Into Something Good.

The Runaway Generation.

The record spun on the turn table as the speakers emitted the sounds of the newest Beatles album. You were laying on your bed with your skirt spread out around you and your hair fanned out in a similar fashion. Your legs were hanging off the side of the mattress as you swung them back and forth. The house was painfully quiet even with the music that was playing in the background. Your father was off at work, your mother was out getting her hair done at the salon, and your brother was off doing God knows what at the music club. 

You sat up with a puff of air going past your pouty lips. Why did things have to be so damn boring all the time? It was times like these that really made you wish you were more gutsy like James. James was always the one who was out doing all the exciting things and coming home with the best stories to tell. Sure, you parents hated it but they were never able to stay angry with him for long. You shook your head lightly before pushing yourself off of the bed and making your way over to the window. You rested your palms on the window sill and looked down at the street below. The view was the same as usual. The neighbors' lawns were all exquisitely green and their children were all playing happily with each other. The scene was too perfect for your liking. You wrinkled your nose slightly before turning away from the window and pacing around your room. It seemed as though your summer was going to go by painfully slow at this rate. You had no friends to go out with and as you'd been thinking earlier, you weren't bold enough to sneak out like your brother. Is this was Rapunzel felt like? Being all alone most of the time and stuck in the same old place? Every fiber of your being was itching for some kind of excitement, but alas- excitement seemed like a far away dream. 

You continued on moping in your room when you heard the front door open and close. You walked out to the hallway and rested your arms on the banister. It seemed as though your father was finished up with work early today, which also meant that James was going to get his kicked later. 

"Hey, Julie," your father greeted as he kicked his shoes off.

"Hey, dad," you replied as you descended the stair case. 

"Where is everyone?" he questioned, placing his briefcase neatly by the door. 

"Mom is at the salon and James is... out." you nodded, trying to keep your brother's location vague. 

"He's at the music club, isn't he?" your father smoothed his hand over his face and sighed. 

You didn't even bother acting like James was elsewhere, your father had always had an uncanny ability to know exactly where your brother was at all times. 

"Yes," you nodded and pressed your lips into a thin line, mentally apologizing to James.

"Wanna come help me get him?" your father asked, fishing the car keys out of his jacket pocket. 

You blinked a few times. Your father would usually never allow you to set foot in a place like the music club, so this came as a surprise. But, you weren't about to let the opportunity for a little excitement slip through your fingers. 

"Sure!" 

+++ 

Your father pulled up to the front of the music club and parked the car. The outside of the club was intimidating to say the least. The entrance was made of bricks that were painted black, the door itself looking quite worn down. There were tons of 'youngsters' milling about, carrying guitar cases, chatting with friends, and smoking joints. You marveled at the guys' hair that was past their collars and the girls' hair that was well past their waists. Everyone was dressed up in typical hippie garb, suede vests, long skirts, peasant tops, brown ankle boots, and flared jeans. 

"Wow," you mummered, half in amazement and half in surprise. 

You definitely couldn't picture you clean cut, polo shirt-wearing, pro-war brother spending any kind of time here. 

"Would you mind going in and getting him, Julie?" your father asked. "He won't listen if I'm the one to do it,"

"I guess," you nodded, suddenly feeling unsure of yourself. 

You unbuckled your seat belt with shaky hands before opening the door and exiting the car. You gave your dad a quick nod before shutting the door and turning around to face the music club. It was a whole different world compared to the one that you were used to. With your accelerated heart rate, you took small steps until you were standing inside the club itself. The lights were dim and the air was smoky. Loud music was coming from the band on the makeshift stage and amplified through the cheap speakers. 

You pushed your way through the crowd, searching for your brother amongst the hippies. How hard could it be to find him? You were getting ready to give up when you saw someone playing James' guitar in the corner. James never let anyone touch his guitar that he affectionately called 'Blonde Beauty', so it had to be him. With a newfound spring in your step you walked toward who you expected to be James. 

"James! Dad's waiting outside and he isn't happy," you tapped him on the shoulder. 

The boy that you had originally thought to be your brother turned around with a look of confusion on his face. 

"I'm sorry... James just left," the mystery man said with slightly accented English and a sheepish smile. 

"Oh," you managed as you looked over the stranger. 

He really was beautiful. His hair was on the longer side, but it wasn't shaggy. His eyes were a mesmerising shade of dark brown and they curved into crescents when he smiled. His skin was free of flaws and he had the most adorable dimple. You were simply awstruck and a little embarrassed. 

"Sorry to bother you," you smiled awkwardly at the beautiful stranger before walking away. 

You exhaled deeply and covered your face with your hands as you began walking back to the car, sans James. Though the trip to the music club was reasonably uneventful, you didn't feel as though it was all for nothing. You met a boy, a beautiful boy. You didn't know his name and his first impression of you was probably less than great, but you didn't care. You just hoped you'd get the chance to see him again. 

----------------------------------------

A bit of a longer update! Hope you enjoyed it. Lay is introduced in this chapter even if it's only briefly. 

Thanks for reading!

-Yeona