Chapter 5

Memories of You

      "Oma..." Suzy laughed uneasily as she was dragged into the kitchen.

      "Unni!" her younger female cousin cheered, "Congratulations!"

      "And to have a job at a place like YinGwan!" her uncle exclaimed. 

      Her father poured her a shot of soju. She bowed her head slowly as she accepted the drink.

      "My daughter!" her father beamed, "Don't forget that your first paycheck comes to us first!"

      The entire family erupted into laughter. Except for Suzy of course. 

      "Unni!" her cousin said as they were eating, "Once I get my master's, I want to apply for a job at YinGwan too! How was the interview?"

      Suzy's fingers were sweaty as she held her chopsticks.

      "You know," she began, "it all depends on the person, so I can't really say."

      "How was it for you?" her other cousin chimed in.

      Witnessing unfair treatment and being dragged out by security?

      "It wasn't so bad," she replied nervously.

      "You have now idea how worried I was," Suzy's mother sighed, full of relief, "But I knew you could do it!"

      Her mother placed some fish cakes onto her plate.

      "I know how much you love these," her mother smiled.

      A pang of guilt hit Suzy's heart.

      "This made my day," Suzy's uncle said, "You know, everyone's been struggling these days. It's good to have the younger ones as support."

      Suzy ended not being able to eat her beloved fish cakes. She just couldn't.

      Once everyone had left, Suzy raced into her room and buried her face into her pillow. She soon heard a knock at her door. 

      "Suzy-yah."

      It was her mother.

      "Oma, what..." Suzy whined.

      "Suzy-yah," her mother gently sat down at the foot of her bed. 

      Suzy got up to match eyes with her mother.

      "I didn't tell you this before, but I think it's okay now," her mother stated, "Actually, your father and I have been struggling quite a bit these days. The restaurant isn't doing as well as before ever since the new mall was built and the retail sales business isn't that lucrative. We were very concerned. But it wasn't for us."

      Her mother held her daughter's face. 

      "We were so worried that we wouldn't be able to support you enough."

      Suzy's heart was about to rip.

      "Oma!" she said as if she was angry, "Why are you telling me this? Making me sad."

      Her mother laughed.

      "I just want to tell you," her mother planted a kiss on her daughter's forehead, "that we're so proud of you."

      Suzy couldn't meet her mother's eyes. She continued to stare at her hands. 

      "Rest," her mother concluded, "You had a long, tiresome day."

      Suzy leaned back and plopped onto her bed. 

       "Oma..." she sobbed quietly to herself, "I'm so sorry..."

 

       "So, who was she again?"

       Minhyuk and Woobin exited the restaurant. Nana was waiting impatiently.

       "College hoobae," Woobin responded.

       "She was really...uh, interesting," Minhyuk chuckled.

       "I'll apologize on her behalf," Woobin bowed his head, "But I am quite sure she didn't mean any bad intentions."

       "I know, I know," Minhyuk said, "I'm not saying she's a bad person, but the company needs to maintain its image. All personal intervention is heavily restricted."

       "Forgive me for asking," Woobin added, "But does that mean she doesn't have a chance at the internship?"

       Minhyuk sighed and started to walk to his car. 

       "Woobin-ah," he stated, "Number one. Sympathy in the professional world will get you nowhere."

       Minhyuk gave him a short wave and unlocked the car. 

       Woobin put his hands in his pockets and walked back and forth.

        "Ah...Suzy," he said to himself, "What's gonna happen to you?"

        

        It was the next morning. 

        Suzy hadn't received any contact from Woobin. Thankfully. 

        "So, what's going to happen now?" her mother said excitedly, "When do you start work?"

        Suzy felt helpless. If only her parents had known just an interview didn't guarantee a job, then she would not be embroiled in such a mess.

        "I'm not sure..." she replied.

        "Really?" her mother was surprised, "I thought a big company like that would be on top of things."

        "I'm just an intern," Suzy stated, "And plus my pay isn't that great, either."

        "Still," her mother emphasized, "You could start from there and rise up the ranks later."

        "Yeah, yeah," Suzy brushed off.

        She didn't want to continue talking about her little lie.

        Her father walked into the living room and the TV.

        "Suzy, do you want to go buy some new clothes? I think we should buy more formal attire," her mother said.

        Suzy politely declined.

        "Nope, it's okay, I'm really—"

        "Suzy-yah!"

        Her father sprinted into the kitchen.

        "Why didn't you tell me the truth about work?"

        Suzy froze.

        "The truth?" her mother was confused.

        Oh no.

        "You don't have a job!" her father bellowed.

        "Appa!" Suzy went down on her knees, "I can explain! Appa!"

        "Yobo, what do you mean?" her mother demanded.

        "YinGwan went bankrupt!" 

        Suzy jumped up.

        "What?"