06장

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     *Warning: mentions of suicide*

 

 

    I woke up startled, heart hammering. I looked at the clock on the wall to see that I woke up half an hour earlier than I was supposed to. I couldn’t sleep well, I guess I was expecting the devil himself to come and burn the house down with me inside. Really, if he knew where I lived, I’m sure he wouldn’t have hesitated. I really did it yesterday, I asked for it and Sehun was right. I would not go to him begging for forgiveness, I do have that little bit of pride. I’m just afraid of what he might do next.

I pushed the covers off my body and headed for the bathroom, turning on the faucet to take a quick shower. After getting ready and dressed in my uniform, I decided to pull my hair in a ponytail since we have P.E. today. I don’t enjoy tying my hair up, but it’s too long and I would sweat too much, something I don’t want nor like. Taking my backpack, I headed downstairs, the cooked food flooding my nostrils. Mom was in the kitchen, hurryingly turning off the gas.

“Chae-Yeong” She turned around, eyes wide “Take a seat, mom made breakfast for you” I nodded quietly, sitting down at the table. I glanced at my left hand, seeing the freshly changed dressing. I looked back at my mom who was placing some warm sandwiches on a plate. Did she even see my hand? When was the last time she asked me how I was?

“Mom” I called, making her turn around, curiosity on her face “Did you visit Bo-Yeong yesterday?”

“Yes, she was sad you couldn’t go” She muttered, placing the plate in front of me. I nodded, thanking her. Taking small bites, I watched as mom drank her coffee, sitting opposite me.

“Chae-Yeong” She looked up at me, eyebrows furrowed “How’s school? You haven’t told me about it in a long time”

“Because you are never home and even when you see me, you don’t care” I answered, looking at her blankly.

“Don’t say that” Mom’s eyebrows furrowed “I know I’ve been neglecting you but--I have two jobs, and your sister is sick. I have a lot to do, Chae-Yeong”

“So do I” I muttered, looking away “I’ve been studying well, if that’s what you wanted to know. I’m still the first in school”

“That’s good, mom is proud of you” She smiled at me, but I couldn’t return it “Chae-Yeong, it’s okay to let go of it sometimes. It’s okay to scream when the pain is too much. It’s okay to cry when your heart is hurting. But don’t forget this, mom is always here for you when you think you can’t go forward anymore. I will be here and help you get through all the pain, okay?”

“Okay” I muttered, sighing loudly. I glanced at my left hand, looking back at her unsure.

“I cut my palm yesterday”

“How?” Mom’s eyebrows furrowed.

“I fell in school and the plate broke. It cut my palm”

“Chae-Yeong, you are so clumsy” Mom shook her head, standing up to get ready for her work.

“Someone tripped me” I whispered, looking at my palm, feeling it itch.

“What? I didn’t catch what you said” She stepped back inside the kitchen.

“I said I was going to school earlier today” I smiled at her, standing up “Have a nice day, see you later”

“Stay strong, yeah? Mom loves you, Chae-Yeong” Mom raised her fist in an encouraging way making me nod with a small smile. With a sigh, I left the house, heading to the thing I hated the most in this world.

 

The students avoided looking at me, making me feel uncomfortable. Will it be like this from now on? If this means they will leave me alone, I can take it. I opened my locker, looking around. No one was in this part of the hallway yet, it was still early to be in school. Leaning a little against my locker door, I closed my eyes, trying to relax a little. Today was Friday, so if I avoid everyone, I should be fine. For three days I don’t have to see them, so I can actually relax. I jumped when a locker was slammed open, making my body tense up. It was coming from behind me, and the owner of the locker across mine is none other than Oh Sehun. But it was too quiet, he was alone...and he’s never alone in this damn school. I straightened up, leaning my head more into my locker. I should just focus on taking my books and ignore him. I’m sure he saw me but did nothing, I should do the same thing. With fumbling hands I took out my books for my next periods and quickly closed my locker, locking it back. When I turned around, I gasped. Sehun turned around at the same time, watching me. I gulped, clearing my throat and starting to walk down the hallway, towards my class. I didn’t take even two steps when he was walking beside me, closer than it was normal for two people who dislike each other...and when the whole hallway was empty. My heart started beating faster as I clutched my books to my chest. This wasn’t right, he was too quiet. You know what they say, the quiet before the storm. And for once I’m sure I don’t want to see that damn storm.

I glanced at him from the corner of my eyes, seeing him looking forward. With furrowed eyebrows I did the same, ignoring my heartbeat and my mind screaming at me to run. I mean, he didn’t say nor do anything. That was good, right? No, because it was coming from Oh Sehun, and you can never know what that boy will do next. The air suddenly felt too hot and I had to blink a few times to clear my vision. What was worrying me more is that for once, Oh Sehun, was wearing his uniform normally. His blazer would usually be missing, but today he was wearing it perfectly. Even his hair was parted at the middle, he looked like a normal student. And that’s not good, not at all. I couldn’t resist looking at him again. However, what I saw wasn’t what I was expecting. Who knew that Oh Sehun was able to give such blank look? I never saw this look before, you couldn’t read anything from his face. It was like a red brick wall that couldn’t be destroyed unless with a strong vehicle. He stopped walking and I found myself stopping as well. I turned my body towards him, just staring at his face. He was doing the same, one hand inside his pocket. What should I do? Should I ask him if he’s fine? How many times did he ask me if I was fine after bullying me? That’s right, not even once. A shiver running down my spine, I turned around and did what I do best, ran down the hallway to my class. Inside my class I was safer than standing beside him in an empty hallway.

 

Lunch time came and I was now convinced something happened to Oh Sehun. Was this a clone? Did he hit his head somehow and forgot about how he used to be? Because it’s not just him not bullying me, he wasn’t even speaking to his friends. Earlier, while I was organizing my books, he came took his books and walked off to God knows where. Even his friends raised an eyebrow at him, but pretended nothing was unusual.

“Hey, fatty” Baekhyun called, making me roll my eyes “What happened to Sehun?”

“Are you seriously asking me that?” I turned around, eyebrows raised. Was he really that stupid?

“I mean, someone must know what happened to him, right?” He shrugged, checking out his nails, looking bored.

“Well, I don’t know about you Baekhyun--but I was never buddies with Sehun, so try again later” I closed my locker, about to turn around.

“It’s because of what you did yesterday” Jongdae spoke up, glaring at me “He won’t even speak to us”

“And that’s not my business, so I don’t care” I smiled at them, shrugging.

“If I were you, Song Chae-Yeong, I would enjoy the quiet before the storm” Jongdae turned serious, making my smile slowly drop “You don’t know what he’ll do next”

“That’s true, so I’m just going to enjoy my time until then” I chuckled, bowing a little bit at him before walking away.

I made it successfully to my class, but before I could enter a hand pulled me back forcefully. Did the quiet before the sto

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter