao last night and therefore the two did not witness a single thing when it came to their friend almost murdering someone in their own home.

 

“Oh nothing much, my Scrabble buddy ChenChen just came to join the guild.  Don’t worry yourself about it that much Sehun.  I only threw him at the wall since he mentioned them.”  Chanyeol was in shock with how nonchalant Hui Qi was acting about last night’s fiasco, but then again, what should he expect from the leader of a guild that apparently specializes in kidnapping.  Chanyeol was still deep in thought when Hui Qi also requested to “tell that lazy bum ChenChen to get his down here for breakfast too.”

 

Blinking at Hui Qi, Sehun processed the information being tossed at him.  “Uh… okay then.  Anyways, now that we’re done cleaning up, what’s next?”

 

“Oh! I’m glad you asked.  Once everyone’s done eating breakfast, I have a surprise for one lucky member in our guild.”

 

“Eh?  A surprise?  For who?” Tao asked.  Hui Qi was one to rarely give gifts or do anything remotely generous for those she knew, even for Tao, someone she considered basically her family.

 

Tao’s question went unanswered as Hui Qi walked to the dining room door.  Knowing Hui Qi would reveal the surprise after breakfast, Tao stifled his excitement as he followed Sehun to the dining room.  Soon, the whole cleanup crew had already sat down and waited to be served by their chef, Yixing.

 

Yixing poked his head in and noted the absence of three guild members.  “So where’s-” he started but was interrupted by a tap on the shoulder.  Turning around, Yixing was greeted with the sight of Baekhyun… in floral print?  Yixing wasn’t given more time to get accustomed to Baekhyun’s strange style as Baekhyun brushed past him to strut into the dining hall.  With the sound of footsteps coming down the staircase in a hurry, Yixing decided to head back into the kitchen and start serving the food.  He figured that the whole guild would be present by the time he set down his own plate of food and started eating.

 

Grabbing a large tray with the food plates already set, Yixing re-entered the dining room through the kitchen’s swinging doors and grabbed a stand.  Sure enough all the members had gathered, even Chen who seemed to be fidgeting and avoiding looking at Hui Qi.   Yixing quickly set down the stand and proceeded to serve every member.  He then relaxed into his own chair, exhausted from carrying the large tray back and forth.  There has to be a way to serve these people more efficiently…

 

After everyone had finished breakfast, in a considerably shorter amount of time than usual since they were all too curious to participate in mealtime conversation, Hui Qi cleared to gather attention.  “Well, it’s obvious that you are all very curious about my surprise.  And you should be.  This is big news after all.  But before I decide who to give it to, does anyone want to volunteer?”

 

Yixing, being the kind soul he was, wanted to give the others a chance to claim Hui Qi’s surprise, so he did not raise his hand when she asked her question.  However, once again, he saw that smirk appear on her face and suddenly her actions did not seem like they had any good intentions behind them.  He immediately raised his hand and called out, “ME!  Hui Qi pick me!”

 

Yixing’s uncharacteristically bold action surprised many of the guild members, especially Joonmyun, who was more than impressed, stating, quite loudly and with a shy smile on his face, “Wow Xingie!  How nice to see you be so forward for once!”

 

Kris, shocked that his best friend was praising another man burst out, “OH HELL NO!  Screw Yixing!  I want it!  Whatever your surprise is Hui Qi, I want it more than that dumb ‘Xingie’ does!”  There was no way in hell Kris was letting Yixing look good in front of Joonmyeon again.  He would do whatever it took to win Joonmyeon back, even if that included going along with whatever Hui Qi was scheming.

 

Her smirk growing by the second, Hui Qi stated, “That’s exactly what I wanted to hear from you Kris.”  She slapped a messily written flier on the table and exclaimed, “TADA!  Kris, you get the pleasure to complete Mirage’s first job request!  How exciting!”

 

“What?!  We got a request in already?  Without ANY advertising?” Baekhyun pouted.  He had this huge plan on posting fliers all over the city for the guild with his face centered on each one.  Now that they received a request without any help, his plan was a bust.  Now these poor plebeians will never be graced by my flawless face.

 

“Yup Baek.  We, or should I say Kris, got a job this morning.  That flier,” she pointed to the paper on the table, “was left on our door and I thought Kris would be perfect for the job.  It’s a good thing he’s also eager to do it as well, huh?”  Upon hearing her satisfied tone, Kris flushed a bright pink.  He had just walked right into Hui Qi’s trap.  She had wanted him specifically to take this job in the first place.  There was no way he could even dream of backing out of this predicament.

 

Tilting his head to read the flyer sideways, Chanyeol asked, “So… what’s the job anyways?”


With a wide grin on her face, Hui Qi responded, “Capturing a wild lizard.”


A/N: Here's the new chapter as promised.  The next will have some more Chen and we'll get to see Kris on the job so look forward to it in two weeks!

Hey guys, we're back (maybe) to our new (hopefully) regular posting schedule! I bet ya'll are curious as to Mirage's first job!!!