and so does standing in front of the classroom

not crying on a sunday

It was surprisingly the chubby cheek and brooding-aura of a Park Jimin that greeted him on Thursday. Yoongi raised his brows, making sure not to give away his clear confusion as to why the little-always-seemed-to-be-moping-midget was inside the gym, conversing with Jungkook with a basketball tugged under his arm. It was Thursday. And Thursday meant basketball practice. Basketball practice meant dorking around with the five people he called a friend. And it definitely didn't mean a Park Jimin is included.

"Jungkook said he used to play basketball in Seoul so I guess why not," said Hoseok later, tapping his shoulder slightly. "Besides, we do need someone on the bench other than Namjoon," he added with a smirk. (A 'hey, I heard that' could be later on heard from the aforementioned).

Yoongi shrugged, letting a small sigh escaped his mouth as Hoseok gave him a last smile and joined the new kid on the court. It should be okay. In fact he should not give any damn whatsoever. Or maybe Yoongi was someone who had a hard time accepting some new figure into his band of misfit. All he meant was how Thursday had been something special. Something six. Not seven. Adding one completely ruined the balance. For starters it was an odd number. And of course you know what they say about odd numbers.

Yoongi shook his head. That was clearly exaggerated. So what was wrong with simply adding one person? That didn't mean anything. Clearly didn't mean anything.

 

-.+.-

 

That kid was good. That fact was apparent 10 minutes into the game or exactly right after that gloomy kid stopped his rebound. Yoongi only let that happened once before he started playing for real and shoot his third 3 pointer of the game.

"Hyung, you're killing us," said Jungkook between his pant.

"If I meant it, you'll be strung up on your neck, hanging lifelessly with your tongue sticking out under the basketball ring. Cause that's how you really kill someone," Yoongi said, wiping his drenched forehead.

"You can switch with Namjoon if you want," commented Taehyung to his teammate. This 3 vs 3 match had left Namjoon apparently deserted on the bench with arm crossed and a scowl across his face.

"Nah, I better faint before having Namjoon-hyung replace me," laughed Jungkook.

(And of course the supposed Kim returned this mockery with a, "Hey I'll show you that I can get the ball in the hoop at least once!")

 

-.+.-

 

His Thursday ended with his team victory and a suggestion from the angry Namjoon that maybe Yoongi should be the one sitting on the bench next week. To make things even, said Seokjin, because today Yoongi clearly butchered the new kid. They exchanged words as they walked together outside of the gym. Mostly saying how great Jimin was, how cool his move was when he blocked that first rebound, how good he was with his throw and coordination, and the one that itched Yoongi's ear, how Jimin should join their team.

The said boy though, didn't talk much during the day. His expression was still consisted of the self-brooding low-confident that he was, giving a small comment and reply to this and that before facing his beloved transparent girlfriend that resided on the ground. He kept on hiding his gaze (or maybe that kid fell in love with his feet, who knew).

His friends quickly parted on their own way and again he found himself in a situation much like before. Here they were, alone. Jimin was walking in front of him outside of the school gate to the direction that he was headed also. He kept his mouth silent, eyes still fixed on the Park in front of him, wondering when the figure would disappear to the nearest turn.

Ten minutes past and Yoongi started wondering whether Jimin's house was next to his. Apart from his other friends, Yoongi’s house was in Songcheon-gil or practically another thirty minutes worth of walking from the heart of Yeoryang-myeon towards the north, requiring him to walk pass three bridges in total and acres of rice field until he got to this particular five minute worth of steep road before he finally reached his house. Though as tiring it could be he didn’t really mind the walk, since he got to do what he love the most in complete silence. That pretty much explained why he clearly didn't need to care about Jimin so there they were walking quietly with Yoongi ten foot steps away behind his back.

The much taller boy (by 1 cm only but considered more like 10) turned his head towards the sky. As much as he hated this place, he knew he wouldn't get a sky like this in Seoul, where the red spill on top of the orange and yellow with the purple blooming here and there. The dot that was the moon watched the great painting longingly across it as its beloved paramore descended into a quiet slumber in the west. His nightly companions waiting far behind, ready to embrace the day the sun had left, seeping night and twinkling wonders into the artist's canvass.

This was his favorite time of the day, with hands resting behind his head and legs walking without being told where to. His minds slowly racing and words would fill up his head before fingers slowly tapping behind his other palm. This was the reason why the thirty minute walk felt like mere minutes, the fresh mountain air and the lovely sky being his sole companion for the day.

His imagination stopped only by the turning of heads in front of him. Jimin turned his head, maybe realizing or wondering who the person walking behind him was. He quickly turned his heads again upon realizing the existence of Yoongi, breaking their 2 seconds eye contact.

And again in time like this thus Yoongi show how sometimes he was not really the cold-hearted, lazy, not caring of other people's business person that his friend thought. Those were actually the personas he proudly carried upon himself.

"Why do you left Seoul?" Yoongi nonchalantly asked.

It felt exactly like the last time they held a proper conversation (well, if you can say that it was a conversation).

Jimin hesitated before answering a, "Why do you care," three steps later.

Of course. Why should the boy answer to him. To the cold Min Yoongi who made snark comments and had seen him crying alone in a classroom one day.

"No reason," he lightly answered. For it was none of his business to begin with. Curiosity was what he would blame. Because of course, who in their right mind would abandon such place for a series of rural houses surrounded by forests and rice fields? Turned out that right mind would be Park Jimin.

They were still 10 feet apart without the two of them even looking to each other's direction (which Yoongi thought was supposed to be done in Jimin's part).

"I left-."

He thought the boy wouldn't answer.

"-because this place is not Seoul. And there are people who don't want me to be there."

They kept on walking without another word. Somehow though, Yoongi could imagine the same tears flowed from the boy's eyes. He found that idea and image somehow annoying. 

"Too bad, nobody wants you to be here either," he commented with a chuckle.

 

 

(Only later would he realize how inappropriate his comment was. Don't blame him, Yoongi thought. That was a joke and a one way to hearten up the boy's spirit. Sadly, Jimim didn't think quiet so.)

 

 

Today Jungkook even took the new kid to our Thursday. He seemed to be one hell of a sad bastard.

 

 -.+.-

 

They were conversing. He could hear the low tone behind his head. Why did he care to pay any attention? Clearly because history was giving him a snore. It had reached 'that' level of boredom that any stupid thing Taehyung was doing started to become appealing to his eyes. 'That' level indeed. Yoongi turned his head around, stealing a glimpse through the corner of his eyes. They were drawing something on the paper.

Stupid, indeed. This time he turned his head only to see the horribly-drawn picture of their history teacher with moustache and a big mole on her nose.

"Make a beard for her," whispered Jimin to Taehyung who'd been the one that hold the pen. Taehyung eagerly drew a long spiky beard around her chin. "What if we make her hairy?" said Taehyung. The two clearly didn't realize Yoongi's attention. It just also happened that the three of them didn't realize the teacher, already walking towards their table.

"You're stupid. Add some chest hair. I believe she has them," commented Yoongi, joining the two of them.

"You believe I have what, Mr. Min?"

Yoongi gulped before turning his head towards his teacher's face alongside the two behind him.

"A beautiful face non comparable even to Cleopatra?"

"It appeared that I have some detention for the three of you, young boys."

 

 -.+.-

 

And here he was grateful that the detention that was spoken of was none other than being told to stand outside of the classroom during the lesson. It was a relief, in fact, to be free from the captivity of a boresome lesson it should be convicted of killing the students with her monotonous voice and expressionless face. Yoongi wished he could just simply close his eyes and descended into a nice slumber. Yes, he wished to accomplish all that with both his feet still standing.

Jimin was standing next to him though he didn’t pay any attention whatsoever to the boy. Being here was indeed better than inside if only he could get the sleep he longed for. It was only the snore that made him turned his head. If Yoongi was having trouble keeping his head up and having his eyes opened for the rest of the day, Taehyung had developed the very ability of sleeping oh-so-soundly with head resting on his shoulder and two very capable feet still holding his figure straight.

But then came something more than just the odd (rather ridiculous) view in front of him. That was oddly implanted in his mind, a series of laughter he never thought would be heard. Then a smile followed soon after, replacing the pout that had been a part of the face for all he'd known. It took him a few seconds to realize that it all came from Jimin. It was Jimin who laughed. Laughing on Taehyung, he persumed, with all that stupid face of his and his half-opened mouth, drooling from one corner of his mouth, making his already stupid face a bit more idiotic than it already was. But Jimin was indeed laughing. It was very hyperbolic of him to think that such noise wouldn't ever come from the mouth of a Park Jimin.

He was staring for too long, it seemed, because the view he'd been enthralled in soon twisted into furrowed brows and red cheek. Only then he realized that Jimin was looking back at him. It didn't take long before it was Yoongi himself who developed the same rosen cheek as the boy. He looked away at that instant, choosing to fix his gaze upon the floor instead.

The air felt heavy around his shoulder.

"No, I wasn't looking at you," he said, still managing to keep his normal tone, something alongside the line of faint disinterest and boredom. Because no, he was not a girl. He wasn't Jaein who likes to steal glances towards Jungkook or Minju who likes to hang around on the gym on Thursday just to see them. But then again Minju was there for a reason indeed.

Jimin though, just smiled and held back a small laugh, something that of course Yoongi always missed. 

 

-.+.-

 

That night he found himself writing another series of rap line that just happened to cross his mind before the usual profanity turned suddenly into accords of his every day’s life and activities.

 

 

We got to stand in front of the classroom because of Taehyung and the brat

 

 

And just as easy as that he remembered Jimin’s laugh, how it lit up the gloomy brat’s face and how it lightened up his as well. A smile spread across Yoongi’s face and without him realizing he had scribbled down an unnecessary small line at the bottom of the page.

 

 

The brat laughed.

 

 

He was thinking about adding another worthless adjective that would serve as a description of the laugh that somehow had found its way being embedded in his mind. He was halfway through that when logic hit him like a train, reminding him how even mentioning the laugh was an act stupid to carry out by a Min Yoongi.

 

 

(He scribbled the last sentence with a black marker furiously soon after)

Notes:

comments and upvotes~ anyway, i welcome criticism. any thought of yours, please share them. thank you for reading ' ')/