02장

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     

 

    The Cafeteria was buzzing with life, unlike me. I leaned against the counter, glancing around and making sure no one needed anything. It was a tiring day, but since it was already evening the place was becoming less populated, meaning I could sit down and learn for tomorrow.

“Chae-Yeong” Seulgi, a girl I work with, stopped beside me.

“Yes?” I asked, looking at her curiously.

“Could you bring the order to table 8?” She asked, handing me a tray with an orange juice and pork sandwich “Doyoung needs my help in the kitchen”

“Sure, but I’m off after that” I called after her as she nodded, signaling it was okay. I made my way towards table 8, the sooner I finish the better. I placed the order on the table without paying much attention to the one sitting at the table, staring at me wide eyed.

“Chae-Yeong?” I turned around, furrowing my eyebrows. How did he--

“Kyungsoo?” My eyes widened more, the tray almost slipping from my fingers “What are you doing here?” Okay, that was a dumb question. The boy was obviously enjoying his evening, unlike me. He had books in front of him, his round glasses sitting on his nose.

“I’m-I’m studying--you...work here?” He checked out my outfit, making me clear my throat as I looked away uncomfortable.

“Yes” I muttered, gripping the tray harder “I should go”

“Okay” Kyungsoo nodded, looking quite cute with the surprised face he still had. I nodded, my lips and turned around to walk back. However, after a few steps I turned back around, quickly walking back to his table. Kyungsoo was just taking a sip of his orange juice when I leaned down, over him, making him almost choke.

“Don’t tell anyone--” I muttered hurriedly “I know you are Sehun’s friend, please don’t tell anyone”

“I won’t” Kyungsoo shook his head firmly “It’s our secret, yeah?”

“Our...secret?” My eyebrows furrowed, looking at Kyungsoo unsure. He never did anything wrong to me, but he was still friends with Oh Sehun. Should I really trust him? But he already knows, so I have nothing else to do but to trust him.

“Okay, our secret” I nodded quickly, before abruptly turning around and walking back to the counter. I took my books and headed to the back door, getting ready to study. I passed by the big mirror we had in the changing room. My steps halted as I slowly walked back to the mirror. Was I really that ugly like Sehun said? Kyungsoo always seems so on edge when I’m around him. I touched my pale cheek, staring at my dark eyes. I’m not scary, I just look unfriendly. With a sigh I pushed those thoughts to the back of my head and headed to study, school is the second most important thing right now.

 

 

I quickly punched in the numbers to my locker as the warning bell rang. I am late today, but like this I didn’t run into the trio, the devil’s themselves. I groaned as I couldn’t find my history book, banging my head against the door, making me wince.

“Are you okay?” I jumped at the voice, wide eyed looking to my right.

“Yes” I answered monotonously, eyeing Kyungsoo “What?”

“You can’t find your history book?” He asked, looking away when I narrowed my eyes at him.

“How’d you know?” I took a step back, feeling uneasy “Did Sehun make you take it?”

“No!” Kyungsoo exclaimed, making the both of us flinch “No, he definitely didn’t I just--I saw you were looking for it--the warning bell already rang--you can sit beside me this class or we’ll be late--”

“Okay” I said, closing the locker door.

“Okay?” Kyungsoo repeated wide eyed.

“Yes, now let’s go or we both will get detention” I sighed, hurrying down the hallway.

“What?” I heard Kyungsoo mutter as he hurried after me “Okay” I smiled to myself without realizing, it’s a first I guess.

 

The whole day went without much happening, something that made me thankful. I still feared going to my locker knowing that the trio would be there, but I didn’t have a choice. I had my books for my periods, but I still had to pick up a few books that I needed to study from at home...or at the hospital. The long break was what I always dreaded, usually at that time I would stay at the pool or in the hallway when everyone was gone and study at what I could, leaving less work for home. It seems like today, like every day, the odds were against me. The trio was at their lockers when I headed for mine quietly, my head lowered, trying to make myself as small as possible. It became habit to do this, it’s not like I wanted to do it. I felt eyes on me as I fumbled with my books, trying to find the one I would need later. I finally found the three books I needed, at the back of my locker and took them quickly. I closed my locker, locking it back and turned around, heading for the locker rooms. I barely made a few steps before a leg was sticking out, making me trip. I stumbled to the floor, my books flying around me. I hissed when pain shot through my legs, but I was quick to recover. When I looked up, people were staring at me and soon the whole hallway was laughing. I gulped, ignoring the laughs and started gathering my books. Before I could pick up the last one, a foot pressed it against the floor. I took a deep breath, my heart beating fast, hands slightly trembling.

“What? You need it?” Someone snickered from above “Then take it”

“Move your foot and I will” I hissed, glaring at his foot.

“Such a brave girl” He cooed from above, making my blood boil. I took another deep breath, pulling on the book harshly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter