Chapter 6

Memories of You

    "There's no way this is happening."

    Suzy was on her way to a cafe where she had decided to meet up with Woobin.

    As she held her phone to her ear, her legs picked up the pace as she approached the cafe's entrance. She found Woobin sitting at a nearby circular table. To her surprise, Woobin seemed unflappable. He was sipping a hot coffee at a slow pace and his lips gradually stretched into a warm smile when he laid eyes on Suzy.

    "Sunbae!" Suzy called out, still holding the phone.

    Woobin winced as he jerked his phone away from his ear.

    "Hey, you didn't hang up yet."

    Suzy rolled her eyes and sat down in her seat.

    "Is this really a time to joke around?"

    "Hey, why are you fretting? You can't lose a job you never had."

    Suzy was taken aback. That comment hurt.

    Woobin noticed that Suzy's posture had stiffened once he had spoke.

    "Oh, wow," he gently slapped his lips, "Sorry, that was not right of me to say."

    Suzy did her best to ignore what she had just heard.

    "What are you going to do?" Suzy asked him, changing the subject.

    "Find another job?" Woobin shrugged.

    "Woobin, you just lost your job. Aren't you at least a bit concerned?" Suzy stated.

    "Thing is, I knew this was going to happen," Woobin sighed and took another sip from his drink.

    "You knew YinGwan was going to do bankrupt?" Suzy gasped.

    "Can you be quiet?" Woobin snapped at her, "There are a lot of people here."

    "Sorry," Suzy said, this time slapping her lips.

    "No, not in that literal sense," Woobin corrected, "But I was pretty sure the business was about to take a bad turn. I'm not a super high executive or anything, so it's not like I had the power to prevent all this from happening. But for sure, once they made a wrong decision with their investments, I knew YinGwan was about to go downhill."

    "Why didn't you say anything?" Suzy was confused.

    "Suzy-yah," Woobin explained in a serious tone, "The real world just doesn't work like that. Only the higher-ups get to make the final decisions. An employee like me won't dare to speak against a choice made by the Chairman."

    "But still..." Suzy's voice trailed off.

    "But, why did you want to meet up?" Woobin asked, "I'm not trying to be offensive, but I don't know why you're so worked up about this."

    Suzy cleared and pushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

    Yeah...why had she come? Why had she insisted on seeing Woobin sunbae?

    "Whatever," Woobin chuckled and stood up from his chair, "You're right. I should be a bit more concerned with this whole ordeal. I've got things to clear up back at work, so...do you want me to drive you home?"

    In Woobin's car, everything was neat,organized, not a speck of dust. Not to mention that his car was quite the expensive one, which made Suzy wonder...what type of family did Sunbae come from? 

    As she scanned her surroundings in silence, she realized that she actually didn't know anything about Woobin sunbae, except what school he had went to (obviously), his age, and phone number. She didn't know his address... 

    "I am curious as to what is occupying your mind that you've forgotten how to speak," Woobin teased. 

    "Ah, sorry," Suzy said, shaking her head, "I was just thinking."

    "About?"

    Suzy didn't hear him. 

    Maybe Woobin sunbae came from a wealthy family so he didn't have to worry so much about his job? But that wouldn't make sense, because why wouldn't he have had a higher position at work? Suzy's head was spinning.

    Her thoughts were interuppted when she felt a sudden heat on her forehead. 

    "You don't have a fever..." Woobin said as he reclined his right hand back to the steering wheel. 

    "Oh, yeah, I'm just still out of it," Suzy said hastily. 

    In about ten minutes, Woobin's car pulled up on the street of Suzy's apartment. 

    "A lot of people live in this area?" Woobin said, as he noticed a few black cars parked alongside the curb. 

    That was weird, Suzy thought in her head.

    "I'll walk you to the door," Woobin offered as Suzy opened the car door to exit.

    "Nah, it's okay," she declined politely.

    "You sure?" Woobin asked again.

    "Sunbae, it takes less than a minute to walk up the steps," Suzy laughed, although she knew she was in no situation to laugh about things. Her parents were still freaking out.

    "Alright, just making sure," Woobin said.

    Suzy shook her head as his car eventually went out of sight. 

    It wasn't even dark or anything.

    She walked up to her front door when she heard intense arguing inside.

    "Yeah, we are good friends, but you can't expect us to just give you everything all of a sudden!" she heard her father shout.

    "Yobo, it's fine! We can do it," Suzy's mother said.

    "I am so sorry. Maybe this was a bad idea." A different voice said quietly.

    "You think?" Suzy's father bellowed.

    "We will be best on our way," the unfamiliar voice said.

    Suzy heard footsteps approaching and the door knob turned.

    "Who are—"

    Her voice cut short. 

    Kang Minhyuk was standing in the doorway to her apartment holding a suitcase.