Summer Days.

The Runaway Generation.

You sighed wistfully as you sat on the front porch of your home. The birds were singing and the early morning air was cool against your bare arms. You shivered lightly and wrapped your arms around yourself tightly and leaned back in the crisp white Adirondack chair you were seated in. The morning was always your favorite time of day. The streets were peaceful and the sun was just beginning to rise. No race riots, no war, and no fathers bickering with their sons who wanted nothing more than to be like Mick Jagger. In the morning everything seemed to stand still and it seemed as though the world wasn't starting to crumble. 

"Julie?" you heard your mother's soft voice from behind you. 

You turned your head to look at her and greeted her with a gentle smile. 

"What are you doing up?" she walked toward you before resting her hand lightly on your shoulder. 

"Just thinking," you responded, a sigh escaping your lips. 

"I've been doing quite a bit of that myself," she let out a good natured chuckle before sitting in the chair next to you.

You turned your head and looked at your mother's face. Lately, she'd been looking more than exhausted. Though, you couldn't blame her for that. Your brother was hell bent on joining the war, your father's sister died in a terrible accident, and the neighborhood didn't exactly love your Korean-American family in the neigborhood. You'd always admired her for being able to stay strong through all the pain.

"Are you alright?" you asked with concern lacing your voice. 

"I'm fine. Thanks for asking, honey," she gave you a tight lipped smile and leaned her head back on the chair.

She closed her eyes and rested her clasped hands on her stomach. She always looked so comfortable and worry free that way, even with the hot rollers that were wrapped in her silky black hair. You sighed before getting out of your chair and quietly making your way back into the house. You thought you'd let her have a little peace. 

+++

"Julie, have you seen the car keys?" your brother James came into the kitchen with his guitar case in hand. 

"Good morning to you too," you rolled your eyes as you took a sip of your orange juice. "And no, I think dad took them," 

"Dammit," James ran a hand through his hair and took a seat the kitchen table. "I guess I'll just have to walk,"

"Why do you need the keys so bad? It's not like we have any friends around here," you stood up before making your way over to the sink and placing your dishes into it. "And watch your language, James! You know mom hates when you swear,"

"I'll say whatever I please and I need the keys so I can go to that new music club," he responded, sounding somewhat annoyed. 

"Yeah, because mom and dad would love that," you leaned up against the counter and crossed your arms. 

"Does it look like I care?" James raised an eyebrow. "It's 1967, music is part of the scene. Mom and dad are just going to have to learn to live with it,"

"And you have to live with mom and dad," you countered. 

"Only until I can convince them that I can handle the war," he replied, taking a muffin from the basket on the table. "Besides, a little rock n' roll never hurt anybody,"

"Well, I guess I can't stop you," you sighed. "But don't ask me to bail you out when dad hands your to you," 

"Language!" James scolded with a hint of a smile before standing and grabbing his guitar.

"Now, go before mom gets back from the salon," you laughed and shooed him out of the door.

"Bye, sis! I owe you one,"

----------------------------------------------------------

Hello! 

This is just a quick starter for this story and an introduction for a couple family members. 

Thanks for reading!

-Yeona

 

**not proofread. will revise later