Chapter 7

Memories of You

     "Ah, Woobin's little girly," were the first words of out Minhyuk's mouth that quickly curved into a sly grin.

    Suzy was speechless.

    The door slowly closed behind him and the argument inside continued with the start of Suzy's father's voice.

    "What's...going on?" Suzy asked shyly. 

    She felt so embarrassed. What was someone like him doing in this neighborhood anyway?

    Minhyuk gently put down his suitcase.

    "You know, if I had known who you were, I would've treated you a bit better."

    "Huh?" Suzy was perplexed.

    "Princess!" Minhyuk sang quietly, keeping his voice low, "How have you been?"

    Suzy dropped her purse onto the ground as her fingers loosened their grip on the handle.

    "No way," she whispered to herself.

    "Yeah, rather than have the security carry you off," Minhyuk chuckled, "I would've escorted you out myself."

    His words didn't go into Suzy's ears. There was no way that this was her childhood friend...

    All Suzy remembered there was the little boy from many years ago. He would always come to play with her on the street playground and often stopped inside to have dinner with her family. She had never met his parents because they were always out of the house, but she was told that he didn't live nearby so her parents had watched over him. She knew him as Minhyuk oppa, and when he had moved away, it had taken her a few weeks to accept the loss of a good friend. 

    But to see him right now, in this image, was astounding. 

    "Surprised?" Minhyuk laughed, "So am I. I didn't know the little girl had turned into such a brat."

    Minhyuk had been speaking with a smile but at the end of his sentence, he frowned.

    Suzy's excitement died down. 

    "Leave already, then," she snapped. 

    Her mother peeked through the doorway. 

    "Suzy-yah?"

    Her parents, Minhyuk, his father, and Suzy were all seated at the table. Suzy noticed that there was a white dog lying down on the couch of her living room. She pointed at it and was about to ask her father whose dog it was, when Minhyuk, sitting next to her whispered,

    "Belle. She's a Berger Blanc Suisse. It's Swiss for Swiss White Shepherd dog, although you probably didn't know."

    Suzy jammed her elbow into his stomach, causing Minhyuk to recline quickly to his seat. 

    Her mother noticed and frowned at her. 

    Suzy ignored it. 

    "Ahem," Suzy's father cleared his throat, "So, as all of you may or may not already know, YinGwan is dealing with certain problematic issues at the moment, and as a long time friend of its chairman, I have decided to help a buddy out."

    Suzy glanced over at the man dressed in an Italian branded suit. 

    Help? This rich man needed help?

    "Therefore, our chairman, Mr. Kang and his son Minhyuk will be staying at our residence for a little while."

    Without thinking, Suzy stood up from her chair abruptly.

    "No." 

    Suzy's father immediately reprimanded her.

    "This is not your choice to make! This is my house!"

    Minhyuk's father seemed uncomfortable, silently fiddling with his hands. 

    "There's no room anyway!" Suzy argued, "And seriously? Just because I don't legally own this house means I don't get a say in who's going to live here?"

    "They're not going to live here permanently," her mother insisted, "And I just hope that you'll calm down. This is so unlike you!"

    "Oh, please!" Suzy rolled her eyes, "Oma! Appa! You can't do this! You don't even know half the guy this Kang Min—"

    "Actually, Mrs. Bae, I wanted to inform you that I bumped into Suzy yesterday and she left a strong impression on me. Actually, if I was to go into detail—"

    Suzy clamped a hand over his mouth. 

    "Let's not dwell on company matters," Mr. Kang said quietly. 

    Minhyuk pushed away Suzy's hand.

    "Actually, no, I feel a great need to speak of this news," Minhyuk persisted. 

    Suzy stamped on his foot, but Minhyuk didn't show any effect.

    "Let's hear you out," Suzy's father said.

    "The reason being is," Minhyuk shot one mischievous glance at Suzy, "In the waiting room for the interviews—"

    Suzy knew this was the only chance she would have to stop him from telling the truth. Nothing legitimate came to her mind but one thing.

    "We've been dating for some time now!" she blurted out.

    That stopped Minhyuk. Thank God.

    "You've what?" Suzy's mother was flabbergasted.

    Even Minhyuk's father showed an expression on his face.

    "We're—" but Suzy kept Minhyuk from speaking.

    "I felt it was wrong to apply for a job at YinGwan , but Oppa insisted," Suzy said and gently placed her hand on his shoulder, "But he was afraid of telling everyone since we came from different backgrounds, but now look! We're practically the same social class now!"

    There was no response. 

    Suzy realized her last sentence had been a mistake.

    "Why don't you two just go upstairs while the adults talk?" her father suggested.

    "Alone? They're going up stairs alone?" Suzy's mother said urgently, "They're dating! You can't let—"

    "That's not really important right now, is it?" 

    Minhyuk and Suzy got up and went for the stairs, when Mr. Kang caught Minhyuk by the arm.

    "First, you don't show any concern that your father's company went bankrupt, and now I learn that you were too busy two timing to focus on work?" his father whispered angrily into his son's ear, so that nobody else could hear, "You're pathetic."

    Minhyuk slowly pulled away and smiled warmly. 

    "I know, Dad. Thanks for the comforting words. It really helps."

    Suzy waited on the stairs. 

    She was pretty sure that Minhyuk's father had looked furious.

    Minhyuk finally stood behind her.

    He gave a devilish grin.

    "So, where's your bedroom?"