001

Our Two Bedroom Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  “Sung Ra, your step father thought it was time that you left the comfort of your mother's care and move into your own place. Also, we got you a job at his editorial office. Tomorrow's your first day. We hired a moving company that will come at 1 pm to pick up your belongings and move them to your new apartment, so make sure to pack things up. There are boxes in the basement. There is a key and the address in the envelope. We will come and pay you a visit tomorrow for dinner.

-Love, Mom”

I read the neatly written note over and over again.

“They are kicking me out!” I spat in disbelief and smacked the paper back on the kitchen counter.

Grabbing the white envelope by the corner, I stomped to the living room and threw myself on the sofa. I flipped on my back and held the ominous thing in the air, eyeing it suspiciously.

With a heavy sigh, I slipped my index finger underneath the flap and pulled it out of the envelope, opening it. Something landed on my face, hitting my forehead and sliding off next to me.

I fumbled around for the object, and as my fingers touched something cool, I grabbed it. It was the key to my new apartment – and the little paper, that floated out after giving the envelope a little shake, bore the address to it.

I'm Park Sung Ra, 23 years old and I live in my mother's new husband's house. Well, I lived. I majored in journalism at Seoul National University about 2 months ago and had literally been vegetating at home since then.

My mother and stepfather had been really displeased by me since graduation, since I didn't immediately get a high class job. They always pushed me to be the best and were unsatisfied with my results, but they always bragged in front of their friends.

And now – they were just kicking me out like this. Without a warning, without any words spoken about it.

Sitting on the bed, I skeptically let my eyes wander from my open standing closet to the moving box and back. I propped my elbows on my knees and put my chin in my hands.

“Who do they think they are, just deciding over my life like this” I grumbled and kicked a single sock, which landed on my floor lamp. I wheezed an unamused laughter, pushed myself up and blindly grabbed a stack of clothes and stuffed them carelessly into the box.

“Kicking me out of the home I'm not paying for” I continued my little rant and kicked one of the already packed and closed moving cartons.

Just when I was done, I heard the doorbell chime through the house and dragged my tired bones down the stairs and opened the door. In front of it stood 3 men – one around my age and the other two around 35, maybe – and I invited them inside with a hand gesture.

All the time packing I spent – and it only took mere minutes to remove all of my belongings, my memories out of the place I called my home. With a long sigh, I pulled my room door shut behind me and turned to look at it one last time, as if to say good-bye.

As I stepped outside, I raised one hand to shield my eyes from the merciless sunlight. The moving staff was just closing the back of their van – the loud thud echoing in the back of my head. This was it. I'm going to leave now.

The starting engine and the unhealthy sounding noises evolving from the moving truck ripped me out of my thoughts. I was reliving memories I had shared with this place for 3 years. Good and bad ones. Memories that made me laugh, and some that made me who I was today.

I bit my lip and started digging around in my purse, pulling out my car keys and the piece of paper with my new address written on it.

On the car ride, I listened to the robotic voice of my GPS system and let it lead me through the busy traffic of Seoul city. I saw the city rushing by and when I stood at red traffic lights, I picked up a bit of strangers' conversations. I heard them complain over the economy and politics, I heard them cheer on their favorite idols, or kids laughing because their parents had bought them ice cream. Suddenly, a lonely feeling crept up my spine and I began to feel a little nervous.

What if I wasn't able to live on my own? What if I didn't like my colleagues?

What if I fail my parents again?

A loud honk behind me pulled me back into the here and now and I saw, that the traffic light had turned green and I hit the gas pedal.

After another 20 minutes, I had finally heard the monotone voice say “You reached your destination” and looked over at the house with a mix of curiosity and caution.

The house looked really nice. It was in the middle of Seoul, but there was fencing all around

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter