003

Our Two Bedroom Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 A few hours later, I was sleeplessly tossing and turning in my bed. I gave up with a sigh, wrapped my blanket around my shoulders and silently tapped down the stairs and into the living room.

Unexpectedly, the TV was still on, muted, and I noticed a shadow slouching on the couch. But that was my plan!, I whined to myself and kept myself from stomping on the ground. I bit my lip, weighing whether or not to peek around the sofa, seeing if Jonghyun was asleep.

I went for a subtle cough, but since he showed no sign of recognition, I sneaked around the piece of furniture. Jonghyun had the blanket pulled up to his nose, laying on the side with his knees pulled up to his chest. His breathing was steady and I saw that he had one hand curled around something.

I stretched my neck to get a better look and found Areum curled up to a ball of fluff, snuggled up into his hand. A smile crept on my lips and I silently cursed myself.

The TV program changed to a tele shopping channel when the clock showed 3 in the morning. I had decided to not wake him up and instead spent the past three and a half hours watching him sleep. Hearing his steady breaths and the cat's soft purring sent me in and out of dozing off, but I couldn't find sleep.

I untangled my legs and wrapped the blanket tighter around my body as I stood up. I quarreled with myself if I should wake Jonghyun up and tell him to go to his bed, but he looked so peaceful that I decided to just let him be.

I crept in between the sofa and the coffee table, but unfortunately, my blanket caught a hold of the remote, shoving it down onto the ground. I flinched and my eyes immediately flicked to sleeping beauty over there. He didn't wake up, but he started moving, causing Areum to get up and jump down to the ground, brushing along my legs.

In his sleep, Jonghyun furrowed his eyebrows and a look of pain appeared on his face. He pulled his knees closer to his body and clasped the fabric of the rug tight into his fist. I hurried to get away so I wouldn't really wake him up in the end. When I was just about to head out into the hall, I heard him groan. He shuffled his position and, as I turned around to leave, I heard him mumble a name.

Seojun.

The morning sun blinded my eyes as I headed for the metro station in just a few hours later. I had gotten zero amount of sleep, so I spent the ride with my eyes closed, listening to the sounds surrounding me.

I heard the cable car accelerating and the squeaking sound it made whenever it braked. The sound of kids and teenagers of all ages filled the air and I furrowed my eyebrows in displease. Was it too hard to talk in a reasonable volume – was it too much to ask for them to not yell at each other in excitement?

Out of the metro, I dragged my tired legs up to the escalator. The sun beams felt nice on my skin, but the brightness hurt my eyes, so I shove my pair of RayBan sunglasses on my nose and jumped in surprise when I felt a touch on my shoulder. In the heat of the moment, I assumed the person to be a thief, so I started yelling in the hopes of scaring him away.

“Yah!” I shrieked, holding onto my purse tightly and spun around. “Leave me alone, you filthy-!”

I stopped yelling, feeling bummed out. It indeed was not a thief.

I looked up into the startled face of Min Yoongie, his hand extended and his fingers closed around a styrophor cup with – what I assumed to be – coffee.

“M-morning” he mumbled, clearly confused.

I lifted my hand to my face and rubbed my temples.

“I'm...I'm sorry. I just thought you...” I sighed, never finishing my sentence.

Lightly shaking his head, he extended his arm a little more, gesturing me to grab the cup.

“I saw you in the metro and got this for you” he said, the corners of his mouth curling up a little.

I closed my eyes and sighed, returning his cautious smile with a thankful one.

“Just what I need. Thanks a lot, Yoongi.”

In the company's foyer, we met Ji Yong, who immediately wrapped one arm around my shoulders, pulling me to follow Yoongi into our office.

“So, how was the night after starting this new job? I bet you dreamt about me, huh?” he grinned, causing Yoongi to flick his forehead.

“You wish” he laughed and, setting down his things, started the coffee machine.

Jonghyun was already there, his head so deep into work, that he didn't even noticed us. I felt my cheeks flush a little as I remembered that I spent half of my night watching him sleep. I felt like a stalker.

I settled in, putting a few more trinkets onto my desk. A few moments later, I looked up as the door opened. My stepfather stood in the office, the hint of a smile on his face as he eyed me.

“Good morning!” he said in his deep vice and everyone except Jonghyun and I jumped up and bowed to him. Ji Yong sighed and pulled me up by my arm, murmuring

“Are you dense? This is our boss. Bow!” I turned my face in confusion.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter