Prologue

Extraordinary?

I was a typical girl. Much like every other teenager. Selfish in my thoughts, dreams and goals. As materialistic as it sounded, my dream was to gain The Three F's.

Fame. Fans. Fortune.

I had researched countless times before on how to get into the entertainment company of my dreams. However, there was just one small problem standing in my way.

I had terrible stage fright. Lame. I know. 

You could ask me any question about auditioning and I could answer you right away without hesitation. How do I audition? No problem. Do I need to prepare a karaoke mixtape? Answered.

But have I actually done it firsthand?
Well, not exactly, at least not yet.
I couldn't figure out how to carry out my plans without getting disapproval from my parents or getting laughed at by my peers. But what I did know was that my chances of success weren't high. Thank goodness I had someone by my side.

Sunji.

Despite being a full Korean, she had migrated to the States at a young age. This gave her the ability to speak fluently in both Korean and English. We shared similar aspirations and she was the only one that never made fun of me when I told her that I wanted to be a singer.  

Someone who meets her for the first time would without a doubt feel that she was an insolent brat who acted like she was the toughest in the world and that nothing could faze her. But deep down, she was really just as sensitive as anyone else and possibly even a little more.

She had built this fantastic facáde that made her look unfriendly and unapproachable but people still admired and loved her. Secretly, I always thought she was a little like me, lonely. The strong walls that encaged her was one that I was more than happy to have broken down. Now we were the best of friends who never spent our time apart. Our friendship was strange. We would insult each other and do anything possible to irk the other, but we both knew that we could trust each other even with our own lives.

Our first meeting was at Seoul Arts High School, which we both attended, and let's just say it wasn't all that pleasant.

 

*flashback*

"! I'm so late! I shouldn't have opted for that extra 5 minutes of sleep!" I cursed under my breath while rushing at full speed towards my school. I was in such a hurry that I didn't even notice this figure appearing so abruptly around the corner. And expectedly, we collided.

Not really collided, more like I rammed into her at full speed.

"Ah!" We both simultaneously cried out when we landed -first on the floor, rubbing our reddening foreheads.

"Mianhae!" I immediately apologised and got up to my feet, offering my hand to her. Instead, she merely scoffed and got up on her own.

"Can't you watch where you're going?" She huffed out, clearly annoyed. Taken aback by her rudeness, my eyes widened and I stood there dumbfounded with my jaw slightly opened.

"And you're looking like a retarded goldfish now. Seriously I can't believe I have to attend this lame excuse for a school. I sure hope not everyone in there is like this retard here. I'm so talking to Mom about this." She groaned before walking off. I was beyond angry. How could someone actually be so rude?!

"Sheesh! I'm bound to get detention now!" I grudgingly hastened my steps towards my assigned classroom, preparing to face my teacher's wrath. Just why did my first teacher of the day have to be the school's worst-tempered teacher?

Thinking about it now, I can't help but smile at our first meeting. Afterall, it did make an impression on both of us and changed our lives for the better. I hope.